EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » In-Laws..!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In-Laws..!!
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody!
I would like to know ur opinion about living together with the in-laws in egypt.I dont mean exactly the living inside of the SAME flat.but i know its very common here for a family to build their own building and everyone gets his/her separate floor.i have a close friend,whos gonna have this situation soon and she is VERY worried about her privacy with her husband,as she doesnt want her mother-in law or her sis-in law to ^bother^ her,which could b quite easy as they are in the same building.What r ur experiences,or advices about this topic guys?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ViVaLaDiVa:
Hello everybody!
I would like to know ur opinion about living together with the in-laws in egypt.I dont mean exactly the living inside of the SAME flat.but i know its very common here for a family to build their own building and everyone gets his/her separate floor.i have a close friend,whos gonna have this situation soon and she is VERY worried about her privacy with her husband,as she doesnt want her mother-in law or her sis-in law to ^bother^ her,which could b quite easy as they are in the same building.What r ur experiences,or advices about this topic guys?

Well, usually I find it not a good idea but this is because I was brought up in the city and our home was not in same building of family, I was susprised when I went with some relative before about how the family members go from an apartment to another and all doors are opned almost all time, women get together in one place and do cooking while chatting and men in another place, it's very annoying if you'r not used to it as everyone knows almost everything about the other. plus, you actions will be seen and counted by all family members , so if some of them are picky then it wont be good.

Some other people perhaps had better experince with family member who don't do that? and perhaps they felt kind of protection being around family of husband?

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend live in same building with her family in law..She is lucky,because her family in law respect her so much and they know that she like to be alone..
So she dont have problem, she is enough strong to make clear,how she like to live..and family in law accept it.

My father in law is making a house, for all family...But nobady is intrested move in..together..
I dont mind,if our vacation home is there..but i think i get crazy if i must live all the time in same building with my family in law.
Anyway, i think they also know me so well,and i sure make clear,when i like to be alone..
There is some good things,if u live near from each other..u dont must be alone,if ur husband travel, and help is near..and short way visit to each other..and u can eat together,not must cook alone every day

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My in laws have a four story house. Each woman has her own level, mine is the top and its unfinished until I get there.

Privacy isn't a problem because its so spacious and everyone has their own kitchen and bathroom along with all the other room.

The only thing that detracts from privacy is the little girls running from floor to floor demanding things. They have their own racket going on.

I think it depends on whether the women of the house have outside employment and how large the apartments are and if they have to share the building with people who aren't family.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys for ur answers
Yea puppy i have the same opinion about moving all together..actually i wouldnt even live with my mother together inside of the same flat and she would never live with me as she always says that the different generations r not healthy living together.Sure its right coz everyone has other needs(i mean the generations).
LOL Sonomod thats wht my friend told me also tht her sis-in law has 2 children who for sure will b running up and down all the time kicking doors and so on things.Its cute ,but ofcourse it has a limit like everything else do.
Sonomod may i ask where u live in egypt?
Bubye

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ViVaLaDiVa:
Thank you guys for ur answers
Yea puppy i have the same opinion about moving all together..actually i wouldnt even live with my mother together inside of the same flat and she would never live with me as she always says that the different generations r not healthy living together.Sure its right coz everyone has other needs(i mean the generations).
LOL Sonomod thats wht my friend told me also tht her sis-in law has 2 children who for sure will b running up and down all the time kicking doors and so on things.Its cute ,but ofcourse it has a limit like everything else do.
Sonomod may i ask where u live in egypt?
Bubye

I don't live in Egypt right now. I live in a huge metropolitan area in the midwest. My in laws live in Shebin El Kaum. Which is the capital city of the El Menoufia governate. Prices of real estate close to the Military headquarters and Justice buildings are high and houses are built right next to each other. No yards, only houses stuck together side to side back to back with wide alleys. Not what I am used to in the Midwest. My parent's home growing up had a full acre of green yard so that is what scares me the most, not being so close to the in laws but the neighbors.

as she always says that the different generations r not healthy living together.Sure its right coz everyone has other needs(i mean the generations).

This is the far extreme opposite of what my in laws think. Yup everyone manages to 'get intimate' on a regular basis but that might be why the grandparents take the grandkids on so many outings.

No one is allowed to move out of Mother's house. Yet this hasn't stopped the sons from building these huge houses outside of the city in the family's village. With the value of the Egyptian currency right now its better to put your money in real estate than the bank. Hence, why we have two apartments in Alex, the house in Shebin and a collection of houses in the village.

My fourth level apartment will be finished when I get there. In the meantime I am trying to talk my sister in law into arranging a 'moon' garden in flower pots, urns and hanging plants on the patio roof of her family's new house. The grandparents 200 year old house was demolished 3 years ago and they are now rebuilding. They might put a garden terrace in back and I can't wait to help with that.

Shebin might be like New Cairo, Nasr city, New Maadi, Sixth of October and other satellite cities; lots of government offices are being moved to Shebin and the governate university is being expanded massively. This might explain why my in laws are doing so much building.

I've excessively talked it over with my husband and father in law. I will probably work and live in Alex most of the time, and spend a few days a week in Shebin. Planning a lockdown room in my apartment which will be climately stable for computer equipment and books, a sleeping deck above the bathroom, a small kitchen and the rest will be a roof top terrace.

I am really looking forward to living in Egypt, but a few things need to happen before I get over there. Right now we are looking for a house to get ready for my mother in law and daughter coming back to the USA for several months and then we'll all move back to Egypt for a few years. So I probably will live side by side with my mother in law for at least a decade. Which is exactly the way I want it.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Wow nevermind,sure u live in a real good place.. Good luck with ur plans in the future.Alex is a gr8 place and so clean.
Im also planning to move to our new house but still needs the damn furniture which i donno how im gonna get as i dont really like these classical style things here.I thought in egypt there is Ikea but unfortunately isnt.At home in hungary we have lots of malls especially for interior design and furniture and so on.Here i havent seen any.wish i knew where to find modern pictures also instead of these Mona Lisa kinda pics that im seeing all around .Take care sonomod please and im looking forward to ^talk^ with u again .Have a nice day

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com