EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » american marrying and egyptian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: american marrying and egyptian
blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an american citizen planning to marry an egyptian citizen in Egypt. My former husband is dead. I read that I am supposed to have his death certificate authenticated by an egyptian consul in the united states, before I leave for egypt. Today I looked again at the website for the Egyptian Consulate here on our west coast, and I cannot find where it says how to get this authentication! Can someone tell me where the official information can be found?

Posts: 9 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was recently married and was suppose to have my divorce certificate from my last marriage authenticated. As long as you have the stamp showing that the certificate is the original or certified copy they will accept it in the american embassy in egypt.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Minry,
Oh! Thank you so much for your response I hope it could be so simple as you say? My fiancee told me they request a "single-ness document", which I presume is what the Egyptian Consulate here would do.. you say you presented your divorce decree to the American embassy.. is it not the Egyptian authorities who require the documentation? I am confused.. ~anna

Posts: 9 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had take all of my papers to the american embassy and they gave me a packet to fill out. Then i had to take that to the Ministry of foreign affairs. Maybe it is different for a death but it was REALLY easy when i did it.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blythespirit:
I am an american citizen planning to marry an egyptian citizen in Egypt. My former husband is dead. I read that I am supposed to have his death certificate authenticated by an egyptian consul in the united states, before I leave for egypt. Today I looked again at the website for the Egyptian Consulate here on our west coast, and I cannot find where it says how to get this authentication! Can someone tell me where the official information can be found?

Hi blythespirit!

Why don’t you phone the consulate, they will be able to answer your questions better than people here can, or check out the American Embassy in Cairo website: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/marriage.htm

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Newcomer,
thanks so much for the link..u r right on target cuz i think this is where i saw the marriage requirements originally ..

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi blythespirit!

Why don’t you phone the consulate, they will be able to answer your questions better than people here can, or check out the American Embassy in Cairo website: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/marriage.htm

blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Minry,
i'm glad it was easy for you! I hope it goes easy for me too.. thanks again for ur time and info

quote:
Originally posted by minry80:
I had take all of my papers to the american embassy and they gave me a packet to fill out. Then i had to take that to the Ministry of foreign affairs. Maybe it is different for a death but it was REALLY easy when i did it.

blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Paint Me,
i guess i will look to see if there is an Egyptian Consulate in Sacramento, as that is where i live.. (i did not know there was a town called Blythe!).. yes, i had planned to send my document to the one in San Francisco-I know it can be done by mail.. I just cannot, for the life of me, find the instructions.. i went to their website and i can't find them.. i emailed them too, but have not heard from them yet.. i guess i will have to phone them. Thanks for telling me of your experience ~anna
Hello There, Blyhespirit

When i got my certificate Authenticated by our State ( i did mine in San Fran. or u can go to Sacramento) I also had to go to the Egyptian Counselor- place where u get the Visa( San Franscisco, CA) & have it Registered there before the American Embassey in Cairo would accept it.. do all the home work before making a long expensive trip..( i didn't marry after all that work)

By the way- would u happen to live in the Town of Blythe?

Thx: Jannah[/B][/QUOTE]

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Paint Me,
i guess i will look to see if there is an Egyptian Consulate in Sacramento, as that is where i live.. (i did not know there was a town called Blythe!).. yes, i had planned to send my document to the one in San Francisco-I know it can be done by mail.. I just cannot, for the life of me, find the instructions.. i went to their website and i can't find them.. i emailed them too, but have not heard from them yet.. i guess i will have to phone them. Thanks for telling me of your experience ~anna
Hello There, Blyhespirit

When i got my certificate Authenticated by our State ( i did mine in San Fran. or u can go to Sacramento) I also had to go to the Egyptian Counselor- place where u get the Visa( San Franscisco, CA) & have it Registered there before the American Embassey in Cairo would accept it.. do all the home work before making a long expensive trip..( i didn't marry after all that work)

By the way- would u happen to live in the Town of Blythe?

Thx: Jannah

[/B][/QUOTE]

Before the documents can be stamped by an Egyptian consul, they must be authenticated twice in the US: first by the state which issued the said decree, then by Office of Authentications (Department of State) in Washington, DC.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianbeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:

Before the documents can be stamped by an Egyptian consul, they must be authenticated twice in the US: first by the state which issued the said decree, then by Office of Authentications (Department of State) in Washington, DC.

is that true also for divorce?

