EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » An Essay!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Essay!
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hya Everyone,

I need your help so badly.
Soon I'll apply to my college (AUC) and I need to write an essay (in order to enclose it with the application form). Can I get any advises about that? I haven't written any essay before in Egnlish..so I need examples or links to help me out!
I've tried to search over net. Most of the websites give you brief info & ask you to pay to get more! What a greedy people!

Thanx everyone!

Bob,

PS\ If you have loads of info, you can contact me via e-mail.

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
[B]Hya Everyone,

Can I get any advises about that? I haven't written any essay before in Egnlish..

Bob, How about the tens of essays you keep hitting us with since you started on this board?

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you have to write an essay about?
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
Hya Everyone,

I need your help so badly.
Soon I'll apply to my college (AUC) and I need to write an essay (in order to enclose it with the application form). Can I get any advises about that? I haven't written any essay before in Egnlish..so I need examples or links to help me out!
I've tried to search over net. Most of the websites give you brief info & ask you to pay to get more! What a greedy people!

Thanx everyone!

Bob,

PS\ If you have loads of info, you can contact me via e-mail.

Hunted_Porcelain,

Why not write about something you know? Most college entrance essays want to see if the student has sufficient skills in grammar and creativity. I think writing about someone who influenced your decisions in life would be good. Maybe write about people and issues (since you like to write in the forum).

Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone,
Salma I thought you hate me, but now I'm sure that you do.
Nora I'm not quite sure about what to write & that's the problem! Since it's something for the college It's might about why I want to apply to the AUC in specific.
Shadya I think you helped me a lot! Maybe I have to write about that. Though, it's an accident which influenced me loads in ma life. I'll keep that in my mind! Thanxxx a lot!
I'll be waiting for other plans. So keep posting if u have ideas! Thanx ppl!

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also went to AUC , and i had to write an essay. this was about 8 years ago, but i think it was about why i wanted to go to AUC, what do i wanted to study, my goals etc.
whats your essay about? how many words? i did a quick search, and found this site, www.cyberessays.com, hope it helps!

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
[B]Everyone,
Salma I thought you hate me, but now I'm sure that you do.

Bob, I hate all my students. that is why they get good grades.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7aya,
Exactly, that is what I'm supposed to do!
But I guess i have no reason. I mean my father forced me to apply to the AUC. lol I can't write that! Can I?
You said before that you're a journalist!
So you've studied Journalism & Mass Communication @ the AUC? God, that's my college too! Is it good one? is there any advises I should've thought about??
Thanxxx

Bob,

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 7aya:
i did a quick search, and found this site, [URL=http://www.cyberessays.com,]

7aya,
Take it from a 10 years lecturer, a cheating student does not fool his teacher.We know tens of such sites in advance.

It is not right to copy such essays. Ideally Bob would read a bit about what interests him or the reasons of why he choose that particular university or department.

There will be no harm if a student viewed such sites but not to copy blindly.
When we assess a student work, there is least one other moderator and may be another experienced lecturer to finally verify the student work .

take my advice, I witnessed two students discharged after completing a whole year for that very reason.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
salama, i was NOT encouraging him to cheat i was merely hoping that this site might help him out. i thought maybe if he read some essays he might get the hang of it. I'M REALLY PISSED YOU THOUGHT I WAS TELLING HIM TO CHEAT!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 7aya:
i thought maybe if he read some essays he might get the hang of it. I'M REALLY PISSED YOU THOUGHT I WAS TELLING HIM TO CHEAT!

7aya, do not get pissed off before you understand the post.
I was merely drawing an example as a lecturer myself of not copying these sites.
When started my PhD research, I did not know how to go about it. I contacted the university and asked.They sent me a list of ideas and advised me to view some of the old researchs.
I was not pissed off by my husband advice of not to imitate some of these I read.

These sites 7aya are read by the academics many times over.It is the stupid student who would copy them into fooling his tutors.

Remember when I have written before that you remind me the young Dina at 17-19 yrs of age?
yes I used to get pissed off by all and every advice given to me!

In a few years time, you would not get pissed off by any thing ! try it and remember me then.

Khentiamentiu333
Member # 6109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khentiamentiu333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Salama,

I'm just curious, where do you teach? Do you teach high school or college? What subject(s) do you teach?

You made the statement, "Bob, I hate all my students." If you truly do hate all of your students, then you should not be teaching. If you don't really hate them but just make them work hard, then that's another story! Which one is true?

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Khentiamentiu333:
[B]Hi Salama,

I'm just curious, where do you teach? Do you teach high school or college? What subject(s) do you teach?

I do teach International Marketing.

My students are my source of pride.They are also my friends.

And by the way, I am also a very good teacher .

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 01 May 2005).]

Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
7aya,
Thanx! I don't understand why Salma thought that I'm cheating. Now Cheating is asking for help!
I haven't said that I'm gonna copy what anyone wrote.
I've had 90 @ my Thanwia & I was the president of ma class for three years ahead. but that doesn't mean I'm a genius. I still need help!

My father came from poor family & he knows the value of what he's offering for me. Is it possible that he knows am losser & he's doing all this for me?
Am I so pathetic to that point Salma?

