EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » My adventures in cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My adventures in cairo
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've had quite an eventual week, and so i thought id bore you guys with it! see i love cairo, i really think its the most exciting and safe city in the world. honestly, most of the time i walk around cairo without worrying that something wrong will happen. the problem is though, people are becoming so stressed that sometimes fights are just invitable. so anyway i had those two adventures this week.

1. i was getting some work done in bulaq. and we all know whats it like in bulaq. i tried my best to wear respectable clothes long baggy skirt, and a buttoned shirt up to my neck, and covering all my arms. anyway the entire time i'm there loosers are catcalling, whisteling, and constantly asking me what i'm doing. but elhamdullelah i manage to finish my work without any incidents. finally after i'm done, i start walking to my car. at that point a guy who looked like a baltagy, wearing a sleevless dirty black shirt, sweaty and filthy pushing a cart starts walking next to me. he says look i dont want to harrass you, but what time is it? so i tell him its two. and continue walking fast, looking straight ahead. so he keeps walking next to me and talking while i nod my head politely. wrong move, people like him should be ignored. so anyway i finally get to my car, take my keys out, open the door, get in, and then i try to close the door but he holds it (he has alot of muscles and is way stronger than i am) and wouldnt let me close the door. so i tell him let go of the door! and he says no 3ayez at3araf which means i want to get to know you (yeah right, when i get attracted to smelly filthy loosers ill give you a call) so again i tell him no let go of the door, and he says no i want to get to know you.
at that moment i get really angry and swear at him. as soon as i do, he gets this crazy look in his eyes, seriously he looked like a maniac and tells me what did you just call me??? and he starts getting near me like he's going to attack. so i start screaming and i push the door open and get out. and he says again, what did you just call me? and starts getting close to me again like he's going to attack. i push him away again, start yelling at him. finally a couple passing by look at us, and say, hey guys quit it! quit it??? i mean seriously you say that to two people who are fighting, but we weren't fighting, he was ATTACKING me. i mean he's an idiot he was just trying to intimidate me, he wasn't going to do anything more, but still!
anyway at that moment the guy starts laughing and walking away! just like that!!!

2. i was going to get some fuel in my car. so i stop in one of those stations that have the "on the run" supermarkets. anyway it seems some guy left the car to be filled, and went in to get something from the supermarket. ofcourse this caused a serious case of overcrowding, because his car was just there, blocking the way! so anyway one of the station workers waves for me to come and stand behind him. he instructed me to wait until the guy comes back. so i told him ok, and i wait. all of a sudden a woman comes from the other direction (the wrong direction) and ofcourse because the guy is blocking the way, its difficult for her to pass through. so the guy asks me to move my car, to let her pass and i do. so as she passes my car, she opens her window and in a very agressive way tells me "why don't you learn how to drive!!!' now that really pisses me off because firstly, she was coming the wrong way, and secondly the only reason i was standing there is because the station worker told me to. so anyway she passes and goes to another lane, and probably she forgot about me. now usually fights like that erupt between drivers in cairo, and nothing happens. i mean you roll your window down and yell and leave and thats that. but i'm so angry i just wanted to tell her. she (the girl who was driving)is in her 20s and veield, and an old veiled woman was in the passenger seat. and there were two not veieled girls in the back both in their 20s.
so anyway i get out of my car, and walk to her window. you can't believe the shock that registered on her face when she saw me! i wish i took a picture, it was priceless! she probably thought that as usual i will let it go. anyway i walk to her and say "a3mali bas be7gabek" its difficult to explain but it means respect your veil, and i walk back to my car. and she gets really pissed, i can see it in her eyes. and she looks at me, and starts screaming back again telling me to learn how to drive. so again i turn back and say the same thing "a3maili bas ba7gabek." then i go back to my car and forget about the incident. i fuelled the car, and as i was paying the guy, the woman drives up right next to my car, and the backseat window opens, and the girl in the back starts screaming at me calling me the worst swearing names we have in the entire arabic language! among other things, she kept saying that i'm a whore and that all alexandrians are whores (my car plate says alexandria). i was shocked but i kept just looking at her quietly, so as not to show her that she provoked me. one of the station workers asked her to stop, and another kept telling me not to answer. and i didn't. but i was pretty shaken up!

the point is as i said i love cairo. but lately i'm noticing that people are becoming so hot blooded, you can't just go out and relax, you have to have some form of confrontation or another which is quiet annoying. anyone has interesting experiences? in cairo or any other city?

