EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Memory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Memory
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey everyone how are you? in the past couple of months ive been having serious memory problems. i forget very basic things, like names, dates, things i've told people! i know that many people have this problem, so is there a solution. a friend of mine told me that there are certain mental excercises to jog up the memory, is that true?!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river_0f_l0ve
Member # 8638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river_0f_l0ve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat:
hey everyone how are you? in the past couple of months ive been having serious memory problems. i forget very basic things, like names, dates, things i've told people! i know that many people have this problem, so is there a solution. a friend of mine told me that there are certain mental excercises to jog up the memory, is that true?!

I really have same situation, i will be so glad if someone could share this and give a really useful information...if your friend is right, what kind of execrises the person could do.
Posts: 696 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7ayat
I heard that tomex pills help..u know the garlic tablets?

But yes there are memory exercises..like looking at a pic then trying to remeber and things like that.

I checked google and here goes:

Find yourself forgetting names and telephone numbers? Having a hard time remembering all the items on your grocery list? If both answers are yes, you'll be glad to know there are ways to train and strengthen your memory.
Learning good memory techniques takes time, but they are helpful and easy to use once the skills are mastered, says Stephen Klein, head of the psychology department at Mississippi State University.

Humans naturally form "memory attributes," or the association of certain cues to past experiences and people--a song on the radio may remind us of a high school dance, for instance. Klein says that we can train ourselves to use the process with everything from names and dates to grocery lists and phone numbers.

"Waiters and waitresses do this all the time," he says. "They associate a person's order with that person's facial characteristics. This is why they often don't have to write the order down."

Klein says that the primary reason people forget is because we don't associate a retrieval cue with the item we want to remember. These cues can be just about anything, but Klein offers a few suggestions:

A simple way for remembering grocery lists and related things is to visualize each item in separate rooms in your house. Then imagine going through your house and seeing each item as you get to its room.
You can remember phone numbers and addresses in similar ways. Take each number, or group of numbers, and associate them with visual images. If you're trying to remember someone's name, associate the name with that person's features or characteristics.
Keep in mind that visualization is very important to retrieval. It is much easier to recall a name or number if we can associate it with something we recognize.
Using techniques such as these to maximize your ability to remember are worth the investment of time, Klein says. "They involve imagination and work, but soon they will become almost second nature."

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks janaa. you know i never had a great memory, i would just finish a book, and forget everything thats in it [Smile] but lately its gotten much worse, i usually don't forget people's names, or specific dates [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ngeg:
7ayat

But yes there are memory exercises..like looking at a pic then trying to remeber and things like that.

I will check with my friend and get back to u

tomex pills? interesting [Smile]
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey sweety,
as far as i know.. memory loss can happen when your stress level is very high in a long while..
or when you think too much

this happened to me and my brother
and the best way i found is too first
take things easier
and write things down
and when you start to relax a bit things will go smoothly

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
tomex pills? interesting [Smile] [/QB]

Estani u r so quick!
I did edit my post after u replied. I got u a little piece of info. reread.

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ngeg:
7ayat

I checked google and here goes:

Find yourself forgetting names and telephone numbers? Having a hard time remembering all the items on your grocery list? If both answers are yes, you'll be glad to know there are ways to train and strengthen your memory.
Learning good memory techniques takes time, but they are helpful and easy to use once the skills are mastered, says Stephen Klein, head of the psychology department at Mississippi State University.

Humans naturally form "memory attributes," or the association of certain cues to past experiences and people--a song on the radio may remind us of a high school dance, for instance. Klein says that we can train ourselves to use the process with everything from names and dates to grocery lists and phone numbers.

"Waiters and waitresses do this all the time," he says. "They associate a person's order with that person's facial characteristics. This is why they often don't have to write the order down."

Klein says that the primary reason people forget is because we don't associate a retrieval cue with the item we want to remember. These cues can be just about anything, but Klein offers a few suggestions:

A simple way for remembering grocery lists and related things is to visualize each item in separate rooms in your house. Then imagine going through your house and seeing each item as you get to its room.
You can remember phone numbers and addresses in similar ways. Take each number, or group of numbers, and associate them with visual images. If you're trying to remember someone's name, associate the name with that person's features or characteristics.
Keep in mind that visualization is very important to retrieval. It is much easier to recall a name or number if we can associate it with something we recognize.
Using techniques such as these to maximize your ability to remember are worth the investment of time, Klein says. "They involve imagination and work, but soon they will become almost second nature."

wow ngeg thanks! i had learned about association in uni, but i forgot all about it. makes a lot of sense though. thank you so much [Smile]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
hey sweety,
as far as i know.. memory loss can happen when your stress level is very high in a long while..

take things easier
and write things down

you know a friend of mine suffered from that last year. she once borrowed my tape recorder, the one i do interviews with. she was supposed to return it the same day, because i had an important interview the next day, but she forgot , something she wouldn't normally do. she called and apologized and said that she has been going to the doctor because she had serious memory problems the entire month. i was furious and gave her the "you are too young to have alzheimars" speech and hung up. her problems got worse and worse, and she used to forget even names. now i can totally sympathise, because the same is happening to me
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7ayat here it's an article about memory loss:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1660&dept_id=8812&newsid=15498002&PAG=461&rfi=9

Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEP .. there are exercises to do .. but are you really stressed out about something maybe subconsciencely? and don't even know it? do you wake up in the middle of the night, with a million thoughts racing?

everyday I do crossword puzzles and seek and find puzzle ...

Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I think it's the stress.

Other than that, you can do word association when you meet someone. Like if you meet a bald guy named Tom, you could repeat in your head *Tom needs a toupee* *Tom needs a toupee.* *Tom toupee* *Tom toupee*.

Always works for me. [Wink]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

yes stress will do that my sister.
Try getting more sleep and making sure that you
avoid caffeine.

Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercise boosts memory
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i've been the same for about the past 9 months now but it's called Pregnancy Brain!!!!!! [Smile] Guess that's not your case just yet though, huh?
xxx

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
hey everyone thanks for your tips! ill try to do some of those crosswords puzzles but i suck! [Eek!]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Farhana:
Well, i've been the same for about the past 9 months now but it's called Pregnancy Brain!!!!!! [Smile] Guess that's not your case just yet though, huh?
xxx

well at least youll get a bundle of joy in exchange for your memory loss! [Wink] when are you inshallah due?
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
hey sweety,

take things easier
and write things down

What Sara said is very useful, plus, Can you have a holiday and avoid daily work?
Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing I forgot to say, there are tow kinds of natural treatment ; the first one is called "bardaqush" the second one is" eklil el gabal", a small bag for one pound each. You can find both at "attar" shop. Boil it and drink hot. Belhana weshshefa. [Smile]
Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ibr:
Another thing I forgot to say, there are tow kinds of natural treatment ; (FOR MEMORY LOSS).

Why don't you take some yourself?

heeeeeheee

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the natural Miswaak help memery too.
It is strong bitter smell that helps the memory

quote:
Originally posted by ibr:
Another thing I forgot to say, there are tow kinds of natural treatment ; the first one is called "bardaqush" the second one is" eklil el gabal", a small bag for one pound each. You can find both at "attar" shop. Boil it and drink hot. Belhana weshshefa. [Smile]

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7ayat.... dont worry about it!!!
I walk from one room to another to get something.... and then I forget what I've gone for!!!
I do this all the time!!!
you've got a lot on your mind at the moment!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com