EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Practical Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Practical Questions
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShannonAmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there large grocery stores in Egypt? For instance, we have Meijers, Kroger, Super Walmarts, etc. in the U.S. When I was in Egypt, I was always taken to these little shops on the corner. Is that all they have? Where would you shop if you needed a weeks worth of groceries for a large family?

Is toilet paper that expensive? It seems almost like a luxury there. The hostel I stayed in actually kept tp under lock and key. Is this normal?

How do most families wash their clothes? Are washers and dryers that common in the home?

Okay. Final question, for now, and I hope this isn't too silly. How do women stay cool in the summer? If they can't wear shorts or short sleeve tops, how do they keep from sweating so much that their clothes become completely soaked? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 130 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ShannonAmr:
Okay. Final question, for now, and I hope this isn't too silly. How do women stay cool in the summer?

Nude beaches ... duh! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a place that is wal-martesk. It's called Carrefour.

TP is like 1.25 Le for 2 rolls. Its not expensive but don't expect to see any in public restrooms.

Last summer I wore light clothing. The heat really got to me and I couldn't do the long sleeves. I wore a lot of tshirts last summer:)

Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ShannonAmr,

When I was in Egypt I saw also mostly those little shops on the corner, but they are very full of all sorts of things and the service is good (2 helpers per customers usually). But apparantly there are also big supermarkets, I think they are called METRO (??).
I think that toilet paper is not that expensive but each roll is so thin!
I think that most people have washers, but maybe not everybody has AUTOMATIC washers, they have those round strange washers that probably aren't very kind to your clothes. Maybe you could just go to those laundries that are everywhere.
About staying cool in the summer, I think that covering yourself is not the worst, you only have to make sure that you have natural fabrics on (cotton, linen) and then just stay indoors during the hottest hours. In honesty I think that nobody can "escape" sweating like crazy in the Egyptian summertime

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some larger supermarket type stores such as Carrefour (like Meijers) and Fathallah Market (in Alexandria). I'm not as familiar with Cairo as I am with Alex. There is a Carrefour not far from Cairo. Families in Egypt generally don't shop for a weeks worth of groceries at one time. They may buy some things like tea, coffee, spices, etc. to keep in the pantry but generally not fresh foods. My inlaws would have some meats, milk and vegetables in the freezer for future use but not nearly in the quantity that we do here. My FIL or SILs would go out early in the morning to buy the meat or fish and vegetables for the day.

TP isn't expensive but it's not something commonly found in homes. I brought small packets of tissues with me to use in lieu of TP. This may seem gross but I would use it then dispose of it in the garbage instead of flushing as the septic system there wasn't good and I would have just plugged up the toilet with the tissue. I only used it for drying purposes..I used the bidet for the cleansing part.

As far as washing clothes..my inlaws own this really old fashioned type washing machine that would just spin the clothes in soapy water. Then the clothes were taken out and rinsed a few times and rung out. Then hung out to dry. I noticed that most ppl did have washers like we do here but they were small capacity. I didn't see any dryers..everyone hung their stuff out to dry. There are laundry places pretty much everywhere so you can take your stuff there. I would wash your unmentionables yourself though.

Hmmmm about staying cool in the summer, not quite sure about that. If you're Christian I don't think it's a problem to wear short sleeved tops as long as they're not skimpy and tight fitting. Maybe bring some light cotton pants instead of jeans or wear some longer capri pants. I found some really cute cotton tunics in Cairo that were long sleeved but very light and airy. That's what I would wear if I were going in the summer.

Hope this helps [Smile]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that because it is such a dry heat,any sweat evaportes really quickly so your clothes seldom get wet.

I do not know anyone with a tumbler drier because washing dries so quickly here but sometimes I wish I had one because then clothes would dry soft instead of like boards.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, my husband's family has 4 washing machines and two dryers, but I don't know how common they are. I am so curious about the strange washers you are talking about.
I would also recommend staying in with light AC during the hot part of the day if possible.
Also, be careful about the fabric you wear. Anything with polyester or cheaper fabrics are going to make you sweat more and feel icky.
Linen, cotten, and loose fitting stuff works best in hot weather.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truedevotion
Member # 10049

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Truedevotion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder are you all muslims when talking about long sleeves..?
I was first terrifyed that do I have to wear uncomfortable clothes just because muslims habits, but one coptic friend told me it is different for christians in Egypt.
His sister is coptic and able to wear shorts for example.
I wouldnīt wear bikinis on the street or anything tasteless, but I would really keep my style, the same style what I wear everywhere. and what I feel is decent.