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya habibti ya 7aya. I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I really have no idea why people act like that towards each other, while they mostly become angles when someone needs help (or has that also become history?)..

So here's one of mine: It happened about 10 years ago but I'll never forget it. It was early in the morning and I was bringing my 10-year-younger sister (who's very very sweet & delicate unlike her evil big sis ) to her school by car. We had just left the house and the weather was so beautiful & fresh, and I was so relaxed behind the wheel of my father's huge Mercedes telling my sister jokes 'n stuff.

We were driving in Baghdad street in Korba, when all of a sudden some maniac came out from a side street cutting our way with his car. My heart almost stopped trying to avoid landing with my front into his side. All I could think of was that I didn't want my sister to land on his lap!

Anyway, God saved the queen and we did not land into anything but still made a dramatic stop with a very loud squeak of the breaks.

That maniac didn't even take a glance in the mirror to see what might have happened, and just drove away..

Behind me there was a little Fiat127 car that of course had to stop because of me with a distance of less than half a meter I would say.. In it there was another "man", who, of course, stuck his head out and called me "hmara, cannot drive, etc.."

I was so angry cos it was just so unfair from the two of them to spoil my day, but I just never swore back at people in traffic, at least in the presence of my sister, so I didn't reply..

In my fit of anger, I put the gear on first and stepped with all my power on the gas. And VOOOOM, the car jumped...... BACKWARDS...

MY GOD, MY FATHER'S CAR'S GEAR IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND FROM WHAT I'M USED TO IN MY CAR..

Needles to say, I landed with all the weight of my holy cow on the poor guy's Fiat..

Against all the laws of physics, whilst his car instantly had become to resemble a flower (!), mine did not have a scratch
(Mercedes Mercedes ueber alles!).

What had happened next was really like a nightmare. In a second the guy with the smashed car jumped out of his car and was heading towards me. He held the handle of my door and I could see the devil in his eyes. I was so scared of him especially that my sister was mortified and I felt so protective of her. So I just drove off, maximum speed! Guess what, the idiot wouldn't let go of my car. So I had him hanging on my car for a couple of seconds before he slipped and fell on his face in the middle of the street. My sister was wailing..

As I raced away from the scene of the crime, I looked in the mirror to see him lying there like he was playing "Return of the Mummy", trying to raise his arm asking for help..

I dropped my mortified sis at her school and raced back home and cried all day..

Ten years later, only this summer, my sister suddenly said to me: "..You shouldn't have smashed that guy's car. You should have forgiven him"..

"Oh my God, all this time you thought I did that intentionally?" I said..

"I Just cannot drive"..............

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari,
Oh my God!!!
Oh my God!!!
I'm speachless!! If I were you...I would be dead by now! Thanx 4 sharing the story!
Today I heard a stupid comment which ruined my weekend so far! But now after I read your story! 7.aaaaaaaaaalas, I' so happy with my life!

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianbeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Ya habibti ya 7aya. I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I really have no idea why people act like that towards each other, while they mostly become angles when someone needs help (or has that also become history?)..

So here's one of mine: It happened about 10 years ago but I'll never forget it. It was early in the morning and I was bringing my 10-year-younger sister (who's very very sweet & delicate unlike her evil big sis ) to her school by car. We had just left the house and the weather was so beautiful & fresh, and I was so relaxed behind the wheel of my father's huge Mercedes telling my sister jokes 'n stuff.

We were driving in Baghdad street in Korba, when all of a sudden some maniac came out from a side street cutting our way with his car. My heart almost stopped trying to avoid landing with my front into his side. All I could think of was that I didn't want my sister to land on his lap!

