EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » I'm Embarrassed To Be Egyptian!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm Embarrassed To Be Egyptian!
Khalid66
Member # 6071

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khalid66     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brothers and Sisters,

Maybe "embarrassed" is too strong a word, but at times it is most appropriate. I'm a married man with a young family. I have lived in the U.S. since the age of five and have visited Egypt regularly, maintaining close ties with my relatives, culture and my Muslim faith. But I had always visited Egypt as a tourist, since my trips were usually two to three weeks every year. Earlier this year I had the good fortune of taking a three month "vacation" to Egypt with my family. We actually came with the idea of perhaps settling in Egypt permanently. I was considering starting a business in Cairo. I have always romanticized about living in Egypt, but after three months the romance is over. I went ready and willing to embrace my country and my people only to be turned away. Turned away by rude people who have forgotten the "akhla'" of a Muslim. Turned away by people driving cars in such a reckless manner that they would be willing to hit and injure or kill a pedestrian if it meant arriving to their destination on time. Turned away by people unwilling to wait their turn in a store, unwilling to open a door for someone, or unwilling to even acknowledge a friendly "salam" from a stranger new to the neighborhood. I witnessed behavior that shocked me, people fighting over trivial things after praying in the masjid, people throwing garbage in the street when trash cans were available next to them on the sidewalk, store owners sighing "uff" because a customer asks to look at an item for sale on a high shelf. I saw good things during my visit too, unfortunately I've been blinded by all the bad things and can hardly recall them, except for my relatives who I love.

After having put my thoughts to paper, I am willing to acknowledge that "embarrassed" is not the appropriate word for capturing how I feel. Now I am simply "sad" for Egypt and for Egyptians and for the state of my country.

I still love Egypt, I just wish we would treat each other better. We look at what the West is doing to Arabs and the Arab world and I constantly hear people complaining and saying it is unjust. But how can we expect others to respect us, if we don't respect each other? If you hate and resent me for writing this, that is out of my control. But if nothing else, I hope some who read this will think twice the next time they are buying bread in the neighborhood "forn". And instead of elbowing people in front of you so you can buy your bread first, simply smile, say salam, and wait your turn. Only then will my romance with Masr be rekindled.

[This message has been edited by Khalid66 (edited 30 May 2005).]

Posts: 13 | From: Maplewood, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deroban
Member # 5403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deroban     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it with a smile in my face. :-)
Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salam Khaled,

Sadly, I do agree with you in many points.
The disorganisation in Egypt is a disease that took place for the last 40 yrs.

The "Tanash behaviour" and "Wana Mali"..! took root in a culture that was known for its highly organised Akhlak.

Some say it was the Naksa which penetrated deep down into our behaviour as well !

I say, it is the policy of free urbanisation which have resulted in unbalanced migration by the "Reef people" into the lights of Cairo that was not able to sustain its own people ,let alone the hopeful new comers.

The new comers who were allowed to sell their family's land and the " Fadadeen Khamsa " that were given to then by the state to farm-to result in yet further ugly salata buildings with out any permission, monitoring or follow up inspection.

The industrisation of the capital was one of the biggest mistakes , Nasser has made although for good intention..!
Every thing in Egypt nowadays is done without thinking of the outcome..!

Too small place that is inhabitated with with many people who live on top of each other, would naturally result in
( Ana Bass ) culture.

It is my Egypt that I am sad for...!

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 30 May 2005).]

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope all egyptians could see this side of their country..
There is many small problems, and some big..those small could be solved very easily..if people really want it.

My husband says same..he feel very sad for his country..30 years ago,life was happy and people careing from each other..

As foreignal, i see good things from egypt and bad things..very clearly.
Maybe even better than egyptians..
Because this is not my homecountry, i dont need to image,that this is best country in the world, i dont must be proud of it..i can be open minded, i try to find reasons,why people must drive like crazy,why they cant keep clean their living area..and what really make me wondering..is how people treat each others..i feel like here is many group in side one country..

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree with you, but I do not agree with Khaled in one thing.
I am NOT ashamed of Egypt, but sad for her.
In fact , my pride of my country was never as great as now.

These are only little problems that could be easily solved with a bit of organisation and monitoring.

It is NOT the people's fault. It is the careless government's.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salama:

It is NOT the people's fault. It is the careless government's.

