EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What if I wanted to go to the Friday prayer? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if I wanted to go to the Friday prayer?
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pollina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear all,

if I (female, christian) wanted to attend the Friday prayer in a mosque, what would I have to do?
For example, what to wear? The veil for sure, but for the rest of the clothes?
And then, just go in there and stand in the back or how can I go there without disturbing the praying people?

Posts: 182 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pollina:
Dear all,

if I (female, christian) wanted to attend the Friday prayer in a mosque, what would I have to do?
And then, just go in there and stand in the back or how can I go there without disturbing the praying people?

Why would you want to attend this, what are you hoping to get out of the experience? Personally I find it impertinent.

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pollina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I think it is one thing to read about a different religion and another thing to experience it personally. I would like to get an impression of it but only if this does not offend muslims in their praying. I also think that when you are with a muslim man one should at least try to understand his religion and to get a feeling about it.
And I don't think this is impertinent at all if one opens his mind for other cultures/religions.

Posts: 182 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dear all,

For example, what to wear?

More importantly you would have to know how to pray.

Just curious ... why do you want to attend the Friday prayer?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you should do this. You are not a Muslim and it would be hypercritical to attend when you don't believe. Often mosque prayers are men only,

Also this is not some sightseeing trip, here lets look at the natives at prayer. The only time you should even think about it if you were invited.

In fact the more I think about it the more it offends me aqnd I am not Muslim.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people still pray at mosques that are visited by tourists - there's just a sectioned off area. people still pray at churches that are vistied by tourists - even when there's rude ones ignoring the no-photos-during services-please notices and talking too loudly over the sermon.

why should it be offensive?

prayer is televised from the holiest of sites all over the world and that's not offensive or seen as a "show", is it?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kkkaaa
Member # 7146

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kkkaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI polli

i think by all means u shud go to the mosque.
but maybe not on firdays as it is very busy, and u may feel awakard.
so for ur own sake, u can go at more quiter.

if u want to go at fridays praer, as women pray in rows, and follow the leader, and if u r in the middle just standing, people near u may be distubed, so best thing for u is to stand on the side..

but stilll people will be rushing around, ann if dey c a women in the side not praying it guna make them think and distub them again in prayer...

but wateve u decide i hope u do learn alot, and stay open minded...[unlike narrow minded women like Ann]

thank u

bye

Posts: 350 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand what's offensive about it either. She wants to go there out of sincere interest - what is wrong with that? I personally think it's a good idea.

I know a Muslim lady who visits churches sometimes and lights candles there. I know an atheist who visits churches to meditate. I've been offered to come along to attend the prayer by Muslim girlfriends. I can't see anything wrong with any of those things

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
people still pray at mosques that are visited by tourists - there's just a sectioned off area. people still pray at churches that are vistied by tourists - even when there's rude ones ignoring the no-photos-during services-please notices and talking too loudly over the sermon.

prayer is televised from the holiest of sites all over the world and that's not offensive or seen as a "show", is it?

I think there is a net difference between tourists visiting a mosque and actually attending Friday prayer.

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
uhhh, innocent question again offending people! I'm not a tourist wanting to see the local people praying! And I was invited by an Egyptian! And as far as I'm aware both christians and muslims still believe in the same god! Good advice not to go on Friday as I really don't want to disturb anybody. I'm learning about Islam and one concept to learn is learning by doing. Sure that's a bit different for a religion but still you can not take everything out of a book but you have to see and feel. And I don't have any problems with people of other religions coming to a church. It shows their interest in another culture and religion and there is nothing wrong with that!
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Mother-in-law, a very special, charming and deeply religious Muslimah, took me to the women's section of a mosque where she attended a prayer during Ramadan (not on Friday) and was very happy I agreed (I am not Muslim). There were hijabs and even 'dress covers' available, however she did not ask me to wear any of them (I offered). I sat on the chair by the wall and prayed as well. It was a profound experience to watch her pray and I certainly appreciate this kind and enchanting gesture.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant believe anyone would tell you you should not do this, You are expressing interest in a religion and wanting to learn more and the only way to do that is to experience it. Islam is a wonderful religion and if you get the chance to go and experience it then by all means please do, dont be discouraged. Probably your best bet would to be contacting a muslim, preferrably a woman and have them go with you, she will be able to instruct you on what you should wear and what you should do, and also the people of the mosque would be happy to tell you more of the religion, at least all of the sheiks i contacted were more than happy to help. It is very good that you want to understand this instead of listening to the world view of it.. go out and find the truth for yourself, i wish more people would.

