EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Help! Mumbar???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Mumbar???
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so my fiance has this bright idea he is going to cook something for me called mumbar. Spelling it phonetically so I have no idea if that's right.

Something about rice and other things stuffed in an intestine and boiled then fried???

I swear all his mother cooked while i was visiting were fresh vegetables, Balti fish, bread, and fava beans. I have no idea where he comes up with these organ meat disasters!

How do I tactfully get out of this?

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't try, it's delicious! It's just an Egyptian version of haggis or sausage...what do you think sausage skins are made out of?!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm, colons. My favorite! HAHAHA What are sausage skins made out of? Not colons. Really!?!
Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq2005
Member # 7790

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
OK, so my fiance has this bright idea he is going to cook something for me called mumbar. Spelling it phonetically so I have no idea if that's right.

Something about rice and other things stuffed in an intestine and boiled then fried???

I swear all his mother cooked while i was visiting were fresh vegetables, Balti fish, bread, and fava beans. I have no idea where he comes up with these organ meat disasters!

omg that sounds disgusting...truly. I mean grantid if we grew up with it I guess it would be normal...but we didn't so it sounds rancid. I had an Egyptian girl describe to me what it was like when she tried a hot dog for the first time, she described it as a long pink finger laying between two buns with a bunch of crap squeezed over it and the crap is oozing down the pink finger..LOL.
I never thought of it that way but when I imagined myself as her and seeing it for the first time, yes I would be disgusted too.

My advice, try it. Just don't watch him cook it, tell him not to tell you too much about it, be open minded and try it. You probably won't like it now that you know too much, if you don't care for it, smile gracefully, say it does have some good tastes, but for your personal taste, you don't care too much for it. There...you tried it and saved face
Good luck.

Posts: 183 | From: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't believe you people, you are eating haggis and sausages and like it so much because you don't know they are made of intestines?
how does it look like to you? doesn't it look like intestine or what? and what about that german sausages made of pork intestine filled with pork blood? doesn't that sound disgusting too?

try mumbar people, it's delicious.. or stop eating sausages, at least mumbar is filled with rice and herbs not pigs' blood!

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case you would like to read a little more about those delicious sizzling sausages that you have been eating all your life, this is what the casings are made of:

1. NATURAL CASINGS
Sausages have historically been manufactured in natural casings. Natural casings are almost exclusively prepared from different parts of the alimentary canal of pigs and ruminants. Pig caings are derived from the stomachs, small intestines (pig casings, smalls or rounds), large intestines (caps and middles) and terminal straight end of the large intestines (bungs). Cattle casings are obtained from the oesophagus (weasands), small intestines (rounds or runners), caecum (bungs), large intestines (middles) and urinary bladders. Only the small intestines of sheep are used for sausage casings.
The walls of the entire intestinal tract consist of four distinct tissue layers: mucosa, submucosa (rich in collagenous fibres), circular and longitudinal muscle layers and serosa or external layer.
If you want to know all the details, go to: http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6556e/X6556E03.htm

Now shall I tell you what is inside them???

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
i don't believe you people, you are eating haggis and sausages and like it so much because you don't know they are made of intestines?
how does it look like to you? doesn't it look like intestine or what? and what about that german sausages made of pork intestine filled with pork blood? doesn't that sound disgusting too?

try mumbar people, it's delicious.. or stop eating sausages, at least mumbar is filled with rice and herbs not pigs' blood!

I *don't* eat those things. That's the point. If I didn't like fish so much, I'd almost be vegetarian.

So I should concentrate on the rice aspect I suppose, to keep the peace.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I *don't* eat those things. That's the point. If I didn't like fish so much, I'd almost be vegetarian.

So I should concentrate on the rice aspect I suppose, to keep the peace.

but if you don't eat meat why do you have to eat this recipe? you don't have to do something you don't wanna do just to keep the peace, but of course you know what's best for you!

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why do you assume we eat these things??
jees I've never seen someone take it so personally that someone else doesn't like their food.

Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
but if you don't eat meat why do you have to eat this recipe? you don't have to do something you don't wanna do just to keep the peace, but of course you know what's best for you!

It's not that I don't eat meat. It's that I'm not very adventurous eating new foods made from meat. I eat boneless skinless chicken breasts. Sometimes steak. Very bland and very non-animal *looking.* Steamed crabs are very big in my area of the country, but I don't like looking down at my plate to see the crabs little eyes staring back at me as I hack into its shell....

Any veggie thing? I'll try and probably love. But meat? Different story. Organ meat? Absolutely not.