Posts: 166 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptianbeast:
is that true also for divorce?

Yes, I did my divorce that way. First I went with the decree certified by the state it was issued at to the Egy Consulate and they sent me back for Dept. of State Authentication seal. Apparently it petrains to ALL official documents that are being used abroad. Egy Ministry of Justice in Cairo looked for all the seals and stamps VERY carefully on my divorce decree...

[This message has been edited by Karah_Mia (edited 18 July 2005).]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean that even though my husband's death certificate is a certified copy ( i guess certified by the County of issue) that i then must have it certified by a state department? which state department would that be? and after that it has to go to a department in washington d.c., and THEN i take it with me to Egypt??

quote:
Yes, I did my divorce that way. First I went with the decree certified by the state it was issued at to the Egy Consulate and they sent me back for Dept. of State Authentication seal. Apparently it petrains to ALL official documents that are being used abroad. Egy Ministry of Justice in Cairo looked for all the seals and stamps VERY carefully on my divorce decree...

blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
you mean that even though my husband's death certificate is a certified copy ( i guess certified by the County of issue) that i then must have it certified by a state department? which state department would that be? and after that it has to go to a department in washington d.c., and THEN i send it to the Egyptian consulate in sacramento or san francisco and then i take it to egypt.. geezzz... this is too much

quote:

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUOTE]Originally posted by blythespirit:
you mean that even though my husband's death certificate is a certified copy ( i guess certified by the County of issue) that i then must have it certified by a state department? which state department would that be? and after that it has to go to a department in washington d.c., and THEN i send it to the Egyptian consulate in sacramento or san francisco and then i take it to egypt.. geezzz... this is too much

[/QUOTE]

Please check this website: http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

The 'authentication order' is:
1. Secretary of state where the document was issued (check if you have it for sure!)
2. Department of State Authentication Office
3. Egyptian Consulate

Then you can take it to American Embassy to get the non-objection statement, and then Ministry of Justice in Cairo for translation and further authentication.

You may phone the closest Egyptian consulate to confirm it: the authentication process I showed you was required in the Egyptian Consulate in Washington, DC.

blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okkkkkkkkkkkkk thank you so much for spelling it out like that Karah.. omg he better be worth it!!!!! ~anna

quote:
QUOTE]Originally posted by blythespirit:
[b]you mean that even though my husband's death certificate is a certified copy ( i guess certified by the County of issue) that i then must have it certified by a state department? which state department would that be? and after that it has to go to a department in washington d.c., and THEN i send it to the Egyptian consulate in sacramento or san francisco and then i take it to egypt.. geezzz... this is too much

Please check this website: http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

The 'authentication order' is:
1. Secretary of state where the document was issued (check if you have it for sure!)
2. Department of State Authentication Office
3. Egyptian Consulate

Then you can take it to American Embassy to get the non-objection statement, and then Ministry of Justice in Cairo for translation and further authentication.

You may phone the closest Egyptian consulate to confirm it: the authentication process I showed you was required in the Egyptian Consulate in Washington, DC.

[/B][/QUOTE]

guitar
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for guitar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi . my name is hany from egypt .christian
i live in cairo and i wish to marry a woman from usa or europe . have a kind and soft heart .

my e_mail guitarnight2003@hotmail.com

thank you . best wishes to you
hany .

Posts: 9 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guitar
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for guitar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

hello all .my name is hany from egypt i am christian and single . i looking for a woman have a true love ,a true heart ,a true soul . love me and love her . do anything with us also have a good mind to share me . need a woman from usa or europe. couse i believe the womens in these country have a strong personality and good mind . please tell me is this impossible . is this a dreem . or can it come true.
my e_mail guitarnight2003@hotmail.com
will wait my dreem for ever .
hany .

