EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The Destruction of Egyptian Minds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Destruction of Egyptian Minds
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is not a topic that would interest many people. But i believe its important. A couple of weeks ago i was reading an article by ahmed mansour called "the destruction of egyptian minds." He was talking about how everyone in Egypt who has brains, is thought of as a threat and thus ignoreD or put aside. He gave an example about an Egyptian architect called Mustafa Moussa. Following the Algerian independence, the Algerian president wanted him to rebuild Algeria, however Abdel Nasser refused because he was part of the Wafd opposition party. There was also a famous law proffesor called Tawfeeq El Shawy who the Algerian president wanted to help in the formation of the Algerian consistution. But again Abdel Nasser refused because he was close to the muslim brothers.
He also gave more current examples. Farouk El Baz, a genuis NASA space seientist, had provided the government with a project to build el daf el gharby in Egypt, but was again rejected. Also, Ahmed Zewail had attempted to open a research center in EGYPT but was turned away
The point is, this government is thriving off people's ignorance. Its in its wellfare that the country remains poor and the people continue to struggle. Thats why anyone who has a brain is turned away. Even some Egyptians on this forum like my kingdom, and ngeg were turneed away and had to leave to another country to be appreciated.
But what can we do about this vicious circle? Is there a way to stop it? We do not neccesarily need to continue in this downward spiral. There are many smart Egyptians with plans that cut turn Egypt's future around, boost its economy, and make it what it should be. But these people are either marginalized by the government, or are so depressed they choose to leave. So what is the solution? What will happen when all the brains leave Egypt? and How can we turn this around? There must be a way!!!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting to me 7aya, but I personally don't have anything to contribute since I'm not Egyptian and haven't spent enough time there. But I look forward to what others will write.....

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
I know this is not a topic that would interest many people. But i believe its important. A couple of weeks ago i was reading an article by ahmed mansour called "the destruction of egyptian minds." He was talking about how everyone in Egypt who has brains, is thought of as a threat and thus ignoreD or put aside. He gave an example about an Egyptian architect called Mustafa Moussa. Following the Algerian independence, the Algerian president wanted him to rebuild Algeria, however Abdel Nasser refused because he was part of the Wafd opposition party. There was also a famous law proffesor called Tawfeeq El Shawy who the Algerian president wanted to help in the formation of the Algerian consistution. But again Abdel Nasser refused because he was close to the muslim brothers.
He also gave more current examples. Farouk El Baz, a genuis NASA space seientist, had provided the government with a project to build el daf el gharby in Egypt, but was again rejected. Also, Ahmed Zewail had attempted to open a research center in EGYPT but was turned away
The point is, this government is thriving off people's ignorance. Its in its wellfare that the country remains poor and the people continue to struggle. Thats why anyone who has a brain is turned away. Even some Egyptians on this forum like my kingdom, and ngeg were turneed away and had to leave to another country to be appreciated.
But what can we do about this vicious circle? Is there a way to stop it? We do not neccesarily need to continue in this downward spiral. There are many smart Egyptians with plans that cut turn Egypt's future around, boost its economy, and make it what it should be. But these people are either marginalized by the government, or are so depressed they choose to leave. So what is the solution? What will happen when all the brains leave Egypt? and How can we turn this around? There must be a way!!!

I think all governments can thrive off of citizens' ignorance, look at the super power of the world.

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odiab84
Member # 8455

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for odiab84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

it's a really interesting topic..you've touched a chord here..

I've succeeded recently to free myself from loving Egypt and taking care of it and wishing it a better future and so on. I know a lot of people will not really like what I am saying but believe me I am not the one who should be blamed..now I feel much better being a cosmopolitan person and I have some foreign friends who criticise Egypt a lot..so instead of going all crazy I just join them and make fun of the country and the people with them because I now can see that they are right in most of the things they say about Egypt

Posts: 149 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by odiab84:
it's a really interesting topic..you've touched a chord here..