As far as relationship/recipe dynamics go,I got him to try a chicken stuffed with goat cheese and arugula, and rosemary pan-roasted potatoes (my kind of American food). It sounded very weird to him, (he generally only goes for steak and shrimp) but he liked it. So I should be as brave and open-minded when *he* suggests something new. I ended up *loving* torshi this way.

[This message has been edited by Snoozin (edited 17 October 2005).]

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:

I think haggis and blood sausage and all that is more common in England and maybe European countries. I've never seen them here, and my dad's family is Scottish! He still won't touch haggis.

Americans eat pork sausage, but I think it's mostly a southern thing. Everyone's trying to get away from it because it's not very healthy.

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not that I don't eat meat. It's that I'm not very adventurous eating new foods made from meat. I eat boneless skinless chicken breasts. Sometimes steak. Very bland and very non-animal *looking.* Steamed crabs are very big in my area of the country, but I don't like looking down at my plate to see the crabs little eyes staring back at me as I hack into its shell....

Any veggie thing? I'll try and probably love. But meat? Different story. Organ meat? Absolutely not.

As far as relationship/recipe dynamics go,I got him to try a chicken stuffed with goat cheese and arugula, and rosemary pan-roasted potatoes (my kind of American food). It sounded very weird to him, (he generally only goes for steak and shrimp) but he liked it. So I should be as brave and open-minded when *he* suggests something new. I ended up *loving* torshi this way.

[This message has been edited by Snoozin (edited 17 October 2005).]

I hear you Snoozin! I feel the exact same way. I don't like to see their eyes either and can't get the "I'm eating an organ" out of my head. Be strong!! Good luck to you!!

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

hey, calm down! you know, not all sausages are filled with pig's blood. i think it's only the red ones. i've never heard of bratwurst or wiener filled with pigs' blood. what is haggis exactly made from?

Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by germanjulia:

what is haggis exactly made from?

If you can get a good one, it's absolutely wonderful!

Actual Scottish Haggis - how to make it

A champion Haggis should be firm and slightly sticky, with no tendency to dry out or crumble too much. Most traditional Scottish butchers sell their own home made Haggis and guard the recipe fiercely. Ours is from the Glasgow Cookery Book from around 1926.

Be aware that this recipe includes lungs and windpipes and other things that don't tend to appear in cut out 'n' keep recipe cards. If you want to avoid these gruesome bits or aren't allowed to eat them (hello, America!), try the Haggis-lite recipe instead.

(Ignore people who tell you to put a rock in with your simmering Haggis then throw out the beast and eat the rock - they are Phillistines with no sense for the finer things in life.)

Ingredients.

1 sheep’s pluck. i.e. the animals heart, liver, and lights (lungs).
Cold water.
1 sheep’s stomach (empty).
1lb lightly toasted pinhead oatmeal (medium or coarse oatmeal).
1-2 tablespoons salt.
1 level tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice.
1 level tablespoon of mixed herbs.
8oz finely chopped suet.
4 large onions, finely chopped.
(lemon juice (or a good vinegar) is sometimes added as well as other flavourings such as cayenne pepper)

Directions

Wash the stomach in cold water until it is thoroughly clean and then soak it in cold salted water for about 8-10 hours.

Place the pluck in a large pot and cover with cold water. The windpipe ought to be hung over the side of the pot with a container beneath it in order to collect any drips. Gently simmer the pluck for approximately 2 hours or until it is tender and then leave the pluck to cool.

Finely chop or mince the pluck meat and then mix it with the oatmeal. Add about half a pint of the liquor in which the pluck was cooked (or use a good stock). Add the seasonings, suet and onions, ensuring everything is well mixed.

Fill the stomach with the mixture, leaving enough room for the oatmeal to expand into. Press out the air and then sew up the haggis. Prick the haggis a few times with a fine needle. Place the haggis it in boiling water and simmer for approximately 3 hours.
http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/haggisclopedia.cfm?part=10

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

[b]Actual Scottish Haggis - how to make it

A champion Haggis should be firm and slightly sticky, with no tendency to dry out or crumble too much. Most traditional Scottish butchers sell their own home made Haggis and guard the recipe fiercely. Ours is from the Glasgow Cookery Book from around 1926.

Be aware that this recipe includes lungs and windpipes and other things that don't tend to appear in cut out 'n' keep recipe cards. If you want to avoid these gruesome bits or aren't allowed to eat them (hello, America!), try the Haggis-lite recipe instead.

(Ignore people who tell you to put a rock in with your simmering Haggis then throw out the beast and eat the rock - they are Phillistines with no sense for the finer things in life.)

