EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » In Egypt,, Sex is a gift or a curse???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In Egypt,, Sex is a gift or a curse???
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everywhere sex is the gift of God, In Egypt it is the curse of the Pharaohs’ descents. If you want to get married when you are young,(approaching thirties after the university and the natinal service) they tell you , you poor, you are too young to get married now, you have to build up yourself. You need two jobs and ten years to have a flat and its furniture. You are ready have the flat, you propose, they tell you, you have to buy gold and to pay mahr mukaddam and muakhar an qayma, or they say shame on you , you want to marry that young girl in spite of the gap of age. You walk in street girls are naked with their stretching pants , you have to behave well otherwise you are an animal, go home , watch TV,and make self ejaculation. If you look forward to marry a foreign girl, shame on you, you are greedy you want her money, you are not a patriot, You ought to choose an Egyptian run after her kneel in front of her, didn’t you hear about Qais and what did he do to marry Leila? Didn’t you know what Antara had made to satisfy Abla?be pacient man, don’t loose hope, you may get married when are on your sixties. Is there any solution of this trap?!!
Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ibr:
You walk in street girls are naked with their stretching pants

LOL, where do you live?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ibr:
Everywhere sex is the gift of God, In Egypt it is the curse of the Pharaohs’ descents. If you want to get married when you are young,(approaching thirties after the university and the natinal service) they tell you , you poor, you are too young to get married now, you have to build up yourself. You need two jobs and ten years to have a flat and its furniture. You are ready have the flat, you propose, they tell you, you have to buy gold and to pay mahr mukaddam and muakhar an qayma, or they say shame on you , you want to marry that young girl in spite of the gap of age. You walk in street girls are naked with their stretching pants , you have to behave well otherwise you are an animal, go home , watch TV,and make self ejaculation. If you look forward to marry a foreign girl, shame on you, you are greedy you want her money, you are not a patriot, You ought to choose an Egyptian run after her kneel in front of her, didn’t you hear about Qais and what did he do to marry Leila? Didn’t you know what Antara had made to satisfy Abla?be pacient man, don’t loose hope, you may get married when are on your sixties. Is there any solution of this trap?!!

this should be one of those tragic comedy plays beside "Peer Gynt" and "a midsummer nights dream"...think about it...you could earn a lot from it. and then you can marry wich girl you want

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loool @ Serendipity! Awsome solution!

Ibrahim, I believe that if you fall in love with the right girl. Furthermore, You were sure that she loves you (for you!) 100 percent.
Her greedy parents would be the last thing you should think about! I mean if she really really loves you! She would give a damn for anything but you! She's not going to wait for stupid flat or gold! Simply she's going to wait for you! Only for you!
I met many Egyptian girls, they seem very brvae & cool babes. I guess in egyptian it's (Gd3a) I think that type looking for a man not what a man can offer!
Good luck for ya & may god bless your soul!...
Am I hearing wedding noise? Am I invited Mr.Himo?

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
Loool @ Serendipity! Awsome solution!

Ibrahim, I believe that if you fall in love with the right girl. Furthermore, You were sure that she loves you (for you!) 100 percent.
Her greedy parents would be the last thing you should think about! I mean if she really really loves you! She would give a damn for anything but you! She's not going to wait for stupid flat or gold! Simply she's going to wait for you! Only for you!
I met many Egyptian girls, they seem very brvae & cool babes. I guess in egyptian it's (Gd3a) I think that type looking for a man not what a man can offer!
Good luck for ya & may god bless your soul!...
Am I hearing wedding noise? Am I invited Mr.Himo?

Oh-oh, if you would only now............ In most cases a wedding means a business deal. Many men get turned down - even if the couple is totally in love and committed to each other - but the problem is that his assets don't meet the expectations of the possible bride's family.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Ibr, I certainly can understand the disappointment in your post. I wish you good luck for the future - and a Madame soon.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ibr:
[b] You walk in street girls are naked with their stretching pants

LOL, where do you live?

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think he means that the girls are modern dressed and show their figures off....... an eyesight for any man.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you SO MUCH, ibr. I will print this one out in BLOCK LETTERS and keep for my fiancee... well for latter times just for any case
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i feel so sorry for egyptian men,their life is so hard. This money thing is most stupid..
maybe my husband marry me,cause i didnt ask anything..no house ,no gold and he didnt must ask my hand from my father..just from me..

i feel very bad,cause i am not making money for us, i am not working..i dont want ask money from my husband..
but i stay at home,so i can take care of my husband and give him all my time and attension..and he looks very happy

Anyway, i have everything i need..i have my love, i have my home, i have my dog, we can travel to my family in every year..

