EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » classical music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: classical music
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How popular (or unpopular) is Western classical music in Egypt?

Beethoven
Bach
Mozart
Clementi
Haydn

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know
But I loooove Satie and Debussy, but especially Satie
Is that popular?

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin are you thinking about some wedding music?
Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweety how are you doing? long time since i heard from you.
well let me just tell you a small secret about me
I loooove classical music.
you know some ppll share sport interest with their father, i share classic music with him:)

Even though i love the sound of the Arabic Nay.
But from the western instrument Clarinet is my fave.

you know that in the old days, I mean back in Om kolthoums time, arabs were very facinated with classical music.
you can notice that when you listen to Om Kolthoum or Abdel Halim.
You will find one of the worlds greatest classical pieces in that time.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have never heard of Satie -- thanks Melati -- something to check out next time I'm in the music store...

Seren -- how are *you?* I need to try some of Om Kothoum's stuff, too....or Adbel Halim (never heard, but that's not unusual for me). I would love to hear/discover, Western classical music's influence on them...

I love classical music, too. Grew up playing the piano. I like classical more than baroque or romantic....

Here is DC's local classical radio station -- they play classical pretty much commerical-free and they are on line, so if you want, you can listen anywhere...I listen at work all day.

http://www.wgms.com/

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zam05
Member # 9771

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zam05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is in Egypt like everywhere, it depends on the age and the standard of education.
At least I know the older ones of my colleagues and friends in Egypt are listening to Mozart and Beethoven, also to music of Johann Strauß, because they asked me for buying some CD's of them in Germany.

Posts: 39 | From: Germany | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
If you get a chance please check out Erik Saties Nocturne. Its just so lovely.
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
How popular (or unpopular) is Western classical music in Egypt?

Not very popular I'm afraid.

I have a friend who is into classical music but he has a hard time finding CDs in Egypt. I think Sara is right, though, that classical music might be popular with educated people from the older generation ...

quote:
Well, I have never heard of Satie -- thanks Melati -- something to check out next time I'm in the music store...

I love Satie! [Smile]
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin, if you move to Cairo I am sure you will become a regular at the Opera House there.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Snoozin, if you move to Cairo I am sure you will become a regular at the Opera House there.

LOL! That sounds wonderful if I can find someone to go with! I don't think my fiance would be caught dead somewhere like that...

He listens almost exclusively to American country music! A bizarre thing to be out driving on a Saturday night, next to a guy with a thick Egyptian accent singing along to the radio.... *The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal...* [Razz]

LOL! [Smile]

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Melati:
If you get a chance please check out Erik Saties Nocturne. Its just so lovely.

I found 5 nocturnes by him....is there a particular one that is most popular? Although I'm listening to Nocturne I and it is great! [Smile]

Wow, I love it when I learn about something new. Thanks again! [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think my fiance would be caught dead somewhere like that...

He listens almost exclusively to American country music! A bizarre thing to be out driving on a Saturday night, next to a guy with a thick Egyptian accent singing along to the radio.... *The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal...* [Razz]

LOL! [Smile]

That's indeed a little strange but quite funny at the same time. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Is there much classical music being performed in the Opera House?

I thought it was purely for Opera and theater productions?

Here's their hyperlink:

http://www.cairooperahouse.org/opera_home_english.aspx?lang=en-US

This is a nice feature list of the opera house:

The Music Library, situated on the Cairo Opera House grounds, offers local and international information sources about subjects such as opera, symphony, ballet, Arab music, and Cultural Opera Salons and Panel Discussions and many others aspects.

Records, CDs, videotapes, cassette tapes, books, magazines, slides, and brochures are also available on-site.

An audiovisual room is accessible to the public, subscriptions are not required.

General Rules

Recording of concerts performed at the Opera House is only possible, if authorised by the management
Recording with cassette tapes £E 10.- (students 5.-)
Recording with video cassette £E 20.- (students 10.-)
Borrowing of books, cassettes etc. is not possible
No food or drinks inside the library
Personal belongings must be left at reception
Use of library £E 1.-/day, no annual fees

Okay this might be my chill out place!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
I love country music too LOL.
I really like that lilt thing they do when they sing.
And I like how its all so dramatic and heartbreakin.But ittl all be fine in the end.
I like that song mendocino county line? I dont even know who sings it!!
Im glad you liked Satie. The first nocturne is usually the most popular/well known.