Exactly look at the laws and regulations in the Uk that MAKE people drive safely, and it took a very big advertising campaign to stop people littering the steets with rubbish
( not so sure it's working in London these days though!)
It is the govenment's job to make their countries better places.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

People you can't just blame the government that the citizens acting up like that.

Isn't it a shame that so many rules have to be established because people are ruthless, careless, ignorant and dirt balls?????

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[B]

People you can't just blame the government that the citizens acting up like that.

Isn't it a shame that so many rules have to be established because people are ruthless, careless, ignorant and dirt balls?????
---------

Salam Tiger,

Making laws is only the first strategic step that MUST be followed by the operational step which means monitoring and following up of these laws application.…

let me give an example.… Some years ago, there was a very smart governor who was put in Egypt (Internal Affairs minister). I forgot his name.…
That man vowed to clean up Cairo, and so he did.…
Cairo streets became clear, clean and highly organised. To assure of the implementation correctly, there was a fine on any person who breaks the laws such as crossing the road in the wrong point, like speeding fast specially down town,..,..

Our Egyptian beloved people were not pleased and went out in force to revolt against such organisation.…
The fearful careless government took the decision to remove the man. and every thing is back again to its beloved disorganised culture.…

Nooralhaq2005
Member # 7790

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Khalid66:
Brothers and Sisters,

Maybe "embarrassed" is too strong a word, but at times it is most appropriate. I'm a married man with a young family. I have lived in the U.S. since the age of five and have visited Egypt regularly, maintaining close ties with my relatives, culture and my Muslim faith. But I had always visited Egypt as a tourist, since my trips were usually two to three weeks every year. Earlier this year I had the good fortune of taking a three month "vacation" to Egypt with my family. We actually came with the idea of perhaps settling in Egypt permanently. I was considering starting a business in Cairo. I have always romanticized about living in Egypt, but after three months the romance is over. I went ready and willing to embrace my country and my people only to be turned away. Turned away by rude people who have forgotten the "akhla'" of a Muslim. Turned away by people driving cars in such a reckless manner that they would be willing to hit and injure or kill a pedestrian if it meant arriving to their destination on time. Turned away by people unwilling to wait their turn in a store, unwilling to open a door for someone, or unwilling to even acknowledge a friendly "salam" from a stranger new to the neighborhood. I witnessed behavior that shocked me, people fighting over trivial things after praying in the masjid, people throwing garbage in the street when trash cans were available next to them on the sidewalk, store owners sighing "uff" because a customer asks to look at an item for sale on a high shelf. I saw good things during my visit too, unfortunately I've been blinded by all the bad things and can hardly recall them, except for my relatives who I love.

After having put my thoughts to paper, I am willing to acknowledge that "embarrassed" is not the appropriate word for capturing how I feel. Now I am simply "sad" for Egypt and for Egyptians and for the state of my country.

I still love Egypt, I just wish we would treat each other better. We look at what the West is doing to Arabs and the Arab world and I constantly hear people complaining and saying it is unjust. But how can we expect others to respect us, if we don't respect each other? If you hate and resent me for writing this, that is out of my control. But if nothing else, I hope some who read this will think twice the next time they are buying bread in the neighborhood "forn". And instead of elbowing people in front of you so you can buy your bread first, simply smile, say salam, and wait your turn. Only then will my romance with Masr be rekindled.

Khalid,

I am from the states and without having traveled anywhere I find myself feeling the same way with my own country. I think probably you're just being honest about your feelings and sometimes it is difficult to admit situations and/or people can disappoint or frustrate you. Just remember, the cure for rudeness, apathy and disrespect is the opposite of these things. Good manners is contagious and reminds others how they should be.
Good luck.
Salaam.

Posts: 183 | From: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, it is mostly goverments fault..what happem here in egypt..

But every single person could make difference...
Even u are angry with ur goverment.,.and u feel helpless that nothing can never change..
But u can do something..
Like in my country, every spring people go out to puplic gardens and roads,and make cleaning..without any salery..we just want enjoy the clean nice living area..

And what i cant really understand..that people must broken every rouls here..
If they buy a flat..and there is rouls..u not change outlook from flat..no painting no windows and so..
Nobody listen..they change everything..and it makes outlook of building very very agly..
This is just small thing..and not important one..but anyway..
If people are living without rouls, it makes them think only themself..they come selffish...They do what ever they like,even it hurt others..And what is most awfull,at end it will be very danger..like traffic in cairo..or driving without rouls on roads..how many people die there..because of some crazy driver..

