EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The Stupidest Question! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Stupidest Question!
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats the stupidest question you've ever been asked?

personally, when the US launched war on iraq, some guy i knew on icq asked me if i can hear the war from egypt? [Smile]

so guys any stupid questions you want to share?

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humanized     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when you are riding your car in the middle of no where and lost and asking for direction , like :
how can i g to down town
you get questions though you are asking questions. like this :
- are you lost (with a smile)
- how come you dont know down town?
and when finally find someone who could answer
he asks you : - are you going with a car or walking. ?

Posts: 817 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kafir 4ever
Member # 9556

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kafir 4ever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are no stupid questions just stupid people
Posts: 392 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they really blow up the Pentagon? We thought the American government just made that up.

(My Mexican friend).

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat:

personally, when the US launched war on iraq, some guy i knew on icq asked me if i can hear the war from egypt? [Smile]

THE STUPID question i have ever heared," why dont you get married Till NOW?"
BTW I Will be 22 yrs old next March.

Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humanized:
when you are riding your car in the middle of no where and lost and asking for direction , like :
how can i g to down town
you get questions though you are asking questions. like this :
- are you lost (with a smile)
- how come you dont know down town?
and when finally find someone who could answer
he asks you : - are you going with a car or walking. ?

you now what is even more stupid! when i'm lost (which is often) and i ask people for the directions, like for example, where is the horreya st? and they always ask, why what do you want to do there? i mean what difference does it make! im asking for the directions, not socializing!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Did they really blow up the Pentagon? We thought the American government just made that up.

(My Mexican friend).

are you seriouls?! [Confused]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Asooma:
quote:

THE STUPID question i have ever heared," why dont you get married Till NOW?"
BTW I Will be 22 yrs old next March.

yeah in egypt people ALWAYS have to make you feel that you are late for marriage [Mad]
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
are you seriouls?! [Confused]

Yeah, it surprised me. I don't know what television is like in Mexico, whether the government censors anything or not...but she is really well travelled and did a semester in Montreal (right after 9/11), which is where I met her...and her mom is American....

It was just an odd question to me. And slightly painful since I sat here and watched the black smoke for days.... [Frown]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
yeah in egypt people ALWAYS have to make you feel that you are late for marriage [Mad]

What if you are 38??? [Eek!] Actually, that's one thing about the U.S. I *really* like...nobody seems to care if you are unmarried... If I had been born 10 years earlier, I'm sure I would have had a lot more pressure.

P.S. Asooma, wait until you are *ready.* [Smile]

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

What if you are 38??? [Eek!] Actually, that's one thing about the U.S. I *really* like...nobody seems to care if you are unmarried... If I had been born 10 years earlier, I'm sure I would have had a lot more pressure.

well yeah its something i really hate about egypt and the arab culture. i always tell my friends that when ive travelled the past few years, people always say how young i am. i feel so old in egypt- people just expect too much to be done by a certain age!
daria1975
Member # 6244

I did find that Egyptian women seemed much more mature than American women...especially ones about 16-25...it was really intriguing to me.
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

My X-lover used to teache me this Motto. "Be Always Ready" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
the problem is not being "ready" the problem is to find some1 suitable for me, and this is diffucult nowadays. this means ydena wa ydekey tolet 2l 3omr keda"
it is an old says," May God let us live till long ages"

Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lover isn't the right word Ya Asoom... Edit then I edit [Smile]

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

How about ex-boyfriend?

*Lover* in the U.S. means you've been having sex. A boyfriend? Maybe. Maybe not. [Big Grin]

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How about ex-boyfriend?

*Lover* in the U.S. means you've been having sex. A boyfriend? Maybe. Maybe not. [Big Grin]

what good is a boy friend then? scraching your back? [Smile]
Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

do you have a pet camel when you were in Egypt? that was someone who was not kidding.?
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sora
Member # 8159

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend back home asked me whether I ride the camel to work..... This is so innocent rather than stupid...

The most stupidest question I ever heard was:
>>>>WHICH PART OF CHINA IS JAPAN>>>>>>>

Sora

Posts: 181 | From: By the River Nile - Cairo | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I did find that Egyptian women seemed much more mature than American women...especially ones about 16-25...it was really intriguing to me.

Oh Please...they do nothing but giggle to each other and gossip. The only damn thing they care about is if there hijab matches there whore style make-up and clothes and before they get married they complain and complain to mommy that the flat her fiance has for them is NOT up to her expectations. You just don't see them laughing and acting like 8 year olds....
Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
quote:
How about ex-boyfriend?

[Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many times I was asked by Egyptians "Are you from West or from East Germany"? What difference does it make? Back then both countries were already united....... [Confused]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asked once by an American pen-pal of mine "Do you wear the same clothes as we do?" Probably she thought the Greeks are stuck in antiquity and prefer togas and sandals [Eek!]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pink Lily:
Many times I was asked by Egyptians "Are you from West or from East Germany"? What difference does it make? Back then both countries were already united....... [Confused]

I've been asked this question in the States before Germany was united. So much for dumb questions ...
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are all the kangaroos? No joke, some tourist really expect them in the streets in the middle of Sydney!!!!????
Or-nahh..I ll be fine wont I? -the suns ok and I wanna get a tan( in the middle of the day on beach when everyone else goes home)
No you wont be fine! You will get skin cancer on account of the gaping bloody hole in the ozone layer mate!

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desolate_eyed_princess
Member # 9654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for desolate_eyed_princess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most funniest question i get asked is when I tell someone I have a twin BROTHER (me being female) and then they askme if we are identical?. Nearly everyone asks that question. [Big Grin]
Posts: 12 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:

I've been asked this question in the States before Germany was united. So much for dumb questions ... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Really, many Americans don't even know that there used to be two Germany's......

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the stupidest question has to be,

are you a muslim?
well duh? No i am just wearing hijab for fun!

How many camels did you have back in Iraq?
Hmm what should I answer to this?
Well you see, in the desert where I was born, we used to live in tents, and owned 20 camels, and lets not forget our adorable goat that gave us delicious milk every morning.
And they are like, REALLY?
I am like NOOOOOOOO!!

Do you eat dogs?
yeah, fried dogs with some ketchup, and a bit of cockroach fries on the side!

are you related to Taliban, (thats cause of my last name)
yeah you see he is my uncle, and I am forced to marry my cousin.
and they say, no are you forced to get married?????
And I am like, if you continue like this,
I am forced to kill you!!

do you eat with spoon?
No we use swords!

Are you a hindu?
yeah, thats exactly why I am wearing hijab!!

who is Saddam?
He is my mental retarded cousin!

I am just amazed that after all this, I still havent managed to kill anybody or myself!

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The silliest questions I am frequently asked, like Serendipity: Are you a Muslim? (This is often asked when people learn that I am from Britain, but I too wear hijab!)

Can you read Al-Fatihah yet? (An essential part of the prayer, and this is after they know I have been a Muslim for many years!)

And the strangest one, which has been asked more than once: Are you from Korea?!!! (I can accept Syria or Palestine as I wear hijab, but Korea!)

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Poor Seren and amazing how you handle these very ignorant questions. Please keep up your good sense of humor! [Wink]
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol Newcomer, You know the countries that they say I come from has so far included,

Turkey, Morocco, Spain, Syria, Lebanon, India, Pakistan, and even half norwegian and half pakistani/moroccan/turkey.

BUT never could they guess I was from Iraq! Not even the Iraqis themself!

How did they come across Korea???

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ngeg:

I know but find Nothing to write, I was very hesitating, what to call him, he was some1 I used to love wa bas … wont never call him my Boy Friend, of course cant call him Fiancé so 7`leha keda mash moshkela
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ngeg:

I know but find Nothing to write, I was very hesitating, what to call him, he was some1 I used to love very pure and clean love,wa bas … wont never call him my Boy Friend, of course cant call him Fiancé so 7`leha keda mash moshkela
Member # 6244

Member Rated:
posted 29 November, 2005 06:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about ex-boyfriend?

*Lover* in the U.S. means you've been having sex. A boyfriend? Maybe. Maybe not.

OMG, i wrote lover so as not to think that i used to have s** I'm Stupid [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
quote:
How about ex-boyfriend?

LOL! Wait til your kids are teens and you won't even let back scratching go on! [Wink]
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
Oh Please...they do nothing but giggle to each other and gossip. The only damn thing they care about is if there hijab matches there whore style make-up and clothes and before they get married they complain and complain to mommy that the flat her fiance has for them is NOT up to her expectations. You just don't see them laughing and acting like 8 year olds....

You're entitled to your opinion......me to mine.... [Roll Eyes]
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:

OMG, i wrote lover so as not to think that i used to have s** I'm Stupid [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You are not stupid! I'm just relaying what typical *American* usage is...I have no idea about anywhere else. [Wink]
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
In Norway you see its diff, If you call him ex bf that means you have done everything that is possible and not possible to do!

lover, is something which is very rarely here, which means you love them, real love.

While friends, between girls and boys, well that means you dont mind having sex once in a while as long as it doesnt involve anything more than that.

thats the norwegian version, updated 2005 [Big Grin]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Ah, so America is the exact opposite! [Big Grin]

It doesn't matter, Asooma. I assumed nothing but a pure, honest relationship between you and your ex-whatever-he-is. [Big Grin] All the rest is just a matter of words....

