EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Rice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Rice
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this is a serious question.
My husband and I have constant discussions about Egyptian rice and I argue that it is NOT real rice, he insists it is. I prefer the regular long grain or basmatti (YUM Wild Rice, can't find that here in Egypt).

I have tried to cook Egyptian rice the same way I cook all other types of rice I've ever found in the states, but I can't seem to do it! It comes out so nasty and slimy and gooey. Can native Egyptians please give me the secret? Also, is there a way to cook it without using grease/oil/butter?

Thanks for serious replies.
[Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my kingdom gave me a few tips in the "BURNED PAN" thread. you know the first time i shopped for rice in australia, it took me about 20 minutes to figure what i wanted, i've never seen so many choices!

by the way how do you cook rice in the states?

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer long grain and basmati as well, don't really like Egyptian rice.

It's great for making sushi, though! [Smile]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True there are many types of rice elsewhere.
It's very simple, just clean the rice, and double the amount of water that you use of rice.
Example: If you use one cup full of rice cook it in 2 cups full of water.

You take the water and boil it first. Then add the rice. Stir well and cover the pot tightly.
Cook ON LOW for about 15-20 minutes (check and taste the rice until it's perfect). Usually 20 minutes is the average.

It's done.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh the egyptian way is differnt. clean the rice, and get all the dirt out of it (very important in egypt. then put some egg noodles with oil, or samna, and fry until golden (i can never get this right) when its done add the rice, and mix them up together. then add an equal amount of water.
so, one cup or rice= one cup of water. add some salt. then put it on medium fire until most of the water is gone, then lower the fire, and wait until its cooked.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:

It's great for making sushi, though! [Smile]

Which makes you a semi-vegetarian.

And I thought fish are animals too...... [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Smuckers!

This thread might help answer some of your questions: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=008181#000000

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Tigerlily*:
Which makes you a semi-vegetarian.

And I thought fish are animals too...... [Wink]

They are and I don't eat them. [Smile]

In Japan the word sushi refers to a broad range of food prepared with sumeshi or sushi meshi, which is vinegared rice. Outside Japan, sushi is often taken to mean raw fish, which is a confusion with sashimi, the properly generic term for fresh seafoods served raw.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nanouk
Member # 10384

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nanouk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Ok, this is a serious question.

Can native Egyptians please give me the secret? Also, is there a way to cook it without using grease/oil/butter?

Not secrets but some hints:
- Wash thoroughly until the water runs clear (cuts down on the starch surrounding the grains)
- Use less fat, just enough so that the all the grains are coated and have an opaque look. (Can always add a couple of tablespoons of butter into the rice after cooking)
- Use less water than the two to one ratio used for basmati rice.

Posts: 143 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really helps to use one of those heat diffuser things also. When I cooked rice in Egypt I did it much the same as rice at home only I couldn't get the heat under control, the rice kept sticking and wanting to burn. My SIL showed me that the heat diffusers do the trick. I much prefer basmati rice as well.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 9314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sooooo weird.........I was thinking about this only last night!! I know, I lead an exciting life [Razz]

It's just that whenever I have rice in Egypt (which is alot!!) it seems to taste so much nicer. I was going to ask someone exactly how it's cooked.

Thanks Smuckers for asking, and thanks to everyone else for their responses [Smile] Let's see if I can do this without burning the house down............

Salam

Posts: 127 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are rice cookers not available in egypt?
Just scoop cup of rice to cup of water put lid on, plug in switch on, and the bell goes off when it is done. It then goes low to keep warm.
Very cheap to buy, around $30.
Perfect rice everytime, no matter what type of rice.
[Wink]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
Just scoop cup of rice to cup of water put lid on, plug in switch on, and the bell goes off when it is done. It then goes low to keep warm.
[Wink]

Egyptian rice is cooked differently, it is supposed to be fried a bit before cooking .
It takes time to make egyptian rice ,no fast food.
I have been trying to get it right , I have it almost right but not exactley according to my husband.
I think that the real egyptian rice the grain is bigger.
Here I have tried to make the brwon rice egyptian style and with that I have got closest to the real thing but I can not get it compleatley right.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
[Wink]

yeah i bought that, but havent used it yet. it just feels like cheating [Big Grin]
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Wow! I didn't know cooking rice could be so complicated. [Eek!]

I just put the rice into a pot, add twice the amount of water (and some salt), wait until it boils, then turn down the heat, cover and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes ... et voilà!