I've succeeded recently to free myself from loving Egypt and taking care of it and wishing it a better future and so on. I know a lot of people will not really like what I am saying but believe me I am not the one who should be blamed..now I feel much better being a cosmopolitan person and I have some foreign friends who criticise Egypt a lot..so instead of going all crazy I just join them and make fun of the country and the people with them because I now can see that they are right in most of the things they say about Egypt

but i did not open this thread to talk about egypt's glories, or to deny the existence of its problems. i'm not talking about weather its right to make fun of the country or not.
im trying to say that its the government's policy to keep people this way, and destroy all those who have the brains to make a change. thus these people are depressed and leave. and i just want to discuss with people what they think about this policy, and if there is some way to change it.

ps. i hope your friends enjoy it too when you make fun of their respective countries

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
braveheart
Member # 8783

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for braveheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have brought up a very interesting and true topic. From what i know nd understand is that the way a dictatorship runs and operates is that the first duty of a man or persons when in power is to stay in power. revolutions and uprisings are rarely started by the uneducated masses but rather by the intellectuals of the country who have seen the oppression and somehow find the ways and means for the people to channel thier anger. In dictatorships the object is to keep the people simple and and all intellectuals who do not toe the party line are regarded as potential threats. If a government is to be uprooted and replaced it needs new people of learning to take its place but if these people are exiled and sidelined in theory it ( the government of the day) can stay in power indefinetly.
its just my theory and idea and i could be wrong maybe someone else has a better idea.

Posts: 39 | From: United Kindom | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by braveheart:
I think you have brought up a very interesting and true topic. From what i know nd understand is that the way a dictatorship runs and operates is that the first duty of a man or persons when in power is to stay in power. revolutions and uprisings are rarely started by the uneducated masses but rather by the intellectuals of the country who have seen the oppression and somehow find the ways and means for the people to channel thier anger. In dictatorships the object is to keep the people simple and and all intellectuals who do not toe the party line are regarded as potential threats. If a government is to be uprooted and replaced it needs new people of learning to take its place but if these people are exiled and sidelined in theory it ( the government of the day) can stay in power indefinetly.
its just my theory and idea and i could be wrong maybe someone else has a better idea.

but see i agree with you, because this is my theory too! i really believe that!
you know i did not believe mubarak's electrol promises. not because i think he is stupid, or an idiot etc. but its simply because it would be a threat to him. if people are happier, they will start thinking about democracy, and overthrow him.
but the thing is who give them the right to destroy egypt? how can a handful of people wipe away everything good just because they want to stay in power.
lets use the example of farouk hosny. he has been the minister of culture for 18 years. during his time in the office, the movie buesiness has gone down, we no longer have good singers, or authors, our monuments are being stolen or destroyed. but he stays on, because he is mubarak's man. do you understand the gravity of this? this man is destroying our country's heritatge, i repeat our COUNTRY'S HERITAAGE, just because he is mubarak's man???

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but see i agree with you, because this is my theory too! i really believe that!
you know i did not believe mubarak's electrol promises. not because i think he is stupid, or an idiot etc. but its simply because it would be a threat to him. if people are happier, they will start thinking about democracy, and overthrow him.
but the thing is who give them the right to destroy egypt? how can a handful of people wipe away everything good just because they want to stay in power.
lets use the example of farouk hosny. he has been the minister of culture for 18 years. during his time in the office, the movie buesiness has gone down, we no longer have good singers, or authors, our monuments are being stolen or destroyed. but he stays on, because he is mubarak's man. do you understand the gravity of this? this man is destroying our country's heritatge, i repeat our COUNTRY'S HERITAAGE, just because he is mubarak's man???

things will always be that way until the people themselves decide to make the changes. Governments themselves know (even the most extreme and oppressive ones) that it is the people directly who can bring their downfall.

