EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Made in China

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Made in China
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me why so many things you buy in Egypt are imported from China? From a tin opener to a table lamp, they are guaranteed to fall to pieces within a week.
Why can't these things be made in Egypt? It can't be anything to do with labour costs, because so many people have no choice but to work here for a pittance.
Surely it would help the economy and give more people a chance to work if these things were manufactured in Egypt?
Even the souvenir ashtrays and the plastic pyramids have 'made in China' labels stuck to the bottom of them. The shopkeepers have to spend some time peeling them off - because the tourists want something authentic!

Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question....

China's been forcing itself to become a major player in the global economy, at the expense of its workers. There are no labor laws to speak of, and many are working for slave wages.

Maybe China has built up its economic/manufacturing infrastructure faster/bigger than Egypt, and that's why things are cheaper to import. I dunno.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China and Egypt share the quotas to supply the world with marble.

In exchange the two countries could've agreed to buy each other's products.

Imagine a Chinese man complaining about Egyptian electronics and books with printed in Egypt with major typos and font errors!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Small
Member # 7071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Small     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen Egyptian workmanship.
Posts: 70 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Small:
Have you seen Egyptian workmanship.

Yeah, I have several "office" type outfits for summer made in Egypt. I get constant compliments on them.

And then theirs the refridgerator doors my daughter and neice use as swings/rides that have managed not to fall apart or even bend the joints.

The VCR that has suffered my daughter shoving every type of object; books, bar soap, plastic eating utensils, so forth and still runs well. If she rips the vcr out of the wall and the TV console the repair man can easily fix it. All without electricuting the little monster.

If an appliance can live through my daughter, then its a quality product!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recieved a set of "Egyptian Cotton" sheets for Christmas.

On one of the packages (fitted sheet) it noted the fabric was from Thailand and assembled in China. Actually the whole set was assembled in China, two of the pieces fabric actually came from Egypt.

Now this can't be just a coincidence.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com