EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Bird Flu confirmed in egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bird Flu confirmed in egypt
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh, just got my first frantic call from a family member..................
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I heard on the news yesterday here the same thing! It's in upper egypt, cairo and a place here I can't remember the name. great.....
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was out of question that Egypt would get it too. [Frown] Now it's up to the authorities to deal with the infection as good as possible so it will not spread further to other areas and become a thread to human beings too.

Here in Germany they find right now hundreds of sick are already deceased swans on the north-eastern area on the beach, although not every animal is infected with the deadly H5N1 virus. It's a sad picture. Starting today all feathered animals on farms have to be kept inside nationwide.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i heard the real threat is if the virus mutates and can be transferred from human to human...
if that happens, God help us all~

Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 dead chickens in Cairo and Giza, people's home grown birds. 3150 dead turkeys in 3 turkey farms in and around Minya, still not tested. A lovely picture in Al Ahram of a bunch of 6 year old kids laughing and staring at a dead chicken in their midst...ma feesh faida!
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it could happen but in the meantime its more important to not let the virus spread over to other animals and above all no person should touch the animals without protection.

I hope that the Egyptian government already has an emergency plan developed in case the virus would be found in animals inside the country.

Here in Germany it was said we were well prepared but many critics came up now that officials weren't ready and expecting such a sudden and enormous outbreak.

People have to be educated immediately not to touch any feathered animals right now even the ones who look healthy!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
I wonder who we should call if we see anything bad here, dead chickens, birds, etc???
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Egypt advises people to get rid of domestic poultry

CAIRO (Reuters) - The Egyptian government on Saturday advised people who breed poultry at home to get rid of them to prevent the spread of bird flu, which was diagnosed in seven chickens in Egypt on Thursday.
Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif said in a statement: "The time has come to get rid of the idea of breeding chickens on the roofs of houses, especially under current circumstances."

"The world is moving towards big farms because they can be controlled under veterinary supervision, so if any problems arise, intervening to deal with them is much easier," he added.

The seven sick or dead chickens were found in homes, not on large farms. Many Egyptians in cities keep chickens or pigeons on the roof for their own consumption or as a source of supplementary income.

Nazif said the government would compensate the owners of any sick or dead birds. But it is safe to slaughter and eat domestic fowl which do not have the disease, he added.

The Egyptian Health Ministry said on Friday it had carried out tests on people living near the seven diseased chickens but no human cases were found.

Egypt has tested 37,000 samples from birds since the virus started spreading around the world but Thursday's were the first positive results, it said.

To meet an expected increase in demand and hold prices down, the government plans to buy more red meat from abroad, Agriculture Minister Amin Abaza told a news conference. Egypt's main suppliers of livestock have been Sudan and Ethiopia.

Egypt has banned the import of live birds and has tightened quarantine controls to keep out bird flu. It also cancelled the annual bird hunting season to minimise contacts between people and migrant birds.

H5N1 influenza remains mainly a disease of poultry, and has killed or forced the culling of more than 200 million birds across Asia, parts of the Middle East, Europe and Africa.

But it has also infected 171 people, killing 93, and is steadily mutating. If it acquires the ability to pass easily from person to person, it could cause a pandemic that might kill millions.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060218/3/2g1y8.html

Bird flu cases confirmed in Egypt

Friday, February 17, 2006 Posted: 1613 GMT (0013 )

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- A U.N. official on Friday said tests done on dead birds in Egypt had confirmed an outbreak of the deadly H5N1 strain of avian flu that has swept out of Southeast Asia into Europe, the Middle East and Africa. There have been no confirmed cases in humans.

Dr. Talib Elham of the Food and Agriculture Organization in Cairo said the disease had apparently moved north to Cairo in an infected turkey that was taken to market in the capital.

Other outbreaks were found in flocks kept in backyard gardens and rooftop coops in Giza, just across the Nile River from Cairo. Positive tests also were reported from birds in the southern Egyptian cities of Minya and Qena.

The Egyptian Cabinet was meeting Friday afternoon and expected to make a public announcement, according to health officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to make the information public. They said there had been between 18 and 20 positive test results so far.

Elham said the disease likely had already killed thousands of chickens and turkeys that had not yet been reported to officials.

The government veterinary service said the Health Ministry was preparing to declare a state of emergency.

Egypt is the largest Arab country and the population -- which often lives in cramped conditions -- depends heavily on chickens and turkeys for food. Millions of Egyptians raise chickens as a source of protein.

The H5N1 strain has killed 92 people since 2003, with most victims infected directly by sick birds, according to the World Health Organization.

To date there have been no confirmed cases in which H5N1 has mutated into a virus capable of being passed directly between humans. Experts fear such a development could lead to a global pandemic.