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i dont know about egyptian girls..but i am an arab...and i would never ask so much from my future (if i ever find any decent guy) husband. My family taught me real values is what you have in your heart and head..cause thats the true gold...money comes and goes what matters is your soul.
We were the richest ppl when we were in iraq...but we lost everything in one sec..everything was gone.money didnt save us from jail but patience and a family's love did. for me it wouldnt matter if he gave me a ring that he got from a kinder egg or a real golden ring..whats important that it was from his heart

[This message has been edited by Serendipity (edited 08 May 2005).]

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeAgift
Member # 7143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeAgift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an AA married to an Egyptian. The money thing was listed in our islamic marriage contract but all I asked for was his eternal love!!!

Sometimes I joke about not asking for a Mercedes but I got the best part my husband.

His sister has had 4 or 5 potential suitors turned down for reason or another by her parents. Varying incomes and ages. Her parents finally allowed her to marry a young teacher, which is her occupation also.
they moved to a flat in his families building.

I don't judge the arranged, agreed upon or contractual marriage thing. But I do appreciate the opportunity I had to fall in love with my husband without a family vote.\

Instead of gifts and a flat my sister inlaw is lnging to become pregnant. Something that only a lot of money can but, which is not a guarantee. The problem with these buisness deal nmarriages is that the couple is forced to deal with somany familial and cultural pressures without the benefit of the natural love process. I'm sure through mutual respect and admiration thy eventual gain love, but how long could it take???

Anyway my sister inlaws hubby has a fertility issue. NOW WHAT????

Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seren, you are right, it is a tragedy and nightmare !!!you can see it at the streets of Egyptian big cities. If you can’t see it, you may read a book called ”al infigar al ginsy fi masr” !!! Tigerlily; thank you for understanding . LifeAgift; I think Islam is not the problem but the HALAL solution which I think people in the west are practicing with or without paper in love and marriage affairs. Dear Hunted pray for me and you are invited after my retire or accepting bribes!!!!
Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again another thread bashing Egyptian women as greedy. But if it makes you feel better.....

To be perfectly honest, many young men are unemployed. Often the couple just moves in with his relatives, so they need to secure furniture and gold jewelry for hard times in the future.

What isn't discussed here is the fact that since their daughter lives with her in-laws often the husband demands money from her family. So her parents are bleeding monetary funds for quite a while. If her parents don't cough up the demanded funds, it makes her look like her parents don't care about her. Then she is seen as worthless in the eyes of her in-laws.

Egyptian women are supposed to remain quite about the unfortunate circumstances of her life, and her family helping out during rough spots lessen the chances of gossip. It hurts her and her family more than the husband's family.

Plus it is customary for lower and middle class Egyptians to buy furniture only once in a lifetime, during courtship. So she has to be a hardass, its now or never.

Remember courtship has become much more dire due to the downfall in the economy. And when a marriage falls apart, often the financials of the couple is blamed on the wife's family for their stinginess. Then she and her family must remain quite about the troubles or she won't be able to marry again.

Keep in mind its always the woman's fault.

Foreigners take advantage of the double standard once again.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Friends,thank you for your contributions, and I am sorry if I fail to express my view, maybe my English did not help. I don’t believe that women are greedy, women are human beings, some are and some are not. I think that family and other factors are the cause of the problem which all suffer of. It was strange for me to hear about those examples of Hurgada. Fadi, Ashraf, Tamer and so, Semi-Beatles with a handbook to issue that funny so-called Orfi marriage. They gave an impression that usually Egyptians have four wives like Mormon in America. I am an Egyptian; lived all my life in Egypt, I have never seen or heard about somebody who has four or three wives in the same time. I know around four persons who has, each, two wives, and it was because in most of the cases, the first one can not give birth, while I know thousands of youngmen have no wife and no hope to get married before their forties or fifties, or they gave up for ever, no way talking about sex outside marriage. The trap jump to girls too, while age is passing by, chance to get married is less, they try to attract someone with describing their sexual figures more and more, they may attract one but tempt thousands, and the Satanic circle is turning!!!. If somebody wants to see real Egyptians, he must ignore Hurgada or Sharm , look at Cairo, not Zamalek or Maadi, but Imbaba, Dares Salam, Old Cairo, Maasara, etc. All the recent studies of the Faculties of Arts, Social departments advocate my view, which we live and suffer. To get out of the trap I suggest. 1-Disconnect between money and love 2-Reread Islamic “Fiqh” religious interpretation of the texts. 3-Respect the divorced woman and her right to marry again and again with no shame and support their right of equal opportunities in marriage like men. 4- Build love nest step by step. If there is any more suggestions, I will be grateful.
egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianbeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Again another thread bashing Egyptian women as greedy. But if it makes you feel better.....

