EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Satellite TV and English Shows?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Satellite TV and English Shows?
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Satellite TV in Egypt, what kinds of English television programs does it pick up?
I must admit I'm a TV Junkie and would probably watch anything even if it was in a language I don't understand. However, I was just curious if anyone had an answer to this.
Thanks.

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:
The Satellite TV in Egypt, what kinds of English television programs does it pick up?
I must admit I'm a TV Junkie and would probably watch anything even if it was in a language I don't understand. However, I was just curious if anyone had an answer to this.
Thanks.

Noor, when I was there on vacation in June, the apartment I rented had satellite TV. I think there are a variety of companies, not sure about that. But my fiance's parents had entirely different satellite channels than me and I was in the same complex.

Anyway, there was a channel, MBC 4 I think, that had almost all English language programming. It ran Nightline the morning after, CBS and ABC nightly news I think (I'm a news junkie), Oprah, a variety of currently-run (here) dramas at night, and a lot of syndicated shows like Seinfeld and Magnum PI. And the Sunday morning news shows the next day as well, so I got to see George Stephanopoulous while I was there.

My fiance's parents had CNN international in English but I didn't.

There are definitely a lot of English-language and American shows to choose from. What I *was* interested in was finding Egyptian shows with English subtitles, so I could get more of a feel of the types of shows/humor Egyptians like, but I couldn't find those.....

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least it sounds like some familiar shows, btw, I'm a news junkie too. I just wish I could get some fake news like Comedy Central's Jon Stewart, wallahi I will truly miss the Jon Stewart......
Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well at least it sounds like some familiar shows, btw, I'm a news junkie too. I just wish I could get some fake news like Comedy Central's Jon Stewart, wallahi I will truly miss the Jon Stewart......

Yeah, that would be a serious withdrawal. But you will be busy, God willing, with all other sorts of new things to keep you entertained. Imagine, a whole new country and culture to learn about!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks.

i find a.r.t. company has best channels with showtime package nbut if you can get mbc4 that has good english channel and mbc2 then there the movies channels

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Thanks.

Ohh! Ruby75 on the Visit Egypt board posted some websites for TV channels!
http://www.mbc4.net/

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It depends on which satellite you have your dish adjusted to.

If you're receiving Nilesat (very likely) you will get quite a few English language channels, the most popular ones being MBC 2, 3 and 4.

MBC 2 shows movies 24/7, the other two are specialized in (Amercian) soaps and children's programs.

If you do have Nilesat but can't receive any of those, go to their homepage, check out the frequency and do a signal screening on your satellite receiver, typing in the coordinates for those channels.

Hope that makes sense ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Ohh! Ruby75 on the Visit Egypt board posted some websites for TV channels!
http://www.mbc4.net/

Oh, yeah, I forgot. They call *Wife Swap* over there....*House Swap.* I hate that show anyway....

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Oh, yeah, I forgot. They call *Wife Swap* over there....*House Swap.* I hate that show anyway....

boring.....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com