I think wanting democracy (if that really exists, ahem, I mean comeon even America isn't a true democracy) can come from being oppressed.

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:
things will always be that way until the people themselves decide to make the changes. Governments themselves know (even the most extreme and oppressive ones) that it is the people directly who can bring their downfall.

I think wanting democracy (if that really exists, ahem, I mean comeon even America isn't a true democracy) can come from being oppressed.

you are right ofcourse, in islam we believe that if we see something wrong, we should change it with our hands, but if we can't then with our words, and if we still can't then with our heart.

i think here in egypt, we havent even reached the heart level!!!!

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

in islam we believe that

7aya, i quote this sentence only to make a point: it's not always me - as i'm usually accused - who brings islam into every discussion, everybody does that whether or not relevent, whatever the topic is islam is always there (and hopefully it always will although i'm against linking every little detail of our life with it).
but the funny thing is, you only want to mention islam in each and every subject in such a way that it should always be praised, you can not tolerate any criticism or opposistion, and that's not democratic at all.

so before we all start babbling enthusiastically about democracy and before we start expressing how awful it is this dictatorship in egypt etc, i think we should practice what we preach a bit, try to accept the other opinion, we don't have to believe it or believe in it, just leave room for some diversity, a little opposition maybe, lest islam be linked with dictatorship in turn!

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:

you are right ofcourse, in islam we believe that if we see something wrong, we should change it with our hands, but if we can't then with our words, and if we still can't then with our heart.

i think here in egypt, we havent even reached the heart level!!!!

I have to be careful in what I say here, but from an Islamic point of view, from what I have heard about Egypt and the state of affairs there, how it is seeming more and more as NOT an Islamic country, I would take matters into my own hands, if I was an Egyptian.

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where were we? yeah, the destruction of the Egyptian mind.
i believe the destruction of the egyptian mind started far earlier than that, but as for modern times the destruction definitely started with nasser who messed up everything but most importantly the education system and the political life.
the implementation of the pseudo free education marked the begining of the deterioration of the education system in egypt. some of us are unaware that the right of primary education was granted to egyptians long before nasser, and the first egyptian figure to fight for free education was Dr Taha Hussein.
free primary education is a must for every human being no doubt, but higher education is a totally different story.
when you are deciding on a plan to build a country you do not do it haphazardly or go for unplanned decision only to set people's emotions on fire like nasser did with higher eduacation. higher education is not an inherent right for all citizens as nasser claimed, rather it should be earned by deserving students who struggle and strive for it.
but to have hundreds of thousands of almost illiterate university graduates is a great sin against education and against the very patriotism that nasser always bragged about.
it's a sad end and a desperate situation that we've reached and it just proves how random and stupid nasser's policy was.

and that was phase one of the destruction of the egyptian mind!

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
like I said, I have to be really careful about this, I know the basics of the history but nothing in depth and I would hate to speak too much about something I'm not wholly familiar with. If I had to take a stab at it (a guess), I would say the destruction came from the Arab countries being divided and has rippled from there.

But again, I don't know for sure~

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 28 September 2005).]

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
from what I have heard about Egypt and the state of affairs there, how it is seeming more and more as NOT an Islamic country, I would take matters into my own hands, if I was an Egyptian.
taking matters in one's hands is a pretty ambiguious and dangerous concept.
the hadeeth mentioned by 7aya is unfortunately interpreted in many different ways by different people, each according to their desires.
some take it as an open invitation to put our little islamic nose into other peoples affairs, meaning for instance: you believe that unveiled women are not islamic, you decide this is 7aram, your mind is set on changing it, if you are the husband or the father and can change that by hand (as mentioned in the 7adeeth as first choice) you force the woman to wear higab, or even niqab (each according to his own desire). if you don't have such authority over the unveiled woman and you were just a friend or relative, you do not rest untill you gave her hell, you keep on pushing and pressing every possible and impossible way all night and day to make her stop the sin of "sofoor" and wear higab, you don't care if it bothers her or hurts her feelings, you just keep on giving her a daily guilt trip until she succombs to your endless persistence and puts the damn thing on.
in case you are a total stranger and can not use option number two (change by tongue), you resort to option number 3 (change by heart) which means you keep in your heart the feeling of resentment to that unveiled woman which definitely shows as disgusted looks when you look at her either accidentally or intentionally, you make her wish she was never born and would rather die, so she finally wears higab to get rid of the angry looks of society, and this third and final step is the weakest of the faith according to the 7adeeth (the least you could do).

