EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Help Stop Sexual Harassment, in Egypt (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help Stop Sexual Harassment, in Egypt
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help Stop Sexual Harassment!

Our Campaign

Sexual harassment on the streets of Egypt is a growing problem. Harassment takes many forms, all sharing the basic tone of aggression and causing the target to feel violated or unsafe. In recent months, ECWR has received a huge volume of complaints from women in Egypt, both Egyptian and foreign, who face a daily and sometimes overwhelming barrier to accomplishing the simplest tasks because they must face varying levels of intimidation, stalking, indecent exposure or other violent acts almost every time they leave their home.

It is clear to us that this problem has become very serious and it is increasing in frequency and in intensity. We cannot be silent on this issue any longer.

It is time for both women and men to speak out against harassment and claim their right to walk in their own streets without fear.

ECWR has begun preparing a campaign against the sexual harassment of women that will target:
The Egyptian media and general public with a public awareness campaign to move this discussion out of our living rooms and into the public space and to convince journalists and the public to start treating the issue as a serious problem
The Ministry of the Interior with an advocacy campaign based on real women's stories about the sexual harassment they face to convince the Ministry to make the police enforce existing laws against sexual harassment
The Ministry of Education with proposed sensitizing curriculum for use in schools, including booklets teaching children how to tell "good touch" from "bad touch" and what to do if someone violates them

We will hold a press conference to officially launch our program in January.

But we need your help! We are basing our project on your stories to help us understand and document the problem, analyze it and find the right actions to fight it. And after we collect as many stories from as many women as possible, we will use them to prove our case and pressure the government and media to address this problem.

Please help us by sending your stories now!

Send as many stories as you want - and tell your friends to send theirs too. We need as many stories as possible to make this campaign work. You can remain anonymous or make up a false name, but please try to give as much information as possible. The form takes 5 minutes to fill out, so please download it now and email it to ecwr@link.net. And remember to report new incidents as they happen – our success depends on you!

http://www.ecwregypt.org/English/harassment.htm

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto,

If I am in Cairo at the same time as you, I pledge my promise not to sexually harass you.

Can't promise the same elsewhere.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i say we blow everyone up and start from scratch n we only let some people worth a damn live
ofcourse im the one that decides that
how about that for a solution
hate to say it but its the only real solution that can promise results
n for those that dont make the list what can i say? **** happens

Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Pablo, i don't know if the word "blow" it's suitable on a sexual harassment topic, but it's "up" to you.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope that you know i'm joking.... [Smile]
Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pablowablo:
i say we blow everyone up and start from scratch n we only let some people worth a damn live

Ah, how cute, the man who can't get married blows his cool! [Eek!] [Razz]
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sadeeqy:
Well, Pablo, i don't know if the word "blow" it's suitable on a sexual harassment topic, but it's "up" to you.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

lol nice one
yeah i agree bad choice of words

Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:
Originally posted by pablowablo:

Ah, how cute, the man who can't get married blows his cool! [Eek!] [Razz]
cant get married! where the hell did that come from lol
i dont know what weird drug ur on! but all i have to say is : pass that ****!

Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Thanks very much for your email. I couldn't open the link though. I'm not sure what you can do to help, since you don't live in Egypt, but if you know anyone who does, perhaps you can spread the word about our campaign and the questionnaire to them. Also, if you have ideas for in kind services you could provide, that would also be helpful since we started the project before we got funding and are running competely on volunteer effort right now. Thanks again for your interest.

Best regards,

International Relations Officer
The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights
135 Misr-Helwan El Zeraay
2nd Floor, Suite 3
Hadayak El Maadi, Cairo
Egypt

E-mail: ecwr@link.net
www.ecwregypt.org
www.fourliteracies.org
www.awfarab.org "

DownloadHarassment Fact Sheet.doc

Download:Harassment Form - Arabic.doc

Download: Harassment Form - English (1).doc

Download: Harassment Form - English.doc

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks might want to think twice about downloading any of those forms -- they are from www.egypttpyge.com. They might be perfectly safe. Or they might not.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The People:

http://gnuix.com/ammar/wp-content/Sign.jpg
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

oh my god this is so funny? is it real? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

oh my god this is so funny? is it real? [Big Grin]
Yes [Cool]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now as I won't name names, I won't be breaking any confidence, but this complaint landed on my desk this week:

We have just returned from a Cruise on the Nile and both my wife and I are very very angry at the sexual harassment my wife was exposed to.