The H5N1 strain was first confirmed on the African continent when it was found in poultry in three Nigerian states.

Five other states had suspected cases and some scientist believe the disease was carried to the continent by birds migrating from Eurasia. Others said the disease was carried to Nigeria through the poultry trade with China.

The disease also has turned up in dead birds -- swans especially -- in several Western European countries. (Full story)

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/02/17/birdflu.egypt.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it was reported today that it has now shown up in France - only 500 miles from the UK.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The government just doesn't get it! The people who raise chickens in their homes do so to supplement their income, mostly women. If they could afford to buy from 'big farms' with 'veterinary supervision' they would. They also can't afford red meat, imported or otherwise, and prices have shot up overnight.

Time to become vegetarian...

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't eat alive ducks, kill them first, kill them all, one by one [Big Grin]

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:

Time to become vegetarian...

I am already Vegeterian, I eat vegetables beside meat [Big Grin]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I had sushi tonight, actually it was something new for me, I can't say that the food rocked my chair (if it will rock my stomach I'll tell you tomorrow [Big Grin] ) . But since I am avoiding pork meat (I mentioned earlier I've seen a documentary about fat-feedings pigs and how they get killed at a slaughterhouse [Eek!] ), I know many of our ES members avoiding pork meat anyway for a good reason [Big Grin] and now that bird flue thing what else is there for food besides fish?

It is a sad sad world..... I used to enjoy a good meal before ..... now everything becomes critical. [Frown]

Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily, I love Sushi, its so good for you, I could eat it every day, I only ever eat fish, cannot remember the last time I ate meat and now that bird flu is so close to England (425 miles away) scary!
Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Cairo zoo closes after bird flu reaches Egypt
19 Feb 2006 14:07:29 GMT

Source: Reuters

CAIRO, Feb 19 (Reuters) - The Egyptian authorities closed Cairo zoo and seven other state-run zoos around the country for two weeks from Sunday to prevent the spread of bird flu after cases of the H5N1 virus were detected on Thursday.

Cairo zoo manager Talaat Sidraus told Reuters that zoo workers has immediately started disinfecting bird cages.

Witnesses saw dead and sick birds inside the zoo grounds on Sunday but it was not immediately clear if they had bird flu. Large flocks of egrets and other wild birds live in the trees in and around the zoo.

The authorities have reported cases of bird flu in seven provinces, stretching from Dakahlia in the northeast of the Nile Delta to Qena in the far south. At least 10,000 birds have been culled at a chicken farm north of Cairo.

On Sunday, merchants who normally slaughter and sell live chickens on the street had closed in compliance with a ban. Some remained open but had few customers.

The government said it was importing 73,000 packets of Tamiflu, one of the few medicines thought to alleviate the symptoms of the disease when it hits humans.

No human cases have been diagnosed in Egypt.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L1994744.htm

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Tigerlily*:
and now that bird flue thing what else is there for food besides fish?

It is a sad sad world..... I used to enjoy a good meal before ..... now everything becomes critical. [Frown]

There are a million things to create delicious meals of, even if you don't include meat in your diet.
[Smile]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Dalia, forget about it, I will not become a vegetarian. [Wink] I will stick more with seafood now and it's really healthy on top of it.
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say you should become a vegetarian, I have no desire to *convert* people. [Cool] I'm just opposed to the statement that meals have to be boring and there's hardly anything to chose from if you don't include meat.

I have to admit I'm a bit over-sensitive in regards to this particular statement because one of the questions I've been asked very often is "What do you eat if you don't eat meat?". I noticed that this question often comes from people whose diet I would consider terribly boring and who don't even know the names of half of the stuff I consume regularly.

There's a multitude of things to eat we can chose from: different grains, beans, pulses, vegetables, nuts, fruit, herbs. Meat is just a part of all that and it comes in less variety ... so to say there ist nothing to chose from if meat becomes critical is not really correct.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully I've been a vegetarian for years now, so whenever a case of madcow disease comes up or now birdflu, I don't have to worry about that stuff in terms of eating infected food.
[Smile]
I'm sorry to hear about this new threat though, and I worry about everyone who comes in contact with birds and for all those who live in countries that are infected. I hope they are able to contain it soon and that they find a way to help the people who get infected.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

We Excute people who get infected.

Looking forward to seeing you in egypt.