It's important not to stir it because then it will get sticky.

suzy24/7
Member # 10317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suzy24/7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Egyptian rice!! I got my aunt to tell me how to cook it and my rice never comes out the same [Frown] But I guess I'll keep trying.
Posts: 122 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:

I just put the rice into a pot, add twice the amount of water (and some salt), wait until it boils, then turn down the heat, cover and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes ... et voilà!

how about the "sha3riya" egg noodles, when do you add them
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
I don't. [Wink]

I usually eat rice with Indian or Asian dishes, meaning I add veggies and sauce, so noodles wouldn't really fit in ...

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
quote:

how about the "sha3riya" egg noodles, when do you add them
7ayat , I think it is the vermicelli=rice noodels you should add not egg noodels.
You fry the vermicelli with the rice firts than add water and salt.
Is there anybody who can tell exactley how to make egyptian rice!
Is the grain of the Egyptian rice bigger and rounder than the one of the normal rice!!

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
you know in egypt we just call is sha3riya. when i moved to australia they told me that the equivalent is egg noodles. i guess they were wrong!
hassanli
Member # 10683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hassanli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a rice cooker works wonders...
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha... hassanli... i can tell your gonna be an asset to the board. active posters seem to join and post on old threads... it always makes me smile!!!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy
Member # 10393

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for candy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that egyptian rice really is some kind of pasta >
??????????????

Posts: 149 | From: england | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by candy:
I was told that egyptian rice really is some kind of pasta >
??????????????

No it is rice, brownish roundish biggish grains
Mai
Member # 6172

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heeeeeeeeeeey girls...ok as egyptian girl i'll tell u the secet of the egyptian mother's rice step BY Step [Big Grin]
for 2 persons ok
1- put 1 spoon (medium)butter
2-u can add sher3ria or no(may be u name it something else)
3-add about 1 and 1/2 cup of rice after washing it with water
4-the secret is in the next ....
egyptians used to boil meat or chicken in water adding to it( 1 big onion +salt+ pepper and some spices (mara2a))
that is used in making egyptian soap..when is diluted with water or so
any way egyptian women used this water in making rice
5-so when u add the rice in the butter and stirr it till it's coated and look shiny add the mara2a(or meat or chicken soap )to the rice just to cover the rice...
6- medium heat till the rice drink the water [Big Grin] partly and then weak heat
7- secret no 2
never put the rice directly on the fire when u lower the fire..just put a metalic thing between..
That's allllllllllll [Big Grin]
don't worry it's easy in doing more than reading [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Guess what!
Today for the FIRST TIME IN my life I cooked Egptian rice perfectly! My husband was so happy and just smiled [Big Grin] There may be hope for me yet! THanks to everyone for the advice!!!
(I used chicken bullion cubes since we aren't eating bird flu chicken lately) [Wink]

el_la7w_el_khafy
Member # 10639

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for el_la7w_el_khafy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a guy and I can probably make rice better than any of u ladies here! [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 26 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

lol well probably so since I'm foreign.
Can you give any new advice? [Big Grin]

el_la7w_el_khafy
Member # 10639

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for el_la7w_el_khafy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I usually don't give out my cooking secrets but I think I can make an exception here [Big Grin] The secret's in the amount of butter u put into the rice. Butter will give the rice a nice taste but too much will give it a strong buttery smell and taste which u don't want. For one cup of rice, about 5-10 grams of butter should suffice according to personal preference. Also use a teflon pan and put that metal thingy that someone mentioned above below the pan.

Happy rice cooking! [Wink]

Posts: 26 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Potter.
Member # 10461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Potter.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
my kingdom gave me a few tips in the "BURNED PAN" thread. you know the first time i shopped for rice in australia, it took me about 20 minutes to figure what i wanted, i've never seen so many choices!

by the way how do you cook rice in the states?

Where in Sydney are you located ?!
Posts: 512 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dream123456
Member # 9287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dream123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Don't do this with Egyptain rice you might get a bad result "labba we call it"
Posts: 1022 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by el_la7w_el_khafy:
Well I usually don't give out my cooking secrets but I think I can make an exception here [Big Grin] The secret's in the amount of butter u put into the rice. Butter will give the rice a nice taste but too much will give it a strong buttery smell and taste which u don't want. For one cup of rice, about 5-10 grams of butter should suffice according to personal preference. Also use a teflon pan and put that metal thingy that someone mentioned above below the pan.

Happy rice cooking! [Wink]

Thanks for the advice. Now if I could just figure out what the metal thingy is.....
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Thanks for the advice. Now if I could just figure out what the metal thingy is.....

Hi Smuckers!

The "metal thingy" is a heat diffuser and you should be able to get one for a few pounds at any kitchenware shop.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ahhhhhhhh!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com