Anyway, God saved the queen and we did not land into anything but still made a dramatic stop with a very loud squeak of the breaks.

That maniac didn't even take a glance in the mirror to see what might have happened, and just drove away..

Behind me there was a little Fiat127 car that of course had to stop because of me with a distance of less than half a meter I would say.. In it there was another "man", who, of course, stuck his head out and called me "hmara, cannot drive, etc.."

I was so angry cos it was just so unfair from the two of them to spoil my day, but I just never swore back at people in traffic, at least in the presence of my sister, so I didn't reply..

In my fit of anger, I put the gear on first and stepped with all my power on the gas. And VOOOOM, the car jumped...... BACKWARDS...

MY GOD, MY FATHER'S CAR'S GEAR IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND FROM WHAT I'M USED TO IN MY CAR..

Needles to say, I landed with all the weight of my holy cow on the poor guy's Fiat..

Against all the laws of physics, whilst his car instantly had become to resemble a flower (!), mine did not have a scratch
(Mercedes Mercedes ueber alles!).

What had happened next was really like a nightmare. In a second the guy with the smashed car jumped out of his car and was heading towards me. He held the handle of my door and I could see the devil in his eyes. I was so scared of him especially that my sister was mortified and I felt so protective of her. So I just drove off, maximum speed! Guess what, the idiot wouldn't let go of my car. So I had him hanging on my car for a couple of seconds before he slipped and fell on his face in the middle of the street. My sister was wailing..

As I raced away from the scene of the crime, I looked in the mirror to see him lying there like he was playing "Return of the Mummy", trying to raise his arm asking for help..

I dropped my mortified sis at her school and raced back home and cried all day..

Ten years later, only this summer, my sister suddenly said to me: "..You shouldn't have smashed that guy's car. You should have forgiven him"..

"Oh my God, all this time you thought I did that intentionally?" I said..

"I Just cannot drive"..............

i rarely laugh out loud but when you described this man in the road lifting his arm for help i imagined dust and smoke around him and you with your foot on the gas so fast !! LOL

Posts: 166 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my god mykingdom, i can't believe this! you must have been really shaken up. too bad your baby sister was there, and you couldn't give that guy a piece of your mind!
but see what bothers me in cairo, is that not matter how you just want to mind your own business, one way or another you are going to end in a fight! i mean after i got home tonight, i thought why didnt i just let it go? why did i have to get out of my car and talk to the woman. but i think it would have bothered me even more if i didn't. and the fact that she drove back to call me a whore, as much as it shook me up, shows that i made an impact, which means that next time she will think twice before attacking someone.
ok this is another one of the really bad incidents. but elhamdullelah it didn't happen to me. a friend of mine, was on her way to work early in the morning. her friend, who worked in the same company picked her up and was driving. anyway while they are on their way, something happens with another car driven by a guy, i think they overtook him or something. anyway they got to a traffic light and stopped the car. meanwhile that guy got out of the car, and knocked on the girl's (the one who was driving) window. poor girl, she thought the worst hell do is shout or swear, but no the guy started punching her! and he was wearing a ring that scratched her face. my friend who was sitting next to her told me that the poor girl's face had so many wounds the blood was splattered in the car, and on both of their clothes. and not just that. he then opened the door, dragged her out and continued kicking her! oh and it was in a eshara, and no one did anything! after he was done, he got back in the car, and just left.
the poor girl was such a mess she needed plastic surgery to fix her face! luckily some eyewitness got the guys car number and she filed a complaint at the police. they found the guy, and he called her, and cried to her on the phone to drop the charges! now i don't know if she did or not, because my friend who was telling me the story left to dubai. so i'm not sure what happened i hope she didn't drop the charges

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eaasalam
Member # 8648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eaasalam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

LLLOOOOLLL LLLOOOOLLLL LLLOOOOLLLL

LLLLOOOOLLLLLL LLLLOOOOOLLLLL

RRRRRROOOOOFFFFFLLLLLL

My goodness you just made my day! Tjsi si way too much fun!!!!

