EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Food Bank

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Food Bank
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian business give food aid to the poor
By Neil Heathcote
BBC News business reporter in Cairo, Egypt

In a rundown suburb of Cairo, a truck distributes free meals to local families.

Word has got round. The queue stretches from a dimly-lit basement out onto the street.

This is no government welfare scheme.

It is charity work that has been organised and financed by the private sector, to collect spare food from those who do not need it and hand it over to those who do.

Not just during the month of Ramadan

Thirty-four million Egyptians are thought to live below the poverty line and over 10 million are classed as hungry.

It is a problem that the government has simply been unable to solve on its own.

Moez El Shohdi believes his business experience is useful

Now some of the country's corporate leaders have decided to take an interest.

The Egyptian Food Bank was set up a year ago.

Reda Sukker brought the idea to Egypt having seen it in action in Korea.

Such banks have been around for a while, having started life in the US back in the 1960s.

But not many of them have taken the private sector on board so wholeheartedly.

"People in Egypt give food to the poor in the month of Ramadan," says Dr Sukker.

"But you don't just need food during Ramadan, you need it all year round. That's where we come in."

Helpful friends

The Food Bank is expanding rapidly.

It has teams working at conferences and weddings, repacking hot food for immediate distribution to the poor.

People who can work are not getting help

It also buys food and repackages it into family-size portions at its Cairo warehouse.

Businesses provide not just contacts and money for the Bank, they also supply board members like Moez El Shohdi.

He has been in the hotels industry for more than 30 years.

"I contacted my friends in the field," he says, "and explained what we wanted to do.

"They accepted the idea and even their staff are happily helping out now."

Investment forthcoming

Not content to stop there, the private sector board members have been bringing business principles to bear across all the bank's activities.

"The idea came up to run it professionally, like any other organisation," says Mr El Shohdi, "and that's what we're trying to do now, even financing, fundraising, storage, distribution, advertising - everything."

And the companies have been looking at ever more ambitious ways to generate funds for the Bank.

Academic Mariz Tadros asks whether firms could do more

Packaging plants and poultry farming are just two potential money-spinners that are currently under consideration.

"We're thinking of investing, because we don't want to keep taking all the funding from the businesses," says Dr Sukker.

"The businessmen have told us we can invest in packaging, or the food industry or the stock exchange, because they know how all this works and can do the feasibility studies.

"The board has approved, all these activities are within the law allowing [non-governmental organisations] to generate income for the poor, and we're now seeking approval from the Ministry."

Job creation

But not everyone is comfortable with the private sector's enthusiasm for charity.

Businesses are considering investing in packaging

Mariz Tadros of the American University in Cairo points out that charities already have a lot of experience in the area.

There are simply better ways for companies to use their talents, she says, than providing free food to the poor.

"Are they really taking the easy way out? Because we know that charity is the easiest way out in terms of implementation," she says.

"What's more difficult is sustainable development programmes. What companies can do, is generate jobs."

Of course the people at the receiving end are just grateful for the food and do not really mind who is providing it.

A job might be better, but for most of them that is currently not an option.

The Food Bank says it is careful not to help those who can earn their own living.

And if the companies behind the Food Bank make a success of their venture, it might give other charities a few new tricks to try - and many millions of poor could feel the benefit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4709060.stm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful [Smile]

--------------------
--
here...
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955020700/qid%3D1133898517/026-7853042-0414807= Recommended...![/url]

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily
What a fantastic scheme.
It saddens me to see the huge amount of waste here behind supermarkets of out of date stuff. They should at the end of the working day allow a special section for the elderly and poor to be able to take this food for free, instead of driving it to the refuse yard.
Mc Donalds throw away thousands of kilos of cheese, buns, fries, chicken etc every hour around the globe. It gets trashed because it has gone over the 20 minute or so rule.
Wicked waste of food!!!
When half the world is going to bed hungry every night................... [Confused]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt works in a hotel (in Hungary) and what pisses me off that by order whatever stays from the dinner or any other meal they have to through out,all of it,even if its 200Kg.This is awful i swear.i always asked why cant they call few organizations that help homeless people to come and take the food,better than to throw it out.The director says they r following the rules of the EU.On top of it even the people who work in the kitchen they cant even get a banana home with themselves! Idiots really!!
Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Papa! No Mama! No Whisky Soda! [Frown]

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats really great [Smile] there is a massive amound of food in the egyptian five star hotel weddings. in the old days the waiters and hotel staff would take the remains after the wedding. but nowadays many people opt to give the food to charities which i think is amazing!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it poverty that makes charity or charity that makes poverty?

got to think about this, because some people can see charity as a part of a vicious circle.

