EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Insomnia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insomnia
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have not slept for a month now.
i go to bed every night exhausted thinking that i will get a good night's sleep but end up tossing and turning in bed till the morning
my husband bought me some herabl pills to help but unfortunatly they didnt work
now i'm so tired, i feel exhausted, dizzy, and teary all day.
has anyone experienced insomnia before, and do you have any tips?

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, do you remember when I was pregnant couple of months ago? I was the same way, I wouldn't sleep at night and during the day I felt like a zombie. I am sorry that the move and letting go of your home had such a big impact on you and this is obviously the cause of your sleeping problems. Try to drink warm milk before going to sleep, take also a warm relaxing bath, let your hubby give you some massages - I am sure this will all help. And if not see a doctor and get something prescribed. I am sure at least when you are starting to work you will not have anymore problems to fall asleep. Wishing you all the best. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, 7ayat, you're having a rough time. [Frown] I'm so sorry!

Yes, I have awful problems with insomnia.

I take two benedryl (antihistamines - diphenhydramine) at night and it really helps me. And I'm not groggy in the morning. They are over the counter and mild, and pretty safe. Of course, check for interactions with any other drug you might be taking. I hate to depend on drugs, but I think never sleeping tears up your body even worse.

Other than that:

no caffeine or alcohol.
at least some light exercise each day.
don't eat too much before bedtime.

Good luck!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I do have to say that after I got married I had awful trouble sleeping, getting used to husband lying in the bed every single night. His body is like a friggin furnace and I like it really cold and dark in the bedroom. So part of your troubles might just be getting used to him, too. [Wink]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, Snoozin, her husband is very handsome, you've seen the picture! If I'd be her I'd leave the light on the whole night just to watch this beauty next to me! And maybe that's what she's doing.... [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try being really active all day. Get up early, do something active outdoors like walking, climbing, swimming. Come home latish, have a meal and go to bed. That might do it.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Tigerlily*:
Come on, Snoozin, her husband is very handsome, you've seen the picture! If I'd be her I'd leave the light on the whole night just to watch this beauty next to me! And maybe that's what she's doing.... [Wink]

So Sweet [Smile]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey tiger and snoozin thank you so much! and yeah i feel like a zombie all day. serisously we all need to shut down for a few hours at the end of the day.
i think one of the reasons i'm not sleeping well is because i'm used to air conditioners and we only have a fan here, so that could be a reason. another thing sometimes my husband talks when he's sleeping lol. [Smile]
another thing is a couple of months before leaving egypt i was having sleepless nights and the doctor prescribed a mild sleeping pill. but when i moved to australia, i stopped taking them, so maybe my body had gotten used to them.
but no actually i think there are far deeper reasons for my lack of sleep, but i can't figure it out.
snoozin i've been told about the antihistamines before, and i might ask the doctor for them!
and tiger believe me i will have a problem focusin when i work inshallah, because i feel sleepy the entire day, but i just never actually sleep!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Tigerlily*:

lol he'll love it if heard this! [Smile]
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe molokheya:
i go to bed every night exhausted thinking that i will get a good night's sleep but end up tossing and turning in bed till the morning

best

I think Tigerlily's right - its all the huge changes in your life in the past few months probably taking their toll. I know you might not want to think of it, but if you're not used to bed sharing have you tried sleeping alone for a few nights in case it is that is disturbing you - I know when I first shared a bed I never got any sleep. I always ended up sleeping on 3 inches of mattress on the edge no matter how big the bed.

You've probably also still got a bit of jet lag going on - do you try to sleep when you are tired or do you try and conform to normal sleeping hours? Maybe if you spent a few days just trying to sleep when the mood takes you rather than waiting for official bed time it might help? (I'm assuming you don't have a job at the moment).

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by catlover:
quote:

best

I think Tigerlily's right - its all the huge changes in your life in the past few months probably taking their toll. I know you might not want to think of it, but if you're not used to bed sharing have you tried sleeping alone for a few nights in case it is that is disturbing you - I know when I first shared a bed I never got any sleep. I always ended up sleeping on 3 inches of mattress on the edge no matter how big the bed.

You've probably also still got a bit of jet lag going on - do you try to sleep when you are tired or do you try and conform to normal sleeping hours? Maybe if you spent a few days just trying to sleep when the mood takes you rather than waiting for official bed time it might help? (I'm assuming you don't have a job at the moment).

yeah i tried sleeping during the day when i get very tired. sometimes it works and my body gets its much needed rest for an hour or two. but the thing is i think it makes it even more difficult to sleep at night!
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
hey tiger and snoozin thank you so much! and yeah i feel like a zombie all day. serisously we all need to shut down for a few hours at the end of the day.
i think one of the reasons i'm not sleeping well is because i'm used to air conditioners and we only have a fan here, so that could be a reason. another thing sometimes my husband talks when he's sleeping lol. [Smile]
another thing is a couple of months before leaving egypt i was having sleepless nights and the doctor prescribed a mild sleeping pill. but when i moved to australia, i stopped taking them, so maybe my body had gotten used to them.
but no actually i think there are far deeper reasons for my lack of sleep, but i can't figure it out.
snoozin i've been told about the antihistamines before, and i might ask the doctor for them!
and tiger believe me i will have a problem focusin when i work inshallah, because i feel sleepy the entire day, but i just never actually sleep!

