EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Where to socialize and have fun?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to socialize and have fun?
Tom Cat
Member # 8421

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear all
I (western guy) just arrived in Cairo some days ago.Last Thursday the company driver went out with us and made a tour of some clubs and discos but the public was rather disappointing. I know well, that decent local girls are not going to Clubs,neither drink and smoke. Guess men are rather accepted/tolerated to do the sins, despite they are muslims. I'm not here to judge people. I simple want to know in which clubs/pubs go foreign single ladies and western people in general. I have seen so many western people having dinner in restaurants and I'm sure that they go out to clubs to have fun later on. I just didn't find out where.
All recommendation are welcome, specially when you can give me the address and name of the location. I have to build up my social circle since I will stay for a long time here and really like to know where to go. I apologize to the decent and working local female population in case I have offended anybody with my comments above (smoking and drinking). I know there are 20% christians in Egypt.
Can any foreign man give me some input about the experience he made dating a local woman? In respect of tradition and religion?
Thank you all so much in advance for your input.
Tom Cat

[This message has been edited by Tom Cat (edited 23 July 2005).]

Posts: 7 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really surprised no one has answered you yet. I think your question is perfectly logical and was presented in a respectful enough manner. Hmmmm? Go figure.

Anyway, the first things I want to know are where you live and how old you are. Once I know that, then I can give more specific information.

My suggestions for increasing your social life are to find expat clubs where you find expats doing activities that you enjoy. Once you have done that, then the friendships will form and you'll have a circle of friends to go out with, have dinner with, etc.

If you are in your 30's or even 40's and looking for foreign females in this age range, don't get discouraged now. The female expats in this age range are generally teachers and they are all out of the country right now. Don't dispair, they will return in late August. You'll find them then out at clubs like After 8, the Jazz Club and some of the expat clubs like the BCA, ACE club, and Cairo Rugby Club.

Now to find out what clubs are available to join so you can start to make friends, get hold of a BCA Chronicle magazine. They have a list of clubs in it. Or I think it's possible that the EGYPT TODAY magazine may list them too, but less likely than BCA.

One club that I belong to and you might like (especially this fall when the teacher types come back) is the Cairo Hash. www.cairohash.com

Again, don't dispair now..... the expat community is small in the summer and those of us that are still here just cling to each other for company. You'd be welcome to come to a Friday Hash though and meet those of us that are stuck here now, then by fall you'd be like a regular.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Cat
Member # 8421

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot Debbie for all your effort

I'm beginning 40's and single male from Europe and live in Maadi

I participated on the HHH in other countries, rugby I never played but will have a look - how big is the risk to brake your bones in that sport...:-)

Posts: 7 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tom and welcome to Cairo.

My advice differs a bit from Debbie's, so I guess you have to pick and chose what suits your personal taste more.

I'm a female foreigner who's been living in Cairo for 2,5 years and I never went to any of the expat clubs. I do have a big circle of friends and acquaintances and they are a mixture of Egyptians and foreigners. These are the clubs I can tell you a bit about:

Cairo Jazzclub - it's in my neighbourhood and used to be my favourite hangout for a while. The audience is very mixed, Egyptians and expats alike, all age groups and, yes, many local girls as well. www.cairojazzclub.com

After Eight - looks like a restaurant but I wouldn't have dinner there because it's terribly loud. They have a band playing almost every night of the week (good music!) and I usually go there if I want to dance. The audience is also mixed but slightly older than at Jazzclub and you'll find more expats here. www.after8egypt.com

White in Zamalek - it's actually a restaurant, very stylish and cool. They started having parties a couple of times a week where you can dance, they are supposed to be good.

High Heels at the Nile Hilton - I personally don't like the place at all and I find the audience very snobbish and annoying but many people - expats and foreigners alike - like it because it's outdoors and has a nice "loungy" decoration.

Latex at the Nile Hilton - When I first came to Cairo and went out dancing a lot I used to go there, back then it was called "Jackie's Joint" and was a really tacky place featuring 80's style music and interior design. It was also known to be a pickup place for many people so when I went there I always made sure I had a group of Egyptians around me for "protection".
Since they changed the name I've only been there once and I didn't like it at all. I think the name is tacky and the atmosphere very cold but I know many people who like it ...

Sequoia / Sultan in Zamalek - a lovely place to have Egyptian food or a beer in a very "buddha-barish" atmosphere directly on the Nile. They changed the place a lot over the past months, the last time I was there they told me that a part of the big outdoor restaurant turns into a nightclub after 10. p.m.; maybe it's worth checking out ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tom why do you want to meet westerners in egypt? i mean they are everywhere around you back home. don't you want to meet the locals?

[This message has been edited by 7aya (edited 24 July 2005).]