Ingredients.

Cold water.
1 sheep’s stomach (empty).
1lb lightly toasted pinhead oatmeal (medium or coarse oatmeal).
1-2 tablespoons salt.
1 level tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice.
1 level tablespoon of mixed herbs.
8oz finely chopped suet.
4 large onions, finely chopped.
(lemon juice (or a good vinegar) is sometimes added as well as other flavourings such as cayenne pepper)

Directions

Wash the stomach in cold water until it is thoroughly clean and then soak it in cold salted water for about 8-10 hours.

Place the pluck in a large pot and cover with cold water. The windpipe ought to be hung over the side of the pot with a container beneath it in order to collect any drips. Gently simmer the pluck for approximately 2 hours or until it is tender and then leave the pluck to cool.

Finely chop or mince the pluck meat and then mix it with the oatmeal. Add about half a pint of the liquor in which the pluck was cooked (or use a good stock). Add the seasonings, suet and onions, ensuring everything is well mixed.

Fill the stomach with the mixture, leaving enough room for the oatmeal to expand into. Press out the air and then sew up the haggis. Prick the haggis a few times with a fine needle. Place the haggis it in boiling water and simmer for approximately 3 hours.
http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/haggisclopedia.cfm?part=10 [/B]

Ugh I'll stick to my yank food!

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
I ended up *loving* torshi this way.
you remind me of me and the wife, we used to surprise each other with how great we can cook, of course if it's a mutual thing it makes sense.
there's nothing wrong with mumbar (if it's done the correct way and very well cleaned), it's filled with rice and dill, it is very tasty but i hope he's a good cook

germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

Cold water.
1 sheep’s stomach (empty).[/URL]

thanks but no thanks

[This message has been edited by germanjulia (edited 17 October 2005).]

Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey snoozin how are you? mumbar is very delicious inshallah you will love it! but its very heavy so make sure you don't have to do anything immediatly afterwards, because believe me you will feel like you want to lie down but its delicousssssssssssss, i had it last tuesday
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tasted mumbar for the first time, was urged to take one bite.. was told my sis in law cooked the best if that was her best I'm afraid to test her other culinary delights. I never heard of Haggis either...But have you heard of hammocks and blackeyed peas? A Southern dish where I'm from, Catfish is a specialty there also. Me just give me some good ol chicken and dumplins and I'm in heaven...
Not big on sausage but do miss an occasional beef sausage or turkey with breakfast eggs ...Ever here of Scrabble now that's some kind of soft sausage served very thin and fine served in a square shape?? Sausage has been drastically reduced in American diets.
Right now after weeks of lamb and rice and red thick salsa on everything I will try a braunershitz, haggis, kobasa(polish sausage) weiner shitz anything...send it on..

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snoozin, try it belhana weshshefa, It is so delicious when it is well done, it must be so clean by washing it very hard and frequently. Recently, I had a chance to eat it but with “fishsha”, only vegetarians can ignore it.
Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by MisplacedinAlex:
I just tasted mumbar for the first time, was urged to take one bite.. was told my sis in law cooked the best if that was her best I'm afraid to test her other culinary delights. I never heard of Haggis either...But have you heard of hammocks and blackeyed peas? A Southern dish where I'm from, Catfish is a specialty there also. Me just give me some good ol chicken and dumplins and I'm in heaven...
Not big on sausage but do miss an occasional beef sausage or turkey with breakfast eggs ...Ever here of Scrabble now that's some kind of soft sausage served very thin and fine served in a square shape?? Sausage has been drastically reduced in American diets.
Right now after weeks of lamb and rice and red thick salsa on everything I will try a braunershitz, haggis, kobasa(polish sausage) weiner shitz anything...send it on..

Oh, yeah, I've done scrapple. Around here it's brought over by the Pennsylvania Dutch. My dad grew up next to an Amish family and he developed a real taste for it. I never really got into it though. It tastes great, but when I think about what's *in* it..... I can really ruin my appetite thinking about the food too much.

