EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » literature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: literature
penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys & gals u almost speak about everthing here, why not about literature, or have I missed it.
I love all kinds of literature form all cultures, what about u? what's ur favorite novel or drama? or don't u like literature in the first place???

Posts: 219 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by penelope:
hey guys & gals u almost speak about everthing here, why not about literature, or have I missed it.
I love all kinds of literature form all cultures, what about u? what's ur favorite novel or drama? or don't u like literature in the first place???

nice topic I am book lover ..but i think i will wait a while and see what others will say ..but my two fave writers are mustafa mahmoud and william shakespeare

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Pretty much love anything by Edgar Allen Poe... so twisted!! However, not so good to read before nodding off to sleep...

quote:
Originally posted by penelope:

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by american gal:

Pretty much love anything by Edgar Allen Poe... so twisted!! However, not so good to read before nodding off to sleep...

try reading "the raven" before you sleep I bet Edgar Allan Poe looks down at us now and says MUAHAHAHA I am your worst nightmare

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps (given his twisted state) Poe's looking up???

quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
try reading "the raven" before you sleep I bet Edgar Allan Poe looks down at us now and says MUAHAHAHA I am your worst nightmare

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by american gal:
Or perhaps (given his twisted state) Poe's looking up???

hehe you're right

penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I love sooo many writers, as I've studied the works of a lot of them, but I think that the greatest literature is the russian, there r so many masterpieces in it, the russian have an elevated taste, u really can enjoy when reading, although I read the translated versions ( of those written originally in russian). wish I knew russian.
Posts: 219 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, thats a great topic! my favourite writer is ihsan abdel kodous. i've read all of his books at least two times. naguib mahfouz is amazing. youssef el sebaiy, and tawfiq el hakim are also some of my favourites. taha hussein is also great, but a bit boring. as for english books, i love sydney sheldon and pual coelho! do you guys know that coelho is visiting egypt soon inshallah?!

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Song of Man

I was here from the moment of the
Beginning, and here I am still. And
I shall remain here until the end
Of the world, for there is no
Ending to my grief-stricken being.

I roamed the infinite sky, and
Soared in the ideal world, and
Floated through the firmament. But
Here I am, prisoner of measurement.

I heard the teachings of Confucius;
I listened to Brahma's wisdom;
I sat by Buddha under the Tree of Knowledge.
Yet here I am, existing with ignorance
And heresy.

I was on Sinai when Jehovah approached Moses;
I saw the Nazarene's miracles at the Jordan;
I was in Medina when Mohammed visited.
Yet I here I am, prisoner of bewilderment.

Then I witnessed the might of Babylon;
I learned of the glory of Egypt;
I viewed the warring greatness of Rome.
Yet my earlier teachings showed the
Weakness and sorrow of those achievements.

I conversed with the magicians of Ain Dour;
I debated with the priests of Assyria;
I gleaned depth from the prophets of Palestine.
Yet, I am still seeking truth.

I gathered wisdom from quiet India;
I probed the antiquity of Arabia;
I heard all that can be heard.
Yet, my heart is deaf and blind.

I suffered at the hands of despotic rulers;
I suffered slavery under insane invaders;
I suffered hunger imposed by tyranny;
Yet, I still possess some inner power
With which I struggle to great each day.

My mind is filled, but my heart is empty;
My body is old, but my heart is an infant.
Perhaps in youth my heart will grow, but I
Pray to grow old and reach the moment of
My return to God. Only then will my heart fill!

I was here from the moment of the
Beginning, and here I am still. And
I shall remain here until the end
Of of world, for there is no
Ending to my grief-stricken being.

[This message has been edited by Serendipity (edited 09 May 2005).]

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Jane Austen as well as Shakespeare, Poe reminds me of high school but it was good. Steinbeck is great, too.
Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khentiamentiu333
Member # 6109

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Khentiamentiu333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Jane Austen too!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
i love Jane Austen too, read "sense and sensibility" and "pride and prejudice", BUT she drives me crazy!! through the whole novel i tell myself...why dont she love him and why arent they together! they should be together!!! :s

Nooralhaq wich ones of shakespeare do you like? mostly i love his sonnets..

[This message has been edited by Serendipity (edited 09 May 2005).]

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I must admit, I'm a softie and I LOVE Romeo and Juliet. I think I know every line written about it. His sonnets are incredible, too.

For Jane Austen I LOVE Emma and probably Pride and Prejudice are my favorites. Even with Pride I keep telling myself, too, that Elizabeth won't end up with Mr. Darcy and somehow everytime I read anything by Jane Austen I am in love with the characters.

I love how her writing really revolves around social status and women's issues, for that time and in some ways even now.

Mansfield Park was nice, if you get the chance to read it. I have not read Sense and Sensibility, but I saw the movie (for shame, I know!!), and I could watch it everyday.

Has anyone read NORTHANGER ABBEY? I was told from a good friend that it was a lovely read, but have yet to partake myself.