[/B]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those incidents are really quite scary 7aya, kind of makes me worry about coming back there.. i dont know how i would handle such a situation.

So what can someone do if they are confronted by someone so aggressively like that, can you count on the street police/soldiers to help you? From my experience they are the worst at harassing woman?

I have one incident i can share - i remember from when i was there in 2003, i saw a man on a motorbike came around the corner and hit a boy crossing the road (luckily the boy was not really injured just some scrapes on his hands and legs).. the people on the street shouted at him to watch where he was going, he said something rude back and everyone started shouting the man couldn't drive away because the mob was in front of him and started closing in.. one of them pushed him, he got scared and started to run but the mob followed him screaming and shouting and one of them grabbed him and hit his head into the side of the police hut (i dont know what they are called) only then did the police/soldiers on the street come to restore some order. The man looked in worse shape than the boy he hit.

Incidents like that seem in contrast to the way my grandmother is treated for example. While young girls are harassed and there seems to be this violent tendency waiting to erupt, if you see egypt through my grandmothers eyes people are much kinder, much more respectful and helpful to women (as long as they are not young it seems). She is quite an old little woman and i find that nobody is aggressive, rude or violent towards her - strangers are always more than willing to help her if she needs it and will go out of their way to do so - so i realise that there is also a kinder more compassionate side.

[This message has been edited by Leila (edited 08 September 2005).]

Posts: 201 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Porcelain, Egyptianbeast & 7aya, what would you have done if you were in my shoes then?
He would have smashed my face like the one in the other story.. I guess..

I mean I made a mistake and I'm sorry, but I really wanted to go forward

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Leila:
Those incidents are really quite scary 7aya, kind of makes me worry about coming back there.. i dont know how i would handle such a situation.

So what can someone do if they are confronted by someone so aggressively like that, can you count on the street police/soldiers to help you? From my experience they are the worst at harassing woman?

I have one incident i can share - i remember from when i was there in 2003, i saw a man on a motorbike came around the corner and hit a boy crossing the road (luckily the boy was not really injured just some scrapes on his hands and legs).. the people on the street shouted at him to watch where he was going, he said something rude back and everyone started shouting the man couldn't drive away because the mob was in front of him and started closing in.. one of them pushed him, he got scared and started to run but the mob followed him screaming and shouting and one of them grabbed him and hit his head into the side of the police hut (i dont know what they are called) only then did the police/soldiers on the street come to restore some order. The man looked in worse shape than the boy he hit.

Incidents like that seem in contrast to the way my grandmother is treated for example. While young girls are harassed and there seems to be this violent tendency waiting to erupt, if you see egypt through my grandmothers eyes people are much kinder, much more respectful and helpful to women (as long as they are not young it seems). She is quite an old little woman and i find that nobody is aggressive, rude or violent towards her - strangers are always more than willing to help her if she needs it and will go out of their way to do so - so i realise that there is also a kinder more compassionate side.

[This message has been edited by Leila (edited 08 September 2005).]

hey leila, how are you? as i said cairo is very safe, and these incidents are rare. if i opened a thread about any other country, you would also see many bizarre stories. so please don't get scared. plus both of those incidents are in a way my fault, i shouldn't have talked to that guy who was so obviously a psycho, and i shouldnt have confronted that crazy woman in the car. i should have just let it go.
plus people are still kind and helpful. my car just died in the middle of the road the other day, and i can't tell you how many people offered to help. also i remember when i was in uni, i was crossing from campus to campus, and slipped going face down to the floor. and again i can't tell you what the people did. they helped me up, walked me to a doctor, and didn't leave until i was fine. i have hundreds of such good stories, way more than i have of bad ones.

best

mooneal
Member # 8782

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mooneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7aya, I keep reading ur posts and find it very appealing to me...I agree that there are more positive incidents where ppl unify with each other and offer us help than the nightmare ones...It also concerns me.
Anyway, reading how u deal with it gives me kind of retrospection...Thanks for it.