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dear all,

Pollina,
don't worry about the defensive remarks to your innocent and thoughtful question.

Cover yourself well, and go. Definitely cover your head, all of your hair, your neck & shoulders. If you wear pants make sure they are loose and don't show your shape too much. Long sleeves, nothing tight.

Dress should be floor length, sleeves to your hands, loose. Don't worry about anything else. If you don't want to pray, just sit in the back, quietly and do not talk please.
If you want to talk to some afterwards, they are usually more than excited to speak with you. It might help you to know what they are saying when they pray, but if you just want to see it for yourself it doesn't matter at this point.

I say good for you for being interested in seeing things for yourself. The first time I went to the Mosque I was scared to death, but it really is not a big deal. Being an ex-Christian as well I can tell you it is nothing like the churhes or the integration you might be used to. But it is not THAT different either. People are people remember that.

The women and men are separate so be aware of this, and also take your shoes off please. Try not to speak with the men if you are interested to unless you have some religious based questions, in which case the women can usually help you.

The first time I went, I went with a Muslim friend, and she helped me a lot. If you plan to go alone, I am surprised you are so brave. Then again, perhaps you are interested in Islam. Either way, good luck & take take.

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 06 April 2005).]

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend took me to a mosque. I wore my normal clothes.....which ment legs ,arms covered. All I had to do was cover hair, and take off shoes. I sat at the back on the floor while he prayed...no problems. So i don't see a problem.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pollina, I say go for it and explore!
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germansara
Member # 5920

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for germansara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Pollina,

go for it !
Just do it !

And no matter if you wear right !
If you wear wrong, then you will find many sisters come to you and try to speak with you and will be grazy to tell you everything about Islam. And for sure you will find also a sister comes along with a cover for you
It is one of the 'biggest' doing for a moslem to try to make someone convert.
You will find all sisters kind and helpful.
Don't be afraid..never..to go there.
Do it at Fridayprayers, BECAUSE there are many sisters !
Go early to listen to the lesson. Inschaallah you will like it very much !

Where do you live in Cairo ? If you live in the near of Maadi, then I could go with you !
Usually I nevr go because of the kids (tooo noisy ), but for I would do it
Let me know !

Sara

Posts: 909 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
uff, now I'm relaxed again
Sarah, I'm not in Cairo but Hurghada but sure I will find somebody to go with. Normally I would not be afraid to go on my own but I don't want to make something wrong so I think for the first time it's better to go with muslim girls. For a non-muslim it's perhaps hard to understand why muslims are so into their religion and why religion also rules a lot of daily life as this is not the case in cristianity. It is a private thing and everybody can live it like he/she wants. There are no rules how to pray, when, which direction etc. And so this is new for me and I want to understand what it exactly means and where it comes from. So, I will give it a try and enjoy it!

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POLLINA.... sorry.. problem again!!! i've been here 2 years and I haven't found a mosque women go to for Friday prayer!! I was told of one en El Kornish, but, when I went there.. all men... was a ladies entrance, but was shut!! This is one of the things I miss most about London.. Central mosque in Regents Park, where they have a wonderful 'ladies department'. I pray at home now.
But... if you want to meet for tea and discuss the questions you asked, I'm willing to do this, anytime!!

[This message has been edited by Samia (edited 06 April 2005).]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pollina!

I too would encourage you to go to see a prayer at a mosque. I remember being profoundly affected the first time I watched some Muslims pray. It was two mildly retarded young men who I was working with who let me watch them praying, and I felt very honored that they had shared that with me. It felt like a a big sign of trust that they were letting me in on that part of their world, particularly as I came from a "Christian world" where prayers are seen as a personal private thing. (My mother even now will not stay in a room with me when I am praying, since I accepted Islam, as she feels it is intruding!)

