EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Any Animal Lover's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Animal Lover's?
Cleopatra1811
Member # 10109

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cleopatra1811         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I live in maadi and I'm off to australia for 2 months but I have a cat. Does anyone know of anywhere where I can leave my cat for 2 months or is there an aimal lover out there who wouldn't mind taking care of it? Ofcourse I will pay for the care and food, and the cat is well trained and very quite and sweet. Please my time is running out [Frown] and cant seem to find anyone who can take care of my cat, I dont want it in a cage.
Posts: 12 | From: Maadi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there
You can contact Animal Haven in new Maadi, tel 5164010, Villa 4, Road 277. Ask for Mrs. Noura El Daly (she's there most afternoons).
I adopted an Egyptian Mau through Animal Haven & I know they offer boarding facilities. The cats are not kept in cages, they are free roaming and well looked after. There is a vet on the premise every day. I'd help you out myself but I'll be traveling on business quite a bit over the next couple of months.
Hope this works out.
Cheers
Ann

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Animal Haven is excellent. I left my cat there two times (he's there right now since I'm in Germany for a while and couldn't take him with me).

Ann is right, the cats are running around freely in a big villa with a small garden. (There are about 100, so if you come in there for the first time the sight is a bit surprising, lol, plus as soon as you sit down you have cats all over you, trying to get some attention and a bit of cuddling).
The place is very clean, so are the animals, and they are well taken care of. The place is run by an elderly German woman and her daughter, they are very kind and helpful.

Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nile_pharaoh
Member # 9938

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nile_pharaoh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, cleopatra, where in maadi r u
Posts: 73 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cleopatra1811
Member # 10109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleopatra1811         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys, you're great, you might have just saved my life [Smile]
I'll check out the place over the next few days. I live just around the corner from Road 4.
Thanks so much for your help [Smile]

Posts: 12 | From: Maadi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
Member # 9815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The animal shelter is on road 277, not road 4 (that's the house number), it's better to ring them upfront so that you can get to meet Noura in person.
Posts: 42 | From: Maadi, Cairo | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cleopatra1811
Member # 10109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleopatra1811         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thanks... hehehe, I'll do that.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a cat now (I used too in Germany and Egypt) I definitely wouldn't bring my cat to a shelter with 100 other cats.

Along the thought of that not all felines are proper vaccinated and that cats - especially the males are always trying to fight - would give me highly doubts. Also I'd worry that the yard is not properly fenced in and my cat would find a way to get out and run off.

Try to find a kind person who would take in your pet for the mentioned timeframe, let her get all the attention a cat loves and deserves and you don't have to be afraid that it will become emotional distressed while staying there or it gets injured. The time away from you will be already hard on him.

Why don't you talk back to your veterinarian and he might now a private person who can look after your cat? I'd also have a contact for a woman in Maadi who takes dogs and cats in. Please contact her. I don't want to post her name and contact no. here so please send me an e-mail to tigerlilyegypt(at)yahoo.de.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
If I had a cat now (I used too in Germany and Egypt) I definitely wouldn't bring my cat to a shelter with 100 other cats.

You are right that being surrounded by many other cats is not something cats particularly enjoy. However, if I had the choice between my cat running freely among others or being kept in a cage for weeks I'd definitely chose the first option.

quote:
Along the thought of that not all felines are proper vaccinated and that cats - especially the males are always trying to fight - would give me highly doubts. Also I'd worry that the yard is not properly fenced in and my cat would find a way to get out and run off.
They will not take a cat which is not properly vaccinated and they have a vet on duty.

As for the yard – it is surrounded by a high wall that makes it impossible for cats to escape.

quote:
Try to find a kind person who would take in your pet for the mentioned timeframe, let her get all the attention a cat loves and deserves and you don't have to be afraid that it will become emotional distressed while staying there or it gets injured. The time away from you will be already hard on him.
Just for the record – I left my cat there for about four weeks when I went away the last time and he was far from being distressed when I got him back. He was obviously well taken care of, his fur shiny and he seemed quite relaxed. The only injury he had was a small scratch on his nose.
[Cool]

www.animalhaven-egypt.com/

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
However, if I had the choice between my cat running freely among others or being kept in a cage for weeks I'd definitely chose the first option.

Dalia, the third option you don't pay attention to is to bring your animal to an animal-loving person who either doesn't have any pets or just a few. This is by far the best solution for you as the owner and for the pet itself - which should have priority after all. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Dalia, the third option you don't pay attention to is to bring your animal to an animal-loving person who either doesn't have any pets or just a few. This is by far the best solution for you as the owner and for the pet itself - which should have priority after all. [Smile]

Why are you suggesting I haven't considered that option?