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi khaled how are you? i was surprised to read your post today, because many of these thoughts passed my mind today. i had an appointment, and was half an hour late because of the traffic. then when i got there i found out that the lady i was supposed to meet had forgotten about me. then when i was walking to my car, people were throwing comments on me, and i was thinking my god why dont they just leave me alone? then it took me two hours to go home because of the traffic, not to mention the 1000 near accidents i was going to have because of the reckless driving.
but does that make me hate egypt? nope. does it make me feel ashamed that i'm egyptian? nope. i'm very proud of being egyptian and i love this country and i always will. why? because i do not love egypt for its cleanliness and organization i love it for other reasons. if these were the criteria i used i would have hated this country with all of my heart. loving egypt for its organization, would be like loving america for its history. america is a great and beautiful country, but its also a young one; so you do not use the criteria of history in your love for it. similary egypt, is not a clean or an organized country so this is not the criteria i use. if you want to be proud of being egyptian, look at the other stuff. your probably asking like what? read Serendipity's post in the questions thread posted by frienda) and yes egyptians (at least cairennes) are becoming really rude and agressive.
today when i was in my car frustrated as hell, and swearing my mind out, i looked up and saw the people crammed in a bus, and i was thinking my god if i am in a bad mood i wonder how they feel? would you be in a good mood if you get stuck in a bus like a can of sardines? would you be polite if youve spent years in medical school to be the creme of the society, and end up making pennies? would you be civilized if after all the years of studying, you cant find a job? would you be friendly, if you couldnt find a job in your hometown, so you have to drive two hours back and forth to cairo every day? would life be great if you have an engineering degree but you have to work as a taxi driver or a waiter because you cant find a job and there is no wasta? do you think if you put a japanese or a german or an american in one of those sardine buses, they would be in a good mood? i dont thinks so
life for many egyptians is becoming more frustrating by the day, and yet they still manage to smile, they still manage to say elhamdullelah. and for that i'm proud to be egyptian.
some coutnries are like a beautiful woman with no personality. when you see them you get fascinated with their beauty, but after a while you start seeing their bad side. then you have egypt, which is like an average looking woman with a great personality. at first you pay her no attention. but after a while you discover how beautiful she is.
now, as much as i love this country, i'm frustrated. but the problem is people here are very passive; they are aware of the problems, but they do not take action. the government makes sure the people have no time to think. with rising prices, and increasing difficulty in making a living, people have no time to think about the problems in the country, and just struggle the whole day to put three meals on the table for their family. i really believe that the government is doing this intnetionally.
you also have cases like hend el hennawy. its all over the news. its like they want people to get so involved in the gossip surrounding the story, and forget about how hard their life is! i hope all of us who love egypt, can do something to change this situation.

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omneya_mohamed
Member # 7817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omneya_mohamed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Brothers and Sisters,

Hi Khaled,
Actually and unforetunately You r right in many things which you mentioned in your message,
Egyptians have changed, they are not the same civilised cultured people who were here 7000 years ago,
But still I don't agree with you for being sad or ashamed or embarassed for being an egyptian, instead you should ask yourself why egypt has become as such,
egyptians changed because of some reasons which you yourself have contributed to by leaving ur country.
If you compare what Egypt has gone through in the past years, you will know how great those egyptians are.
if you think for a while in the problems those egyptians are having and they can do nothing about it, you will feel how great they are.
they shouldn't reply back your "salam" coz u r a newcomer to the neighbourhood to be good people,
But still u r right in some " akhla2" which we now all miss, but this is not only in egypt, u should blame globalisation for it,
it is globalisation that tell people to go faster and further regardless others and that who is late is severly punished nowadays.

