EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Au Pair Jobs in Cairo/Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Au Pair Jobs in Cairo/Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.greataupair.com/fastfind.cfm/search/Family/searchType/Advanced/countryList/67/aupairShortStay/1/aupairStartDate/0/pref/0
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
http://www.greataupair.com/fastfind.cfm/search/Family/searchType/Advanced/countryList/67/aupairShortStay/1/aupairStartDate/0/pref/0

Look closer:

City Al Maks
State/Province Al Iskandariyah

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WoW Tigelily great website! Thanks for posting the link.

I was actually wondering how to find a good nanny in Germany. I'd prefer a professional nanny (not an au pair).

Any tips on where to start?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between a professional nanny and an au pair? (asked by the ignorant, childless chick who is now thinking about these things). [Wink]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't an au pair one who basically lives with the family and cares for the child? Is the nanny someone who comes in for a few hours everyday? Now I'm curious. (Asked by another ignorant, childless chick who is NOT thinking of these things)
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aupair is a young woman or man who basically takes care of the child/children (with or without experience it's kind of vague) couple of hours a day (appr. 30 hours per week total) at home and does light housework. For their service they receive pocket money, food and lodging, medical insurance. They are able attend German language classes here, get to know people and culture. Citizens from the EU don't need a visa to stay in Germany, they just need to apply for the working permit. Anyone else has to apply for both.

A nanny is a professional, usually a little older, holding a degree in child care. If a nanny gets employed here in Germany, she is able to work more hours, get paid much better than the au-pair but also social taxes have to be paid to the government. It's basically a working contract.

Well, we are getting ready to invite our new au-pair from Kenia. I am already in e-mail contact with her. I just like African people. Most of them have a sincere interest in children and they are just happy people. We had a girl from Kenia before and made really good experience. But I never had the interest to learn Swahili! [Wink] She also told me that they have the "infamous" beach towns there with gigolos and even many female prostitutes. Kenia is very bad for women when they are looking for employment. They either have to offer money or sex to their future boss. Really disgusting, isn't it?

Back to the topic, MK there are couple of interesting websites out if you look for a professional nanny. Let me know.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MK there are couple of interesting websites out if you look for a professional nanny. Let me know.

Oh yes please Tigerlily. That's exactly what I want, but I wanted sites recommended by people who already tried them and liked them.

I need someone who's a native speaker of German so tha my child would learn it properly.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this agency.

http://www.aupair-agency.com/de/

Also you can put ads in newspapers or on the internet. Or try the Labor Department. This way you still can get a qualified person - even an unemployed "Kindergaertnerin" - to look after your child (ask for references) and you would save the agency fee.

Germany has many unemployed people and I am sure you will get a big response regarding your search.

Ah, I just finished watching with my kids the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire" again, I could watch it over and over myself, anyway that's a person you don't want to get. You know what I mean! [Eek!] [Wink]

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[QB]
Well, we are getting ready to invite our new au-pair from Kenia. I am already in e-mail contact with her. I just like African people. Most of them have a sincere interest in children and they are just happy people. We had a girl from Kenia before and made really good experience. But I never had the interest to learn Swahili! [Wink] She also told me that they have the "infamous" beach towns there with gigolos and even many female prostitutes. Kenia is very bad for women when they are looking for employment. They either have to offer money or sex to their future boss. Really disgusting, isn't it?
Tigerlily
Have you red the book The White Masai , by a German/swiss woman Corinne Hoffman it's about her incredible life in Kenya.
Really a fascinating book.
This just came to my mind as I see you will get an aupair from Kenya.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Hi, Mimmi, how are you? Yes, I heard about the woman but I haven't read her book. Last year Germany produced her incredible story into a movie.

http://www.german-films.de/archive/film_view.php?film_id=1357

But you know, this woman chose to live in a tribe in very poor conditions with hardly any contacts to the outside world.

But Kenia also has to offer big hassling cities. Most au-pairs come either from Nairobi or Kisumu. And the great thing is that they speak fluently English next to Swahili. Very, very nice girls. [Smile]

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi, Mimmi, how are you? Yes, I heard about the woman but I haven't read her book. Last year Germany produced her incredible story into a movie.

http://www.german-films.de/archive/film_view.php?film_id=1357

But you know, this woman chose to live in a tribe in very poor conditions with hardly any contacts to the outside world.

But Kenia also has to offer big hassling cities. Most au-pairs come either from Nairobi or Kisumu. And the great thing is that they speak fluently English next to Swahili. Very, very nice girls. [Smile]

Tigerlily hi
Iam just fine only thing is that it is a bit cold here at the moment -21c + windshield -10c so it feels like -30c.
Up in northen Finland it is -40c today but we survive.
Still about the book above , yes shoe chose the lifestyle herself and she is not bitter or any bad memories about it.
She writes it in a happy way and she respects the culture a lot.
I just finished reading her 2nd book the The daughter of the white Masai , where she tells what happened to them aftér she and her daughter moved back to Swizerland.
So when is your new aupair arriving? didn' you have an aupair from Georgia or somwhere from there before, didi she go back?
Chilly regards

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
Iam just fine only thing is that it is a bit cold here at the moment -21c + windshield -10c so it feels like -30c.
Up in northen Finland it is -40c today but we survive.

What you mean a "a bit cold"? This is unbearable to take. I am so depressed about this time of the year. Today f.e. it is so foggy outside, no sun, the snow from two days ago vanished so it became less cold I guess.

About the au-pair: Yes, we invited a girl from Georgia who arrived last December but she wasn't able to communicate with us at all. Think about no word in German and I always hear that they test the girls well at the embassies before giving them the visa. Anyway, my kids were too "wild" (I must admit that's what they are [Wink] ) for her so we parted ways after about three months.

My husband is not very fancying the idea about a new girl in the house because that means for him no more running around in boxer shorts..... [Big Grin]

Also he is totally against the idea that we employ a male au-pair even when I promised him I would choose the most ugliest young man in the whole universe! [Eek!]

daria1975
Member # 6244

If I am able to have a child, I would *love* to have someone who knows another language provide day care.....au pair or nanny.

But I have to find out more about socialization of a kid...it would be likely I'd have only one (or twins!) [Eek!] . Wouldn't a day care with other kids be better?

I can take a year off from work, paid. But after that, barring any change in financial status, I will have to go back to work... [Frown]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the grandmother alternative.

Being blood she can sense just what my little monster will do next, where she is hiding, and which neighbor the little monster will pounce on next.

I don't know if its ESP or she has eyes on every wall, crock and crany in a 10 block radius, but MIL, she is GOOD!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

I'd prefer grandmother too.... *his* mother. [Wink]

*If* we live in Egypt, that would be ideal.

My mother is not an option. [Frown]

daria1975
Member # 6244

How common is that, grandmothers watching kids in Egypt? My husband's mother babysat the three oldest grandchildren for years......
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

My mother is not an option. [Frown]

Neither is mine.

But hey thats why she is there and I will join her soon. And staying there until things simmer out.

It'll be good for both of us.

I am just wondering when the town of shebin is going to start demanding we purchase a "damage-clause" insurance plan.

Now that so much of the interior of the house has been replaced the girls are going to start working down the neighborhood. [Big Grin]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
How common is that, grandmothers watching kids in Egypt? My husband's mother babysat the three oldest grandchildren for years......

From what I understand grandparents pay for most everything and do most of the childcare.

You get to be a parent when you become a grandparent.

A lot less stressful and less power-struggles.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com