Posts: 810 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member

[This message has been edited by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari (edited 09 September 2005).]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
as i said cairo is very safe, and these incidents are rare.

7aya.. What's your defintion of safety? I guess a city where my chances to get involved in a traffic accident or a physical fight are approaching the 100% every time I go out should be considered NOT SAFE..

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
7aya.. What's your defintion of safety? I guess a city where my chances to get involved in a traffic accident or a physical fight are approaching the 100% every time I go out should be considered NOT SAFE..

hey mykingdom, to answer your first question, yes i think what you did was right. if you had started shouting and screaming at that man he might have attacked you. so you were wise to just let it go and leave. but my problem is i just can't let go, and this is why i get into so much trouble in cairo, people are always telling me enti mesh hatghayari el balad, but sometimes i get so pissed i just feel like i need to express myself.

but a person has to be smart, and assess the situation, and in your case, you were alone, with your baby sister, early in the morning and the streets were probably empty. plus that guy was probably much larger and stronger than you. so yes you made the right decision.

as for your second question. well cairo is very unsafe in terms of traffic and such. but it is very safe in terms of being attacked, raped, or mugged. these things do happen ofcourse, but the statistics are very low if compared to other countries. but i really believe that in the next few years we will see a rise in crime rates due to the economic, and social problems

best

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
..but it is very safe in terms of being attacked, raped, or mugged. these things do happen ofcourse, but the statistics are very low if compared to other countries. but i really believe that in the next few years we will see a rise in crime rates due to the economic, and social problems

best

Thanks for your reply 7aya.
About crime rates, my mother claims that the rates of rape have gone sky-high in Egypt lately, is this true? (My mom loves to exaggerate most of the time, so I just wanted to check on this one from another source!)

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Thanks for your reply 7aya.
About crime rates, my mother claims that the rates of rape have gone sky-high in Egypt lately, is this true? (My mom loves to exaggerate most of the time, so I just wanted to check on this one from another source!)

the last time i heard it was 23 rapes per day, which is alot if you compare it to zaman! not sure if that number is still accurate or not

best

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
the last time i heard it was 23 rapes per day

Ya nhar eswid! 23 per day?

What the hell has happened to the Egyptians?

I'm curious if there are any official numbers about FGM (i.e. female circumcision)

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
the united nations figures are 97%, but i doubt that i think its much less. check out this article
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/639/fe2.htm

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
the united nations figures are 97%, but i doubt that i think its much less.

Yes I'm breaking my head over this puzzle. I wonder why their figures are so high when I personally do not know one circumcised woman in my social circle.

Do you know where I can find the CNN controversial footage of the little girl's circumcision? I have to give a lecture about FGM in 10 days and it would be "nice"
to show that one.

[This message has been edited by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari (edited 10 September 2005).]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes I'm breaking my head over this puzzle. I wonder why their figures are so high when I personally do not know one circumcised woman in my social circle.

Do you know where I can find the CNN controversial footage of the little girl's circumcision? I have to give a lecture about FGM in 10 days and it would be "nice"
to show that one.

[This message has been edited by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari (edited 10 September 2005).]

Possibly because the 'elite' in Egypt compose 1%?

I don't see many Egyptian women relocating to the west unless they come from the top 1%.

The Egyptian women in the Midwest here, even if they are born here have a cliteraldectomy, of some sort of pursuation or severity. They know even if they are born in the USA their chances of getting married without something done to their nether-regions is null.

Somehow that doesn't apply to any other Arab-Muslim group. Only the Somalis here have a demand for it besides Egyptians.
Most Muslims don't do FGM in the USA.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 10 September 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
The Egyptian women in the Midwest here, even if they are born here have a cliteraldectomy, of some sort of pursuation or severity. They know even if they are born in the USA their chances of getting married without something done to their nether-regions is null.

wow Son this I never knew. What's your reference to that?

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
wow Son this I never knew. What's your reference to that?