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually i was thinking if theres an infected bird inside of the water and dies there and the fish living in there start eating the corps then we eat this fish what happens????
Btw i agree with Dalia being vegetarian isnt about garzing grass as many ppl still thinks..how ignorant anyway.Since i remember i hv always been vegetarian as i dont like meat at all but sometimes i do eat fish.Lately im making vegetarian ^kofte^ for my husband from lentil and potato or soy beans and franly speaking he didnt complain and many ppl doesnt even recognize that it doesnt have meat in it.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can we be sure all the chicken producers (on roof tops and what not) in Egypt will comply? Is it definitely mandatory?
They said TAmi flu meds "MAY" be beneficial not that it is. Can you just go buy the Tamiflu to be prepared?
I heard it is greater risk in humans 20-40 years old with good immune systems, not like usual virus's that are worst cases in the old and young and pregant woman.
I think we all need to be prepared for this. Stock up on canned foods and water.

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
I'm not sure but all of the residents near us have made their rooftop birds disappear! Alhamdullilah, I was tired of those roosters waking me up each morning... [Roll Eyes]
I prefer the meat anyway, looks like the price of that can be expected to rise, thankfully I have a horrible immune system so inshallah I'll be ok [Big Grin]

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heared that everyone MUSt kill all poultry a his home in egypt coz from tomorrow they gonna receive fine if they dont..
MisplacedinAlex i also saw Oprah show yesterday,it was real scary what that expert said.My mom started to Stock up already few months ago [Smile]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

[Eek!] Dogs Flu is confirmed on The Moon.
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the official government website that has been set up about the bird flu and they say it will will be regularly updated: http://birdflu.sis.gov.eg/html/index.htm
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avian Flu Could Doom Rooftop Farms.

CAIRO (AFP) - A feature of Cairene folklore but also a means of subsistence for many Egyptians, rooftop farmyards have been singled out as a major health hazard since the first outbreak of avian influenza was confirmed.

Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif on Saturday urged all Egyptians to put an end to rooftop farming. Four out of six birds found to have been infected by the deadly H5N1 strain in Cairo came from such installations.

While no human cases have yet been reported, Health Minister Hatem Gebali gave several interviews on television Friday night, urging families to keep children away from the rooftops.

Above the commotion of Cairo's teeming streets lies an equally crowded rooftop city where the destitute fight for living space with millions of chickens, ducks and pigeons.

In Cairo's teeming neighbourhood of Bulaq Dakrur, Ismail Mahmud Mohammed's roof houses some 50 cackling ducks and hens, two satellite dishes, several families' laundry lines and a playground for the building's children.

"When there's no money to rent a bigger place, there's always space on the roof," said the 45-year-old.

"They said on television that it's dangerous to mix with the birds but they are my only source of income. Thanks to God, my birds are okay so we will eat those and then we will stop but what other job will I find?"

While the government has not yet issued an official ban on backyard and rooftop poultry rearing, the current avian flu crisis could have a drastic impact on the Cairo skyline.

"In most Egyptians farms, the level of hygiene is good. The problem is with urban yards where poultry and humans share the same living space," said Talaat Khatib, a professor at Assiut University's faculty of veterinary medicine.

"The situation is bad in these places and the threat of disease is higher. We need a huge campaign of awareness," he told AFP.

"To tackle this sanitary issue we have to change a certain lifestyle, all these rooftop cages should be removed," Khatib said.

In the streets of Bulaq Dakrur, animals and people mingle in one chaotic cluster of dirt alleys where barefoot children play and sheep graze on rubbish amidst a huge traffic jam of donkey carts, mini-buses, grocery stalls and chicken hutches.

Unfazed by the latest reports, an old woman wrapped in a white veil squeezes the neck of one of her pigeons and drop feeds water directly from her mouth to the bird's open beak in order to keep him hydrated.

Since the bird flu scare, impoverished Egyptians have been eating even more chicken than usual, as the prices of fish and other meats have doubled.

But many residents are aware that the measures promised by the authorities could spell the end of the era of unregulated urban farming.

Rooftop farms are particularly exposed "because of the sand carried in the air and because the water can be contaminated by migratory birds such as ducks," the health minister explained on the MBC channel Friday night.

"Some things never change in Cairo but I think now a lot of people are scared or understand that breeding animals on roofs and balconies is insalubrious," said Gamal Abdel Sattah, a young pharmacist from Bulaq Dakrur.

On his father's roof, a few dozen ducks and roosters squawk and flutter around the satellite dish amid children's plastic toys and cabbage leaves strewn on a thick bed of droppings.

"I will convince my father to destroy all this. We only use the birds for our personal consumption. This is probably the end of a tradition," said Gamal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060218/wl_mideast_afp/healthfluegyptfarms_060218162213

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Tamiflu was available in pharmacies last week. Come Saturday morning it was getting scarce. In the duration of one phonecall to El Ezabi Pharmacy the price jumped from LE350 for a box of ten to LE500. By Saturday evening there was no more stock but you could place your order to be delivered next week for LE750 a box!! - Price doubled in 12 hours!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com