this would be the attitude of the moderates among muslims, milder muslims who hold good and honest intentions like you noor and 7aya here would think of it differently, they would consider this "something wrong" in the 7adeeth is definitely referring to wrong deeds in society like lying or stealing or taking bribe or not doing one's job properly etc, they would go about using the three mentioned methods accordingly.

but some other people would take the same 7adeeth just a little step further, like terrorists. and the interpretation of change by hand for them would be killing and maiming, kidnapping and slaughtering etc, also like semi terrorist - who are not a few - and whose interpretation of "by tongue" would be advocating and propagating hate culture and violence acceptance to others through for instance: chain emails, casual chats around mosques and even in social gatherings, etc.
the third category of mini-terrorists practice the third option of change by heart by sitting around silently listening to their semi-terrorists friends telling the glory of the terrorists and they don't say a word to condemn it. they shake their heads in pathetic acceptance when they hear false fabricated stories which perpetuate evil, paranoia and chauvenism without questioning or objecting.

so you see, the same 7adeeth can have so many interpretations for different people, each according to their desires, needs and back grounds. and this ambiguity is pretty dangerous IMO.

now you can call me an islam hater as you wish noor, i would still feel i have cleared my conscience and didn't just stand there watching my entire world tumble down (i belong to this islamic world whether i like it or not), and pretending to be deaf dumb and blind.

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Physical things aren't always what I mean.
Perhaps you misunderstood me.
It is a MUST for a Muslim woman to wear Hijab, if she chooses not to that is her sin.

I was talking about more political issues, however, how they relate to money and power.

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 28 September 2005).]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is a MUST for a Muslim woman to wear Hijab,

Yaadi eneelah!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
It is a MUST for a Muslim woman to wear Hijab, if she chooses not to that is her sin.

precisely, so if she is committing sin she has to be corrected through the three options mentioned, the severity of each is to be determined according to everyone's own interpretations.

meaning if someone finds that my wife's (who's not veiled and not willing to be wal7umdulillah) sinful behaviour deserves rectification through any given islamic practice let him do that by their hands if they can, or chew her ears and poison her life with silly insistence for the rest of her days if they can't, or look at her in disgust or at least ignore her existance in order to perform the good deed and follow the path of islam.

it always amazes me how you converts are desperately trying to be more royal than the king, do you think they will take you to paradise twice for that?!

OK, a question for 7aya, please answer 7aya: are you wearing higab?

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nooralhaq:
[b] It is a MUST for a Muslim woman to wear Hijab, if she chooses not to that is her sin.

precisely, so if she is committing sin she has to be corrected through the three options mentioned, the severity of each is to be determined according to everyone's own interpretations.

meaning if someone finds that my wife's (who's not veiled and not willing to be wal7umdulillah) sinful behaviour deserves rectification through any given islamic practice let him do that by their hands if they can, or chew her ears and poison her life with silly insistence for the rest of her days if they can't, or look at her in disgust or at least ignore her existance in order to perform the good deed and follow the path of islam.

it always amazes me how you converts are desperately trying to be more royal than the king, do you think they will take you to paradise twice for that?!

OK, a question for 7aya, please answer 7aya: are you wearing higab?[/B][/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know where you come to the conclusion that I ever said if a muslim woman doesn't wear Hijab she should be physically corrected. I never said nor implied that, I simply said it is her OWN sin and she will be judged by one with a greater penalty than we could ever hope to give. I do believe in free will.