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Cat
Member # 8421

Rate Member
Dear Dalia

Thanks a lot for all your input and accurate names. I really appreciate what you have done. Thousand thanks for all your effort.

dear 7aya:
If I can have a relation with a Egyptian woman as you do with a western woman then let me know - I mean to live in sin as you call it here.
I'm not interested in marry somebody before I know her quit well. The ones who come home with you (locals woman) and spend the night with you do not interest me either - even, I can afford them.
Is that fair enough? (that's for having relations)
I socialize with Egyptian , mostly men since their wife stay home and the girlfriend has to be home after sunset unless the parents are with us and they don't like bars.
I make it short, I prefer to stay with my own culture what are relations concerned but, I'm happy with my colleagues and those very few Egyptian I have met so far.
I don't like to offend anybody and I don't change my preferences.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cat:
Dear Dalia

Thanks a lot for all your input and accurate names. I really appreciate what you have done. Thousand thanks for all your effort.

dear 7aya:
If I can have a relation with a Egyptian woman as you do with a western woman then let me know - I mean to live in sin as you call it here.
I'm not interested in marry somebody before I know her quit well. The ones who come home with you (locals woman) and spend the night with you do not interest me either - even, I can afford them.
Is that fair enough? (that's for having relations)
I socialize with Egyptian , mostly men since their wife stay home and the girlfriend has to be home after sunset unless the parents are with us and they don't like bars.
I make it short, I prefer to stay with my own culture what are relations concerned but, I'm happy with my colleagues and those very few Egyptian I have met so far.
I don't like to offend anybody and I don't change my preferences.

oh sorry i thought you are a tourist. it seems you live here. and i'm a woman not a man.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia, You missed where I suggested After 8 and the Jazz Club? How did you do that?

I don't think our suggestions varied that much. I simply suggested ways he might meet friends to go to these places with rather than just going alone. Some people prefer to go with friends.

He can certainly meet friends at all these places.

And Tom.... you don't have to play Rugby to go to the CRC. It is as much a social club as anything else, and I think Tuesday night is the night the girls Rugby team practices, so in theory they go drink at the club after practice. Again, in theory, a good time/place to meet foreign females.

If you have Hashed before, you should give it a go here. It's a good active club.

And as far as meeting more women, the ACE club is the one for you to go to in Maadi. It is at Midan Victory, across the street from Victory field (where they plan American baseball - in Digla). It's in a villa right there on the corner. That is exactly the same place you go to catch a ride to the Hash on Fridays if you do decide to try that some weekend.

Stay in touch....we'll get you a social life soon enough.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Cat
Member # 8421

Rate Member
Thanka a lot Debbie for all your effort and time

Now I have some places to start with

You are great help
Have a nice day
Tom Cat

arealhighlander
Member # 8540

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for arealhighlander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cat:
Dear all
I (western guy) just arrived in Cairo some days ago.Last Thursday the company driver went out with us and made a tour of some clubs and discos but the public was rather disappointing. I know well, that decent local girls are not going to Clubs,neither drink and smoke. Guess men are rather accepted/tolerated to do the sins, despite they are muslims. I'm not here to judge people. I simple want to know in which clubs/pubs go foreign single ladies and western people in general. I have seen so many western people having dinner in restaurants and I'm sure that they go out to clubs to have fun later on. I just didn't find out where.
All recommendation are welcome, specially when you can give me the address and name of the location. I have to build up my social circle since I will stay for a long time here and really like to know where to go. I apologize to the decent and working local female population in case I have offended anybody with my comments above (smoking and drinking). I know there are 20% christians in Egypt.
Can any foreign man give me some input about the experience he made dating a local woman? In respect of tradition and religion?
Tom Cat

[This message has been edited by Tom Cat (edited 23 July 2005).]

Where in Cairo are you living and which oil or service company you working for :-)

Ace Club, Victoria Circle, at the top of Por Said street in Maadi, thats where yo go. The Rugby Club is not busy at all these days.

See you there this weekend ;-)

Posts: 5 | From: Scotland | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkie
Member # 8385

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Cat:
[B]Dear all
I (western guy) just arrived in Cairo some days ago.Last Thursday the company driver went out with us and made a tour of some clubs and discos but the public was rather disappointing.

All recommendation are welcome, specially when you can give me the address and name of the location.

Go vitually anywhere in Zamalek and you will meet foreigners.

Posts: 24 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope
Member # 8567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tom,

Im a single girl here in Cairo and Im having great difficulty in going out on my own as I tend to attract too much attention.

I`ve been here 3 months and there are many places I would like to go, but I really need to be with someone and I would prefer the company of a foreign man.

If you like please email me on hopeandlight13@yahoo.com

Thanks
Hope

Posts: 42 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com