EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Demography of Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Demography of Cairo
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,

I was wondering about Cairo and its many areas. Are there some areas that certain kinds of Egyptians would never go etc. ? And are there some infamous places where people are known to be this kind or that kind?

For example I have heard that Down Town is full of unemployed gigolos...
One Egyptian friend (born and raised in Cairo) who lives in Mohandseen has never been to Talaat Harb Street because "it is not my type of neighborhood", even though Down Town is just across the bridge from Mohandseen.

What is the local attitude towards certain areas?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No responses? (hmmm maybe I should move it again)
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

........well ok then nevermind [Frown]
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested, too. I just don't know anything about this, so I can't contribute.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But in downtown, you have some consulates, some cultural centers and so on, so everyone has to go this area! Even the AUC stands there!
My fiance hates downtown too, but he has to go there once a week.
About the Egyptian gigolos, I quite disagree. Well, actually, I have lived quite a long time downtown, because I was living there, and never faced any gigolo. Many tourist chasers, yes, who try to sell some "very rare" papyrus, but that's it.
In Egypt, from what I've seen, poor and rich people live together, you can't really say "that's a poor area", because inside you will also find rich people. Like, I was living in a very rich area, and just in front of my building, there were all these poor famiies living almost under a tent.

Some areas do have a bad reputation though.

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

What areas have bad reputation?
sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomodonline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read a number of articles, some of which you can find online.

Then I have read a few books describing the balady of differnt parts of Cairo.

Now this is going to be a very ignored topic. No one cares about this type of stuff.

http://archnet.org/library/documents/documents.tcl?country=eg

Is where I get a number of my articles from. Then I have two differernt databases Jstor and ProjectMuse. Go down to your local university and see if they have access to these databases. Immensely useful.

http://www.anthrosource.net/

thats another database that has wonderful articles.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomodonline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
What areas have bad reputation?

According to this board all of them except for Maadi, Zamalek, Mohedessin, Giza, any others I have forgotten.

Bulaq, Imbada, and a few others top the list for bad, but only because they are poor.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomodonline:
sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Sonomod is a Junior Member

Moahahahahahahahaha

ROFL

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:
sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Sonomod is a Junior Member

Moahahahahahahahaha

ROFL

Don't piss of Automatic he could do the same to you.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh I don't mind..

I can lash back on him in a much more painful and personal way..

In real life..

So let him try anything with me.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Thank you sonomod,

Those links are great!

Here is an article about Cairo Slums Quite interesting

sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Member Rated:
quote:
Thank you sonomod,

Those links are great!

Here is an article about Cairo Slums Quite interesting

Holy buckets, I think this is one of those articles I was trying to find at anthro.net. European Universities make this kind of data public while American unversitie's make you pay for it! [Mad]

Yeah its been a trend since Anwar Sadat's time to move impoverished people from some very sought after real estate to huge public housing estates. The move effectively destroys generations of relationships, 70% of the neighborhood specific trade and trade relationships are destroyed. Basically moves these dislocated people out of traditional Cairne lifestyles and rips Egypt of its culture.

Very ticked off about it.

And this is one of the biggest tactics that Sadat had transplanted from the west, and it wasn't even suggested to him. Believe me it wasn't our idea. He just went out and found the most destructive socail policy around and enforced it.

sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Oh I don't mind..

I can lash back on him in a much more painful and personal way..

In real life..

So let him try anything with me.

Better yet, why not just solve Auto's main problem. He needs to leak out 9 of his rotten worms before he ends his days.

Sammy is an aswani who manages to be very supportive of the young man love connections down south there.

Is it possible he could connect Auto with a blushing young bride and take him out of his misery?

anthropos
Member # 9410

In that article on Cairo slums - they say that in certain types of slums (they name El Maadisa) illiterate females of total population age 10+ are 65.9%!

I am having trouble just imagining this, yet alone believing it, but I guess it is unfortunately true.

sonomodonline
Member # 10499

Member Rated:
quote:
In that article on Cairo slums - they say that in certain types of slums (they name El Maadisa) illiterate females of total population age 10+ are 65.9%!

I am having trouble just imagining this, yet alone believing it, but I guess it is unfortunately true.

Cairnes are lerry of government officials, even NGO employees. So their numbers could definately be off.

And sometimes western governments through NGO surveys justify their foreign policy with Egypt through these studies.

Thats why its called the "Shadow Government". Like Egypt can't solve its own problems without the West doing it for them.

On the contrary, I find its the opposite.

If we get out and leave government and social services to the Egyptians, Egypt will improve.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com