She was innocently sunbathing topless on the sun deck of the boat when she became aware that there was someone looking at her. One of the staff just stood there and smiled. We asked him what he wanted and he just continued to smile. This continued the entire week with more members of staff standing ogling my wife.

We were not told that she could not go topless!

Honestly the above is true and I have to diplomatically respond to this load of garbage.

No-one told them? Good grief, I don't suppose anyone told them how to cross the road either!

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
Now as I won't name names, I won't be breaking any confidence, but this complaint landed on my desk this week:

We have just returned from a Cruise on the Nile and both my wife and I are very very angry at the sexual harassment my wife was exposed to.

She was innocently sunbathing topless on the sun deck of the boat when she became aware that there was someone looking at her. One of the staff just stood there and smiled. We asked him what he wanted and he just continued to smile. This continued the entire week with more members of staff standing ogling my wife.

Honestly the above is true and I have to diplomatically respond to this load of garbage.

No-one told them? Good grief, I don't suppose anyone told them how to cross the road either!

innocently sunbathing topless? in egypt? and she was surprised that the staff were ogling her? [Eek!]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Auto,

If I am in Cairo at the same time as you, I pledge my promise not to sexually harass you.

Can't promise the same elsewhere.

How can i be so trivial in answering such an important issue? This is the exact type of attitude that makes me feel uncomfortable, because you never know how what someone would do if he was feeling sexually attracted to you.
Really i know it's nice to laugh but when i began to become older it made me realise i would be able to defend myself against someone attacking me. I know you must be trivial enough to allow yourself this type of behaviour sonomod and i envy for this, but please don't joke with this type of topic.

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Please Semsema tell me that these people were not Germans! This is just hilarious! [Big Grin] How ignorant are these people? Are they illiterate and can't peek inside a lonely planet guide before boarding the flight to Egypt? [Confused]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily, I swear this was a genuine complaint. No they were not German but British! Of course the final thing is, they were asking for compensation! Not while I'm in this job they aint. You would not believe some of the things the tourists write in about, I could write a book.

Did you know that in a certain part of Sharm el Sheikh the water is only 35mm deep? This pair obviously had never heard of tides.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder how he measured it? with his penis perhaps... "it doesnt touch the sand dear, it must be deeper than 30mm" .... "well, when i lay my hand flat on the bottom, the cubic zirconia in my engagement ring still sticks out of the water and my fat fingers are 40mm thick"... "i know, your big nose sticks out 35mm from your face, lie down on your front, if you drown we have our depth"!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

ya, Sem..... I agree with them completely!!! these Egyptians don't know when to stop!!!
When I stand naked on my balcony naked, hanging out my washing, I often get negative comments from the Egyptians passing by!!! I figured it was maybe because my boobs have seen better years..... !!!!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its that or they are calling your clothes
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this all comes from living in the middle east ,after 20 years they will get use to it .just like the spanish did
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
quote:

ya, Sem..... I agree with them completely!!! these Egyptians don't know when to stop!!!
When I stand naked on my balcony naked, hanging out my washing, I often get negative comments from the Egyptians passing by!!! I figured it was maybe because my boobs have seen better years..... !!!!!!

This hasn't got nothing to do with egypt, it's a universal matter . Do you remember the story of this french president caught naked on his balcony?

this sends to murphy's law of probability: the chance of being seen increases the more stupid the mistake is.

Now to come back to the topic; i was enjoying a beer at the CFCC and for no reason some guys wanted to show me their knowledge.
I hooked up a stupid girl but she was so confused...like she had typhus or something.
The girl was so crazy i had to go home and think.
How can you prevent sexual harassment when there are freak like those running around.

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then maybe you should have gone on holiday to Ibiza, so your wife could have innocently sunbathing topless without being harassed.

Just next time twice before choosing your holiday’s destination [Smile]

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Sharia were instituted for harassment, does this mean that the offending part wil be cut off?
hand, tongue or other member! Interesting!

bahlay!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nanouk
Member # 10384

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nanouk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yazid904:
Does this mean that the offending part wil be cut off?
hand, tongue or other member! Interesting!

bahlay!