Posts: 2 | From: Egypt, Cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omneya_mohamed:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Khalid66:
[b]Brothers and Sisters,

Hi Khaled,
Actually and unforetunately You r right in many things which you mentioned in your message,
Egyptians have changed, they are not the same civilised cultured people who were here 7000 years ago,
But still I don't agree with you for being sad or ashamed or embarassed for being an egyptian, instead you should ask yourself why egypt has become as such,
egyptians changed because of some reasons which you yourself have contributed to by leaving ur country.
If you compare what Egypt has gone through in the past years, you will know how great those egyptians are.
if you think for a while in the problems those egyptians are having and they can do nothing about it, you will feel how great they are.
they shouldn't reply back your "salam" coz u r a newcomer to the neighbourhood to be good people,
But still u r right in some " akhla2" which we now all miss, but this is not only in egypt, u should blame globalisation for it,
it is globalisation that tell people to go faster and further regardless others and that who is late is severly punished nowadays.[/B][/QUOTE]

ALL go to hell wet ISLAM

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalid66
Member # 6071

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khalid66     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7Aya,

Your point is well taken, as are everyone's who took the time to post a reply. Please note that while I mentioned that I live in the U.S., I at no time suggested that the U.S. is better in any manner. That is a very subjective thing that every individual would need to decide for themselves. I empathize for the people who are packed onto buses like "sardines", I feel for medical school graduates who earn "pennies", my heart goes out to the unemployed who cannot marry because they have no income. And as I stated, I understand your point that these people are frustrated and angry. But, and forgive me for saying this, I have grown tired of hearing this as an excuse for every bad behavior in Egypt. You mention that people still manage to say alhamdulillah, but clearly they don't mean it based on their actions and behavior. And I believe Allah clearly knows this. Everything I mention has to do with a lack of "Akhla'", the foundation on which Islam spread. When Muslims exhibited "Akhla'" in behavior in our past, we were rewarded by Allah in the "dunia" and ensha-Allah in the "akhira".

7Aya, your reply seems to suggest that there is a direct correlation between one's financial status or level of satisfaction in their chosen career and their outward behavior towards others. If this were true, why is it that the richest Egyptians seem the rudest and most disrespectful? Based on your thesis, how do you explain a rich doctor throwing trash out onto the street from his 1 million LE Mercedes Benz and almost running over a pedestrian in the process? How do you explain this same well-"educated" physician driving 80 km's per hour through a small residential street where kids are playing and risking hitting and killing a small child in the process because he truly believes that his time is more important than the life of a small child? This is inexcusable behavior. It has nothing to do with one's socio-economic status. It has everything to do with an individual's respect for others and as an extension of that respect for Allah's creation(s), including respect for one's self. And until this is corrected, I believe people in the Arab world will continue to be treated like third class citizens by the West.

Posts: 13 | From: Maplewood, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dracul
Member # 6893

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dracul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a classical issue which segregates civilized people, who happen to be in a minute minority..from the mass majority of rogues running amock wherever you go...they're noisy,loud, undisciplined, vulgar, rude and many other negative characteristics all bundled up in a product resulting from 2500 years of humiliation ,poverty and ignorance after the fall of Egypt's glory due to multiple invasions from practically all sorts of armies that happened to pass through this rich civilization robbing whatever they could reach..the result is the present generation of Egyptians who have become uncontrolable and arrogant..with all due respect..I don't want to belong to this lot, although I'm proud of Egypt my country for it's ancient history which is unique in its richness and value for mankind.
Posts: 48 | From: Transylvania. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi khaled, i would suggest you read "whatever happened to the egyptians?" by galal amin, its very insightful, interesting, and funny!

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Wrong..very wrong. The responsiblity lies totaly in the hands of the people. The sole pupose of the Government existence is to implement the will of the people.

I am not in any way suprised to read that from you. Most people living in places like
London ,where their Government sees to be efficient and organized, have absolutely no clue how it came about. They simply follow the rules and give credit to the goverment unaware that it was their fellow citizens who demanded those rules to be implemented.

And that's OK. Because if the majority did not follow the rules (though blindly) , those rules would be worthless.

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Brothers and Sisters,

I can tell you from experience where you went wrong:

-You went back to Egypt thinking you were going home.

-You tried to do everything the same way you did it in the US and completely neglected the fact that Egypt is very different.

-You may be Egyptian born but you're not probably Egyptian.

My advice is to take it easy and just enjoy your stay there for a while. Don't try to do to much at first rather spend your time as if you're trying to learn or understand why things and people are the way they are.

One very important point is not to try to change things or people around you but just do what you believe is the right thing to do.

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this interesting article on the net regarding this topic. It was written 18 years ago though things didn't change in the meantime.

