EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Questions for Ze Germans!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions for Ze Germans!
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the silly thread, but I would really appreciate an answer from a native German lady.

You see, every year my husband's extended family celebrates Christmas in the south of Germany in a real Bavarian village.

Every time I'm there, I have noticed how much they try their best to make me feel at home by explaining things to me about the celebrations around Christmas and the Bavarian culture in general. Not all of them are from there by the way. My husband is from Hamburg, anyway..

So this year I want to surprise them by showing up to the Xmas dinners wearing something like a Dirndl or a Lederhose. (I know you're either puking or ROFL right now, anyway)

So I've been cruising through my mounatin of Burda's and I found two styles, one Bavarian and one Austrian kind of Dirndls, as the text in the magazine explains. Now I think the "Austrian" models suit me more.

So I have 4 questions:

1- Would they notice that it's not Bavarian? Or are the designs very similar between Austria & Germany?
2- Do you know any good websites to help me learn more about Bavarian costumes?
3- Can a woman wear Lederhosen? I don't want to look like a clown if I did wear one. (We have two dinners so I want two costumes).
4- What's a Tyrolean jacket?!

Thanks

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatshepsut
Member # 4664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatshepsut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well .... i'm not bavarian - so the real bavarian stuff i can't answer, but i'll try to help :

- YES - bavarian and austrian models are different!!!!!! and if they are inot it, they will notice and not like it at all....

- YES - you will be the clown with lederhosen!!!

- websites?? gonna call somebody bavarian and tell you later....

- tyrolean jacket?? i just can guess - they are having a special way of this folklore things in tirol - again : bavarian's will not like the idea...

hope that helps - if i find out more, i'm gonna tell you D-)

Posts: 127 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatshepsut:
well .... i'm not bavarian - so the real bavarian stuff i can't answer, but i'll try to help :

- YES - bavarian and austrian models are different!!!!!! and if they are inot it, they will notice and not like it at all....

- YES - you will be the clown with lederhosen!!!

- websites?? gonna call somebody bavarian and tell you later....

- tyrolean jacket?? i just can guess - they are having a special way of this folklore things in tirol - again : bavarian's will not like the idea...

hope that helps - if i find out more, i'm gonna tell you D-)

Thank you so much Hatshepsut!

Waiting for part II!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MK, it's time for an intervention! [Eek!]

[Wink]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
MK, it's time for an intervention! [Eek!]

[Wink]

[Razz]
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
So I have 4 questions:

1- Would they notice that it's not Bavarian? Or are the designs very similar between Austria & Germany?
2- Do you know any good websites to help me learn more about Bavarian costumes?
3- Can a woman wear Lederhosen? I don't want to look like a clown if I did wear one. (We have two dinners so I want two costumes).
4- What's a Tyrolean jacket?!

Thanks

ROFL!!!

I don't think anyone but native Bavarians wear Dirndls, to me it's more like a costume and I wouldn't want to be caught dead wearing one.

I think the traditional Bavarian Lederhosen make men look like clowns anyway. No, I wouldn't wear them as a women, you'll look ridiculous. Sorry. [Smile]

That said, I had one when I was very little and loved them because they were so durable and I could climb trees and rob on the floor with them.

A Tyrolian jacket? My guess would be it's a jacket from Tirol (Austria). Probably worn with a Dirndl?!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just picked out one website selling Bavarian costumes.

http://www.moschen-bayern.de/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.moschen-bayern.de/index.html

Why don't you get in contact with them to ask specific questions? But I don't think women wear this kind of leather pants. But teach me if I'm wrong.

I lived and worked only for four weeks in Munich, beautiful city and I went up to Garmisch-Partenkirchen on vacation but I am really not into their traditional fashion style either.

What's worse than the Dirndl is the music so-called "Blasmusik".

Anyway, have a wonderful Christmas - whatever you might going to wear!

And please post a pic of you in a Dirndl, can't wait to see you dressed up like that! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
I don't think anyone but native Bavarians wear Dirndls, to me it's more like a costume and I wouldn't want to be caught dead wearing one.

Oh yeah I know that. I mean even my Bavarian in-laws wouldn't be caught dead weraing them either. But I just thought it would be funny to have an African like me wearing one! I hope no racists in the restaurant where we'll be eating would make any comments on that.

quote:
I think the traditional Bavarian Lederhosen make men look like clowns anyway. No, I wouldn't wear them as a women, you'll look ridiculous. Sorry. [Smile]

So how come those ones are for women then?
http://www.salzburg-trachtenmode.at/content/forstenlechner_lederhosen_nach_mass.htm

First time I was in that village (Garmisch Parten Kirchen) I was sitting next to a man wearing the whole thing including thie strange hat with a feather on it. I turned to him and asked him if it was Carnival time already. [Eek!]

I swear I didn't know he was bloody serious!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I just picked out one website selling Bavarian costumes.

http://www.moschen-bayern.de/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.moschen-bayern.de/index.html

Why don't you get in contact with them to ask specific questions? But I don't think women wear this kind of leather pants. But teach me if I'm wrong.

I lived and worked only for four weeks in Munich, beautiful city and I went up to Garmisch-Partenkirchen on vacation but I am really not into their traditional fashion style either.

What's worse than the Dirndl is the music so-called "Blasmusik".

Anyway, have a wonderful Christmas - whatever you might going to wear!

And please post a pic of you in a Dirndl, can't wait to see you dressed up like that! [Smile]

Wow what a nice website Tigerlily, thanks alot.

To be honest I don't mind the music because it's a one package deal with the yummy food they serve in that Bavarian restaurant. I mean after Abul-Seed of Cairo, I've never eaten such good food in my life!

I will sure make pictures. But I didn't know you can post them here. How can you do that?

Great Xmas for you too.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
]So how come those ones are for women then?
http://www.salzburg-trachtenmode.at/content/forstenlechner_lederhosen_nach_mass.htm

Nope. Those are for men. [Cool]

Yummy food in Bavarian restaurants??? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Nope. Those are for men. [Cool]

Oh! [Confused]

What a bunch of homos! [Big Grin]

quote:
Yummy food in Bavarian restaurants??? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Yes! I can't believe that myself! But it's only that restaurant's menu that I'm talking about.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com