EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Flat for students

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flat for students
zschauf
Member # 7502

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zschauf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I am a student who who will be studying Arabic for about 2 months in Cairo this summer, and I'm trying to get a handle on procedures for finding a flat before I leave. I'll be studying in Mohandessen, and I may perhaps be able to share a flat with someone else from my program. How much should I expect to spend for a modest apartment in a safe neighborhood not too far away? Any tips on how to go about looking for a place? How much time should I leave to deal with housing issues before my program starts? Thanks for the advice.

Best,

Zach

Posts: 1 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Zach,
I believe that's your first visit to Cairo alone?
Most of the areas in Cairo are quite safe
so it doesn't matter to live only in Mohandseen if you're looking for a good deal. I mean it's expensive area...quite fancy? Plus Metro makes everything easy, so you don't have to live near your institute?
I'm flying to Cairo in 10 days & I'll search for a flat in Ma'adi (quite & not very expensive area).
I'm looking for a roommate if you would like to! (in case you didn't have any mates from ur program). I'll be taking course for TOEFL & then I'll start college.
Anyway, if you found any apartment with a good price I'll be glad to hear from you! Coz Ma'adi is quite away & I guess Mohandseen is lOUDER!
Plus, you should spend 3 night @ least in your flat before you start your program. To be aware of any issues that might happen also to have some time to discover your new neighborhood!

PS. Arabic is ma first language so i believe I can help you. In case we lived together or not. I still need some help in my Cairo -myslef- but coz I do arabic it's not hard for me to go here or there.

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Sheykh
Member # 7476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Sheykh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr, I would guess you're studying at Kalimat if I'm right? or maybe at ILI in Sahafayeen? My guess is the former. If so, you don't wanna live in Maadi my old son it's serious mileage from both of these institutes. Plus, Mohandiseen doesn't have the Metro (yet) so living near a station would not do you much good anyway.

If you want to live within 10 minutes walking of either of these two places then I might just have the place for you: nice, quiet area; sat. TV; balcony etc. for a nice price.

I speak fluent Arabic and despite my love of Egyptians and Egyptian culture, you notice that everybody here wants to practice English with you which can get annoying after a while, especially if you're learning Arabic. My experience is that it would be foolhardy to live with an Egyptian thinking that you might be able to get special deals or learn more Arabic. Believe me it doesn't happen!! You'll just end up reverting to English all the time and defeating the object of coming here.....this doesn't stop you from making plenty of Arab friends which you can do easily. But if you want to learn Arabic, if someone answers you in English or trys to collar you for an "impromptu" lesson, then just reply in Arabic they'll soon get the message and this way, unless they are complete arses, you will learn Arabic. I mean come on, is it too much to ask Egyptians to speak their native tongue?

That said, I wouldn't live in Maadi either unless you want to rub shoulders with lots of ex-pats. Again you won't learn the language and you'll just end up doing exactly what you do at home. I'm sure that you're coming to Egypt for something different so make it different!

Lecture over! Reply here if you're interested but best of luck nonetheless!

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
loool
God! you're so good @ that!
I don't speak Egyptian slang by the way! Is that account?
Shekh, I thought you're an egyptian but it seems you're not! Anyway Is Metro really quite far? Or you don't like to hike?
Do you know a close area (not very expensive?) to the Tahrer square? If you have recommendaitions, please share!
Thank you very much...

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Sheykh
Member # 7476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Sheykh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no metro in Mohandiseen but you could live in Maadi, take a minibus (of which there are many) and go along the corniche. Then get off under 26th July bridge, walk a bit and then get another to Mustapha Mahmud mosque which is senconds away from Kalimat. If you're at ILI in Sahafeyeen, repeat the steps but catch a bus up Ahmed Orabi instead. It'll cost you about 1LE for the whole journey.....I take the bus wherever I can cos they're fantastic value and I don't mind getting squashed sometimes. Me, I'd rather not hike around Cairo in all the smog especially in the summer but I have walked from Maadi back to Mohandiseen before....but I don't recommend it!

If you wanna live close to Tahrir then try a flat share in Garden City if you can find someone. Some decent shares can be had for 800LE all told - try advertising on this site or maybe ewasseet but can't remember if they do flats or not. Also if you wanna live near Tahrir put an ad or check out the ads already at AUC. The board is near the bookshop. But if it was me then I'd live in Mohandiseen or Dokki and commute everyday cos personally I fink Tahrir's a bit of a bore....plus you're safer out here!!

If anyone asks me where I'm from, an everyday occurence even now I might add, then I reply "Ana min Sohag". This generally shuts them up or puts them in fits of laughter.

Truthfully though I'm from the Caucases and my ancestors are the Avar people if that's any help.

I generally speak al lughat al 'arabia/fusHa to everyone instead of 'amiya cos it gets me a few concessions here and there as most Egyptians big up anyone who can speak the classical language. However it does sound a bit convoluted at times so if necessary I switch to colloquial.

If you wanna stay somewhere clean for a few days for not much cash, then try the Ismalaya hotel which is smack bang on Tahrir near KFC. This way you can access other areas easily at first and have a convenient "base of operations".

[This message has been edited by The Sheykh (edited 04 May 2005).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Shekh!!!
Thanx for all these amazing advises...so cute!
Man! You need a gift maybe some coffee!!
I've never heard about Garden City but now it's on my list!
Thanx for everything, specially the board on the AUC! That would help very much!
I'm glad that I've talked to you!
C you around!

Bob,

The Sheykh
Member # 7476

Rate Member
Rabbina wa fahiq wa Allah ma'ak

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com