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Yaadi eneelah!

what's wrong better me, a conflict of interests?

honest_person
Member # 9057

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for honest_person     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[to 7 aya. thank you for bringing that topic up as really it is very important topic by the one who is in the final year in medicine study and i will finish in january inshaAllah.
anyhow i love Egypt very very much but honestly i want to tell you something truly as it is from the reports .i do not agree with you about what you said about immigration of minds .yes may be there are many of scientists in foriegn countries yes but to be honest with it is not to that degree you think although i am egyptian and love Egypt but the truth that most egyptians in particualr and most arabs in general work in veryyyyy bad jobs in the west and the reports for example say that 90% of arabs in the west work in taxi drivers or have shops for bizza and coffe that give shiha .really something sad .
i did not say that the one who work these jobs are bad ,all what i meant that they do not even work in any things related to their study.
the problem my sister is that the egyptian people shy from working in washing plates here in Egypt although that many of them do that in UK,USA and many countries and that make me really sad.
the gove here dystroyed every hope for us.
for example my sister in the faculty of medicine here in my university if you asked any medical student or student who study science do you want to stay here they will tell you no .that they wish to travle. i can not deny that even me wish that but i swear to you i do not want to travel as i hate Egypt nooooooooo.i love Egypt too much.
but i want to continue my study also i have a dream to work in islamic center following alazhr in UK or USa so i can try to give a good picture of islam there.
if i told you what happen here you will cry may be you do not see what medical students see.
do you see before the kids with skeletons who are in some places in africa who live in starvation? we see them here in the hospital of my university of medicine. not that only . some kids have diseases of malnutrition here those kids the gov give them 3 meals in the hospital do you know what happen?
you find the mother herself eat from that food as she is veryyyy hungry and when the doctor pass she try to feed the kid as the professor may be angry as she not feed the kid and eat his food.really i become very sad with my friends when we see that state in Egypt.
Egypt that one day was feeding the British empire during the world war.
do you want more sadness?
i think that is enough

Posts: 34 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
she will be judged by one with a greater penalty than we could ever hope to give.
it's probably your interpretation based on your readings or that of the sheikh who is teaching you, but that's not the consensus over the matter as you think, it is very much debatable (at least that's what i hope, i wouldn't want to think that my wife is a sinner).

1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nooralhaq:
[b] she will be judged by one with a greater penalty than we could ever hope to give.

it's probably your interpretation based on your readings or that of the sheikh who is teaching you, but that's not the consensus over the matter as you think, it is very much debatable (at least that's what i hope, i wouldn't want to think that my wife is a sinner).

[/B][/QUOTE]

Are You Married

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by honest_person:
[to 7 aya. thank you for bringing that topic up as really it is very important topic by the one who is in the final year in medicine study and i will finish in january inshaAllah.
anyhow i love Egypt very very much but honestly i want to tell you something truly as it is from the reports .i do not agree with you about what you said about immigration of minds .yes may be there are many of scientists in foriegn countries yes but to be honest with it is not to that degree you think although i am egyptian and love Egypt but the truth that most egyptians in particualr and most arabs in general work in veryyyyy bad jobs in the west and the reports for example say that 90% of arabs in the west work in taxi drivers or have shops for bizza and coffe that give shiha .really something sad .
i did not say that the one who work these jobs are bad ,all what i meant that they do not even work in any things related to their study.
the problem my sister is that the egyptian people shy from working in washing plates here in Egypt although that many of them do that in UK,USA and many countries and that make me really sad.
the gove here dystroyed every hope for us.
for example my sister in the faculty of medicine here in my university if you asked any medical student or student who study science do you want to stay here they will tell you no .that they wish to travle. i can not deny that even me wish that but i swear to you i do not want to travel as i hate Egypt nooooooooo.i love Egypt too much.
but i want to continue my study also i have a dream to work in islamic center following alazhr in UK or USa so i can try to give a good picture of islam there.
if i told you what happen here you will cry may be you do not see what medical students see.
do you see before the kids with skeletons who are in some places in africa who live in starvation? we see them here in the hospital of my university of medicine. not that only . some kids have diseases of malnutrition here those kids the gov give them 3 meals in the hospital do you know what happen?
you find the mother herself eat from that food as she is veryyyy hungry and when the doctor pass she try to feed the kid as the professor may be angry as she not feed the kid and eat his food.really i become very sad with my friends when we see that state in Egypt.
i think that is enough