Please read:
http://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF1001/Lamb/Lamb.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paint Me As I Am:
[B]*** Welcome to Egypt *** I love Egypt I guess thats why i make my way back at least 4 times a year,.
--------------

Yes, Paint Me, we also love our Egypt.
I do agree with you, what we need is stiffer monitoring rather than laws of which we have plenty but not implemented.
I do wish we have a consciencesious leader who really care about our country and gets out of his conditioned office into the streets talking to the people without his entourage.
Perhaps then, he will see and feel for his people, and do something about it.

zeina20
Member # 569

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeina20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khaled , honestly , many times I share with u this feeling , and I really wish if I would be any other nationality , i know what u were talking about and it drives me crazy to think about it. I agree with u that Egyptian really changed. And for me it's for worse , you know I'm just 25 , but I remember 15 years ago that life was much , much better , even if it's now looks more bright and colorful but it's Fake ,Those novo Richey who drive their cars like crazy have nothing but their money ,they think that they have every thing they always look down to the poor ppl who are crossing the street as they don't have the right to live or to cross the street and stop them , they never say hi to u if u share the elevator or whatsoever. Yes they are many but they are not all the Egyptians , there are some who really have good families who spent some time with them and did a great job in bringing them up . but imagine that u were brought up by nobody ur parents were working in the gulf to get u a nice apartment , a car and a hell of money, nobody ever told you to respect other ppl or to be polite. So i think the major problem is the family; they were too busy thinking that money is the only thing that their kids need ,. On the other hand there are few gentle and genuine ppl just like ur family Khaled , u know i love Egypt that I know from the history books, the black and white movies , that I see when I smile at a poor man who is eating a foul sandwich and ready to give me half of it as a hospitality , Egypt that I see when an elderly man walks early morning to grouppi café and smile" bounjour " , Egypt that I see at night when the street are empty and clean , Egypt of Om Koulthum , Naima Akaf , Naguib Mahfuz ,Sadat , Mounir. I create my own Egypt.
As I create my own unique Egyptian self. And I think my job as a tour guide made me really discover the charm of my country , which u didn't see in Cairo all the time . but when u live with Bedouins who offer u their tent for no return, or when a man invite u in Aswan to share a meal with his family for no more than hospitality, and when his little girl give you a necklace that she made for you as souvenir, when u see the whole village giving you a warm farewell, you can't hate it or be embarrassed to belong to them.
Khaled , honestly , many times I share with u this feeling , and I really wish if I would be any other nationality , i know what u were talking about and it drives me crazy to think about it. I agree with u that Egyptian really changed. And for me it's for worse , you know I'm just 25 , but I remember 15 years ago that life was much , much better , even if it's now looks more bright and colorful but it's Fake ,Those novo Richey who drive their cars like crazy have nothing but their money ,they think that they have every thing they always look down to the poor ppl who are crossing the street as they don't have the right to live or to cross the street and stop them , they never say hi to u if u share the elevator or whatsoever. Yes they are many but they are not all the Egyptians , there are some who really have good families who spent some time with them and did a great job in bringing them up . but imagine that u were brought up by nobody ur parents were working in the gulf to get u a nice apartment , a car and a hell of money, nobody ever told you to respect other ppl or to be polite. So i think the major problem is the family; they were too busy thinking that money is the only thing that their kids need ,. On the other hand there are few gentle and genuine ppl just like ur family Khaled , u know i love Egypt that I know from the history books, the black and white movies , that I see when I smile at a poor man who is eating a foul sandwich and ready to give me half of it as a hospitality , Egypt that I see when an elderly man walks early morning to grouppi café and smile" bounjour " , Egypt that I see at night when the street are empty and clean , Egypt of Om Koulthum , Naima Akaf , Naguib Mahfuz ,Sadat , Mounir. I create my own Egypt.
As I create my own unique Egyptian self. And I think my job as a tour guide made me really discover the charm of my country , which u didn't see in Cairo all the time . but when u live with Bedouins who offer u their tent for no return, or when a man invite u in Aswan to share a meal with his family for no more than hospitality, and when his little girl give you a necklace that she made for you as souvenir, when u see the whole village giving you a warm farewell, you can't hate it or be embarrassed to belong to them.

Posts: 47 | From: tour guide | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khalid,

In regards of your personal experiences, maybe they resent you because you are leaving an impression of some "wealthy" Egyptian guy who enjoyed his life in America while they had suffered and fought for bare survival. People can resent you if you have more than them. They think it's unfair that one person could have it all and another one is starving. If Egyptian culture promotes dignity and people feel proud no matter what, they will not admit the problems because they don't want to feel like victims. Your criticizam will be insulting to them because they may feel that you have no right to expect anything since you were not part of their survival.

