EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » furniture stores in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: furniture stores in Cairo
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there-- I live on the Red Sea but am going to Cairo soon to hunt for some furniture-- any suggestions for interesting furniture stores-- I am somewhat lost in this area so any input would be most appreciated. I am not interested in the heavy bulky furniture I see in many egyptian homes yet I do not want the modern european style either-- so am looking for a mix of old craftsman wood furniture -- something typical of the arab culture-- okay maybe this is too general -- but your input would be appreciated
Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omar Effendi
not sure if it is interesting enough but at least you know where you are with the prices.

If you know exactly what you want then take a picture to the craftsmen in the furniture markets and they are very good at copying. Sorry would be impossible to tell you which one I used..up an alley, round an alleyway bottom on the left!!

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Penny-- it is a start -- I actually live on the Red Sea-- and am having such problems finding a good reliable carpenter to do such work -- that is why I am heading to Cairo as well to see what I find there -- besides looking for a carpenter here.

thanks again --

Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to say so but Omar Effendi has awful furniture, it looks cheap and ugly.

Where on the Red Sea do you live, Susana? I know that El Gouna has lots of furniture stores that carry simple, yet oriental pieces. I can post more info if you're interested.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Suzanna!

Omar Effendi is good for electical goods if you can't face Attaba where you can get the bargains, but to me their furniture doesn't look like it's very good quality or design. There are a wide variety of furniture shops along Abbas Al-Aqqad and Makram Ebeid streets in Nasr City of varying price ranges. People tell me they are expensive, but unless you know a good carpenter that you can trust to do what you want with the quality of workmanship you want, it might be better to pay a little extra and be more confident of what you are getting.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river_0f_l0ve
Member # 8638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river_0f_l0ve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on the cost of the furnture u r going to buy
Posts: 696 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going to Cairo specifically to look for furniture, or were you going for something else, and thought about getting furniture while you're there?

The reason I asked is because if you're specifically looking for furniture, then I would suggest you take a trip up to Damietta. It's where the Furniture stores buy their furniture wholesale.

You can choose what finish you would like from raw wood pieces, and even choose the fabrics in some of the stores, and they will make it for you from another piece you show them. Many newly married Egyptians couples furnish their entire homes from Damietta. And for only a few hundred pounds they will deliver your furniture to you anywhere in Egypt, including the red sea.

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just interested, where is Damietta?.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Just interested, where is Damietta?.

Penny it's about 200 kilometers North of Cairo on the meditteranean Sea in the Delta. Its a port city, where the Nile splits, I can't remember if its the Blue Nile or the White Nile. But its where all the major furniture manufacturers in Egypt are, that export furniture all over the world.

So you get to buy directly from the manufacturers for a fraction of the price of retail. And its good quality solid wood furniture, that will last forever.

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fayek furniture. its french style and one of the best in egypt. its in 49 Horreya street, heliopolis.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks to everyone for thier comments!!!

I just finished a building and need to furnish it -- as economically as I can in the style I would like -- some of the rooms are small which can not fit the normal oversized pieces I see so often -- some pieces I will need to have made but others I will need to purchase -- Dalia -- do you have more info on the stores in El Gouna -- perhaps will stop by there on my way up north --

egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Suzanna,

I had my furniture made by a very good carpenter who displays his products in Carpet City, one of the best furniture places in Egypt. If u have more time in Cairo I can take u 2 him , u see all models and choose the one u like, he will make it 2 u in some days with cheaper prices than the shop.

The other option is IN-OUT Furniture in Carrefour, really nice but high prices.
contact me if u need any help.

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Suzanna:
do you have more info on the stores in El Gouna -- perhaps will stop by there on my way up north --

These are just a few names taken from their website but there are more.

El Dar, ext. 3333
Featuring a collection of wood and iron furniture in a variety of styles as well as accessories and electric appliances.

Idea Co., ext. 2331
Original collections include Old Navy Style, Bamboo, Wrought Iron, Essential and Garden.

Inside Out, ext. 77968
Oriental, Moroccan, Turkish and Indian styles in woodwork, accessories and lighting.

N&B, ext. 2337
From built-in kitchen cupboards and closets to special paint effects and upholstery.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Habiba1:
Penny it's about 200 kilometers North of Cairo on the meditteranean Sea in the Delta. Its a port city, where the Nile splits, I can't remember if its the Blue Nile or the White Nile. But its where all the major furniture manufacturers in Egypt are, that export furniture all over the world.

So you get to buy directly from the manufacturers for a fraction of the price of retail. And its good quality solid wood furniture, that will last forever.

I have heard many people recommending Damietta, but I have also heard that you have to be very careful about the places you go to as the standard of the furniture that is sent isn't always the same as people were expecting.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

I have heard many people recommending Damietta, but I have also heard that you have to be very careful about the places you go to as the standard of the furniture that is sent isn't always the same as people were expecting.

I haven't heard this but there are many places to choose from, and you can also watch them load the furniture on the truck if you get something already finished.

But then again, I just re-read her post, and she doesn't like the heavy furniture, which means she probably wants cheaper woods, as the solid woods will definitely be heavy. I like the French Provincial styles myself, with handcrafted wood designs. I just hate the gold finishes and some of the fabrics I've seen.

Let's just say I paid 7000 LE for some living room furniture that I saw in other stores for 30,000 LE and would have cost more than $10,000 dollars in the US. I mean just one Louis IV chair alone costs $2500 in Macy's furniture store back home. I feel like I found some true bargains here.

Just take your time looking.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com