EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Posting gifts to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Posting gifts to Egypt
Sunrise
Member # 7875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunrise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please can anyone help me understand the postal system in Egypt... I need to know what sort of gifts I can post which wont incur "taxes" to be paid by the recipient.... most embarassing..! Even though I stated "gift" on the parcel, it was opened and taxes had to be paid....
thanks

Posts: 5 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were lucky they actually got the contents. That doesn't always happen.

The only thing I am aware of that you don't pay duty on is books. I get books delivered to me here from Amazon and I haven't had to pay tax on those. Everything else I think you do I know people that have had pay for childrens clothes and toiletries never mind more obvious things. most Egyptians would advise you not to send them things because of this and becasue they often go missing.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunrise
Member # 7875

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Sunrise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posting certain things out of Egypt is also not allowed, I understand...
IF anyone knows of how the taxes are levied on items I would love to know....
I really wanted to be able to send other things than books ....:-)

Posts: 5 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunrise
Member # 7875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunrise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One small parcel I sent took 4 weeks to arrive.... so be patient a little longer !! Btw I sent a data CD too and my friend had to pay tax on that !
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been waiting for photos to be delivered in Cairo.....I won't blame the British Royal Mail..... it left OK.....did not get delivered......still waiting six months on....for the egyption postal service....
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much are taxes/customs on clothes anyway?
Are they as ridiculously high as they used to be?

Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kkkaaa:
omg

i was furious with the british royal mail, that my parcel was not recieved in egypt...

i send a CD that i burned.....so do u think those officail took it :O

wat can i do, well wat can the receopent do in egypt..it has gone missing for 4 weeks now

Ya Kkkakka... why furious with the British Royal mail???
Stuff gets opened here in Egypt, not England!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunrise
Member # 7875

Rate Member
yes it does lol. I did not like to say that.... in case I upset anyone lol
i find things posted to me get here within 2 weeks (UK) usually
but what ever i post takes between 10days and 28 days

hatshepsut
Member # 4664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatshepsut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mail is not working with parcels or anything that has more value than a letter.....

if you don't want to pay a fortune on fedex or ups, you should try to get tourists to take your stuff with you.... ask in the local travel agency / office if somebody is willing to take the things - usually no problem....

Posts: 127 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I send things to UK on a regular basis and it all depends what weight and how fast you want them to arrive. ALWAYS best to send from Cairo it is more safe and cheaper, Fedex and DHL expensive, EMS cheaper but the cheapest is Egypt Post. You will have to take the things down to postoffice and expect to be there an hour (its next to Rameses Station). Do not seal up your parcel as they need to see whats in it and you will probably have to fill out a customs form - ALWAYS put on it "gift" and hand made, probably it may save you duty charges. Air mail package up to 25 kilos take 5 days to the UK and 2 weeks by sea, 99.9% usually arrive if sent from Cairo they are pretty good. I can recommend Egyot Post !
Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunrise
Member # 7875

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by WELSHLADYUK:
I send things to UK on a regular basis and it all depends what weight and how fast you want them to arrive. ALWAYS best to send from Cairo it is more safe and cheaper, Fedex and DHL expensive, EMS cheaper but the cheapest is Egypt Post. You will have to take the things down to postoffice and expect to be there an hour (its next to Rameses Station). Do not seal up your parcel as they need to see whats in it and you will probably have to fill out a customs form - ALWAYS put on it "gift" and hand made, probably it may save you duty charges. Air mail package up to 25 kilos take 5 days to the UK and 2 weeks by sea, 99.9% usually arrive if sent from Cairo they are pretty good. I can recommend Egyot Post !

Thanks for that BUT have you ever received anything in Egypt that has not been taxed other than Books?

Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sunrise:
quote:
Originally posted by WELSHLADYUK:

Thanks for that BUT have you ever received anything in Egypt that has not been taxed other than Books?
I'd like to know this too
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost everything that comes into Egypt - why whatever method of transportation - is taxable. Whether this 'tax' is entirely legal, one never really gets to know, and there seems to be no fixed published list as to how they value articles or the amount of tax that becomes 'due'. Gifts are also subject to tax, which often comes to more than the value of the article! It really is not a good idea to send any goods into Egypt whether they be gifts or not.
Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com