It *could* be withdrawal from the sleeping pill. I stopped taking the antihistamines because I wanted to be drug free to try to get pregnant...and I think that was part of my problem. It lasted a good month. [Frown]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
quote:

It *could* be withdrawal from the sleeping pill. I stopped taking the antihistamines because I wanted to be drug free to try to get pregnant...and I think that was part of my problem. It lasted a good month. [Frown]
yeah you're right, its probably withdrawl from pills. but im hope i'm lucky like you and inshallah it lasts only a month!
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

best

Do like all mothers say, eat well and exercise
Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, a lot of fresh air and exercise does wonders. The more the better.
Snoozin', you have a furnace guy too? Ahhh, hahaha, that's so funny! Someone crack the window to let the snow come in.
You know, exercising "with" your man can help you sleep very well.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have plastic bags full of water by your side and every time trying to sleep but not getting it, go through one bag from the window and watch it where it goes [Big Grin] then you go back try sleeping, after 10-12 bags, sleep will be yours [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
Snoozin', you have a furnace guy too? Ahhh, hahaha, that's so funny! Someone crack the window to let the snow come in.
You know, exercising "with" your man can help you sleep very well.

Even in the winter I would *love* to have the window cracked open a bit! It's the only *fight* we have...i want the thermostat set at 68, and he wants it at 78. [Big Grin]
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
Have plastic bags full of water by your side and every time trying to sleep but not getting it, go through one bag from the window and watch it where it goes [Big Grin] then you go back try sleeping, after 10-12 bags, sleep will be yours [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

That is the best advice I have ever heard for insomnia.
At least if you don't sleep you can lay in bed laughing!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
================
I can't sleep when I am in Love. [Big Grin] For daysssss... [Razz]

And when I am worried about something ( financial, jobs, family matters, someone's health etc... )

I hope you feel better my dear.
Try to find the reasons, what triggers it?
It's normal reaction usually. It's your own way how you react to stress and other situations.

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree on this as well. [Wink]

I have often suffered from insomnia in my life, usually if I have something on my mind and can't let go. I've never taken any pills, though, since I feel uncomfortable about taking any kind of medicine.

There are lots of natural remedies you might want to try first, like the above mentioned exercise, making sure you get enough fresh air and exposure to daylight(!) and not drinking tea, coffee or cola later in the day.

There are different herbal teas that help some people or natural remedies like St. John's worth. Also certain foods are useful against sleeping problems becacuse they help the brain to release serotonin, so a glass of milk or a pasta dinner in the evening might have a positive effect. ("Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that conveys the positive sensations of satiety, satisfaction and relaxation. It regulates appetite and when converted to melatonin helps us to sleep.")

Food and Insomnia

More tipps ...

I think suffering from insomnia for a while when relocating to a new environment (and a different time zone) is quite normal, so give yourself some time. [Smile]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lavender essential oil is good for helping one to relax and sleep. A few drops on your pillowcase or under your pillow might help.
Or taking a nice warm bath with a few drops of it might help as well.

Actually, lavender is good for many many things. Next time you get cramps, try putting a few drops on a piece of cloth and breathing it in. It should help.

Good luck with finding some sleep.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Not too far from my Water Plastic Bags idea [Roll Eyes]
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't understand what you were saying about the Water Plastic Bags.
Sorry.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
quote:

I have often suffered from insomnia in my life, usually if I have something on my mind and can't let go. I've never taken any pills, though, since I feel uncomfortable about taking any kind of medicine.

There are lots of natural remedies you might want to try first, like the above mentioned exercise, making sure you get enough fresh air and exposure to daylight(!) and not drinking tea, coffee or cola later in the day.

There are different herbal teas that help some people or natural remedies like St. John's worth. Also certain foods are useful against sleeping problems becacuse they help the brain to release serotonin, so a glass of milk or a pasta dinner in the evening might have a positive effect. ("Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that conveys the positive sensations of satiety, satisfaction and relaxation. It regulates appetite and when converted to melatonin helps us to sleep.")

Food and Insomnia

More tipps ...

I think suffering from insomnia for a while when relocating to a new environment (and a different time zone) is quite normal, so give yourself some time. [Smile]

thanks for the links dalia, i find the connection between food and insomnia really fascinating. my husband has been lecturing me about drinking cokes at night, and i always laughed it off, but maybe he has a point [Smile] i hope inshallah this phases passes soon, because i'm really looking forward to a good night's sleep [Smile]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
quote:

Food and Insomnia

More tipps ...

thanks for the links dalia, i find the connection between food and insomnia really fascinating. my husband has been lecturing me about drinking cokes at night, and i always laughed it off, but maybe he has a point [Smile] i hope inshallah this phases passes soon, because i'm really looking forward to a good night's sleep [Smile]
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
I didn't understand what you were saying about the Water Plastic Bags.
Sorry.

I'll PM ya [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com