I would like to suggest that it would be better if you went with another woman who could explain what was going to happen before you went to the mosque, and who would be there to support you and answer your questions afterwards. It might also be better if you could find an area to sit in just outside the prayer area where you could still see everything. There are two reasons that I am suggesting this. One is that during the whole of the prayer, and on Friday that includes the khutbah (speech/sermon) too, a praying Muslim is not allowed to talk as this would nullify their prayer, so no one could explain to you what was going on during the prayer anyway. Secondly, as you may know, Muslim women do not pray when they are having their periods, and they can only pass through the mosque at that time, they are not permitted to stay there. They have to take a full ablution before they can stay in the mosque and pray. So as you are not a Muslim (yet, but who knows what Allah has in store for you) it would perhaps be respectful not to sit in the prayer area as you won't be praying either. This way you wouldn't have to worry about wearing prayer clothes, just about dressing respectfully and it may not be seen as too strange as non-praying Muslim women sometimes do that if they go to the mosque with someone else.

As to whether you should go to Friday prayer or not that would perhaps depend on the mosque you wanted to go to, what facilities there were available for women particularly if you wanted to sit just outside the prayer area, and how much Arabic you can understand as to whether you would understand the khutbah or not. But either way, I would say that you will have to prepare yourself for a moving experience.

Samia posted her message while I was writing this!! If you can't find a mosque here in Egypt for Friday prayer, either try outside, find another prayertime, or ask some Muslim women if you can watch them pray.

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 06 April 2005).]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, newcomer. Are you a teacher. If not, I'm sure you'd make a great one.
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Thank's again for all your replies. Samia, I'm not in Hurghada full time at the moment but I will be there again mid of May hopefully. And then I will definitely try to go once. By chance I was in Hurghada once on a Friday and also saw all the people outside the mosque in Sakkala praying which was new for me. And then I was given a nice djallabia and veil with an invitation to go to the prayer. What a coincidence I thought, has to mean something.
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EFLVirgo:
Well said, newcomer. Are you a teacher. If not, I'm sure you'd make a great one.

Thanks EFL. Not exactly a teacher, but a related profession.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pollina ....ppl here are closed minded but they wont say a **** if u did what u intended to do .... just wear muslim women clothes and get in ... dont give a **** ... i can attend christian,jewish prayers with no fear that some one will kick me out or tell me u r a hepocrite .... just do what u want .. and let dogs bark if they want to ... if u r worried...there is a mosque in (el helmia)of the rafe3 family ..they r modern and open minded ppl ... and they will welcome any one that want to attend or hear prayers,lectures or even if u want to ask queations ... peace
Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pollina:
[B]Dear all,

The mosque is like the church a house of God.You will be very welcomed at any mosque Pollina. Just remember to remove your shoes and cover your hair.
Go the women section and sit at the back, so other women could see the Emam.

I am assuming you are somewhere in the west.Choose a western woman who converted and ask her whatever you feel like.
Western converts are of your culture and had the experience of converting to Islam so they will understand you better.

I often go to the church, not to pray but to watch and learn.
Anybody is welcome at any of God's houses.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys after I posted my reply I realised many of you have already answered to her question.
I agree with Noor, Sara and other who have gone for it.
I did take some of my students ( most of them were not moslims )to the central mosque in Regent square in London. It was a wonderful experience to all. The girls even took pictures having the head covers for the first time. Go for it, you will love it.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

I don’t think it is offensive in any way if you want to attend such a thing, unless you are planning to make allot of noise and push people while they are praying !!
or show up naked and shout out loud declaring you worship the deviled.

Pollina , if you want to attend the Friday prays, make sure you go to a mosque where there is a section for women, and be dressed modestly. this is all what you have to do
you don’t have to know how to pray , and you don’t need to pretend you are praying ,
you can go in, sit and observe the prayer , and no one would be offended if you are not trying to offend anyone,
and if you don’t want other females to get distracted by you standing amongst then not praying, just go to the back rows, so no one will see you

a year ago in the Ann Arbor mosque, I was asked by a non Muslim if he can come into the mosque , and explain to me that he is running for election and wanted to talk to the Muslim community , he was afraid if he went in all the Muslims will be offended, because he believes Muslims conceder non Muslims infidels who are not allowed to enter holly sites,
he wanted to stay outside the mosque till the prayer is over and start talking to people leaving the mosque, , it was snowing , and I told him he should wait inside, and once he got inside the prayer started , and he once again got scared because he doesn’t know how to pray, I tried to explain to him that he doesn’t need to pretend he is praying, but he insisted to stand next to us in line and follow our moves,
I still believe , it wasn’t necessary, and even with him pretending to be praying or not , was not offensive to any one
Pollina , go and do whatever you want,
mosques, Churches, and singings are supposed to be house of god, and it belongs to EVERYONE , just respect other's beliefs.

