EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » HARASSMENT IN THE STREETS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HARASSMENT IN THE STREETS
nami_pamker
Member # 6486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nami_pamker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am writing a research about harassment in the streets of Egypt and I would like to know stories from girls who were harassed. Please, email me: naomi_pamker@yahoo.es and your privacy will keep between us.
Thank you very much

Posts: 140 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nami_pamker:
I am writing a research about harassment in the streets of Egypt and I would like to know stories from girls who were harassed. Please, email me: naomi_pamker@yahoo.es and your privacy will keep between us.
Thank you very much

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=008279
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got harassed here in DC this morning....does that count? [Wink]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dudda
Member # 8705

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dudda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger,Tiger:

Why did u forward her to KAWTHAR ! Really too much [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 715 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ufffffffffff...
I got harrassed in the streets of Dubai....does it matter?

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiley
Member # 8255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have just got bac from egypt.. and do not get harrassed maybe because they know me in my neighbourhood or because i carry a very large handbag and speak arabic or mainly cos im 56 lol.. who knows even when young they were always polite.. yes they look who does not.. but gawd harrased noooooooo

--------------------
There is no truer friend than the one who is cherished and loved ... without being seen or held

Posts: 230 | From: uk/U.A.E | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harrassed vocally, physically what are you talking about?

If vocally then I got harassed everyday in Cairo!

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i had a huge fight with two guys today! 3adi

you know often when egyptian guys see a girl or girls alone in the car, they start driving close to them in the same speed, while staring all the time! so yesterday i was coming home, and a couple of guys started doing that to me. believe me i was not in a good mood! so i thought fine ill teach them a lesson. i just lost my mind, and i didn't even care what will happen to my car! when they were very close, suddenly i veered my car sharply to the right. they had to act very quickly to get out of my way. and man you should have seen the look of dsibelief on their faces! i wich i can do it again!!!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat:

you know often when egyptian guys see a girl or girls alone in the car, they start driving close to them in the same speed, while staring all the time! so yesterday i was coming home, and a couple of guys started doing that to me. believe me i was not in a good mood! so i thought fine ill teach them a lesson. i just lost my mind, and i didn't even care what will happen to my car! when they were very close, suddenly i veered my car sharply to the right. they had to act very quickly to get out of my way. and man you should have seen the look of dsibelief on their faces! i wich i can do it again!!!

You go girl! They do that here in the US too, on interstate highways. Unfortunately, staring is not all they are doing...quite often they are masturbating as well. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
quote:

You go girl! They do that here in the US too, on interstate highways. Unfortunately, staring is not all they are doing...quite often they are masturbating as well. [Roll Eyes]
you know, the look on their faces made me so happy! but does it really happen in the US? i thought it was an egyptian thing!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
you know, the look on their faces made me so happy! but does it really happen in the US? i thought it was an egyptian thing!

It happens to me at least once a week. I commute to work on highways, and this is where I notice it. Usually a guy in a big truck looking down at me in my car...I never look over at them, pretend I'm oblivious...I'll speed up -- he speeds up. I slow down -- he slows down. OK, yeah, I'm wearing skirts, but not mini skirts! You can't even see my knees sitting down. [Roll Eyes]

I have been followed before in my car when I was going home one night, and I had to pull into the local police station instead. The thing is here....this type of harassment *can* be related to or precursor of a violent crime....

If I didn't care about my car, I would do the same thing you did.... bravo! [Big Grin]

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

It happens to me at least once a week. I commute to work on highways, and this is where I notice it. Usually a guy in a big truck looking down at me in my car...I never look over at them, pretend I'm oblivious...I'll speed up -- he speeds up. I slow down -- he slows down. OK, yeah, I'm wearing skirts, but not mini skirts! You can't even see my knees sitting down. [Roll Eyes]

I have been followed before in my car when I was going home one night, and I had to pull into the local police station instead. The thing is here....this type of harassment *can* be related to or precursor of a violent crime....