For sure people living on aid when they could work is an insult to a working soul.

Look it's like countries living on the american aid... how will they develop themselves when they feel they don't need to?

So we can say: "Wow, wonderful, there are compassionate people that help the poor"

But that's so hypocrit, why don't they help the poor out from poverty?

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
Tigerlily
What a fantastic scheme.
When half the world is going to bed hungry every night................... [Confused]

When you don't have the means to feed your children you don't make children.

What is fantastic in the meaning of paranormal is that some people are feeding other people's children. And that's a vicious scheme.

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
I'm sorry i may sound Darwinian on that part but the human genre has to spend on what is going to make him go forward, without looking back.

Honestly, if i were an Egyptian official and some people want to spend money to feed the poor, i would prohibit this attitude as the country needs this money on longer scale perspective.

Keeping those poor alive will make nothing but to make egyptian growth slower.

mysweetcamel
Member # 10187

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysweetcamel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus Cesar:
I'm sorry i may sound Darwinian on that part but the human genre has to spend on what is going to make him go forward, without looking back.Honestly, if i were an Egyptian official and some people want to spend money to feed the poor, i would prohibit this attitude as the country needs this money on longer scale perspective.Keeping those poor alive will make nothing but to make egyptian growth slower.

You are a cold-hearted bastard. Omak zanya fee erd.
Posts: 47 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Did you know Bill Gates spend more money alone on health than the reunion of all states contributing to international health aid?

This attitude is so noble, we should all be concerned by poor people.

It feels so good to give a part of your wealth to some people and to make them happy, their smile makes you feel so good.

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
I think it's a good thing that charity is made on state scale.

Or the Gates example shows us that charity is now going global.

It's so reassuring to now there are some people caring about others.

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mysweetcamel:
quote:
I'm sorry i may sound Darwinian on that part but the human genre has to spend on what is going to make him go forward, without looking back.Honestly, if i were an Egyptian official and some people want to spend money to feed the poor, i would prohibit this attitude as the country needs this money on longer scale perspective.Keeping those poor alive will make nothing but to make egyptian growth slower.

Thanks for my mother son of a b*tch, i think your's gonna be able to sit down again in one week, i smacked her *ss so hard she left walking like a dog for air to refresh her anus.
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for my mother son of a b*tch, i think your's gonna be able to sit down again in one week, i smacked her *ss so hard she left walking like a dog for air to refresh her anus.
You see i'm charitable, after your father cannot have a proper erection i gave your mother's *ss some food.
I'm not mean with these things

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have attended a seminar and manger of this *bank gave a wonderful speech, he is a very famous business man subhan Allah, wont describe the effort they are doing to feed these poor ppl, I remember they have showed us a video about those families!! They are ready to eat from leftovers, very pathetic…
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You see i'm charitable, after your father cannot have a proper erection i gave your mother's *ss some food.

You should really take your meds before getting online.
You should really take your meds before getting online (nice try, keep on trying, one day you'll get it)

you should have some more respect for people, even if they have different ideas.
And you live in the States? How can you stand living in such a country where people have freedom of speech?

If you can't discuss on the ideas holding for yourself what you think of a person then don't discuss.

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ViVaLaDiVa:
My aunt works in a hotel (in Hungary) and what pisses me off that by order whatever stays from the dinner or any other meal they have to through out,all of it,even if its 200Kg.This is awful i swear.i always asked why cant they call few organizations that help homeless people to come and take the food,better than to throw it out.The director says they r following the rules of the EU.On top of it even the people who work in the kitchen they cant even get a banana home with themselves! Idiots really!!

you are right This is very ridicules and silly… I remembered I went to do shopping with some friends in *City Stars Mall and My friends have ordered me food, I didn’t like it, so we decided given it to the cleaner man, he seemed to be very poor, the man said, “sorry I cant accept it, I wish I could, but it is regulations, Miss throw it in the garbage!”
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jesus Cesar:

You should really take your meds before getting online (nice try, keep on trying, one day you'll get it)

you should have some more respect for people, even if they have different ideas.
And you live in the States? How can you stand living in such a country where people have freedom of speech?