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saladinwannabe
Member # 7234

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saladinwannabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:

Pollina,
don't worry about the defensive remarks to your innocent and thoughtful question.

Cover yourself well, and go. Definitely cover your head, all of your hair, your neck & shoulders. If you wear pants make sure they are loose and don't show your shape too much. Long sleeves, nothing tight.

Dress should be floor length, sleeves to your hands, loose. Don't worry about anything else. If you don't want to pray, just sit in the back, quietly and do not talk please.
If you want to talk to some afterwards, they are usually more than excited to speak with you. It might help you to know what they are saying when they pray, but if you just want to see it for yourself it doesn't matter at this point.

I say good for you for being interested in seeing things for yourself. The first time I went to the Mosque I was scared to death, but it really is not a big deal. Being an ex-Christian as well I can tell you it is nothing like the churhes or the integration you might be used to. But it is not THAT different either. People are people remember that.

The women and men are separate so be aware of this, and also take your shoes off please. Try not to speak with the men if you are interested to unless you have some religious based questions, in which case the women can usually help you.

The first time I went, I went with a Muslim friend, and she helped me a lot. If you plan to go alone, I am surprised you are so brave. Then again, perhaps you are interested in Islam. Either way, good luck & take take.

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 06 April 2005).]

nooralhaq, Mash'Allah! You said everything I wanted to say. I want to say it will be much easier if Pollina takes a Muslim woman friend with her.

Posts: 19 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dear all,

Dear Pollina
I guess your problem is not with the clothes or anything else but the problem is with language u speak English and the language in any mosque is Arabic so u will not understand anything of what he saying. i think u just want to see how we meet in this day in mosque and how we act and how we do our prayer.Anyway it is new experment u will like it. and if u want to know more about islam i would like to help u

best Regrads
Mohamed

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wouwou
Member # 7264

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for wouwou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Pollina,

Visting the mosque - on friday or whenever- will not add much to you. I do agree with the friend who said that unless you have a thought about the whole issue, the whole visit will not exceed visiting a new & nice place only.
Being ex-muslim I do beleive that Jesus is the only gateway to LIFE. There is no one can SAVE you except HIM. I found life in HIM. Please check this interesting website (and all my muslim friends) http://www.islam-christianity.net/ and I pray that God Shines by his Light on you. And by the way i invite you to visit jesus church and pray to the living God. Love in Jesus. WouWOu

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidmetal
Member # 7266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidmetal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear Pollina
your intrest to learn about islam is noble, but i am afraid that your approach is not quite the best. As a muslim i know that women are not supposed to pray in mosques it is prefered that women pray in their own houses unlike men. yet some women pray at mosques but that is more likely to happen in the holy month of ramadan as most of the time there is religous lessons after the prayers. so if u r really interested to know how muslims pray on fridays u can watch T.v. instead of going there unaccompanied by any woman u may be misunderstood by some extremists. if u still insist to go to a mosque i would suggest that u go acompanied by a muslim female and dressed in the right manner (veils and long skirts). best of luck

Posts: 5 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kidmetal:
As a muslim i know that women are not supposed to pray in mosques it is prefered that women pray in their own houses unlike men.

It would be fairer to say that this is your personal interpretation instead of claiming it's a fact.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi Dalia!

It is actually a fact:

It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A woman’s prayer in her room is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her closet is better than her prayer in her room.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 570; al-Tirmidhi, 1173. This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb, 1/136).

Women are encouraged to pray at home in their rooms or in a small area like a dressing room, but if they want to go to the mosque their husbands have been ordered not to stop them. Although they should of course meet all the proprieties for doing so like being properly covered and not having her period. And all women are infact enouraged to go to the Eid prayers whether or not they can pray, with those not praying due to menstruation sitting outside the prayer area if they are praying indoors.