If I didn't care about my car, I would do the same thing you did.... bravo! [Big Grin]

hmmm interesting! i honestly never thought this happened anywhere besides egypt! and believe me, every inch of my car has a dent, so it didn't matter.

something strange happened to me today. i was driving home, and in the traffic light, i noticed from the corner of my eye this guy in an amazing silver mercedes looking at me. i thought whatever, another weird guy. anyway i drove home, and as i parked, i found this guy right next to me; apparently he's been following me!. so anyway he looks at me, and motions to me to roll down the window. so i look at him. he seems very decent. i mean i have alot of experience with this sort of crap, and i've become in expert in pointing out those perverts! but this guy looked very polite and decent. anyway i roll down my window, and say yes? he says, very politely, excuse me miss, i just want to say something to you? i start getting angry, and yell, what? he says, again very politely, no please without being rude or aggresive, i just want to tell you something. so i say look mr, i'm parking, and this is my house, ok? he says, too politely ok, i'm sorry, and forgive me for any disturbance, and drives away! what on earth was that about?! my aunt thinks he wanted to propose, which by the way is not shocking in egypt!

loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harrassment happens in the US too. Its just bad everywhere. When I ride the bus, or waiting for it, guys would drive up, and proposition me. Usually I start picking my nose, and yell some obscenity's and how they could never afford me, and tell them to go home to their wife, or ask them what gives them the right to harrass? and is it cool, does it build up their ego? they usually look really stupid.
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhhh 7ayaaaa,hahahah:D,i swear i loveeeeeeee your style girl,Go like this,Cool!LOLLL my dad thought im insane,i just lost myself from laugh,the poor man dont know what happened to me,lolllll!Good that my hubby is at work right now!
Really the harassment is something soooo normal even in my country,i just put them one badddd look,or if they have no shame,i direct cut them by words,in last i keep my proffesional curst! [Big Grin]
Its really teasing,which i hate is they have no shame!
Depend on what mood they catch me,but in the most cases i am BADDD! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them"

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by diana_ivanova:
Ohhhhhhh 7ayaaaa,hahahah:D,i swear i loveeeeeeee your style girl,Go like this,Cool!LOLLL my dad thought im insane,i just lost myself from laugh,the poor man dont know what happened to me,lolllll!Good that my hubby is at work right now!
Really the harassment is something soooo normal even in my country,i just put them one badddd look,or if they have no shame,i direct cut them by words,in last i keep my proffesional curst! [Big Grin]
Its really teasing,which i hate is they have no shame!
Depend on what mood they catch me,but in the most cases i am BADDD! [Big Grin]

glad i made you laugh diana [Smile] i really think that women should react to the harrasment and not just ignorant!
nami_pamker
Member # 6486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nami_pamker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY GIRLS! THank you for the posts.
I know harassment is happening in all countries, but my research is about Egypt. So please, feel free to email me if you really want to make your voice heared and I will tell you the info we need for this project.
Again, I will tell you that privacy on your identity is out of queestion.
Thanks again!!!
My email: naomi_pamker@yahoo.es

Posts: 140 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I got harassed here in DC this morning....does that count? [Wink]

By an Egyptian Guy????
IF SO IT COUNTS [Wink]

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by ngeg:
Ufffffffffff...
I got harrassed in the streets of Dubai....does it matter?

Was he a dark shin guy with a heavey Egytian accent????If so it matters.... [Wink]
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
Harrassed vocally, physically what are you talking about?

If vocally then I got harassed everyday in Cairo!

You must be FIT AND BEAUTIFUL...otherwise who would care????????to even look...that is called selective harrasment [Wink]
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Dudda:
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger,Tiger:

Why did u forward her to KAWTHAR ! Really too much [Wink] [Big Grin]

Because Kawathar knows every woman that gets harrassed and also under police watch with no help from anyone..that might help her in her search for the truth...
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callin' out around the world
Are you ready for a brand new heat?
Summer's here and the time is right
For harrrrassing in the street
They're harrrrassin’ in Cairoooooooooo
Down in Midan Tahriiiir
Up in Shebeen el-koooooooooooooooom

All we need is idiots, fcukin’ idiots
There'll be idiots everywhere
There'll be whistlin', swearin' and buttoks grabbin'
And harrrrassing in the streets

Oh, it doesn't matter what you wear
Just as long as you are there
So come on, every guy grab a girl
Everywhere around the world
There'll be harrrrassin’
They're harrrrassing in the street

This is an invitation
Across the nation
A chance for the folks to meet
There'll be bashing and cursin' and “Ommik” swingin'

[Razz]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

ROFL ROFL ROFL....suffocating cuz I can't catch my breath!!!!! [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ROFL ROFL ROFL....suffocating cuz I can't catch my breath!!!!! [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Callin' out around the world
Are you ready for a brand new heat?
Summer's here and the time is right
For harrrrassing in the street
They're harrrrassin’ in Cairoooooooooo
Down in Midan Tahriiiir
Up in Shebeen el-koooooooooooooooom