As far as throwing the garbage on the streets while they have garbage cans nearby and cutting people off in lines, is the matter of "manners" that people learn at home. Traffic issues are probably not easy to solve for many other factors. People have so many problems they don't think about clean streets if they have 6 children waiting home for food and shelter.

There is no perfect country in the world, every place has something that is causing a frustration. It looks to me that your dissatisfaction is more related to your own expectations about your 'native' land. It could be some resentment of personal nature on your part, for instance if you did not get the job you were looking for, or you were pressured into something you did not want. You are also maybe going through adjustment period. It usualy takes about 2 years to get used to the new environment. The first period of life in any new place is like a "honeymoon". Everything seems perfect, then you start to see the bad things, get angry and frustrated, then you come to the 'balance'. Adjustment is a normal process - you are not only one who goes through it. It takes time.

If you had balanced opinion that would be more healthy. Or Egypt is simply not having 'certain norms' that are of value to you, but there is a reason why it bothers you so much. Still, it's all in you, how you see it and how you interpret it. There is no one single factor you can point out, so all of you who gave comments on this issue have some truth in it, but that's not the only truth.

You also have another option - to change something about it and make it a better place. It all depends how much you as an Egyptian care. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by ~Sharon Stone~ (edited 03 June 2005).]

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khaled, the lifestyle in Egypt differs from the one in the US. You are accostumed to the one in America. Luckily you have the chance to decide for yourself and for your family where you want to reside and live happily. Most of the Egyptians will never have this kind of opportunity........
Member # 8301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know how u feel my egyptain husband an i came here to start a business and new life after being here for 6 months we are going home not to turn
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These things happen when you have a lot of people whom you have taught to not thinbk themselves, but to have their answers prepared to them by others and also copy the others, the majority.

If each person would be brought up knowing he himself is responsible for his deeds, and his values, they would not be so easily influenced by a few showy scoundrels. But now all are trying to behave "like the others".

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bratkota:
i know how u feel my egyptain husband an i came here to start a business and new life after being here for 6 months we are going home not to turn

and your egyptian husband did not know that these problems existed in egypt? was he so out of sync with his own home, that he was not aware of the obstacles you can face building a business? in all those years you've been together you've never visited egypt? and the most important question is, is your husband uspet with the situation in egypt, or is he ashamed of being egyptian? because there is a big difference. and by the way since you are american, well there are a few things going on in your country at the moment that should make you REALLY ashamed of being an american.

NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going off on a tangent here, but 7aya:
"then you have egypt, which is like an average looking woman with a great personality. at first you pay her no attention. but after a while you discover how beautiful she is."

That is just brilliant....thanks for the post...

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
and your egyptian husband did not know that these problems existed in egypt? was he so out of sync with his own home, that he was not aware of the obstacles you can face building a business? in all those years you've been together you've never visited egypt? and the most important question is, is your husband uspet with the situation in egypt, or is he ashamed of being egyptian? because there is a big difference. and by the way since you are american, well there are a few things going on in your country at the moment that should make you REALLY ashamed of being an american.

7aya, why getting so personal from a little comment of a newcomer. Unfortunately the poster didn't write too much information on how and why their business idea didn't work out; in which specific problems they run into.

And why should she be ashamed of being an American? Why does Americans have to be ashamed of their own country? No place is perfect. And in this case the couple had at least the choice to move to another country to try to work a business. Now there are moving back because life obviously is better for them over there. Again, they have the choice, many do not.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
tiger, america is a great country i am sure. and some of my idols are americans. but the reason i said that is because she is telling him that she understands why he is ashamed of egypt. so thats why i told her that america also has things that would make an american ashamed. its normal not to like a country and want to relocate. but saying that you are ashamed to be part of it, well that is not ok.
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every law worths as much as the people keep from it.Whatever laws the goverment can bring ,if the people dont keep them ,coz they dont know them by themselves (i mean the garbage things and so on) ,then what does it worth?? A big nothing.I could blame the government in 30% and the people 70% coz of the dirt in the streets,true ,the government could make more effort and the MEDIA on keeping this city,this coutry safe but it comes from the family background also what the kids are learning to throw the bottle into the garbage bin or onto the street..I heared people saying many times when i asked them not to throw things out from the car that ^so what its a desert,it goes back to the nature^..
The media has a HUGE role in these things and i would like to open people`s eye about keeping our children in baby chair while driving,not keeping them in our laps coz one sudden stop and....There are so many things to teach and learn and its never late.
Best wishes