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
the new oxford dictionary update

Ex-Whateva [Big Grin]

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:

You're entitled to your opinion......me to mine.... [Roll Eyes]
Thank you Snoozin.Mowhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I conclude from the lady analysis that:
• We don’t care about Education including (reading…..)
• We don’t care about children.
• We don’t care about being healthy or not.
• We don’t care about Practicing Religion,(Especially for Christian it is very rare to find Christians orthodox who don’t go to church.|) “As religion nowadays is only damn appearance for Muslims.” according to her anaylsis
• We don’t care about art.
• We don’t care about sports.
y3ney , we care about Nothing.
Yeah I admit sometimes I hangout gossiping with my friends, may be once a week what’s her problem? I care about my appearance, I think I have to wear matches clothes otherwise I will be like a clown. I Really hate stereotyping...

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
well the stupidest question has to be,

are you a muslim?
well duh? No i am just wearing hijab for fun!

How many camels did you have back in Iraq?
Hmm what should I answer to this?
Well you see, in the desert where I was born, we used to live in tents, and owned 20 camels, and lets not forget our adorable goat that gave us delicious milk every morning.
And they are like, REALLY?
I am like NOOOOOOOO!!

Do you eat dogs?
yeah, fried dogs with some ketchup, and a bit of cockroach fries on the side!

are you related to Taliban, (thats cause of my last name)
yeah you see he is my uncle, and I am forced to marry my cousin.
and they say, no are you forced to get married?????
And I am like, if you continue like this,
I am forced to kill you!!

do you eat with spoon?
No we use swords!

Are you a hindu?
yeah, thats exactly why I am wearing hijab!!

who is Saddam?
He is my mental retarded cousin!

I am just amazed that after all this, I still havent managed to kill anybody or myself!

oh my god serene this is hilarious! [Wink]
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My EX-lover(my ex-WHATEVER [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ) used to teache me this Motto. "Be Always Ready" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
the problem is not being "ready" the problem is to find some1 suitable for me, and this is diffucult nowadays. this means ydena wa ydekey tolet 2l 3omr keda"
it is an old says," May God let us live till long ages"

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:

Ex-Whateva [Big Grin]

I love it! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the most stupid thing i used to hear was from patients in egypt on a daily basis, and although it wasn't exactly a question i thought it was stupid enough to be mentioned here:

a patient comes to my clinic and addresses me in my white gown saying " laaw sama7t ya bashmohandiz; i have pain in bla bla bla.."

and the translation to those who don't know arabic is: excuse me "Mr chief engineer", i have pain is bla bla bla..

now what was i supposed to say to such person?

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
the most stupid thing i used to hear was from patients in egypt on a daily basis, and although it wasn't exactly a question i thought it was stupid enough to be mentioned here:

a patient comes to my clinic and addresses me in my white gown saying " laaw sama7t ya bashmohandiz; i have pain in bla bla bla.."

and the translation to those who don't know arabic is: excuse me "Mr chief engineer", i have pain is bla bla bla..

now what was i supposed to say to such person?

ya sedey nas 3`alaba moot, un-educated, btw sometimes they call me Dr. [Razz] [Razz] although I'm Not maybe beacuse my sister is a Doctor and we have the same style, so they thought it doesnt matter. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
MousseT
Member # 9226

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MousseT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The most stupid question I received came from a colleague of mine from Jackson (Mississippi). She asked me: "Do you Italians have a fridge at home?" I answered "Yes, and also the cell phone, the car and the DVD player". She was flabbergasted.....
Posts: 285 | From: Milano, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sometimes they call me Dr. [Razz] [Razz] although I'm Not maybe beacuse my sister is a Doctor and we have the same style

No, they do that because it's a common Egyptian way of addressing an educated female.
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
quote:
sometimes they call me Dr. [Razz] [Razz] although I'm Not maybe beacuse my sister is a Doctor and we have the same style

No, they do that because it's a common Egyptian way of addressing an educated female.
exactly, and to adress a seemingly educated male is "bashmohandiz", and BTW.. it's not only the poor and uneducated who practice this, many are fairly educated others are nouveaux riches.

it's just the subsequences of the transformation in the egyptian society.. he who was called affandi before is now called: "ya 7agg" even if he's not a pilgrim or even a christian, he who was a bek they call him now "ya bashmohandiz" even if he was a doctor or lawyer, she who was a hanem is now called "ya doctora" even if she was a belly dancer, he who was a pacha is no more now and any low rank army or police officer nowadays is called a pacha by intimidated citizens!

wahi mashia.. wi kolloo 3and el3arab saboon!

daria1975
Member # 6244

If I live there, can I just be called Snoozin? [Big Grin]

Actually, everyone calls me Suzie there...is Susan too weird to Egyptians? [Smile]

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
susan is very normal, remember our first lady: susan mubarak?

but if you live here you'll be called ubla snoozin [Big Grin]

daria1975
Member # 6244

what is *ubla?*

[Confused]

always?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com