All we need is idiots, fcukin’ idiots
There'll be idiots everywhere
There'll be whistlin', swearin' and buttoks grabbin'

Oh, it doesn't matter what you wear
Just as long as you are there
So come on, every guy grab a girl
Everywhere around the world
There'll be harrrrassin’
They're harrrrassing in the street

This is an invitation
Across the nation
A chance for the folks to meet
There'll be bashing and cursin' and “Ommik” swingin'

[Razz]

T/A/L/E/N/T/E/D/
read between the lines [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nami why dont you go on the search button and type harrasment, there you will find all the post that has been written here about harrasment and BELIEVE me its enough for you to write a whole book about it!!

good luck

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nami_pamker
Member # 6486

Member Rated:
well, I need concrete people coz I have to do a statistical study. I would give a questionnaire and the person has to fill some info. So to hear only stories is not enough. I have to contact the people personally.
Thank you!

gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyday when I go to the supermarket and I TRY to have a nice walk, there will be some asshole with a small willy insecurity perverted mind problem. Strangely though its not the working class! Its the rich educated boys in their smart cars. I went to the fabric market opposite Khan el khalili and no one tried to grab or be funny.

But the first time I went exploring in my neighbourhood, all covered up, minding my own business, 3 boys were standing outside my building. And they started the "hellooooo" thing with lots of sleazy sounding Arabic. Fortunately from my bf driving I learnt Arabic swearwords quickly. So I said: WHAT!!! with a deadly look. Then they giggled the little wimps and I yelled ANTA BEDDAN! They shut up real quick and stopped.

AND later on a very smart car slowed down and he yelled something at me. I lost the plot and yelled F*** OFF and throwed a very nasty middle finger their way! THey did not expect that! You should have seen their faces! I had a good giggle! Idiots

But what is at the root of this problem? Is it because society has made such a massive taboo of sex? Maybe the forbidden fruit syndrome has kicked in.

Posts: 458 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimbo57
Member # 9486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimbo57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God be on a sat night here in england no probs only drunks no harrassment at all only Egypt as this...
Posts: 68 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by gigli:

Then they giggled the little wimps and I yelled ANTA BEDDAN! They shut up real quick and stopped.

oh my god you're hilarious, i almost fell off my chair. i can't imagine a foreign woman saying something like beddan! but good for you! i can't imagine the look on their faces!
Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimbo57:
God be on a sat night here in england no probs only drunks no harrassment at all only Egypt as this...

I remember one sat night in London in a bus station near a famous square that i don't recall its name . I was like 18 and my younger brother ,he was 16, waiting for the bus and there were these 2 ladies standing there waiting for the bus as well. 2 bald headed drunk guys with nice blood scene gushing from thier foreheads, they were just heading to the girls slowly, it was like slow torture, one of them tried to get her attention by grabbing her bag , but it was clear he was not interested in the bag. the girls shouted at them,and they went few steps a way. my brave illogical brother said to me these bastards, we should do some thing , i looked around and i found that we are not the only ones around, there were some poeple around and acted as if there is nothing going on. I measured the sizes of these 2 tsunami guys, it was like committing a suicide. My brother did not stop nagging to interfer,nagging to die ,,, I said OKAY WE GONNA DO IT BUT let me think. okay we gonna hit them in the balls okay but don't miss that just one strike okay, if you missed the target we are deaaaaaad got that.... we were about getting to the target...and I just thank God that the bus came and saved us from the dilemma . The girls went in the bus,the guys went to another direction..don't know why they did not get in the bus with them, thanks god, we could never be able to strike there [Smile] . we were standing starring our first visit to England.

so I have never seen such a scene here in Egypt like that. just I don't think that Egyptian guys will be using such physical abuse, they might be flirting but not verbally or physically abusing. or it might be happening and no one says something about it.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
quote:

Then they giggled the little wimps and I yelled ANTA BEDDAN! They shut up real quick and stopped.

oh my god you're hilarious, i almost fell off my chair. i can't imagine a foreign woman saying something like beddan! but good for you! i can't imagine the look on their faces!
WHAT DOES ANTA BEDDAN MEAN????? [Confused]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

testicales [Wink]
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humanized     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL
you really know how to ask questions snoozin [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 817 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

the balls of a male,it means boring to the extent but it is not a nice word to use,
Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better Snoozin ask than Lobo .... LOL ... [Big Grin]
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

ROFL!!!! [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com