Plus it is customary for lower and middle class Egyptians to buy furniture only once in a lifetime, during courtship. So she has to be a hardass, its now or never.

Keep in mind its always the woman's fault.

Foreigners take advantage of the double standard once again.

Give me a break! These spoiled women NEED new furniture?? Why would the man NOT want to give the furniture? Did it ever occur because we can't afford to do that? Did it ever occur that we haven't the means necessary? You think WE wouldn't like new things too? These girls are spoiled brats and I wouldn't defend them if I was a woman. I am sure many are good and don't marry to get things, but believe me most do.

Want to talk about who takes advantage of who? Try being a man here and marrying. Then come back and tell me what saints these women are and how they are so kind and the victims.

Posts: 166 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptianbeast:
Give me a break! These spoiled women NEED new furniture?? Why would the man NOT want to give the furniture? Did it ever occur because we can't afford to do that? Did it ever occur that we haven't the means necessary? You think WE wouldn't like new things too? These girls are spoiled brats and I wouldn't defend them if I was a woman. I am sure many are good and don't marry to get things, but believe me most do.

Want to talk about who takes advantage of who? Try being a man here and marrying. Then come back and tell me what saints these women are and how they are so kind and the victims.

That explains the username. Scary stuff.

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptianbeast:

And by the quality of your arguement thats why you've come to ES!

Now enjoy shopping around the most gullible, naive, and desperate westerner to fill your pockets with gold!

And by the way I can't tell you how selfish/childish that sounded. Getting married is expensive for both the groom's and the bride's family.

You completely ignored the part where I noted that after marriage if the bride's family doesn't supplement the couples income or rather give into the groom's and groom's family monetary demands she is considered unworthy of marriage and a husband.

I consider it completely fair for the bride to get as much out of her future husband because he will certainly suck the life out of her untill he grows up and realizes that to be a man he must contribute.

Again egyptianbeast you will be very popular here. Let us know periodically how much you managed to get your of your old lady.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suggest. 1-Disconnect between money and love 2-Reread Islamic “Fiqh” religious interpretation of the texts. 3-Respect the divorced woman and her right to marry again and again with no shame and support their right of equal opportunities in marriage like men. 4- Build love nest step by step. If there is any more suggestions, I will be grateful.

It's too bad there is so much emphasis placed on material wealth for marriage. I personally do not subscribe to this belief. I am a divorced woman and my husband was also previously divorced.

In my previous marriage, I had a large diamond ring and I thought it was too noticable to wear it. After my divorce, I sold this ring for almost nothing because it held no meaning after my first husband's relationships with several other women. In my second marriage, I wear a simple silver band...i think it cost fifteen bucks. That ring means more to me than any diamond.

I am sorry that you feel your options are to marry only Egyptian women. In my observations, I feel many Egyptian women are nieve in issues involving marital relationships. Sometimes I feel Egyptian women have unrealistic expectations for their future husband. I want to stay married to my husband as long as possible, so driving him into debt is the furthest from my mind.

I think marriage is a committed effort between two people. I believe in sharing expenses etc...My husband insists on being responsible for some household expenses, although I earn twice as much income as he does. If he insists on making payment, then I save the money I make until he needs it, or we decide to travel.

For your information, I am from Holland, living in Houston, TX and my husband came from ElKoba, Cairo. Needless to say, his family lives modestly. I wouldnt change places with any other girl in this world. I love his family and their wealth means absolutely nothing.

Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadya:

I am sorry that you feel your options are to marry only Egyptian women. In my observations, I feel many Egyptian women are nieve in issues involving marital relationships. Sometimes I feel Egyptian women have unrealistic expectations for their future husband. I want to stay married to my husband as long as possible, so driving him into debt is the furthest from my mind.

Okay....

So why not go on a crusade to help the Egyptian woman rise to your level of sophistication and goodness.

I mean they must be waiting in the trenches just waiting to be saved by you.

Why on earth would any Egyptian man ever want to be with an Egyptian woman?

Why don't every Egyptian man know that Western women are far superior.

Sarcasm, heavily drenched, massively annoyed sarcasm

Shadya,

While you're at it, why not educated all the awful American women in greater Dallas metropolitan area how to be the perfect woman, A DUTCH woman while you are at it.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 14 May 2005).]

