EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Egypt - Need Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Egypt - Need Help
Aset
Member # 8803

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!

I maybe moving to Egypt in a week since I might be attending the American University in Cairo. My dad is really worried that it is not safe right now, more so for me since I am female. So I wanted to ask those who do live in Egypt how safe it is at the moment (so I can pacify my dad) and is there any advice that you could possibly give me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aset:
Hi all!

I maybe moving to Egypt in a week since I might be attending the American University in Cairo. My dad is really worried that it is not safe right now, more so for me since I am female. So I wanted to ask those who do live in Egypt how safe it is at the moment (so I can pacify my dad) and is there any advice that you could possibly give me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I don't live there, but I'm Western and I've visited, and my fiance's Egyptian and he tells me a lot of stuff about the culture.

There is far, far less street crime in Cairo than most cities in the US (don't know where you're living now, but that's where I am).

Cairenes are extraordinarily friendly and helpful. If you feel lost or in trouble, ask a woman on the street for help, and I believe she'd be very helpful to you.

I would so much rather be lost in Cairo, where I don't speak the language, than in NYC.

The worst thing I think you'll experience is being made to pay more for things like cabs. (see thread on *visiting Egypt* about *typical Egyptian salary*).

I'm sure the school is used to foreigners' concerns and addresses them for you.

If you are American, you can register with the American Embassy so they know you are in the country and where you are residing in the *slight* case there is some sort of emergency.

I think it's wonderful you have an opportunity to study abroad. That's great!

I'm sure people who live in Cairo will respond with better info than I've given you, but IMHO, it's quite safe there.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacia
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aset,
I live in Alex, but there are ALOT of women that are on this site that live in Cairo--just can't remember their usernames. I will keep looking for the names and then hopefully you can contact them for some advice/support.

Posts: 190 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aset,
Hey out there! I'm currently a student at the AUC. I'm international student but Arabic is my first language. Believe me Egypt is very safe country. Maybe some bombs from time to time but it worth your visit.
Guess...what you should consider about (more than safety) is pollution; also, you have to realize that Cairo is not quite clean city. If you're ok with that! Then you're gonna love the atmosphere here!

Anyway, AUC will provide you with convenient facilities. As an international student the university devotes many programs, trips, activities and special classes.
The security of the university is really good (so far!) hummmm...really believe me! Safety is the last thing you are to worry about in Egypt.

Furthermore, the university will give you many tips and all the information that you will need as a non-Egyptian so tell your father to chill out! Nothing to worry about!
You just need a leap of faith! Jus go for it

You're so damn welcome in Egypt

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
Aset,
Hey out there! I'm currently a student at the AUC. I'm international student but Arabic is my first language. Believe me Egypt is very safe country. Maybe some bombs from time to time but it worth your visit.
Guess...what you should consider about (more than safety) is pollution; also, you have to realize that Cairo is not quite clean city. If you're ok with that! Then you're gonna love the atmosphere here!

Anyway, AUC will provide you with convenient facilities. As an international student the university devotes many programs, trips, activities and special classes.
The security of the university is really good (so far!) hummmm...really believe me! Safety is the last thing you are to worry about in Egypt.

Furthermore, the university will give you many tips and all the information that you will need as a non-Egyptian so tell your father to chill out! Nothing to worry about!
You just need a leap of faith! Jus go for it

You're so damn welcome in Egypt

heeeeeeeeeeeeey hunted porcelain i dont know if you remember me. but i just wanted to say how are you? and havent seen you here for quite a long while now!

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aset
Member # 8803

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies they helped alot!

I am originally from Brooklyn, but I live in San Francisco right now. Dad's still putting up some resistance, but he was born and raised in New York and he's Sicilian so he's not likely to give up anytime soon. But hearing that Cairo is safer than most American cities is reassuring. And also knowing that they are alot more friendly and helpful is great too, although, truth be told, it doesn't take that much to be nicer than a New Yorker.

Thanks Again for all of your help! With any luck I'll be in Cairo before Class registration on September 5th.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serendipity awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
So cute, so sweet and so nice! God bless ya! You really made my day brighter..ok my night!

Hey! How are you?!
I know I know...it has been such a long time! I'm in Egypt now eating Kushari and riding metro lol all fun!
You know what!
I've been upset by some replies! You know same old story! How ppl attack you & so on! But eventually I couldn't resist coming back again! When such lovely ppl like you exist in this forum!
Thanx for you're regards! I really appreciate them!
I have some issues here and I'm really excited to hear your advice!
Soon you'll hear from me!

Thanx for everything!

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
Serendipity awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
So cute, so sweet and so nice! God bless ya! You really made my day brighter..ok my night!

Hey! How are you?!
I know I know...it has been such a long time! I'm in Egypt now eating Kushari and riding metro lol all fun!
You know what!
I've been upset by some replies! You know same old story! How ppl attack you & so on! But eventually I couldn't resist coming back again! When such lovely ppl like you exist in this forum!
Thanx for you're regards! I really appreciate them!
I have some issues here and I'm really excited to hear your advice!
Soon you'll hear from me!

Thanx for everything!

Hey hunted porcelain..so good to hear from you again! it has been ages ago!
will be glad if I can help you with something (eventhough i am not good at it).
Welcome back again...or should I say welcome back to the jungle
hope to hear from you soon..
...Serendipity

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linda wissa
Member # 8412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for linda wissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I live in Cairo. I am an American and I am married to an egyptian man. I found the people around here to be very friendly and helpful. I have lived here since December, 2004. I think the only things you have to worry about are being out after midnight (this is a no no for women) and being overcharged for things because you are foreign. If you move to Cairo to attend AUC, let me know and I can answer any questions you may have. My email is linda_william2000@yahoo.com.

quote:
Originally posted by Aset:
Hi all!

Posts: 10 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linda wissa:
I think the only things you have to worry about are being out after midnight (this is a no no for women)

Errr ... why should it be a problem to stay out until after midnight? I do it all the time and so do lots of women I know ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by linda wissa:
[b] I think the only things you have to worry about are being out after midnight (this is a no no for women)

Errr ... why should it be a problem to stay out until after midnight? I do it all the time and so do lots of women I know ... [/B][/QUOTE]

So did I when I was in Egypt. Didnt have a problem with that.

Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trafic in Cairo Egypt 9000 dead last year
Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com