EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What furniture and kitchen things cost, please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What furniture and kitchen things cost, please?
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please help me get idea of possible costs associated with furnishing a new home, and what I should take with me or what is easily available in egypt.

To begin with, I have not really understood the situation with imports in Egypt: do they (you!) import? Freely and everything? Or restrictedly? Or simply limited choice?

And then the approximate prices please (maybe will come handy to more people here :): You can for example and if know, give the lowest price and then for something imported or what is considered real value, posh or simply desirable, for comparison.

1) kitchen wallboards (ca 3 m, floor-to-ceiling, with sink etc, the beginning price)
2) fridge (incl. freezer w. 2-3 shelves)
3) gas stove
is it possible to have a separate gas cooking plate and electric oven installed into bank/wall, or are these only available in some abnormally expensive German ranges?
4) TV (21'' half-flat will do but you can also quote price for small home cinema, for comparison purpose :)
5) music centre good enough for classical m. but not neccessarily with size measured in sq metres. Right now I have a simple small Panasonic 2x30W, AM/FM& CD only, that cost me ca 1500 LE some yrs ago, but if I'm going to buy a next one, I'd better upgrade. Are the radio frequencies same that in Europe (AM/FM) or do I need a totally Egyptian radio?

6) Sofa for living room, now THAT should be ma ximum quality, with handicraft springs and feather seat cushions if possible, no bubble plastic. Can you get Egyptian-produced design and quality? Or import? Same applies the bed for bedroom.

7) Price not important here, but can you get nice modern tableware (white with no patterns) in E, and
8) can you get quality steel design forks, knives etc? and
9) drinks glasses, like for wine, stylish glass of type Riedel, or chrystal?

10) Feather bedclothes, the cover&pillows, expensive or cheap? Can be anything betw. 400LE and 2000LE in my small town here.
11) Bedclothes, linen or satin, modern sleek, no fancy sashes or lace or anything, available or not? Cheap or expensive? I think I'd pay around 600LE here for a good life-lasting set. And what is the regular double size, please, here it is 220x240 for most super supersize. Pillows vary a lot I guess.

12) Are wireless internet routers available for private persons or do they require permits or something? If I bring one from here, 400LE, EU standard, will I get police visits for illegal radio operations? or will it even work?

13) Everyday things like wallboards for bedroom, a dinner table, 6 chairs, simple but full wood, approximate beginning price.

That should cover the basics :). Thankful for any insight. BTW what would be the cheapest destination for possible shopping trips to outside world from Cairo--London? Milan?? Istanbul??? Or there is enough choice locally?

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 18 April 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty please?
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggum
Member # 7129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiggum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
Pretty please?

Come on folks, I am interested too.

I want to know what it will cost me to furnish an apartment if I buy one during my visit very soon.(may be not the exact specs. nevermind wants, but it will give me an idea)......so please do answer

wiggum

Posts: 78 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best to find a good carpenter and get everything made here!! Its what I did!!!
Cheaper.. and you get exactly what you want!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Best to find a good carpenter and get everything made here!! Its what I did!!!
Cheaper.. and you get exactly what you want!

That's certainly an idea, too. Any price guidance here, Samia, what is reasonable to expect for a kitchen or apartment-full of cupboards? We will not judge the value of you as human being based on what you recommend to spend! at least I don't have the habit :).

I quite like the solid wood I've seen in Egypt although I have no idea where you get it from, because I see no trees :))). Also I like that there is real marble in kitchens everywhere, not the cheap plastic surrogate stuff.

Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind, it will be cheaper to buy all your furniture in Egypt, they will charge you a lot of money to import it, not only shipping, but customs can charge you whatever they want, they dont seem to have a system there.

For example, you can get wall cabinets for your kitchen for as low as 1200 LE up to 10,000 LE, it depends on your taste and the design.

9 times out of 10, all the apartments are already furnished, unless you are getting a newly built home, you dont have to worry about furniture, unless you're like me and absolutely hate the taste of the landlord. I replaced all the furniture. We got a bedroom set for 15,000 LE, but it would have cost $8000 for the same style in the states, but you can get bedroom sets for as low as 1500LE, again it depends on your taste, and most of the furniture stores, at least the ones here in Alex, will custom make your furniture if you dont like the fabric their furniture is made from, or if you hate that the wood is painted gold, and you prefer the natural wood colors, its all up to you. I saw nice designs, but the fabric and wood finish, had to be redone.

All of the furniture is that good solid wood, that would cost a fortune in the states, I don't know where you're from, but lets say it cost a fraction of the price.

Stay away from any stores that have the name "American" in it or find yourself paying "American Prices", for example I saw a living room set at one for 35,000 LE, and had someone at an "Egyptian" furniture store to make it for 5000 LE.

Expect to pay about 1200 LE for queen sized spring mattresses, because most of the mattresses you find are the futon type, but you can get them for 200 LE.

TV- Egyptian brand 21 inch for 900LE, foreign brands 1200LE and up.

fridge- 1200LE up to 7000LE, depends on size.

Tell your husband to take you to Attaba in Cairo to get all your appliance cheap, or if in ALexandria go to Mansheya.

You can get all your silverware, pot ware, and dinnerware, cheap, but again everyone's taste is different when it comes to sheets and comforters, and I didnt find one in the entire country that I like, with all floral prints that are not my type, so I brought those from the states.

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Thanks, Habiba1! Your estimations are appreciated. I'm going to try buy an apartment, then I suppose I need buy/replace furniture and everything. Though maybe would be good idea try to rent for long term at first, learning to know the venue and really search for a nice one.
mara
Member # 2693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I am irish and have apts. to rent and for sale....you might not think my taste is too bad! I oversaw the complete building and decorating myself so can vouch that the building is solid and sound! There is a coffee shop and communal area on the ground floor so you'll make friends easily. Also, at some point (in the near future I hope!) there is a lap pool, jacuzzi and alternative therapy centre going in. Contact me to see if you are interested and there are some prelim photos on www.rentaflategypt.com

Posts: 29 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com