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post, Shadya
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
sometimes I wonder why we never try to find out why all of this is happening? why do women in egypt want that much of egyptian men. and we always like to believe that we are so much better than them cause we dont want more than true love. Thats because we have everything else. We all live in countries wich are very rich. I totally understand that in their position love doesnt come first..They will even laugh at you when you mention that to them. All of us has a roof over our heads. we drink and sleep and have everything we need. And we never worry about how to survive tomorrow or what happens if the one who works in the family gets sick. So many things that makes them forget what love is and look only for what he has to offer. Thats what is destroying everything. Love is not an issue anymore..love is only for those teen girls who run around near the nile looking for a guy to say i love you too. this is not only for Egypt but this goes for my country too. With all the misery they are in they forgot the most important basic in life.. and that is love and Faith. I dont just mean love between husband and wife, but love to your parents, to your children, to your friends.
And that what is destroying so many ppl both men and women. Men are soo busy working all day long so they can bring food to the table that they forget their wives. and etc etc. We are very lucky to get the chance to say we dont need money we need only love. Some ppl only care about how much food you bring on the table...

puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, if we now talk about midleclas and rich ppl in egypt..
They have enough money for food..
Are this ppl looking love?
Or are they intresting more about money..

I understand very well ,that poor ppl,they dont have choice..if life is so hard, all ur energy goes to work and so..there is no energy to even think about love..

What i dont understand,is this clas system here..i dont have any high education, i am not intresting about this things..i am as practical nurse..My husband is high educatied, he is area manager..i could be his cleaner lady But we dont care about this..we care only about our love.

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello MANY of you females are not Egyptian, it certainly isn't your place to judge their traditions.

It sounds like many of yous think your superior to Egyptian women!

Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
quote:
Hello MANY of you females are not Egyptian, it certainly isn't your place to judge their traditions.

It is not abattle Sono, we want to get out of the Satanic trap!!!!

nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:

Much worse, sono. Isn't it inborn in a woman to think we are superiour to ANY OTHER woman?

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:

Much worse, sono. Isn't it inborn in a woman to think we are superiour to ANY OTHER woman?

No, I wasn't raised Egyptian, its not my place to critize an entire country of people and how they choose to engage in a lifetime commitment.

I mean this entire thread stinks to high heaven. It sounds disguisting.

And yet every 20 threads or so it starts out as or turns into a bash the Egyptian woman thread. Its not our place to judge.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Naturally being involved with an Egyptian husband I have lots to complain about. But at the same time there is loads of things he doesn't do that an American husband would get an earful from me about.

Same with my sister-in-laws. We all speak English so there is no way to avoid communicating. I have a litany of complaints about the Egyptian woman mindset, the last thing I would bring up is how much it costs both the grooms family and the brides family to get married.

I mean it sounds like you ladies have spent hours in a chatroom being flattered by some Egyptian guys who can't seem to get married, and these Egyptian men are looking to the possibility of a foreign wife as a last resort. Which it is.

Often times when a Bride and her family don't like the prospects of the Groom and his family they use money as a means to back out of the arrangement/engagment.

The Egyptian guys you are chatting with have been picked over several times and through you females their fustration shows.

My husband didn't have a chance for this kind of disappointment. He had a severe life-altering car wreck and when a young man goes through that, no Egyptian woman will take him.

I concentrate my disguist on that more so than the money factor. He looks perfectly fine, still extremely handsome. Still the stigma is there.

My husband complained about the money demands of Egyptian engagment for about 20 minutes total in our relationship. I asked him how would he like his future son-in-law to complain and if he would like to find the SOB dead the night before the wedding?

That shut him up.

He find much more to complain about when it comes to how much the American lifestyle costs.

Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Okay....

So why not go on a crusade to help the Egyptian woman rise to your level of sophistication and goodness.

I mean they must be waiting in the trenches just waiting to be saved by you.

Why on earth would any Egyptian man ever want to be with an Egyptian woman?

Why don't every Egyptian man know that Western women are far superior.

[b] Sarcasm, heavily drenched, massively annoyed sarcasm

Shadya,

While you're at it, why not educated all the awful American women in greater Dallas metropolitan area how to be the perfect woman, A DUTCH woman while you are at it.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 14 May 2005).][/B]

Maybe Sonomod you misunderstood my intention in the previous post. Those are my personal observations and not limited to Egyptian women exclusively. Actually, I feel in some instances, arab women in general have limititations to really understanding what the significance of marriage is before they are thrown into it, which is a disadvantage. I think that for women who live in a culture where they rely on a husband economically, are in double jeopardy because finding a way out from a bad marriage is difficult. Children make the situation even more complex. I am sure you have heard of instances where the person a woman married is not infact anything like he described to her and her family. It happens everyday, and the internet is no exception.