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
classical music kicks ass!!
bach has to be the man, u cant beat those bass notes lol
for those who like classical music and havent seen the movie "amadeus" go see it its one of my fav. movies of all time im sure anyone who has seen it will agree

Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Melati:
I love country music too LOL.
I really like that lilt thing they do when they sing.
And I like how its all so dramatic and heartbreakin.But ittl all be fine in the end.
I like that song mendocino county line? I dont even know who sings it!!
Im glad you liked Satie. The first nocturne is usually the most popular/well known.

That would be Willie Nelson and LeeAnn Womack.

Is country popular in Australia? We've got Keith Urban running around here these days you know. [Smile]

I grew up on country, so it's not too painful listening to it with fiance....just weird. Cool! I thought, when I met him! I will learn about all sorts of Arabic pop music and stuff like that....nope. Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, and Boxcar Willie of all people! [Wink]

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by pablowablo:
for those who like classical music and havent seen the movie "amadeus" go see it its one of my fav. movies of all time im sure anyone who has seen it will agree

And the soundtrack to *Immortal Beloved* is great, too! [Smile]
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I cannot see you sitting through one producation, just one show at the Cairo Opera House.

I'd bet my rent to see it sit through a performance, properly dressed and in good manners.

I decide if its good enough.

It would be hilarious. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Is there much classical music being performed in the Opera House?

Oh yes there is. I am not at all into classical music (R & B is still more my thing [Wink] ) but once I went with my ex to a ballet performance of "Swan Lake". You know he was driving by at the Opera House millions of times but never went inside. To cut the story short, he found it very "interesting" and I think we left at the first break.

By the way, I knew couple of musicians who were from Russia and Bulgaria who made a living with performing at the Opera House.

And I met many other interesting people there, like always a bunch of German teachers or people from the Embassy (incl. the Secret Service [Wink] ).

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
We've got Keith Urban running around here these days you know.

Isn't that the guy who's dating Nicole Kidman right now?
daria1975
Member # 6244

Yup!

Rumor has it she's pregnant. [Wink]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Yup!

Rumor has it she's pregnant. [Wink]

Really? Well it must be hard for her that her ex moved on, is becoming a father soon and getting married again. I think she never really gotten over Tom.

Btw, in the news today, Gwen Stefani is pregnant too. Her baby is due next June. I am very happy for her. Her music is pretty cool.

Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Ah..Keith Urban-nice sweet aussie boy.
Nicole Kidman-iya.
Her dad is a pschiatrist/psychologist here in sydney-dr anthony kidman.We sometimes go to his conferences through work.He does a good one on anxiety management for teenagers, and accepting theirselves.( ties in with some of our clients..always on the lookout for useful strategies)
Could this be the reason Mr Tom Cruise is so anti psychiatrists?? LOL. Never liked the look of that Tom Cruise to be honest.Bipolar anyone?????
Country music is quite big here Snooz. We have the Tamworth Festival. Do you know Casey Chambers?
Shes a little bit country little bit pop.
Also the Kransky Sisters-actually they are not really country but they are very arty and amusing and talented.

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I cannot see you sitting through one producation, just one show at the Cairo Opera House.

I'd bet my rent to see it sit through a performance, properly dressed and in good manners.

ofcourse u cant see me doin it u dont know what i look like n if can sit thru my gf stupid soap operas i can manage to sit thru a real live opera in fact i wud quite enjoy it its on my "to do" list
Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

ofcourse u cant see me doin it u dont know what i look like n if can sit thru my gf stupid soap operas i can manage to sit thru a real live opera in fact i wud quite enjoy it its on my "to do" list
hmmm...

Classical music is not anywhere near a soap opera.

Yet I still don't think you could manage to get through a classical music performance without embarassing yourself or remaining sober. [Roll Eyes]

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

hmmm...

Classical music is not anywhere near a soap opera.

Yet I still don't think you could manage to get through a classical music performance without embarassing yourself or remaining sober. [Roll Eyes]

lol maybe u do know me with the whole sobber thing lol
no but i would honestly love to go to an opera i have a great pasion for music in all forms and i can respect and admire all the hard work that goes into writting/performing something like that

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com