Remember to dismember the member [Razz]
Posts: 143 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i miss it sometimes... not sure if thats healthy??!!!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Tigerlily*:
Please Semsema tell me that these people were not Germans!

I was thinking exactly the same! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you want to Stop Sexual Harassment!

you should respect the morals of the egyptian people.

most Egyptian people are a conservative community.

Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you respect their morals and still get harrassed?
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by islamonfocus.com:
if you want to Stop Sexual Harassment!

you should respect the morals of the egyptian people.

most Egyptian people are a conservative community.

Are you saying that Egyptian women don't respect the morals of the Egyptian community?
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Are you saying that Egyptian women don't respect the morals of the Egyptian community?
Who said that???? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia_06:
What if you respect their morals and still get harrassed?

Don't tell me, you got hacked too [Big Grin]
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

1- Egyptian women are being harassed.
2- islamfocus said: "if you want to Stop Sexual Harassment! you should respect the morals of the Egyptian people."

You add 1 and 2 together and you get:

If Egyptian women want to stop sexual harassment against them, all they have to do is respect the morals of the Egyptian people.

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2- islamfocus said: "if you want to Stop Sexual Harassment! you should respect the morals of the Egyptian people."

If Egyptian women want to stop sexually harassment against them, all they have to do is respect the morals of the Egyptian people.

wait a minute there, if they respect the morals of the egyptian people it means that they have to accept to be harrassed and it seems quite meaningless finally.
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Learner:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If Egyptian women want to stop sexually harassment against them, all they have to do is respect the morals of the Egyptian people.

wait a minute there, if they respect the morals of the egyptian people it means that they have to accept to be harrassed and it seems quite meaningless finally.
easy
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

easy
but the harrassement can't be beared by all women, which brings us to an alternative:

either the egyptians women adapts themselves

either they deperish from being harrassed or keep in a standby mode they don't really care for.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:

No. [Big Grin]

I changed my password a few days ago and was told my profile was edited, but then couldn't get into my account any more.
[Mad] [Frown]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

No. [Big Grin]

I changed my password a few days ago and was told my profile was edited, but then couldn't get into my account any more.
[Mad] [Frown]

Yes, I was wondering too if it would be THAT Dalia. I didn't really understand what happened to your account? Actually I can't change the password myself as it is get forwarded to me by the admins. So how come?

Oh, I just checked again it's possible. So you wanted to have a 100% safe-prooved password and locked yourself out during the same time.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Of sex and other demons

"Thank God someone's asking, at last..." Such is the standard response of young women queried about being harassed on the streets. "It happens every time I leave the house," Yasmine, an Ain Shams University student, complains. "Just because you're a woman, you can't walk the streets in peace -- it's humiliating."

Mariham, an 18-year-old American University in Cairo (AUC) psychology student, is similarly frustrated. "I have no car, and it's impossible to walk anywhere without being harassed," she says. To establish her point, Mariham recounts a particularly telling episode: "I was walking along the sidewalk minding my own business when suddenly I found myself surrounded by seven young men -- who started badgering and eventually hitting me. When I finally managed to escape I realised that a whole family had been sitting in a Mercedes within sight of it all, and had not bothered to do anything about it. So I went up to the man and I said, 'If you saw your daughter being treated this way, would you stay around happily in your car and take no action?'" Ten minutes later, that same day, Mariham was harassed by a security guard.

According to Crime rates in Egypt: a comparative study, a book-length report published by the National Centre for Social and Criminological Research in 2000, 91.9 per cent of the women interviewed (the research team worked with a representative sample of 542 women) suffered sexual harassment on the street. In another, more recent survey, undertaken by the New Woman Research Centre, every woman out of 400 interviewed suffered one or more forms of harassment. Harassment is defined in terms of certain modes of behaviour. In the latter survey this includes, among other things, offensive comments (45.1 per cent) and unsolicited physical contact (37.5 per cent). Fear of rape on the street is one of several side effects of harassment, which 39 per cent of the women displayed. In the same survey 70 per cent of the men interviewed (100) expressed the same fear concerning their female relations, an indication of the fact that men are even more conscious of harassment than women.