yeah..it's sad..like i said many many times before it is unbelievably sad!
thank you honest_person for your honest words and for bringing us back to the subject of the destruction of egyptian minds, they are destroyed alright and this is strikingly evident in your reply, your honest analysis of the situation is correct beyond belief and it represents the ultimate depiction of the current egyptian state of mind.
i truely congratulate you, although you made me feel really sad that i'm about to cry.

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 1mangang:
Are You Married

what? is that 7aram too? are they arresting married men now? why didn't anyone tell me before? i can divorce her if it annoys you!
you just order and i perform imediately 1mangang...

1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1mangang:
[b] Are You Married

what? is that 7aram too? are they arresting married men now? why didn't anyone tell me before? i can divorce her if it annoys you!
you just order and i perform imediately 1mangang...[/B][/QUOTE]

what? im not muslim
maybe they are right u do hate
muslims jees you are defensive.
grow up

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
hey honest person. thank you for your reply. yes it is very sad, and you know ever since i became a journalist i started seeing so much corruption and zulm it broke my heart. even when i was in university, it never occured to me that the situation is so sad. but i really didn't mean the egyptains who left and worked as waiters etc. i was talking about the really smart egyptians, who are ignored by their countries like farouk el baz.
but you raised a very important issue. the poverty, and hard life is destroying people's minds. if you are struggling every day just to put food on the table, then you don't have time to think about your country, and its problems, or how to fix it. you become like an animal working, eating, drinking, sleeping, and having sex with your husband or wife.

misfit, you are right about the education. my dad always told me that after the revolution the first thing they should have done, is great a good and effective educational system. but they didn't. i'm not just talking about what nasser did to the higher education, i'm talking about the content and material the children are taught. plus education is not just for knoweledge it should be for behaviour too, it should instill morals and values in the children, teach them how to think, instead of memorize like a mule, teach them how to put goals and reach them, how to be ambitous, how to say their opinion, and respect the opinion of others. these are all important values. in egyptian schools, a child is not allowed to even ask a question, just memorize, memorize, memorize.
i remember when my parents moved me to an american school, my history teacher asked me to write a research paper, that is pro homosexuals. i told him, but i'm not for them, i'm against them. he told me, i know, but you need to train yourself to think, and to look at all sides of every issue.
this is what should be taught in any shcool, but its not.

and no misfit i'm not veield, and i don't think its a sin not to be veield, and thats my opinion.

egyptianbeast
Member # 7516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianbeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what? im not muslim
grow up

LOL MISFIT IS BUSTED LOL

Posts: 166 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
what? im not muslim
grow up

and you're too serious, i'm just playin with you..

grow down

so why was the question at the first place?

enigneer
Member # 8908

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for enigneer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do not need to say it is good topic becasue it is really is , but i notice we did not talk about what is the solution till now.
i think if we need things to change we should forgot about the goverment and forgot to see any change it do .
if we really we want the change to better, we should start about ourslelevs.like join a polticle groupe or chairty work or evne human rights. but at least do soemthing instead of just talk.