Along the same lines, I really enjoyed Little Women, can anyone remind me who wrote it??? It's been years~

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really read belletristics any more, though maybe should start again
but I quite liked Isabel Allende as one of the few last I remember
http://www.isabelallende.com/

It was her "Aphrodite", click on cover to read an excerpt if want.
Perfect for over-30/40 females with feet firmly on ground, not totally strange to ironies of life, and always a lover or husband comfortably at hand .
It is also a very beautiful book, with rich illustrations.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
looks interesting, I might have to check her out.
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
always wanted to read her book "portrait in sepia" have you read it? if so what do you think about it?

AND BY THE WAY ... HAVENT YOU GIRLS NOTICED THERES ONLY GIRLS HERE...EHM EHM WHERE ARE THE GUYS!!?? DONT YOU GUYS READ BOOKS

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol...serendipity, you took the words from my mouth...I didn't want to say it...but.....
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' is my all time favourite. It's the only book I've read more than once.
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
omg yes I love Jane Eyre!
haven't read it in ages

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
always wanted to read her book "portrait in sepia"

Only read her Daughter of Fortune besides and it was.. kind of grim as far as remember too much "reality"? :)

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khentiamentiu333
Member # 6109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khentiamentiu333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Jane Eyre in high school and enjoyed it! That's the only work of Charlotte Bronte that I have read though. Did any of you read"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte?
What about Dicken's "Great Expectations"?

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khentiamentiu333
Member # 6109

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Khentiamentiu333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, to answer the original question, my favorite novel is....... any novel by James Herriot (real name James Wight). The books tell about his experiences as a country veterinarian in England. I know, they aren't classics, but they are still my favorites.
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Khentiamentiu333:
I read Jane Eyre in high school and enjoyed it! That's the only work of Charlotte Bronte that I have read though. Did any of you read"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte?
What about Dicken's "Great Expectations"?

Hi Khent, I loved Great Expectations, we read that in high school. I never got my hands on Wuthering Heights, however; with all of this literature talk lately, it's making me salavate for the library. Might have to check it out

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
Only read her Daughter of Fortune besides and it was.. kind of grim as far as remember too much "reality"?

What was it about?

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
I also love Gibran khalil gibran...and of course crime queen Agatha Christie...she always suprise me with whom the murderer is.

I have read a lot of arabic books..but i am wondering is there any arabic books that you recommend me to read. I have read books by Mustafa mahmoud and Naguib mahfouz so far..and i like their style of writing ...Any books to recommend me?
i will travel back to egypt soon and i want to buy as many books as i can

nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:

What was it about?

The Daughter of Fortune? I believe you'll find an excerpt if follow the aqbove link, I do not even remember so clearly any more, but was something about a young woman leaving Chile on own on board of a ship, to follow her love or something, to America (LA or SF), somewhere back in times of gold rush. Well, the hardships of travel of life when finally arriving, do not even remember if prostitution was involved or in any case covered, she did not even find him I believe just followed the rumours of where he'd been spotted by people another victim of gold rush... this type of story

Another book I am waiting to read perhaps was named among the 10 something books that Economist recommended last year ai believe, and is going to be shortly translated into my language, is a Turkish original, written by somebody grown up in US I believe then returned to Turkey, about islam and a journey somewhere into the far depths of Turkey also to find his love, and experiencing a revolutionary or violent situation there or something etc etc, a kind of glimpse into the world in parts where it brushes with islam. Its so good that this type of books are being translated I think and more knowledge spreads.

In English it is called "Snow", by Orhan Pamuk
http://www.economist.com/books/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3084596

Just glimpsed there myself too and noticced an expression like "urban secularist elite" I guess this is my most likely reference group who more or less would not devour me in any muslim society

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[A book which I enjoyed a lot and from which I got much information about Egypt was
"A WOMAN OF EGYPT" by Jehan Sadat

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just a Lady
Member # 7275

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just a Lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lately read 2 great books about forigners and islam:

one was written by Carmen bi Laden (who`s husband was brother of Osama) and it talked about her love and life in Saudi in 70s and 80-s. Fabolous book!
The other one is Leap of Faith written by Queen Noor of Jordan (originally from America) and her life and faith change and a bit of politics in Middle east.
Both very good nformation sources and emotioanl reading fro foreign women who are interested in Islamic world!

[This message has been edited by Just a Lady (edited 12 May 2005).]

Posts: 17 | From: Estonia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Just a Lady:
I have lately read 2 great books about forigners and islam:

one was written by Carmen bi Laden (who`s husband was brother of Osama) and it talked about her love and life in Saudi in 70s and 80-s. Fabolous book!
The other one is Leap of Faith written by Queen Noor of Jordan (originally from America) and her life and faith change and a bit of politics in Middle east.
Both very good nformation sources and emotioanl reading fro foreign women who are interested in Islamic world!

