EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Baggage help in the airport

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baggage help in the airport
tracey2BNegypt
Member # 7792

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for tracey2BNegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone can help me- I am moving to cairo in August and I know that the standard baggage check-in is 2 suitcases. Since I am moving there, there is no way I can fit everything into 2 suitcases. Does anyone know the rates charges for each additional case. Ive narrowed it down to 7 pieces of luggage. Thanks so much
Posts: 27 | From: new jersey, usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much baggage you are allowed depends on your airline and the kind of ticket you have, so you need to call your airline and check with them.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 31 May 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Oh dear... and I thought I was packing heavy, bringing 4 bags when I move there next month!! I tried to email my airline (Delta) to ask that question but they won't answer via email. It seems you have to call whatever airline you are flying. I don't know if you've ever flown to Cairo before, but plan on waiting a good long time to claim all your luggage...it's a bit slow. Also, if you're traveling as a single woman, prepare to be hassled at passport control (the men will undoubtedly tell you how beautiful you are- and I'm talking about the jackasses that work there). Good luck!!
quote:
Originally posted by tracey2BNegypt:
I was wondering if anyone can help me- I am moving to cairo in August and I know that the standard baggage check-in is 2 suitcases. Since I am moving there, there is no way I can fit everything into 2 suitcases. Does anyone know the rates charges for each additional case. Ive narrowed it down to 7 pieces of luggage. Thanks so much

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlc
Member # 1440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most airlines charge per pound ! and it really is not that much either, but the things you are bringing..., are they things you can purchase in Egypt? or are they treasures that need to be insured? When i moved to Cairo I put my things i a locked storage compound as i was returning in 2 years, besides there are many lovely things to buy in Egypt for the home and clothes are inexpensive.
Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracey.. why do you need to bring so much stuff??
I moved here with one large case... just clothes and necessaries, and my diving equipment.. you can buy all household stuff here!!
Stuff like towels and bedding take up too much space,and are very cheap and nice here!!
Good luck!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by american gal:
Also, if you're traveling as a single woman, prepare to be hassled at passport control (the men will undoubtedly tell you how beautiful you are- and I'm talking about the jackasses that work there). Good luck!!

I've flown in and out of Cairo countless times and never got that sort of harrassment at passport control.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dalia:
[B] [QUOTE]Originally posted by american gal:
[b] Also, if you're traveling as a single woman, prepare to be hassled at passport control (the men will undoubtedly tell you how beautiful you are- and I'm talking about the jackasses that work there).
-----------

This never happened to me at Cairo Airport.
It did, however happen at LA airport. I even got a date..! But I would not tell what happened then.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, Im from canada and i moved to Egypt last august and brought with me 2 luggages plus a large carry-on. I flew with swiss air.
I bought those big plastic boxes that people use to move or to store things, you know, you can get them at walmart for 15$ or so. those things are light and as big as permitted.
you have a limit of pieces but the size of those is more flexible, think about it.
make sure to bring your favorite pharmacy/beauty products, if you like specific brands.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracey2BNegypt
Member # 7792

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracey2BNegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for all your help. Actually nothing Im bringing is household stuff. Clothes, shoes, bath products, and gifts. I am trying to narrow it down a bit more. I have to say I am completely in awe and impressed with all of you for going there with not as much luggage! how did you do it! do you go back to the states throughout the year and bring more stuff back? did u ship stuff ahead of time? i think my worry is that im not going back to the states to visit for atleast a year and so i want to make sure i have everything i need.

Posts: 27 | From: new jersey, usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Member # 7834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[
Posts: 4 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Member # 7834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracey,

Call the airline. NWA charged me $200 for an extra box two years ago. Also, if you use a box and not a suitcase you have to sign a damage waiver.

The others are right, you won't need as much as you think, especially since you'll want to go clothes shopping there.

Light

Posts: 4 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com