Posts: 30 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by egyptianbeast:
LOL MISFIT IS BUSTED LOL

he he he, zareef ya madroob...LOL

2al egyptian beast 2al!!

the only egyptian beast i know is the formidable "bors"

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by enigneer:
i do not need to say it is good topic becasue it is really is , but i notice we did not talk about what is the solution till now.
i think if we need things to change we should forgot about the goverment and forgot to see any change it do .
if we really we want the change to better, we should start about ourslelevs.like join a polticle groupe or chairty work or evne human rights. but at least do soemthing instead of just talk.

yes this is exactly my question. what can we do? how can we break into this vicious circle?

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
i was talking about the really smart egyptians
there's no need to embarass anyone here

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya: my dad always told me that after the revolution the first thing they should have done, is creat a good and effective educational system. but they didn't. [/B]
your dad is absolutely right, they should have started with educating people .. but apparently they didn't feel the need to do that, the trend was towards propaganda and propaganda means more schools to be opened regardless of the quality of education and the material given to the young minds, end result; we have masses of nominally educated people so that nasser can claim in his speech he fought illitracy. but in effect those semi-educated would have been much better off illiterate, at least they would have been satisfied farming the land.
my father was brought up in menofia, he wasn't rich, he had to strive to enroll in secondary school even a state one, his teachers were egyptians and british, look at his english, look at his arabic, look at his knowledge of islam, look at his general knowledge, i owe everything that i know to him not to my own education which was nil.
you were lucky to go to a good school, sometimes i envy people who've had good education, when i graduated from college and started developing interests in humanities i had to rebuild myself almost from scratch, it wasn't easy though, i realized i know nothing except what i got from my father.
this is what nasser did to us!

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member

[This message has been edited by misfit (edited 28 September 2005).]

Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are many smart Egyptians with plans that cut turn Egypt's future around, boost its economy, and make it what it should be. But these people are either marginalized by the government, or are so depressed they choose to leave. So what is the solution? What will happen when all the brains leave Egypt? and How can we turn this around? There must be a way!!!

Are there at least any political parties in egypt determined to address the problem specifically that egypts brightest minds are migrating and that generally have egypts long term stability and future as their priority (rather than their shortsighted grip on power)? do they have any hope of wrestling power away from mubarak? (i ask this because i am not familiar with egyptian politics so it might be a dumb question)...... egypt has taken a very small step in the direction of at least the idea of a democracy with this years elections so maybe in time there will be more pressure on egypt to continue taking these small steps towards a day when the egyptian people will be able to elect a government that will address these issues but this will be a long process,just hope this wont happen too late....just some ideas, i find this topic very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by honest_person:
i think that is enough

This is so sad.. you know i really think of egypt as my second home (although i am only half egyptian).. i love egypt as much as i love the country i live in (for some reason i can not really explain).. i am going to make an effort when i come back there to do some type of voluntary work in my spare time any suggestions?.. such stories really make me feel sad but also guilty.. i know i should do more.

Posts: 201 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7aya,ur topic is totaly interesting for me too,im not egyptian and i have no right to judge or smth,i cant even talk about Egypt and i know too little,from what we have discussed with my husband,and still not inough to me!But the same position is here,in my country...they just dont let the people with brain to live and give them good opportunity of prove themselves,thats fact!If u dont believe Mubaraks promises..then ure just smart!If we had to believe all the promisses of our president,and all the politicians here..ehee...there will be no end of the lies!Thats the Political dirty games,the most dirty thing in my eyes is that!The most disgusting people for me r the politicians who really dont give a **** for the people,as they r just too busy to arrange their own life,and vice versa,i dont even want to listen the news here anymore,it make me nuts!I hate everything that happens,all dirty lies,all this masqarade...its sooo useless!
I dont know how u feel about Egypt,but for my country,i dont believe on any promiss...on any president,and any politician...they r all piece of **** ,look for their own interess and everything but the goodness of its nation and people,thats the truth!
And yes all intelligent,smart,and prosperous people having a brain will be depserate,and upset to live like this!Why should they stay?What this country give them?Is there any sense!?I dont think so..!

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com