What kidmetal was describing was what actually happens, as most women do not go to the mosque. Also it is not obligatory on them to go as it is for men, particularly for Friday prayers.

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
quote:
As a muslim i know that women are not supposed to pray in mosques it is prefered that women pray in their own houses unlike men.

It would be fairer to say that this is your personal interpretation instead of claiming it's a fact.
:)NOT FARD A DUTY
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman, non-stop, righteous machine:
quote:
quote:

Researching? [Big Grin]
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karemo7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I don't think you should do this. You are not a Muslim and it would be hypercritical to attend when you don't believe. Often mosque prayers are men only,

FROM WHERE YOU GET THIS WRONG INFO, MANY MOSQUES HAVE A PART FOR WOMEN

Also this is not some sightseeing trip, here lets look at the natives at prayer. The only time you should even think about it if you were invited.

In fact the more I think about it the more it offends me aqnd I am not Muslim.

EVREY ONE CAN VISIT MOSQUES WITHOUT ANY INVITATION
Posts: 367 | From: cairo , egypt | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pollina probably i will be in hurghada on the feast holiday , i can take u to see the feast prayers as well as a friday praying . i think it will be a nice experience for u .

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polina
Member # 12234

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pollina,u have my full support!I can't see in it anything bad...as someone said it is God house!Have my best,and I'll wait to hear for impressions!
Posts: 169 | From: somewhere | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
send me pvt msg Pollina if u care to do that during the feast when i wil be in hurghada

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erin1122
Member # 8238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for erin1122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just cover your hair and you shouldn't have any problems.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pollina, by all means go. No one has the right to stop you, especially if you've invited by somone.
I see it as a way for people to know true Islam and try to get rid of these bad stereotypical images that many ignorant people of the west have.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by focus683:
Pollina, by all means go. No one has the right to stop you, especially if you've invited by somone.
I see it as a way for people to know true Islam and try to get rid of these bad stereotypical images that many ignorant people of the west have.

And plenty of Arabs have some ignorant views of western people.

Its strange to me how westerners will pick and chose who are the bad people and which cultures are not significant. Westerners do find plenty of cultures not their own to be worthy of respect and emulation.

While Arabs tend to have the view that any culture other than their own is inferior and not worthy of respect or learning from.

See the difference?

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear as Muslim I do not see nothing wrong or offensive in what you asking to do? And never feel bad that you asked that…. Just listen to the good answers you got and I agree as first time tray to go in any prayer that less people with a lady friend of yours so she can tell you what you should do and where you can seat.? And after that you can go for Friday prayer….

Samarra nothing is wrong in the western culture and nothing is wrong in our culture the only problems we both build our opinion on books or media and what it tell us about the other culture and what it means while her is ES we can talk and know each other culture with respect for each other. Just we both need to learn to talk and listen without getting so defensive or offensive over anything…

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahly:

Samarra nothing is wrong in the western culture and nothing is wrong in our culture the only problems we both build our opinion on books or media and what it tell us about the other culture and what it means while her is ES we can talk and know each other culture with respect for each other. Just we both need to learn to talk and listen without getting so defensive or offensive over anything…

Take a look at the Arabs who have spent time in the west! Even after a decade they still believe all the crazy conspiracy theories handed to them by crackpot cassette tape sermon Sheiks.

Yet when a westerner spends time in the Middle East they actually learn from the culture and walk away with a better impression of Arabs.

The difference is in the west children are taught to question authority and that their self-image isn't defined by a bunch of fanatical weirdos.

Even a number of Bible-totting evangelist come back with a better image of the Arab Middle East. Why can't the wahabi ingrained fanatics (who I find just as offensive as the Bible thumpers) who spend several years to over a decade in the west find one nice thing to say about the west?

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure if Pollina wanted to go to the Mosque she has been by now.
Her question was posted in April of 2005!!!!