I have tried but unfortunately it's anything but easy to find someone who is willing and capable to take a cat for several weeks or even months, particularly in Cairo and particularly if you have a cat like mine.

I would have taken him to Germany with me but they changed the quarantine regulations, so it wasn't possible.
[Frown]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Auf www.kairofamiliennetz.de findest Du die No. von einer netten dt. Dame, die Tiere zur Urlaubspflege aufnimmt. Habe gerade mit ihr tel., geht leider selbst in den Urlaub gerade jetzt, will trotzdem helfen. Falls ich naechstes Jahr nach Kairo ziehe (die Sterne stehen gut [Wink] ), weiss ich jetzt schon, wo mein Hund bleibt, wenn ich verreise. Muss nur noch einen Hundesalon finden, weil ich nicht selbst scheren moechte (das Naegelschneiden von meinen Kindern ist schon immer ein Akt [Wink] ). Habe einen schoenen Sonntag!

Oh, kannst Du mir sagen, inwieweit sich die Einfuhrbestimmungen fuer Tiere von ausserhalb der EU geaendert haben?

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Auf www.kairofamiliennetz.de findest Du die No. von einer netten dt. Dame, die Tiere zur Urlaubspflege aufnimmt.

The ladies who run Animal Haven are German as well.

I do agree that cats are better off when they get personal attention. However, cats are also very territorial and they don't like change at all; so I'd rather leave my cat in a shelter which might not be the optimum but I know he'll be treated with love and care than sending him to yet another person he would have to get used to.

quote:
Oh, kannst Du mir sagen, inwieweit sich die Einfuhrbestimmungen fuer Tiere von ausserhalb der EU geaendert haben?

The cat needs to be vaccinated, then a blood sample has to be taken which needs to be sent to Germany(!) where it will be tested by a lab. When the lab gives the ok the animal can be taken out of the country. It also has to be microchipped prior to travelling. The whole process, I've been told, takes three to four months.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I will def. go with that woman. For me its a horror just to think about 100 cats in one spot - despite the fact I am an animal lover.....
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
The cat needs to be vaccinated, then a blood sample has to be taken which needs to be sent to Germany(!) where it will be tested by a lab. When the lab gives the ok the animal can be taken out of the country. It also has to be microchipped prior to travelling. The whole process, I've been told, takes three to four months.

Okay, it is similar to the regulations for the UK. It also means I have to deal with the GE Embassy in Cairo or how do I get the blood sample from EG to GE?
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
I don't know, you probably have to ask a vet.

I have the whole procedure done at the moment, the people at the shelter take care of it. They are in contact with a German lab and will send the blood samples there for me as well as take care of the paper stuff.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
"Der Tierschutzverein muss das Tier gegen Tollwut impfen lassen - dies war natürlich auch bisher so - nur die neue Verordnung bestimmt, dass dem Tier nach einer längeren Zeit nach der Impfung (man spricht von 3 Monaten) Blut abgenommen wird und dieses Blut von einem anerkannten Labor auf Tollwut getestet wird. Erst wenn die getestete Blutprobe auch tollwut-negativ ist, darf das Tier in die EU einreisen. Leider gibt es in den meisten Nicht-EU-Ländern kein Labor, das von der EU anerkannt wird.

Das heisst für die Tierschützer, dass die Blutprobe in ein Labor nach Deutschland (Giessen) gesendet werden muss. Hierfür benötigt man wieder Flugpaten, die das Blut transportieren (aber wer nimmt schon ein Röhrchen, verpackt als kleines Paket mit?). All das kostet viel Geld (ca € 500,- pro Tier) und benötigt viel Zeit."

http://www.flugpate.com/nicht_eu.php

Oh, I sincerely hope that something will change in the nearest future I mean that a lab in Cairo will be at least recognized by the German authorities.

Your bill will be horrendous to bring Sami (I think that was his name) to Germany.

Good luck! [Smile]

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Oh, I sincerely hope that something will change in the nearest future I mean that a lab in Cairo will be at least recognized by the German authorities.

Your bill will be horrendous to bring Sami (I think that was his name) to Germany.

I think it's ridiculous that the test can't just be done by an Egyptian lab ... German bureaucracy!
[Roll Eyes]

But, no, it's not expensive. I think I payed something like 20 or 30 dollars for the whole thing including the microchipping.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com