Heh heh. That's funny too. I really did like my fiance's mother's cooking a lot (in Cairo), but I was craving some McDonalds by the end of the trip, and I don't even eat McDonalds much at all. Must have just been craving something *familiar.*

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even though I have been to egypt more than 5 times .. I still havent tasted it.. but I think my brother has, he always tries the strangest on the menu.. i stay to the normal things I can find
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin, can't believe someone knows scrabble. I like it. Did you ever have Amish shoefly pie..it's so yummy. Used to go to PA. Dutch area when lived in NJ. Cool.I know I am craving Philly Cheesesteak too! Oh my I must get food off my mind. My Egyptian husband can not cook Egyptian food at all, he is great at Italian though! Laugh! We having clams in white sauce tommorow.
Coia Bella

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by MisplacedinAlex:
Snoozin, can't believe someone knows scrabble. I like it. Did you ever have Amish shoefly pie..it's so yummy. Used to go to PA. Dutch area when lived in NJ. Cool.I know I am craving Philly Cheesesteak too! Oh my I must get food off my mind. My Egyptian husband can not cook Egyptian food at all, he is great at Italian though! Laugh! We having clams in white sauce tommorow.
Coia Bella

No, I've heard of it (shoefly pie) but never had it. What's in it (I'm afraid to ask). I wish my fiance liked and/or cooked Italian! Yum.

And cheesecake. Yum Yum!

I was just up in New Jersey this weekend...Mt. Holly...for an engagement party. And I have relatives in South Jersey...Ocean City and Cape May.

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
OK,

disasters!

It is great to find a man who is willing to cook for you somthing that he think special...I will start with thanking him and showing great deal of apparition of taking the initiative to cook...and recommend if he is in stuffing things ask him that you heard about MAHSHI(stuffed grape leaves,cabbiage,squash or even patatos) with the same stuffing that he will use for mumbar.I 'm sure if you use the phrase for health reasons he will not be offended...God luck

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger,Tiger:
It is great to find a man who is willing to cook for you somthing that he think special...I will start with thanking him and showing great deal of apparition of taking the initiative to cook...and recommend if he is in stuffing things ask him that you heard about MAHSHI(stuffed grape leaves,cabbiage,squash or even patatos) with the same stuffing that he will use for mumbar.I 'm sure if you use the phrase for health reasons he will not be offended...God luck

LOL! It's a running joke between us and I think he *likes* to scare me with his concoctions. Trust me, I tell him all the time how lucky I am to have found him (and his cooking).

I *love* mahshi!!! His mom made that a couple of times while I was there. It is sold here in middle eastern food markets but it doesn't taste as good as what his mom made. He kept raving about how superior Egyptian food was to American. I thought he was just proud of his country and/or used to the food there, but I have to say, the kofta and lamb kebabs I had in Cairo both were absolutely the best I have ever tasted.

1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
LOL! It's a running joke between us and I think he *likes* to scare me with his concoctions. Trust me, I tell him all the time how lucky I am to have found him (and his cooking).

I *love* mahshi!!! His mom made that a couple of times while I was there. It is sold here in middle eastern food markets but it doesn't taste as good as what his mom made. He kept raving about how superior Egyptian food was to American. I thought he was just proud of his country and/or used to the food there, but I have to say, the kofta and lamb kebabs I had in Cairo both were absolutely the best I have ever tasted.

america food is combinationn of different cultures mixed up - i wish ic could cook

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by 1mangang:
america food is combinationn of different cultures mixed up - i wish ic could cook

You can cook, 1man. Try the Food Everyday magazine from Martha Stewart. Very easy but tasty recipes. Just make sure you have all the ingredients at hand and proper measuring tools. After a while, you *get* it, and you can start being creative on your own!

Let us know what you come up with!

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[ Trust me, I tell him all the time how lucky I am to have found him (and his cooking).

I *love* mahshi!!! [/B][/QUOTE]\

You seem to be a good human,who deserve every sweet thing in Life..I have read some of your posts and I can say that you are a good person and he is a lucky man (may be a good man,too) I say may be since I do not know him....But I say birds in feathers fly together.
I cook to my wife not too often but when I cook ,she likes it as a matter of fact I will be making a roasted Duck for her BD ...WISH ME LUCK

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger,Tiger:

You seem to be a good human,who deserve every sweet thing in Life..I have read some of your posts and I can say that you are a good person and he is a lucky man (may be a good man,too) I say may be since I do not know him....But I say birds in feathers fly together.
I cook to my wife not too often but when I cook ,she likes it as a matter of fact I will be making a roasted Duck for her BD ...WISH ME LUCK

Thank you very much, Tiger. Goodness. You are like the 4th person to give me a compliment today, I don't feel so deserving. But thank you.

Yum, roasted duck sounds wonderful and I'm sure you will create a masterpiece. And yes, a woman loves it when a man cooks occasionally for her. It's a very generous and loving thing to do, and shows her that you appreciate her. It's very nice when spouses can do little nice things for each other every so often.

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Yum, roasted duck sounds wonderful and I'm sure you will create a masterpiece.

Here is a good site for Egyptian cooking
http://www.touregypt.net/recipes/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com