EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » To live and work in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To live and work in Egypt
Chenni81
Member # 7358

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Chenni81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As anyone who has read my other message will already know (sorry!) I'm a 24 year old British girl living in Spain.
I have been thinking about moving to Egypt for a time to work and learn arabic (already had plans to do this before meeting my Egyptian boyfriend) but I have no idea how to go about it. What documentation is needed? What type of price do you pay for a small flat? How do you go about getting one? What papers are needed to work there? Etc, etc.!!!
I'm not going to come immediately but I want to start looking round and finding out these things for when I make up my mind.
What kind of jobs are available to a 24 year old British girl, bilingual in Spanish and English, speaking French and Italian, some Greek and a few words of Portuguese and German. I have a degree in Translation and Interpretation, and am also interested in working in tourism.
Thanks for any help. Take care all and have a good day.

Posts: 17 | From: Málaga, Spain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I would suggest is that you apply to one of the tour or hotel companies in the Uk asking to work as a travel rep/customer service rep in Egypt. With your linguistic qualifications you should have no problems.

To get names of companies Go into any travel agents and ask for brochures on Egypt. Search on the net. Also don't forget compnaies like Saga who cater for older travellers.

With hotels again searh on the net for international chains with hotels in Egypt. I knwo someone out in Luxor who works as a PA to the manager of the Sheraton and she has been here a long time and loves it.

Your Spanish contacts might also be able to help. They might have sister hotels/tour companies out here.

If you get the job beforehand then they take care of all the paperwork regarding work visa's etc. They will also help you with accommodation, once you are here you can investigate and find alternatives if that doesn't suit you. You can be sure they will be paying you the kind of wage to have a European style of life.

Good luck

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tombsman
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tombsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u can also try these sites: www.skill-link.com www.bayt.com www.wazefty.com www.thejobmasters.com www.careeregypt.com www.egyrec.com www.jobsinegypt.com

Posts: 48 | From: 6 october, giza, egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chenni81:
I have a degree in Translation and Interpretation

One more option is contacting the translation or localization companies in your country, or any of the pan-European ones that work for either businesses or the EU, in Brussels or elsewhere, or even Egypt, but pay may be lower, just search in the web...

(went looking right now and found e.g. this one) http://www.jobsinegypt.com/Job/Job_in_Egypt.asp?/eRevMax_Egypt/Full_Time_Translators/785/

...and try get job assignments with them. Then you can work over internet from wherever you choose to be, have them transfer your fees to your international bank account at home safely and conveniently and draw out from ATM in Egypt--pocket the hefty income and enjoy life on all other days when there is no work :).

The sole minus is the solitude--no colleagues, no chatting etc. But pay should be good, esp. compared to incomes in Egypt and you are your own master and can schedule yourself how much work you want (if there is too much :). Sometimes you need to react superfast because a text is needed NOW! but it is still better than fixed hours in office. Internet opportunites are quite good in Egypt, even wireless is spreading little by little.

I do not know though what the job situation is with any of your language combinations.

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 23 April 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chenni81
Member # 7358

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Chenni81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much to you all for your advice. Take care.
Posts: 17 | From: Málaga, Spain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com