It can be argued that harassment, even rape, are not necessarily a function of the victim's behaviour or dress code, as is often claimed, since the very men who argue that it is a woman's attitude that results in her being harassed would not question the attitudes of their own relations.

The malaise in which harassment is rooted is even more difficult to make sense of. Many explain harassment in terms of economic dispossession -- poverty and unemployment -- but just as many make an equally relevant point about gendered attitudes and patriarchal society. Men need to prove their masculinity, demonstrating their belief in convention at a time when society does not accept any manifestation of difference. "Sexual frustration, unemployment and poverty lead to drugs," Ali Fahmy, a sociologist and legal consultant, opines. "This makes young men act violently, often irrationally -- which explains why harassment is more of a problem today than it used to be in the past."

The views of Maha, a Misr International University (MIU) student who wears hijab, would seem to corroborate this line of thinking: "I think men harass to prove that they are masculine and macho, and it's also why they smoke and drink." Samah, another Ain Shams University student who wears hijab , agrees: "Men are crazy. They'll get their frustration out on any girl they pass. It doesn't matter whether that girl is liberated or conservative, good- or bad- looking." Others put forth variations on this basic argument. "A lot of men are sexually frustrated," Inji, a 6 October University student, argues, "a lot of the time because they can't afford to marry. What they fail to remember is that the girls they take it out on are victims of the same dilemma."

For their part the perpetrators express a disturbing perspective. Hossam, for one male MIU student, holds the view that it is normal for men to want to harass women -- even if he does not readily admit that it should be called harassment. "When I comment on how beautiful you are I am not harassing you," Hatem, a Ain Shams University student, contends. "I am merely stating an opinion."

Some even believe that it is the women who want to be harassed. "If a girl meets a man and he does not flirt with her, she will see him as weak and unmanly -- she won't want him," Ashraf, a medical student at MIU, argues. One group of students observed in action at the Ain Shams University campus are not embarrassed when asked about their behaviour. "What do you mean why -- it's just for fun," Ahmed, their spokesman, says. "Of course," he adds quickly, "a good girl should ignore these comments. Laughing, even smiling in response are go-ahead signals, the same as saying, 'I like what you're doing'."
According to Ashraf, the way a girl responds to harassment affords a key to her character. The young man postulates three kinds of reaction, corresponding to three character types: "those who react quickly, revealing weakness ('what do you want?' for example); those who give a daring answer that shows a strong personality; and those who ignore you."

The women interviewed by Al-Ahram Weekly had by and large only one message to communicate, however: "Leave us alone." Many resort to a variety of methods -- wearing long, loose skirts or trousers, tying up their hair, even taking up hijab -- to avoid harassment. Yet all their efforts seem to be in vain.

Sarah, another AUC student, approaches the issue with a different mindset altogether. "Harassment has nothing to do with clothes, social class, looks or anything else," she says. "Men are sexually frustrated, many are jobless." Her argument is that, the more dispossessed the men, the more harassment they perpetrate; in her own experience the worst harassment has tended to come from blue-collar workers on campus. Nawla Darwish, a New Woman Research Centre activist, questions this view, however: "Upper-class women may provoke the poor who also suffer sexual frustration. But are the poor the only harassers? Don't upper-class youngsters harass and even rape?"

Whether upper- or working-class, few people are aware of the existence of a law against molesting women "in a manner offending their modesty by words or deeds on a public road", with penalties including up to one year's imprisonment and a range of fines from LE200 to LE1,000. "No witnesses are required for legal action," Tareq El- Awadi, a lawyer, explained. "The problem is that it is often difficult to drag the man in question to a police station, or to persuade the police to help you."

Concealing an urge to laugh, one policeman, on duty outside the AUC main campus, demonstrates the extent of that difficulty. "Security forces are not responsible for harassment," he says. "I've seen a lot of harassment, but I never interfered." He even admits that policemen themselves harass women, lamenting the fact that "it can only be done verbally because policemen cannot leave their posts."

Not that the vast majority of Egyptians would want to hold a perpetrator legally accountable. "When I was young, I used to scream and cry," Sherine, a Cairo University student, says. "Now I just don't react. I don't want to be at the centre of a scandal. I've learned my lesson by now: to react is bad for my reputation."

