EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » opening bank account

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: opening bank account
aussiemat
Member # 6132

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for aussiemat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi i was wondering how easy it is to open a bank account in cairo i will be living there for 2 years and will have contract on house but i will not be working so is this possible
Posts: 70 | From: australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you want a savings account in domestic or foreign currency, bring your passport, your house contract and if you have any bills (utility, phone, etc.) with you. you should open without any problems somewhere like EAB (Egyptian Arab Bank) which also allows electronic money transfers from your account in egypt to any overseas checking/savings accounts.

it's far, far simpler than opening an account in europe or the States.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I opened mine at the Banque de Cairo I only needed my passport. I opened it before I moved here and was just a tourist at the time.
Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi i know this has nothing to do with the topic, but obviously from your name youre australian and inshallah i will be moving to australia, sydney, so just out of curiosity whereabouts in australia are you from?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kkkaaa
Member # 7146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kkkaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are there any interest free-bank in egypt?

do u think i can esacpe the commsion on exchange rate if i transfer money from the UK bank to an egypt bank

good idea? anyone thinking on the same wavelenths as this bright smart lad :P

Posts: 350 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about using ATM cards from egypt abroad, what do u think of CIB? I have a savings account with them, and they assured me that their atm works all over the world except Canada. I've also heard from some people that after travelling, they found it not working.. If anyone has experience with CIB, please let me know!
Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aussiemat
Member # 6132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aussiemat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
hi i know this has nothing to do with the topic, but obviously from your name youre australian and inshallah i will be moving to australia, sydney, so just out of curiosity whereabouts in australia are you from?

i am from sydney

Posts: 70 | From: australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
[B]if you want a savings account in domestic or foreign currency, bring your passport, your house contract and if you have any bills (utility, phone, etc.) with you.

And if in local currency, I recommend the post office a/c. their interest is above 10%.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is actually forbidden for Muslims to either take or pay interest (riba), and alhamdu lillah, Muslims are now waking up to this and so there are many Islamic banks opening throughout the world now offering an alternative way of banking and many other banks are offering interest-free accounts.

Egypt now has a few banks and financial institutions that are based on Islamic financial rulings: Alwatany Bank of Egypt, Cairo; Egyptian Company for Business and Trade S.A.E; Egyptian Saudi Finance Bank (Dallah Al Baraka); Cairo;Gulf Company for Financial Investment; Faisal Islamic Bank of Egypt, Cairo; Islamic Bank International for Investment and Development, Cairo; Islamic Investment and Development Co., Cairo; and the National Bank for Development, Cairo. The most well-known and established bank seems to be the Faisal bank.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com