If you can't discuss on the ideas holding for yourself what you think of a person then don't discuss.

i dont agree with *you*, but I do respect *you! [Wink]
this is the Egyptain way...

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Asooma:
quote:

you are right This is very ridicules and silly… I remembered I went to do shopping with some friends in *City Stars Mall and My friends have ordered me food, I didn’t like it, so we decided given it to the cleaner man, he seemed to be very poor, the man said, “sorry I cant accept it, I wish I could, but it is regulations, Miss throw it in the garbage!”
OK when you say it's a waste i'm with you.

But imagine City Stars restaurant area with a hundred beggars waiting for some food. It doesn't make sense.

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shut up and go to hell. I can say what I want. That is the American way.
That's the loser way b*tch. Americans haven't invented the losers. In america, if you insult me, i sue you, that's the american way.
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
i dont agree with *you*, but I do respect *you! [Wink]
this is the Egyptain way...

After those dirty words i said i wasn't hoping that much, thank you.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wallahi?

American way?

Or just one more post-Tereska account?

Mr. Sexualy frustrated Virgin of ES?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

OK when you say it's a waste i'm with you.

But imagine City Stars restaurant area with a hundred beggars waiting for some food. It doesn't make sense.

yes, it wont make a sense and it will be more ridicules...look there is this stupid Egyptain say, "no one will die from hunger" years ago I agreed about it but lately, i have notice that it is stupid...
What does the word *food mean to you?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
food means to me:

1. sushi
2. anything chinese
3. lebanese mezza

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
food means to me:

-healing
-pleasure
-variety
-vitality
-energy
-calm/well-being
-nature

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
food also means 'mommy' because she's the first to feed us, and any food will never be as good as the one our mother cooks for us.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay back to the topic. This is one of the best ideas I've ever heard of.

My mom is a food bank on her own, but I can ask her to join in her efforts..

Is there like a phone number or something?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Wallahi?

American way?

Or just one more post-Tereska account?

Mr. Sexualy frustrated Virgin of ES?

how are you today? How are you dealing with unemployement? Are you looking for a new job? if yes how is the research going? how's the kid?
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
food means to me:

-healing
-pleasure
-variety
-vitality
-energy
-calm/well-being
-nature

This is gr8...and I'm with you
to me food is:
Health,
pleasure
and energy

quote:

Honestly, if i were an Egyptian official and some people want to spend money to feed the poor, i would prohibit this attitude as the country needs this money on longer scale perspective.

is it poverty that makes charity or charity that makes poverty?

got to think about this, because some people can see charity as a part of a vicious circle.

For sure people living on aid when they could work is an insult to a working soul.

Look it's like countries living on the american aid... how will they develop themselves when they feel they don't need to?

So we can say: "Wow, wonderful, there are compassionate people that help the poor"

But that's so hypocrit, why don't they help the poor out from poverty?

and here we are back!you are contradicting yrself!!
How those poor and miserable families will be treated in an *equal* way although they are not like us?
How they will be able to think and work if they are suffering from nitration problems?
Certainly, food to me is something minor.

lately, I have suffered from a *food* problem during Haj days, as I get disgusted quickly, "I dont eat junk food, my group don’t have time to search for me, for the healthy food !! Plus there was a transportation problem “we have only 2 options walking or sitting on the bus doing nothing”

so we have to walk, one day we walked more then 8 kilos, and others days we have to walk like 2 kilos a day, and put in yr consideration my food problem so I was dieing.
I just begin to think at those families who have to work and they don’t eat healthy food So I have known *discovered the meaning of food.

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
i am contradicting myself.... so what. I'm free!
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had opened a thread on PL 480 a while back and no one knew what it was or really cared.
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:

no no you have got me wrong, i'm not *Attacking you, I’m just trying to convince you [Wink] and everyone is free in his thinking.
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

no no you have got me wrong, i'm not *Attacking you, I’m just trying to convince you [Wink] and everyone is free in his thinking.
`
Good girl [Wink]

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When you don't have the means to feed your children you don't make children.

Ever heard of Classical Malthusian Melancholy ?? [Eek!]

Come on, that way of thinking is just as bad as Marxism [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com