It was in the local newspapers a few times. A Somali man who was once a practioner of this sort in Mogideshu was caught doing infibulations when two Somali sisters died from the procedure in Minnesota.

He was going up to Canada to do cliteraldectomies and infibulations as well.

Plus prenatal doctors (gynocologists) have had to do reconstructive surgeries on some women before they could give birth.

I had a 6 month war with my husband on this subject and he said that some sort of FGM (not his words for it) had to be done or she would never be able to get married to a Egyptian Muslim man.

I spoke with a few classmates who are Muslim (Somali and Syrian) and two different patterns emmerged. The Syrian classmate was really insulting about it and said only Egyptians and Somalis do it.

Anyhow Minnesota has passed laws against it to close the loopholes the federal law had. The Somali 'barber' recieved 6 years in prison and Canada wants him to stand trial and serve a prison term when we are done with him.

Its common, it still happens.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Persik
Member # 8917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Persik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you are talking about is horrifying. Why whould man want to do it to woman? What difference will FGM make to him? What is the benefit for a man to have sex with woman which is hardly feeling anything?

This part of egyptian traditions is really difficult to be understood.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Persik:
What you are talking about is horrifying.
Why whould man want to do it to woman? What difference will FGM make to him?
What is the benefit for a man to have sex with woman which is hardly feeling anything?

This part of egyptian traditions is really difficult to be understood.

Persik, your questions have been asked for the 8000 years this practice has been applied on millions of helpless young women (so this is older than any religion for those who claim it's Islamic). The complications of such practice haunt the victim's life from the moment she undergoes it till the moment she dies. I don't know how much you know about how it's done and why (every community expresses a different set of reasons for why FGM is applied withing their group).
Among other non-sense, they say:
- a woman who gets no pleasure of sex will never be seeking it (!) so she would be always faithful to her husband who may be often away from the house;
- it's hygienic to circumcise women;
- if you won't do it, the clitoris will grow to resemble a penis;
- a woman who longs for sex and asks for it or enjoys it is a whore and our daughter is "bent naas"
- no one would want to marry her if she isn't circumcised..
- no particular reason other than that everybody else does it, so why would we do it differently..

Persik, this is just a group hysteria that resembles the times of chastity belts in Europe..

the_crow
Member # 4766

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the_crow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I luv most of Egyptian traditions but one topic I hate how traditions dealt with it wwas women sexuality.

As for the explanaitions, this is what I think about them:

- a woman who gets no pleasure of sex will never be seeking it (!) so she would be always faithful to her husband who may be often away from the house;
Contrary to that she will look for another man who fullfils her, maybe it is the husband problem that she is not fullfiled she just doesn't know.

Nonsense, can't relate it.

The guy who said this must have a relatively small d*ck

- a woman who longs for sex and asks for it or enjoys it is a whore and our daughter is "bent naas"
Contrary to that, a woman who asks for sex and longs for it is an interesting woman and a woman who fullfils the man desire in feeling desired by his mate so it is not sex from one side only (which feels like masturbation).

I think lots of guys now will thinkl twice before marrying a circumsised woman, it simply means the pleasure of sex will fall to the ground.

- no particular reason other than that everybody else does it, so why would we do it differently..
Ddaaah!!!!!! nonsense again but typical to Egyptians who r always afraid to change.

quote:
Persik, your questions have been asked for the 8000 years this practice has been applied on millions of helpless young women (so this is older than any religion for those who claim it's Islamic). The complications of such practice haunt the victim's life from the moment she undergoes it till the moment she dies. I don't know how much you know about how it's done and why (every community expresses a different set of reasons for why FGM is applied withing their group).
Among other non-sense, they say:

Persik, this is just a group hysteria that resembles the times of chastity belts in Europe..

Posts: 50 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the_crow:
Ddaaah!!!!!! nonsense again but typical to Egyptians who r always afraid to change.

Crow, are you Egyptian? How old are you? I am curious to know if the young generations of Egypt have a different attitude about FGM. Have you ever heard of this problem being discussed in public?

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
CROW?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com