This comment maybe annoys some of you, but as a christian, I donīt find any reason for a women to hide natural parts of your body, like shoulders, legs...
God has created us and wants women to be free and beautiful. Our body is not dirty. If we try to keep mens thoughts clear by hiding us, we can go even to burgha level and they feel still horny;)
It is mostly thing between your ears...

I know that men in Egypt are not used to this, but in a long term I am sure they would accept western way.
It works well here. It is really uncommon that strange men say comments to you or touches you. They appreciate women even if we have tops.
But I donīt say we wouldnīt have another kinds of problems with men...So donīt attack me;)

Posts: 118 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truedevotion:
I was first terrifyed that do I have to wear uncomfortable clothes just because muslims habits, but one coptic friend told me it is different for christians in Egypt.
I wouldnīt wear bikinis on the street or anything tasteless, but I would really keep my style, the same style what I wear everywhere. and what I feel is decent.

This comment maybe annoys some of you, but as a christian, I donīt find any reason for a women to hide natural parts of your body, like shoulders, legs...
God has created us and wants women to be free and beautiful. Our body is not dirty. If we try to keep mens thoughts clear by hiding us, we can go even to burgha level and they feel still horny;)

I know that men in Egypt are not used to this, but in a long term I am sure they would accept western way.
It works well here. It is really uncommon that strange men say comments to you or touches you. They appreciate women even if we have tops.
But I donīt say we wouldnīt have another kinds of problems with men...So donīt attack me;)

i'm muslim, and i actually behave the same way you do. i'm not veiled, and i tend to wear clothes that i think are decent, but nothing more.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Shannon,
Don't worry, you will find all what you want in Cairo, there are many supermarkets, the hugest, as others said, is Carrefour, in Maadi. Huge, clean, when I enter it I really think I'm in France, it's exactly the same, items are at the exam same place, it's funny!

I'm not used to go to these little grocer shops, in my country I go to the supermarket once a week, and that's it. So I really found boring to go almost everyday to buy what I needed. But at least, all these little shops are very very useful when you need urgently something, you will find them opened almost all day and night long.

Cheap toilet paper often means poor quality, but sometimes it's ok for the use you make of it [Smile] If you visit Egyptian families, they will usually buy toilet papers specially for you -they don't use it themselves, but they know that we do. When I was visiting some quite poor friends, the mom always asked the daughters not to forget the toilet paper, and she was so happy to show me she had some in her home, just for me!

About the washers, machines are really expensive there, and since I didn't know at the beginning if I was going to stay a long time or not in Cairo, I bought this stupid not automatic machine, I had never seen something like that before. You are the one who changes the water, it's so boring, such a waste of time. Washing my clothes was really the worse thing I had to do while there!!

About staying cool, when you're home -and in summer, you spend more time at home, since it's so hot outside, you wear all what you want, so no problem. When you go out, well, even if you're wearing long sleeves, your clothes are light, so it's not really a problem I think. Everyone is sweating anyway! You take several showers a day, and that's it! The most awful, to me, is when you wake up at night, you can't almost breathe, that's a very strange and bad feeling. You feel you're going to die!

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShannonAmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

Thank you so sooooooo much for your responses! You've been a great help!

Barbapapa - you're scarying me a little bit when you say you felt you were going to die when you woke up in the middle of the night. One of the things I dread most is sleeping in a hot, stuffy room. I can't sleep unless I'm totally comfortable. I wonder if I can transport my air conditioner on the plane! [Frown]

Posts: 130 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi everyone!

Barbapapa - you're scarying me a little bit when you say you felt you were going to die when you woke up in the middle of the night. One of the things I dread most is sleeping in a hot, stuffy room. I can't sleep unless I'm totally comfortable. I wonder if I can transport my air conditioner on the plane! [Frown]

why transport it? just get one from egypt. i never slept without it when i lived there. good luck [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Oops! A smile to say thanks again! [Smile]

Do you ever notice how much these little graemlins help? If you're unsure as to whether or not someone is really upset or just joking around, you can always look for the graemlin. [Big Grin]

ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
quote:
Hi everyone!

why transport it? just get one from egypt. i never slept without it when i lived there. good luck [Smile]
I know. I was kidding. [Smile] I will definitely buy one when I'm there. Thanks! [Smile]
EQUILIBRIUM
Member # 10527

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EQUILIBRIUM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No , not all of us are muslims , and nobody told u to wear long sleaves ,
(this comment maybe annoys.....) no it doesn`t , as u said (as a christian) , i don`t question what u do to be a good christian , don`t question mine...