I am not a Muslim but I have stated before that I have great respect for Islam and I went to the mosque in my home state with an Egyptian friend and it was during Ramadan and just so happened to be on a Friday evening. I had never before felt so welcome by others. There was a table set up in the back and a lot of women were sitting there and were not praying (not sure why they weren't) But many people came up to me and spoke to me and even sat with me. They also had a huge buffett like dinner to break fast after the prayer and I was not once left alone. Several woman even gave me their phone numbers and I also was given a Quran which was such a nice gesture.
Maybe not everyone would have such a welcoming visit as I did and it possibly may be that I was so welcomed since I went to a Mosque in the states but I would tell anyone that wanted to vist, even if not a Muslim, to go and see what it's like.

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poliina, you can visit a mosque for Friday prayers or any other prayers. Wear a scarf of course and cover yourself. No one needs to know you are Muslim or not, you will not be asked and SHOULD be welcomed even if you tell them you are not muslim.

Women DO attend Friday prayers as well as all other prayers, they are not required to stay at home!

You can go in and just go to the back of all the other women and sit down. You may be ushered to join the line to pray, just shake your head and sit down. Women dont pray when menstruating but can go to the mosque so it will be assumed you are menstruating.

I think its a lovely idea personally. You are right that if you are marrying/married to a muslim then you should find out what you can about Islam and yes that would mean going to the mosque.

They are not scary places only for Muslims! I visited many Mosques in 3 countries before i was Muslim and was always greated with love and respect and made welcome.

Best time to go to the mosque to get the 'feel' is during the night prayers in Ramadan. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman, non-stop, righteous machine:
quote:
quote:

Are you stalking me? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Razz]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Thanks for all the answers. It never happened that I went to the prayer as things (or rather the guy) turned out to be fake. Anyway there is nothing wrong to experience a new culture or religion as long as you respect local/religious procedures.
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
or rather the guy
FOR THE gUY U WANT TO GO TO THE MOSQUE OR FOR God?

quote:

Are you stalking me?

not really but I search in the old threads. u r Dalia without asrisk and dalia with astrisk the coiming name is Dalia**, ROFl
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Batman, you might have forgotten but we have the same God, I'm christian!
So, no right to doubt any of my purposes.

ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samarra_Anissa:
quote:
Originally posted by ahly:

Take a look at the Arabs who have spent time in the west! Even after a decade they still believe all the crazy conspiracy theories handed to them by crackpot cassette tape sermon Sheiks.

Yet when a westerner spends time in the Middle East they actually learn from the culture and walk away with a better impression of Arabs.

The difference is in the west children are taught to question authority and that their self-image isn't defined by a bunch of fanatical weirdos.

Even a number of Bible-totting evangelist come back with a better image of the Arab Middle East. Why can't the wahabi ingrained fanatics (who I find just as offensive as the Bible thumpers) who spend several years to over a decade in the west find one nice thing to say about the west?

[Smile] I do respect your point of view and also what you think is going on? But let me tell you something…

It is not true we disrespect your culture that is not true at all, why? Let see facts how we can disrespect the culture that take the human been life high stages of better life and also provide all of us better plant to leave on…

But what are happing? It is a lots of reasons such economy, political reasons and for sure less education and knowledge for each of other culture.

You in western had same problems when religions control life "pay for the church to get the pleasing" same thing happen now her in that part of the world. And as the western came out of that and went up to really invite and make the life better and the religions become only at the mosque and also in the church but no longer control the civil life… and that changes will and it happing in the east and will take time as much as it was taken in western culture…

Again you never meet or see our kids and how the new generation do think and talk, Egyptian kids are one of the most higher percentage of user for the internet and they have better knowledge of the world than us… you just need to talk with them than you will see no different between your kids in the west and our kids in the east and than you will do respect them and see they are really no different…

You mention some Islamic groups or individuals and show me how they act and say about other cultures as yours? Ok I agree they are wrong and defiantly wrong but also there is new Nazi in Europe and red nick in USA do the same…. So do you like me to dance around this two group and take them as example of your own culture?

No my dear I am not that close mind and I know they are not the true present the western culture because I have good knowledge of your culture and what the value of it… so can you do the same and see the true about our culture and the good value we have in our culture?…

But if you like to keep dancing about the bad side of some people of my culture, I will be so happy to dance around the bad people on your culture too:

By the way it is nice talks [Smile] [Wink] [Smile]

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com