EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » No need for microsoft office

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No need for microsoft office
tran
Member # 9775

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great software to download

http://www.openoffice.org/

Proven and tested

Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gonna try it.

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 2piastras worth:

I've used it - about 4-5 years ago - and found it took a bit of getting used to if you were used to MS OFfice, but it is highly compatible with MS Office (and of course free unless you decide to buy the CD). Its the same or nearly the same as Star Office.

I found that the powerpoint equivalent does have some differences to powerpoint where it was difficult to work something up in OpenOffice and then 'tweak' in Powerpoint - it would introduce things like boxes round objects so you either use the OpenOffice powerpointy thing or Powerpoint - don't switch the same file between the two.

Maybe in the last four years they fixed the incompatibilities and differences though.

The database was not as good as MSAccess with a maximum size of 100MB - ok for small databases but not for a lot of spacecraft data dumps containing a million records or more! I annoyed everyone by insisting on using MS Access (oh dear - paying Mr B Gates) instead of open platform databases for my data but as someone accustomed to a business environment moving back to academia it suited me better.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com