EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Guys, I know this topic has been written before. But I see there are many here who has some interesting books or want to read an interesting book. so I thought why not open the topic again?

I recommend everyone to read "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho. I even convinced my dad to read it , who the only books he has read in the past 27 years are medical ones. But he really loved it! He even bought the whole collection of paolos books in arabic translation.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonely
Member # 8661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it a romantic or social or political novel, plz give me idea before buying it
Posts: 115 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its mostly fantasy, an inspiring book.
with a message to follow your dream.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
Ok Guys, I know this topic has been written before. But I see there are many here who has some interesting books or want to read an interesting book. so I thought why not open the topic again?

I recommend everyone to read "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho. I even convinced my dad to read it , who the only books he has read in the past 27 years are medical ones. But he really loved it! He even bought the whole collection of paolos books in arabic translation.

Yes, that was a great book! Didn't they, or are they going to make that into a movie???

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its mostly fantasy, an inspiring book.
with a message to follow your dream.

Dream .......ummmmm .... curious abiout yours ........

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the book I'm scanning inside nowdays is very intersting, it's "Ibnul Rumi ; His life from his poetry" by Abbas Mahmoud El Akkad.

I'm looking for a book which hel me about how to tell stories to kids. I'm kind of a person who like to get o the point quickly and children don't like this and when I try to get slow and give detailes I lose the story directions...not sure if there any book that can help with this but I'm gonna stay with those kids soon again and need something helpful.

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
I don't think the book I'm scanning inside nowdays is very intersting, it's "Ibnul Rumi ; His life from his poetry" by Abbas Mahmoud El Akkad.

I'm looking for a book which hel me about how to tell stories to kids. I'm kind of a person who like to get o the point quickly and children don't like this and when I try to get slow and give detailes I lose the story directions...not sure if there any book that can help with this but I'm gonna stay with those kids soon again and need something helpful.

Can’t help with the reading to kids part, but can you tell me more about Abbas El-Akkad? What was his background; is it true he had no formal education, but still ended up as a “great” writer? (Inverted commas as I’m not sure how that is defined regarding him)

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonely
Member # 8661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have an idea, hope it works with you
why dont you buy books for kids that pic occupied more than the half of the page,and you only have to read what is written and play with your voice (crescendo and decrescendo)

+ i will try to check in this week end books that could be helpful for you,and let you know if i find of interest

Good luck, btw, i like staying with kids alot.

quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:

Posts: 115 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
About the Childrens books, what I've noticed they love best, is when you act a long with the story. Like if he is angry make an angry voice, and so further on.
I used to love by H.C Andersen, you can find his stories in every book store.

and there is another idea that you can use. You can make the children make up their own fairytale, Start with that every child has to include to the story one sentence. I mean f.ex if you say Once upon a time, then one of the children has to continue and say "there was a young boy" etc.
I hope you understood what I meant.

[This message has been edited by Serendipity (edited 18 August 2005).]

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Yes, that was a great book! Didn't they, or are they going to make that into a movie???

Really? I didnt know that. If they will make it to a movie, i will be looking forward to seeing it.

But I know that they are making Da Vinci Code into a movie, they will also make "Angels and Demons" into a movie too at least thats what i heard.

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
There is another book that I've read that i thought is one of the best ever. Its in arabic though. and it helps you a lot with dealing with your own problems, and also gives you a wider look on topics that effects your life very often. Its by Mustafa Mahmoud and its called "e3terafat al 3oshaq" its from the time when he was working in the newspapers and ppl sent him letters asking for advice, even though these letters are from the 70's all the problems that is written there are as common as it was back then.
So I hope you will look it up the next time you are at the bookstore.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is another book that I've read that i thought is one of the best ever. Its in arabic though. and it helps you a lot with dealing with your own problems, and also gives you a wider look on topics that effects your life very often. Its by Mustafa Mahmoud and its called "e3terafat al 3oshaq" its from the time when he was working in the newspapers and ppl sent him letters asking for advice, even though these letters are from the 70's all the problems that is written there are as common as it was back then.
So I hope you will look it up the next time you are at the bookstore.

yes and the late abdel wahab metaw3 used to get many letters from readers asking for his advice. he used to publish, three or four, and answer them every friday. then he started collecting them in books. they are amazing, very touching stories. sometimes reality is better than fiction. if you can find any of his books get them

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:

yes and the late abdel wahab metaw3 used to get many letters from readers asking for his advice. he used to publish, three or four, and answer them every friday. then he started collecting them in books. they are amazing, very touching stories. sometimes reality is better than fiction. if you can find any of his books get them

Oh do you know the name of the book, so I can buy it the next time I come to Egypt.
You know i saw lots of his books, but didnt know if he is good. and I had limited my book shopping to 10 books. so either him or paolo, paolo won of course.
hope your doing good.

Bombay1
Member # 5213

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bombay1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had experiance with customs bringing in books I would like to bring quite a lot over to my villa.
R http://www.bombay.luxor4u.com/

Posts: 53 | From: uk/Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and there is another idea that you can use. You can make the children make up their own fairytale, Start with that every child has to include to the story one sentence. I mean f.ex if you say Once upon a time, then one of the children has to continue and say "there was a young boy" etc.

I love that 'chain story' game. I always do it with my students. They usually come up with hilarious ideas.

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u know guys, i have been reading a novel by sandra brown for a whole month and still in chapter 3 LOL...
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com