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Khaled;

I read your post, and to be honest with you, just from the title, I was about to read with a very sour response waiting for you ( I am known for my hard criticism and poison words) the only thing on my mond was " And every one else is embarrassed that you are Egyptian", but the truth of the mater is, I just couldn’t do that after i read what you had to say,
I am almost in the same show you are in, half Egyptian, half American, with one little exception or advantage if you may say, that is I had the privilege to live in Egypt through my high school and first bachelor degree, so you kinda think that I might have gained a strong immunity against the daily hardship a n outsider might face in egypt, from the lack of courtesy, ill manners, you were talking about.

I've been trying to make the permanent more back to Egypt for almost a year and a half, I move back and convince myself, " this time it is final, I will get used to it, it is my country and I adore it", but soon after the worm welcome from family and friends, I wake up and smell the coffee, and start getting annoyed by the manners of the people ( strangers), the lack of organization, the dirtiness, and the absolute disregard and disrespect for others. a trades of the Egyptian personality that you would notice while you drive your car, riding a bus ( if you are unlucky enough ) or even stopping a taxi, and wow to you if you want to do some thing that is related to any governmental office, you would instantly see how life could be tough in Egypt, where you have to always look around and make sure, no one will push you, shove you, stick you with a knife or rob you,
yes , it is a jungle out there, a jungle where survival is not to the fittest, or the strongest, but rather to the rude, the loud, bully, and specially the criminals with the lowest level of morals.

Just like you, I am very sad to see my beloved country in such chaos, with no room for religion, manners, decency or even the lowest level of human dignity (if any),
In the beginning I thought, to bad, common Egyptians have to live like that, but well, Egypt is still a great please to live in if you have the tools most common Egyptian have been deprived off, knowledge, education, experience, and of course, what matters the most, Money, with money you could live like a king in Egypt.
So I thought, THATS IT, I will go back to Egypt, and start a business, even better, I'll move my US based business to Egypt, I'll live like a king, be amongst my family and friends, and most importantly I will contribute in changing the fu**ed up condition, ( one step at a time), but that turned out to be a very platonic dream, that is far from being true, doing business in Egypt turned out to be as tough as driving in Cairo, or standing up in line, if you are following the laws, you will get slammed, and your accountant would laugh at you if you want to pay taxes, and the banker would offer a loan with no collateral if he gets a piece of the loan ( who cares it isn’t his money, it is only the people’s money), nothing gets done without a bribe, no contract before you feed the official who would sign it, and everyone who would see it, and then someone would tell you , how about the minister's chair in this bribe ??"
The laws are set to attract Egyptian capital from abroad, and manufacturing businesses, and at the same time drive you away from in and encourages you to become a consumer of foreign goods or simply import more poison food.

We (who lived outside of Egypt) got used to the simple idea or waiting for our turn, respect the laws, and follow certain common rules, when you drive, you will stop at a red light, and give a signal before you turn, you go to a public office, and the first thigh you do ask " where is the end of the line", but this is not the case in Egypt, the only common rule in Egypt is "ITS A JUNGLE", if you do stop at a red light, everyone would call you names as if you are braking the law (it did happen to me, I got a ticket for stopping at a red light) and another time I had my car locked for parking behind the car of the traffic general, and if you ask for the line, someone will give you the figure and tell you "HERE is a LINE FOR YOU"
At the beginning, you don’t know who to blame, should you blame yourself for even thinning of coming back, or blame the people who are killing each other for a penny, blame the government, poverty, ignorance, or what is it exactly you have to blame,
95% would take the very obvious decision, to leave and never come back, and no one could blame anyone for that, heck, how could you blame anyone for trying to leave this jungle, where you aren’t safe if you play by the rules.