(i know they would accept western way.) , hmmm..so u want the whole world to be a western world ? , ok lets get rid of east , south and north .. combine them all into WEST...

at last i have nothing against christians , westerns or anybody , but i appreciate that people would be more reasonable..

Posts: 10 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7ayat, I think its like $3,000 pounds for AC there, does that sound right?
I just remember it is like twice as expensive as a window unit here.
So Shannon, you might want to budget for that when you go, if you need to. Find out from whoever you will visit? With the low cost of almost everything else, including rent if you have a flat, its probably worth it.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
I mean pounds not $$ hahaha
EQUILIBRIUM
Member # 10527

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EQUILIBRIUM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess its around 2000 pounds...
Posts: 10 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EQUILIBRIUM:

(i know they would accept western way.) , hmmm..so u want the whole world to be a western world ? , ok lets get rid of east , south and north .. combine them all into WEST...

Look at the USA: it's not only west.
It's North, East, South and West in the same country.

This is why i respect and admire this country: he's never tired in getting inspired .

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Of course you can wear shorts in Egypt. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it on the streets in Cairo, lol ...

[Cool]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
I found some really cute cotton tunics in Cairo that were long sleeved but very light and airy. That's what I would wear if I were going in the summer.

That's exactly what I wear in Cairo in summer. [Smile]
I got lots of them in all my favourite colours (and some Ethnic designs). They are absolutely perfect when you want to feel *covered* but at the same time stay relatively cool.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Ooh! Maybe I'll invest in some of those. [Smile] Thanks! [Smile]
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
I found some really cute cotton tunics in Cairo that were long sleeved but very light and airy. That's what I would wear if I were going in the summer.

That's exactly what I wear in Cairo in summer. [Smile]
I got lots of them in all my favourite colours (and some Ethnic designs). They are absolutely perfect when you want to feel *covered* but at the same time stay relatively cool.

where did you buy it from. because i wanted some nice tunics.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in khan el khalili they sell those knid of stuff
Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
usually they sell everything a tourist want to bring back with him from egypt
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus Cesar:

No. Not the stuff I mean.
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I'm sure it's the stuff you mean
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

dalia please can you tell me where i can find nice ones.
I am not such a big fan of glittering shiny tunics..i like the simple and nice.

please [Big Grin]

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
quote:
quote:

please [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] I think those glittering shiny tunics would fit perfectly on any kind of female body. And they are very airy. Really.
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

please [Big Grin]

anyway if you'd really want the clothes you want you'd already have them.
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

please [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] I think those glittering shiny tunics would fit perfectly on any kind of female body. And they are very airy. Really.
I feel like a neon sign when i wear them [Big Grin]
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Anybody has an idea where Seren can go out in glittering tunic without shying?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carnival in Rio?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
Carnival in Rio?

you're kidding me. Last Carnival has just passed, next one will be in a year or so... problems with time management?
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found mine in Khan el Khalili..like Jesus Cesar said. They have a cute ethnic print on them but nothing flashy. The embroidery is the same color as the tunic. I bought some cute cotton galabiyas there as well.

quote:
quote:
quote:

please [Big Grin]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:

please [Big Grin]

I can't really name you a store, I'm afraid. [Frown] They change their collections every few weeks it seems and you often have to dig through a lot of ugly stuff to find the nice things.

In general I find some of the stores in bigger malls quite good – the ones that sell outfits for young veiled women. There's one chain of stores that I particularly like (don't know the name right now), that always has a lot of simple but elegant stuff – mostly linen and cotton – in great colours and designs with some nice Ethnic details or embroideries. I got several tunics and long dresses there, they are very good quality, the only problem I run into is that they often don't have the smaller sizes available.

You will find some nice stuff in Grand mall in Maadi and Platinum Mall in Mohandesseen, but I've also got stuff from various stores in downtown and Mohandesseen. And there's also a guy in the tentmaker's street who sells very basic and cheap tunics some of which are quite nice.

If you don't find what you're looking for you can always have something made by a tailor – get some fabric at the wekalat (it's fun to shop there!) and take it to a tailor along with a picture of the item you would like to have made.

[Cool]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com