Anyway, 7ayat thanx for what you've done so far. I don't want you to go in such problems or arguments becoz of me! I know you would help me! But just forget the whole issue.
And Salma what you've typed is really hurts (Students can love their teachers that's why they success! Grades do nothing if there was no success or love for the subject itself!). Plus I'm not asking anyone to cheat for me an exam & give me answers.
Clear example! If I went to any college & started to study a subject I haven't known about it ever. If I went to any student who has done this subject & I asked him\her about what the style of the exam in the end of the term. That's cheating tight?
I hope academics would read this topic! You have no idea how you made me look like. God!

Khentiamentiu333
Member # 6109

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Khentiamentiu333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my personal opinion Bob, I don't think there is any problem with you looking at that site just to get an idea of what other students wrote about or the format other students used.

When you write your essay, make it personal and don't forget to check spelling and grammar! I've never applied to AUC though, so I don't really know what they expect. Sorry I'm not much help.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
excuse me salama if you had actually read the post i wrote before, you would know that i'm not a 17 year old girl, but a 25 year old woman. i went to auc graduated four years ago with high honors, and at the moment hold a respectable job. so PLEASE stop talking to me like i'm a teenager.
hunted porcelain, i still dont think theres anyting wrong with checking that site out. you can look at the format, the style of writing, the way each writer expressed themselves in eglish. you migh feelt a bit less intimidated after a while.
at least thats my opinion

ps. five years from now if someone accused me of doing something i did not i will still get angry.

' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's help Bob understand what he needs to do. First, Bob you can't copy someone else's paper because you are missing the opportunity to do it yourself, plus nobody else can do it better than you because it is about you. Also, it should be your pleasure to do it yourself, because it's your chance to impress them. Plus, if they catch you - you are risking a lot, your whole life will be effected, so I advice you sincerely, don't risk it, you can do it much better on your own. The risk is not worth it. I am saying this, just in case you get tempted to simply take someone else's finished essay, and you miss the whole chance of showing them your true self. You hold all answers to this essay and I see no reason why could not you do it yourself.

Guidelines for the essay: (I am not an expert but keep this in mind, plus there will be someone here who can help you further)

1. Introduce yourself. Who are you? Where are you from? What brings you to Cairo? Tell us 3 important characteristics about yourself that make you different from all others. What led you to AUC? Brief but interesting introduction so the reader knows who is the applicant. List all major important facts about yourself, age, name, etc. Little background on yourself. Previous education... and than link the education to AUC. That's going to be the new paragraph.

2. Define a motive or purpose for writing (Indicate why are you writing the paper) The motive is not argument itself, but the reason that your argument should be interesting to your reader. There are tons of papers, your must stand out!!! You got to be yourself. So your argument is: Why do I want to attend AUC, and what do I want to pursue??? Why not some other College? What do I want to be after I graduate? What is my goal? What makes me want to do it? What is my motivation, my drive? (Love, family, interest in something, combination of all factors, specific reason, origins, background, something happened in your life, etc.)

List 3-5 points and each point explain seperately, and connect each point with your own experience. You may give some example from your life that led you to specific field of study. The have to feel that you are connected with the purpose, that this is something you are really looking forward. Make it outstanding.

When I was very young, in my 4th grade of elementary school, I always had such a strong sense that certain foreign cultures were familiar to me. Everyone had some examples of "life calling" when something is telling you clearly that certain things are very familiar to you, or you are simply attracted to certain field, certain activity, or subject. I gave you here an example of my own experience. Your sentences need to be very clear without unecessary words, short, clear to the point. Express your idea clearly so that anyone can understand you. Don't repeat any ideas. Once you state an idea, explain it, and don't mention it 5 times all over again. Write as if people don't know you. Be precise.

Once you know your argument and motive, express yourself. Remember for each new idea new paragraph. Or for similar sets of ideas one paragraph. Organize it neatly so the reader knows where are you going and what do you want them to conclude. Also be your own judge. What would you think of yourself if you were a reader?

3. Conclusion. You got to express the hope and appreciation for their time and consideration. Also mention 1 sentence brief but with strong point, what would mean to you to be accepted. Also call AUC and ask them how long essay should be so you know in advance. Also ask them if there is a requirement for any specific style.

You have enough time to practice it and re-write it again. You can also ask someone to edit your paper or give you comments. It's not that difficult. Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by ~Sharon Stone~ (edited 01 May 2005).]

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharon Stone,
Hey that rocks! But again I've never thought about cheating or anything. Back in my inistitute I was doing presentations on my own! I used to write & doing the speech too in addition to discuss it with students.
I used to be a student as well. And I was doing that for CA (Care international) in oder to encourge students to do more volunteering. In the first speech I was very nervous & I was scared too. But all my teachers helped me out & I did it fine. Everyone loved it & I presented more than 5 times.

Writing an esaay should be easy thing but I'm still not genius. I've never done it & I thought that I would need help. Just like how my teachers helped me out.
Since you're an expert in this Can I send it to you, in order to tell me how bad it is? Really, I need your opinion! Coz my family is totaly lost. and everyone is just busy with his\her own issues. Well, can I?

Ps. Khentiamentiu333 you've helped me a lot. You treated me like human being..so thanx!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com