[This message has been edited by Just a Lady (edited 12 May 2005).]

My boss read this book on Queen Noor, he says it was very interesting...

Vi
Member # 7515

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Vi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi girls,

I am happy that I have met a "readers' club" because I do also love reading. I can come with my list of preferences and recommendations as well :
Dostoievski.The Idiot(my favourite one), Crime and Punishment;Karamazov Brothers;The Demons as well as his short stories( I love The Gambler)
Tolstoi: Anna Karenina; War and Peace,The Revival
Thomas Hardy: Tess D'Uberville, The Major of Casterbridge; Jude the Obscure ;
Maupassant: Bel-Ami and all his short stories (all are really great)
Gabriel Garcia Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude,The Autumn of The Patriarch; The Chronicle of an Announced Death;
Theodore Dreiser: Sister Carrie; An American Tragedy
Balzac: Madame Bovary, Germaine, Perre Goriott; The Woman at 30
Thomas Mann: The Bewitched Mountain
Huxley: Leavs of Grass(beutiful)
John Galsworthy: Forsythe Saga (there are 3 trilogies)-you will love it.
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose
And because you said you love poetry, try Byron, Shelley, Robert Burns, Goethe, Pushkin, Lermontov,Essenin
OK now, I think it's enpough and I would love to share ideas. I would also love to find out names of Egyptian or other nationalities writers and titles of their opus, which have been translated into English, so that I can read them.
So, have a good day all of you.
Vi

Posts: 15 | From: St.John's, Newfoundland,Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a highbrow lot you girls are!!!
Wish I was brainy.. I can just about cope with Harry Potter!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vi
Member # 7515

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Vi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on girl,

I bet you've also tried The Happy Prince or at least the newspaper now and then.Please confirm because I do really want you in the brainy's club.
He-he, have a sunny day there!

Vi

Posts: 15 | From: St.John's, Newfoundland,Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all, sooo happy to read all thaose posts, wow, we have in that forum lots of smart ladies, any guys want to join the club?

hay were r u salama? or r n't u a reading lover.

noor u must read wuthering heights, it's a real masterpeice, it's my favorite u know, but befor going through it u should read some about the bronte's, u'll find it v.interisting & helpful.

penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Serendipity said:
"I have read a lot of arabic books..but i am wondering is there any arabic books that you recommend me to read"
unfourtunatley I'ven't reda much arabic novels, being a student of e.literature, we used to study lots of e.books, american, irish, russian, but not much arabic. still I read some & studdied them thoroughly, so I strongley recomend for u all the books of dr.radwa ashoor, she is a genious, & her "tholatheit ghernata" is the best, u'll enjoy reading it a lot.
there is also a palestenian writer named email habiby, he is a v.good one also.
when u finish these tell me to recomend others ( in case u liked my taste ).

hey everone what do u think about the irish literature????

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know classical fiction is so very important, but my english instructors of the past have left a bad taste in my mouth for literature.

I am a non-fiction geek. I will read just about anything on history, anthropology or politics.

Though I love reading Sherlock homes and Mark Twain.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vi:
Come on girl,

I bet you've also tried The Happy Prince or at least the newspaper now and then.Please confirm because I do really want you in the brainy's club.
He-he, have a sunny day there!

Vi

I read the Beano!!!
I'll stick to the thickys club... it's more satisfying!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite piece of literature is from Samuel Taylor Coleridge... "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner". It is similar to John Bunyan's story "The Pilgrim's Progress" in that they both tell stories about good vs. evil.

Samuel Coleridge writes a more interesting work because the story tells a wedding tale of a sailor who joins a ship for a journey. In the poem the sailor kills the albatross, causing ill fortune upon the ship. The irony is that although the ship is surrounded by water, none is useful for drinking..

"Water, water everywhere
And all the boards did shrink
Water, water everywhere
Nor any drop to drink"

Paul Bunyan writes about a pilgrim who makes a journey and he meets characters named after human attributes. Some are good and others are bad. Each land he passes through tests his character.

Both are oriented toward Christianity and Bunyan is more difficult reading.

If neither of these interest you, my suggestion is to read works from the Pulitzer Prize Lists on the internet. There are some very bizarre works to read. Where I worked, the women often brought books from these lists and we often traded.

Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
I would really recommend Gibran Khalil Gibran. Especially his short novel "The Cry of The Graves" he can be a bit sentimental sometimes. But this one it really teaches you the real value of not only believing what the eye can see. Its one of his masterpiece in my views. http://leb.net/gibran/ check this site if youre interested in his works. most of his works is written there.

I also like "Hamlet" by shakespeare. Shakespeare make his pain soo real that you could allmost feel his anxiety and hoplessness.

I also like Henrik Ibsen.. he is just a genius..soo much psychology in his pieces. and no matter if you wanted or not you keep thinking about your moral views. I like specially "Ghosts". He is just amazing.

Well i hope you get the time to explore some of those writers books.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com