Yes, you are right Sonomod. I was fortunate to travel extensively, and I earned two college degrees that brought me economic security before I was married the first time. Along that way, sacrifices were also made. I really dont care if you find my nationality offensive, because who I am is enough for me. At least read my post, I live in Houston, not Dallas.

The least you could do Sonomod is be consistent in the opinions presented in your posts. The only consistency I can see is your attitude, which is more tart than vinegar...but that is your choice and it makes no difference to me. Actually, you sound like a jealous woman.

Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shadya:
Maybe Sonomod you misunderstood my intention in the previous post. Those are my personal observations and not limited to Egyptian women exclusively. Actually, I feel in some instances, arab women in general have limititations to really understanding what the significance of marriage is before they are thrown into it, which is a disadvantage. I think that for women who live in a culture where they rely on a husband economically, are in double jeopardy because finding a way out from a bad marriage is difficult. Children make the situation even more complex. I am sure you have heard of instances where the person a woman married is not infact anything like he described to her and her family. It happens everyday, and the internet is no exception.

Yes, you are right Sonomod. I was fortunate to travel extensively, and I earned two college degrees that brought me economic security before I was married the first time. Along that way, sacrifices were also made. I really dont care if you find my nationality offensive, because who I am is enough for me. At least read my post, I live in Houston, not Dallas.

The least you could do Sonomod is be consistent in the opinions presented in your posts. The only consistency I can see is your attitude, which is more tart than vinegar...but that is your choice and it makes no difference to me. Actually, you sound like a jealous woman.

From reading this forum and other Egy boards I don't have any reason to be jealous.

Just because you travel the world doesn't mean you can begin to understand cultures other than your own because you see them in tunnel vision.

There is a major misconception of Egyptian women, mainly because the Egyptian men so many khawagaas come into contact with won't say anything complimentary or even nice about Egyptian women. The reasoning behind this is because they want to help khawagaas feel superior, which is a form of flattery. Too bad these guys are not able to find another form of flattery for you and other khawaagaas.

Which brings me to a deeper sidenote. When you marry an Egyptian man, you become Egyptian respectively. If these Egyptian men are trying to define the relationship as you are above or superior to Egyptian woman is becuase they could never imagine you fitting into their family or culture. You are different, seperate, nothing in common, totally alien to everything they grew up with. Not exactly a nice compliment anymore is it?

And being that you met your hubby through an email Shadya, you probably told him outright that you were self sufficent and able to financially provide for yourself. Sounds like the same impression older women give cabana boys on vacation at Red Sea resorts.....

To top it off:

Maybe Sonomod you misunderstood my intention in the previous post. Those are my personal observations and not limited to Egyptian women exclusively.

This is an Egy board, not an Arab board. I could give a rats ass about women outside of Egypt. And in that manner how dare you clump Egyptian women in the same boat as other Arab women. Egyptian women are far more sensious, educated, tough, domineering even, and from what I have noticed Egyptian men respect their sisters and mothers far more than other Arabs.

Little do you know, Egyptian women are the largest percentage of Arab women to work outside of the home. International aid agencies have studied the trends and found that 80% of Egyptian business enterprises no matter what size are owned by women. Egyptian women are excellent at handling money. Both of my brother-in-laws run their businesses with their wives insisting that their wives run the books and accounts.

Yet this is the middle-class. And unfortunately a sizeable portion of Egypt is impoverished. For what most khawagaas don't know is during the earlier part of last century the Egyptian pound was worth more than the USD and most European currencies too. Even rural Egyptians had a huge middle-class. And those trends went back to the time of Mohamed Ali. So at least 8 generations of consistent good standards of living. Egyptians have a long memory and they remember the good times, so they remember how instrumental women are and how leaving a good amount of economic or financial governance to Egyptian women during these periods insured a excellent quality of living.

Shadya, from the ugly narrow minded picture you give and your perceptions of "Arab" or Egyptian women your in-laws have short memories or were never that prosperious to begin with. This coincides with your deligent aim to remind us that you are so successful and financially independant, which is a western view. The Egyptian view would be, the family works as a team eventhough the better ideas would come from the women.

Egyptians have always had a prosperious, rich intellectual scholarly contributions, well balanced view of their international political aims, and a well suited protective self-evolved culture that is entirely unique to their neighbors.

Step back and take a look at your Euro-centric view, shake it off. But of course what your husband doesn't do for you he would do for a Egyptian wife and so he needs to stroke your Euro-centric ego in order for you not to take notice and feel degraded.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 16 May 2005).]

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 16 May 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com