Source

Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
quote:
Of sex and other demons

I realised that a whole family had been sitting in a Mercedes within sight of it all, and had not bothered to do anything about it.

quote:

Whether upper- or working-class, few people are aware of the existence of a law against molesting women "in a manner offending their modesty by words or deeds on a public road", with penalties including up to one year's imprisonment and a range of fines from LE200 to LE1,000. "No witnesses are required for legal action," Tareq El- Awadi, a lawyer, explained. "The problem is that it is often difficult to drag the man in question to a police station, or to persuade the police to help you."

Dalia*
Member # 10593

The point about policemen is true – they are more likely to join in the harassment or sneer at you than to help.
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mac0623:
this all comes from living in the middle east ,after 20 years they will get use to it .just like the spanish did

that is it !!! but they will need less than this , let us say 10 years , the last 10 years they were trying to get along with the bikini
Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
My post was meant to show just how stupid some tourists can be. Yes some men will try and talk to me but it is amazing what a change comes to their faces when I immediately stop, turn round go back to them and ask them if they would talk to an Egyptian woman in that way. Inevitably I get a 'sorry Madame'.

Why do some women show a total lack of respect for the country they are visiting. Why do some men also show a total lack of respect. It is not nice to see a grossly overweight guy, with his huge belly only being kept in place by his overtight trousers/shorts, strutting his bare chest/belly in the streets!

--------------------
Whitelily

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by *Tigerlily*:
Yes, I was wondering too if it would be THAT Dalia. I didn't really understand what happened to your account? Actually I can't change the password myself as it is get forwarded to me by the admins. So how come?

Sorry, I didn't express myself properly ...

I know you can request a new password and have it forwarded to you. But the e-mail address I used when registering in this forum more than three years ago isn't working anymore.

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
now, ive avoided this subject because i (personally) think women seem to be over sensitive to this. yes ive read some 'over the line stuff' but is it really 'sexual harassment'?

be careful you dont get that line brought so far forward that you end up diluting the far end of the scale.

i (personally) had a few little incidents in sharm, but i dealt with each situation with a bit of humour and their friends ended up laughing at them... by the end of two weeks everyone knew me... i make a point to always engage in conversation and crack a joke with all the shop keepers, waiters, taxi drivers or whoever, wherever i am. once they knew i was like that they were great to me!

they say dogs can smell fear...

its all about social skills... where someone else lacks them, its up to me to compensate!

i read about wearing sun glasses, not talking to taxi drivers, etc etc... NEVER!!!! i love to catch peoples eye and smile, say hello, have a laugh..... it brightens the day... do it all day every day and it makes for a bright and happy life.

as for the police.... i found them to be great guys! ive recently been getting non stop miss calls from some diver... i sent a policeman that i met a text about it....and they stopped. it wouldnt happen like that here!!!

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
just want to clarify there is most definitely stuff on this thread that is wrong!!!!
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Charm El Feikh?:
i read about wearing sun glasses, not talking to taxi drivers, etc etc... NEVER!!!! i love to catch peoples eye and smile, say hello, have a laugh..... it brightens the day... do it all day every day and it makes for a bright and happy life.

Believe me, if you live in Cairo catching peoples' eyes and smiling at them will not make for a bright and happy life.

As for the policemen, I'm speaking out of personal experience. I've even slapped a policeman once who first harrassed me and then called me a sharmuta. [Mad]

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
i dont live in Cairo, but ive visited. i loved walking round there talking to everyone... kids, shop keepers, the pretzel man, a family sitting outside the shop with a tiny baby, women, the men who cooked me food everyone!

smile at someone and they smile back, talk to someone and they talk to you, laugh and joke with them and you will see a whole bunch of smiling, laughing faces around you.

perhaps i draw positive attention, perhaps its the fact that so many people look that no one would dare do anything wrong cause they'd be seen, but really i just think its about the impression you give.

can i ask you how he harassed you, if thats not to personal... im just interested to here what people think sexual harassment actually is. BTW theres no right or wrong answer... im just interested.

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
and i have to say... i think its double standards that a woman can hit a man when he has called her a name... yet if you called him a pervert and he hit you it would be a different matter.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com