EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » finding inexpensive furniture in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: finding inexpensive furniture in Egypt
hafsa
Member # 1890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hafsa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Anyone can tell me some places to find decent but inexpensive furnishings for our flat would be greatly appreciated. Now that we are here, everything seems so expensive!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are currently residing in Madinet Nasr so maybe could find something close by.

Thanks

Posts: 138 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum hafsa!

Congratulations on finally arriving, did you manage to find a job?

Yes, it is expensive to set up a home here if you want American style furniture, especially as there is very little second-hand furniture available. The cheapest way to get your furniture is to have it made, if you check back on some threads you will find some advice on that. However, you need to be really careful who you go to, as you don't always get exactly what you expect to get...orders are sometimes interpreted the way the carpenter wants to do it, rather than the way you want it!

Go and have a look along Makram Ebeid and Abbas Al-Aqqad streets, that will give you an idea of what is available, but generally its pretty pricey.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hkhodier
Member # 705

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for hkhodier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you want new things only ?
Posts: 106 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hkhodier!

Why? Do you know where you can get decent secondhand stuff?

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hafsa
Member # 1890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hafsa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu Alaikum Newcomer.

Thanks for the info. Yes, my family and I finally made it here after planning for 4 years. It seems as if we still do not have enough money saved. I have not found a job as of yet because I have a young child. Maybe, next year I will try and teach.

I was wondering if I could email you personally as I feel like I could learn a lot from you. You seem to be a Muslim who is on the correct path which seems hard to find here in Egypt.

I will check into the furniture and see what I can find it.

[This message has been edited by hafsa (edited 30 September 2005).]

Posts: 138 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Wa alaykum salaam hafsa!

Insha Allah you will get barakah from the money you have brought with you and it will be enough to meet your initial needs.

I don’t know if you have seen any of my other messages recently, but I have suggested to a couple of sisters recently to have a look at this link that contains a number of groups for women connected with, or living in Egypt. http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=women+living+in+Egypt&submit=Search There are probably others too if you hunt for them, but they will give you contacts with other women, some in a similar situation to yours who can offer more detailed local advice.

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 01 October 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com