I thought about this matter, and still thinking about it all the time, why is it like this in Egypt, like any other place in the world, people are dumb, religion is only a theory, government is corrupt and everyone is concerned only for his immediate benefit, so what is the difference,
and I came to one little conclusion, man kind by nature is a savage being and will do everything wrong unless there is a deterrent, either a powerful law that would punish the offenders immediately or a strong belief in write and wrong, this is why in most other regions people are organized and law respecting citizens, because despite the absence of GOD in their thoughts, they fear the consequences of bricking the man made laws, but in Egypt where the law is made to fit the criminals, and religon is only a platonic dream, there is no deterrent for the strong to devour the weak, and the corrupt, to destroy decency, and religion to disappears for ever,
I cant advise you or claim that I have a clear answer to this dilemma, but I can only tell you one thing, it will never get better if we all decide to leave, it will only get worst, "in allah la yoghayer ma bekawm 7ata yoghayero ma b anfosihm " "Allah would not change what is in people unless they change themselves first"
I looked around and see only my country being destroyed from within, my land being sold to my enemies, and my friends and family turn into cannibals, everyone with half brain would see a lost cause, would have the right to flee with their life, but it is my right, and I chose to STAND UP AND FIGHT.

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medhat
Member # 6648

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very sad and dicouraging !!!! I am coming back in 6 weeks, and I have all the intentions to stay...I hope that I don't have to fight.
Posts: 7 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
guys can i ask a question? did you ever think that when egyptians travel they also find alot of things they dislike? isn't it some form of western arrogance to assume that no one would find anything wrong with your countries? elhamdullelah i've been blessed enough to have traveled to some of the most beautiful cities in the world and believe it or not i found many negative things. also i know several friends who tried to live in in the US and changed their mind after experiencing their life there for many different reasons. i'm sure US is a great country but what you might find perfect another person could see many flaws in it, and vice versa
welsafty i respect your decision to fight. i want to fight too. as i said earlier the cause of the demsise of the egyptian people is their passivness!

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said welsafty..i agree 100%.
7aya u dont always have to take everything as a personal attack just becoz someone says an opinion which maybe doesnt fit urs.Immediately u start saying hey and wht about the western countries ,there r also things tht we dislike.We were talking about Egypt and why people feel sad for the situation of this country.Its not a competition here,who can say bigger than the other.
Best

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
viva,,,i agree with u so much..
By the way..can i get ur email adress..
i just think u are my kind of person..and we could have something in commen

7aya, i dont know from where u get the idea,that we dont think that our own countries have problems..
Oh, i could tell u many thing...what makes me feel ashame about Finland.
But we should start maybe a new topic..this is anyway now about egypt..
I love to hear,what people are saying about my country, it really wakes me up sometimes..
And if somebody says bad things, i use to agree with them..or if i dont feel the same way,i told for them..but without pushing them to change their opinion. And it doesnt hurt me,it is nothing personal..if somebody doesnt like my country..if somebody says to me,that i hate u, then i could come sad or angry..

Feelings..this is all about feelings..we are different kind of personalities here.
Freedom, we are free to say our opinions..
Respect, very important thing..

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by puppy:
viva,,,i agree with u so much..
By the way..can i get ur email adress..
i just think u are my kind of person..and we could have something in commen

7aya, i dont know from where u get the idea,that we dont think that our own countries have problems..
Oh, i could tell u many thing...what makes me feel ashame about Finland.
But we should start maybe a new topic..this is anyway now about egypt..
I love to hear,what people are saying about my country, it really wakes me up sometimes..
And if somebody says bad things, i use to agree with them..or if i dont feel the same way,i told for them..but without pushing them to change their opinion. And it doesnt hurt me,it is nothing personal..if somebody doesnt like my country..if somebody says to me,that i hate u, then i could come sad or angry..

Feelings..this is all about feelings..we are different kind of personalities here.
Freedom, we are free to say our opinions..
Respect, very important thing..

easier said than done puppy. i started reading egyptsearch a year before i registered. at first the attacks towards egypt didn't bother me much, but after a while it just started getting way too much.

puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
7aya, when i came to this forum,about half years ago..i was feeling like,are the people real..nobady says anything bad...am i only one,who is feeling that life here is one big chaos...
now i feel that i'm maybe normal..because i'm homesick..
anyway, i feel in this forum more positive things about egypt than negative.
only religion things are driving me crazy,people who talk about it..are really close minded and pushing their opinions too far..

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]I'm Embarrassed To Be Egyptian!

Ich auch

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Yesssss sure puppy,its my pleasure girlie
Look i have yahoo but right now its out of order coz i got loadz of virus from it..so would b good if u had hotmail.We could chat over there.My id is : fingkatia@hotmail.com
Let me here about u soon. Take care plz.

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
HEAR**
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
hey viva...did u get my email? i hope so,i send it from my finnish adress..

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com