EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving To Cairo in 2 weeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving To Cairo in 2 weeks
EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for EgyptCajun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

My company is relocating me to Cairo from the USA (San Diego, CA) for a multi year assignment. We have people there already who have been there as much as 6 years, but I was interested in some other opinions as to the best places to look for a flat. Say in the $1500-2000 USD a month range (8675-11567 Egyptian pounds).

Why EgyptCajun for a username? Because I'm from the Big Easy, New Orleans, LA. Only been in San Diego a year or two.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions, flames and negativity will be tactfully ignored.

Brian

Posts: 16 | From: Maaid, Cairo Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tombsman
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tombsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brian
for such an amount of moeny u can get any appartment in cairo depending on where ur company is located..u can try these web sites for up-to-date ads regarding appartments, they contain photos of the appartments: www.e-dar.com www.betna.com

u can email me if u need any info: tombsman@hotmail.com

Posts: 48 | From: 6 october, giza, egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EgyptCajun:
Hi!

My company is relocating me to Cairo from the USA (San Diego, CA) for a multi year assignment. We have people there already who have been there as much as 6 years, but I was interested in some other opinions as to the best places to look for a flat. Say in the $1500-2000 USD a month range (8675-11567 Egyptian pounds).

Why EgyptCajun for a username? Because I'm from the Big Easy, New Orleans, LA. Only been in San Diego a year or two.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions, flames and negativity will be tactfully ignored.

Brian

Hello Brian,
don't make it general like that. u have to choose where is your work location to choose a flat near of it and how much area u want and is it furnished or not?

Best Regards
Mohamed

[This message has been edited by MohdAnwar (edited 16 April 2005).]

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TravelerLady
Member # 6389

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TravelerLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brian,

More than 1000 $ will get you a real cool flat
Email my boyfriend, he will help you out, he has lots of experinces in such **** .
aarw13@hotmail.com

Posts: 25 | From: IT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 887

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like to say welcome! I can't help you much as far as the apartment goes, I live in Alex. However, for that amount you should be able to find something very nice.Guess it depends on the location.

By the way, I'm from Hammond,La. I have lived in Alex 16 years. Small world, huh?

Posts: 143 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aishadesouki
Member # 7168

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aishadesouki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This msg is for Lynn.

Hello, I am moving to Alexandria on May 1st. Can I ask you some questions about it. Where are you from? Are you female? Do you like it there? My husband is very afraid that I will get there and then high tail it back here.

Where I am staying has no air conditioning or heat but I did a search on the internet and the temps seem moderate. Does it get really hot or really cold in Alex?

I also make jewelry and lace. Do you think I could sell them to tourist? I doubt Egyptians would be interested but maybe.

I may go to the Fashio Design Center in Cairo for one year for Pattern Making. Have you heard of it?

Sorry for all the questions but I am excited and scared to death because I only have two one-way tickets for me and my daughter. My husband will visit us next year.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by aishadesouki (edited 17 April 2005).]

Posts: 20 | From: asheboro, nc usa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 887

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi aisha,
First of all,welcome to Egypt! I am an American woman. Please email me cajuninegypt@yahoo.com I will be happy to answer any questions that you have. Don't worry, being excited and scared to death, is a normal reaction to have. Just to let you know, we have a group of foreign women, that have become great friends! We get together for coffee, shopping, sometimes just for a chat, we would love to have you join us!
quote:
Originally posted by aishadesouki:
This msg is for Lynn.

Hello, I am moving to Alexandria on May 1st. Can I ask you some questions about it. Where are you from? Are you female? Do you like it there? My husband is very afraid that I will get there and then high tail it back here.

Where I am staying has no air conditioning or heat but I did a search on the internet and the temps seem moderate. Does it get really hot or really cold in Alex?

I also make jewelry and lace. Do you think I could sell them to tourist? I doubt Egyptians would be interested but maybe.

I may go to the Fashio Design Center in Cairo for one year for Pattern Making. Have you heard of it?

Sorry for all the questions but I am excited and scared to death because I only have two one-way tickets for me and my daughter. My husband will visit us next year.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by aishadesouki (edited 17 April 2005).]

Posts: 143 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeAgift
Member # 7143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeAgift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for a US company that will pay me Us dollars to live and work in egypt long or short term. Already invesitigating UN, WHO and other government options . Open to private companies too.
Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EgyptCajun:
Hi!

Brian

There are only a few places to start looking so you can narrow it down.

MAADI is mostly for families but there are some singles that live there. If you have a family that needs good schools or if you are a guy that can't live without *baseball, Maadi is good for you.
*Maadi - home to Victory Field...the only place to play baseball (softball, whatever) in Cairo

ZAMALEK - I always recommend this to 30-something singles. If you are older than 30-something, but feel 30-something, it's still for you. Zamalek is THE cultural center in Cairo and has the best activities and lifestyle for young singles, and of course beautiful views of the Nile if you can afford it.

HELIOPOLIS/DOKKI/MOHANDISEEN - good options if you want to feel as if you are really living more among Egyptians, but like the idea of having a club for foreigners near by. Getting to Maadi or Zamalek is a short taxi ride or Metro ride away for social activities that you might find to do there.

Check out www.cairohash.com before you move here....especially if you like running, walking, hiking and beer.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eshta
Member # 7338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eshta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American here also,,,scared is normal, just be open to new ideas and be very laid back..lol I've been here 18 years and plan to retire here so guess it can't be all bad!
There are a lot of advantages to living here, you can get a lot of help, labor is inexpensive. Easy to get spoiled.

Posts: 11 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptCajun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lynn,

Yep, a very small world, lol. I guess you must like it here a lot to have stayed that long!

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by lynn:
Just like to say welcome! I can't help you much as far as the apartment goes, I live in Alex. However, for that amount you should be able to find something very nice.Guess it depends on the location.

By the way, I'm from Hammond,La. I have lived in Alex 16 years. Small world, huh?

Posts: 16 | From: Maaid, Cairo Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptCajun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links, I have contacted the folks at e-dar.com and will call betna.com tomorrow.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by tombsman:
Hi Brian
for such an amount of moeny u can get any appartment in cairo depending on where ur company is located..u can try these web sites for up-to-date ads regarding appartments, they contain photos of the appartments: www.e-dar.com www.betna.com

u can email me if u need any info: tombsman@hotmail.com

EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
Hi Mohamed,

The office is in Heliopolis, but most if not all of the U.S. staff live in Maadi, so there are drivers already picking people up there.

So I guess Maadi is the place.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by MohdAnwar:
Hello Brian,
don't make it general like that. u have to choose where is your work location to choose a flat near of it and how much area u want and is it furnished or not?

Best Regards
Mohamed

[This message has been edited by MohdAnwar (edited 16 April 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com