Posts: 9 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
okkkkkkkkkkkkk thank you so much for spelling it out like that Karah.. omg he better be worth it!!!!! ~anna

Darn right he better!!!!!!! Those procedures drove me crazy last year: still recuperating.

linda wissa
Member # 8412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for linda wissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try calling the State Department in Washington, D.C. I married an egyptian last year and am now living in Cairo. I am divorced and had to get my divorce decree authenicated by the egyptian consulate in Texas since I lived in Alabama. The State Department has a lot of information and can tell you where to get your documents authenicated. I know it was a lot of work getting everything authenicated, but it was worth it. Also do a search for the egyptian consulate closest to you. Also, make sure you call them and ask them if you pay them in money order or whatever. They will not accept checks and you have to send them a return envelope. I sent everything of mine by fedex.
quote:

Posts: 10 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
wow. I didn't have to do any of that stuff. I guess i was just lucky!
egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianbeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linda wissa:
Try calling the State Department in Washington, D.C. I married an egyptian last year and am now living in Cairo. I am divorced and had to get my divorce decree authenicated by the egyptian consulate in Texas since I lived in Alabama. The State Department has a lot of information and can tell you where to get your documents authenicated. I know it was a lot of work getting everything authenicated, but it was worth it. Also do a search for the egyptian consulate closest to you. Also, make sure you call them and ask them if you pay them in money order or whatever. They will not accept checks and you have to send them a return envelope. I sent everything of mine by fedex.

so u have to get ur divorce authenticated at egyptian embassy and then in washington too?

Posts: 166 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
so u have to get ur divorce authenticated at egyptian embassy and then in washington too?

No, first DC, then Egyptian Embassy.

egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
quote:
No, first DC, then Egyptian Embassy.

do you mail it?

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
do you mail it?

I work 20 minutes away from the Embassy in DC so I just dropped it off myself and they actually did it on the spot. If you live far, best way is to courier (or FedEx, or UPS, etc.) the documents with a paid return envelope (I did that with first step of authentication: the Secretary of State of VA in my case, and I got the paper back next day! I was really impressed ), it usually takes 2-3 days to get it back.

egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
quote:
I work 20 minutes away from the Embassy in DC so I just dropped it off myself and they actually did it on the spot. If you live far, best way is to courier (or FedEx, or UPS, etc.) the documents with a paid return envelope (I did that with first step of authentication: the Secretary of State of VA in my case, and I got the paper back next day! I was really impressed ), it usually takes 2-3 days to get it back.

what do u send just a copy of your divorce?

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
what do u send just a copy of your divorce?

http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
blythespirit,

Dear Anna,

I mean this in a very sincere way....you might consider the possibilty of marrying him in the states.

You legally have more rights,being an american citizen yourself. It is kind of an "extra-protection" for you. If he truly loves you he will be able to get here, and it will all work out for the best.

You will here many against this, and many excuses, but look at all the red tape just for you right now.

I am not saying "he is not worth it", but all my years of travel and working in arab countries, it is in your best interest, if you are serious about this marriage , to think twice before marrying there.

Many laws have changed, some will make it out on here that it is so simple and cut and dry. The process in Egypt is a huge headache, and really no legal protection for you.

Some giving you advice, had a connection to make the process go faster( meaning someone in a governmental position they knew).

Really we all have to look out for each other, and I hope you fine tune everything, because once you are there, you are in a total different culture and world.

Egypt is very beautiful and warm-hearted people, and you are swept away in love right now. But the governmental red -tape is a total different world, you are about to encounter. Please think before you act on it.
Sincerely,
Alana

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint me as I am,

Dear Jannah,

God always sends someone for everyone.

Sometimes you have to endure the heartaches, before the "best is yet to come"!

Don't lose faith, God will send someone more deserving of your love.

When you least expect it,he will show up!

Best Wishes

Alana

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blythespirit
Member # 8303

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for blythespirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Alana,
thanks for your advice.
well, right now i don't know what i am gonna do. he apparently can't come here cuz of army requirements and studies..and i can't go there right now cuz of money and such..
anyway, the paperwork process is still unclear. he says they will take a certified copy there-so supposedly then i don't have to get it authenticated here by all these different offices.
sounds like a lot of work just to get the paper taken care of and still it is unclear what to do with it.
i know it's a totally different culture there. that's part of the draw for me. my previous husband was also from a different country.
thanks again- anna

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com