EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Mother's Day in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mother's Day in Egypt
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently discovered that March 21st is Mother's Day in Egypt. What are some typical gifts for Mother's Day? How is it typically celebrated? Thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pupils bring gifts to their teachers!!! I got incredible ones, I still all have them here! It was really strange to me, but touching too!!Although I don't really like this way of giving beautiful gifts to the teacher, meaning "give good scores to my child"...
Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you offer gifts to any older woman of the family, not only the mom. Like I did give gifts to my aunt's fiancé and his mother. I don't know if everyone do like that, but families around me did the same.
I remember two years ago, I offered a new scarf and something for the kitchen his mom needs, but can't remember the name in english.

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have heard Mother's Day is a big deal here.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for responding. I think it may be too late to send something for my MIL but I will call her to wish her a Happy Mother's Day.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShannonAmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you send it out tomorrow, by Fed Ex Priority, it'll get there Monday around 8 PM! [Smile] I checked! I sent a package out today and it's supposed to arrive by Sunday at 8PM. [Smile]
Posts: 130 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShannonAmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI - I didn't send a Mother's Day gift today, just a package for my fiance. But I plan to send something out to his mother tomorrow or Friday, at the latest. [Big Grin]
Posts: 130 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shannon - I guess they aren't opening your packages too many times during the trip....
You must not be on that list!!! LOL!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Ahh... There's nothing interesting in my packages anyway. Just a bunch of sentimental photographs, a CD full of love songs and a mushy letter. Nothing more. [Smile] I know... I'm pathetic! [Big Grin]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Cool! Thanks Shannon! I was just googling Mother's Day in Egypt and I found a website that you can order stuff from Egypt and have it sent to an address in Egypt. It's www.asfory.com. Maybe I'll have some flowers or something sent through them. I emailed them to ask if they deliver to Kafr Dawar. I'll wait for their response and see.

quote:
Originally posted by ShannonAmr:
If you send it out tomorrow, by Fed Ex Priority, it'll get there Monday around 8 PM! [Smile] I checked! I sent a package out today and it's supposed to arrive by Sunday at 8PM. [Smile]

ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Try this one too! http://www.bostany.com/ It says ANY Egyptian city. [Smile]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

That one looks better! Thanks! If I were to order roses what color would you suggest?

quote:
Originally posted by ShannonAmr:
Try this one too! http://www.bostany.com/ It says ANY Egyptian city. [Smile]

ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
I don't know... I'm thinking of red, white and pink... a mixture. I think that would be pretty. [Smile]

Red for respect, love and beauty.
White for youthfulness and purity.
Pink for appreciation and admiration.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by minry80:
From what I have heard Mother's Day is a big deal here.

yeah it is a very big deal. you'll find a lot of songs about mothers playing of the radio, and tv. they'll get interviews with women who are thought to be exceptional mothers. plus lots of movies about mothers especially a very sad one with shadia taking the role of a poor maid with many children, who has to give up one of her daughters to a rich woman. however, she stays in her daughter's life by being a nanny, very sad [Frown]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com