EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » cooking meat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cooking meat
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help needed!

OK - according to the bf, I am apparently 'a good woman', so I thought maybe I should learn how to cook meat so I can do his favourite dish next time I go to Egypt - it includes basically meat chops (in no sauce) on rice plus a bean dish + a potato dish + a salad of tomato and cucumber, houmous plus copious supply of bread.
So - I bought some halal mutton chops from Asdas this morning and tried cooking 2 in the microwave. After 6 minutes I tried one and it was too chewy so I turned the microwave down to medium and cooked for another 5 minutes and they turned into charcoal.
I think I read somewhere on here (but I can't find the post) that you have to boil Egyptian meat first (which I'm assuming would be the same for halal) - is that so? If so how long? How do I get those nice tender meat chunks? I've got 4 left to practice on!
PS I only use the microwave so nothing fancy involving an oven or a boiling ring ok [Wink]
PPS I have not cooked raw meat for more than 30 years so don't assume anything!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellraiser
Member # 10722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellraiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use a microwave, grill it; use some meat tenderizer, and let it marinate with some worcestor sauce in the fridge for at least 4 hours, then it will come out nice & tender.

--------------------
"The true art of a warrior is to balance terror and wonder."

-Carlos Castaneda

Posts: 216 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grill? Who he? Is there a microwave option that's like a grill [Wink]

I might have to explore this tenderizer business a bit further. Asdas is open til 6 tonight.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, marinating might help even if you are going to microwave. As to the actual microwaving, I'm sorry I can't help you, as I haven't eaten meat in a very long time, and when I did, I cooked it in the oven/stove.
But good luck! And let us know if you manage it.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellraiser
Member # 10722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellraiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
Grill? Who he? Is there a microwave option that's like a grill [Wink]

I might have to explore this tenderizer business a bit further. Asdas is open til 6 tonight.

My microwave has a grill option, which is preferable specially when cooking meat, unless you want crunchy lumps of charcoal for dinner.

Do you have an oven? If it has a grill (the thing at the top of the oven) use that rather than nuking the meat. Lowest setting.

Meat has to be cooked slow.

Meat Tenderizer & Worcestor (sp?) sauce.

Very important.

Teriyaki sauce is great for marinating meat too.

My fridge is full of elaborate condiments & meat, being the carnivore that I am.

Posts: 216 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag!!! LOL
Why no cooker??
Oh my dear lord.LOL.....
Listen..........
Put them in a grill pan in the oven at gas 5 or equiv, for about 20 minutes. After 20 mins, then cover them with hot water, add a pich of salt, black pepper, a stock cube, a clove of garlic, a teaspoon of cumin powder, cinnamon, mixed spice, or nutmeg...........or all 4. Pour in some rice around the chops but not on top of the chops ,so that all grains are covered with the water. Put back into the oven and cook till all the rice has absorbed the water. Hey Presto!!!!
You have your chops lovely and tender, and a savoury rice to go with it. All in one dish.
If you really have no cooker go to Asda, buy a box of roasting bags about a pound. Put your chops in with about half a cup of water and a stock cube. Leave in bag for an hour to marinate. Shake about a couple of times. Seal the bag with the tag not too tight. Put in microwave for 5 minutes, let rest for 4 minutes, then cook again for 5 minutes, then open let out liquid, and then cook again for 2 minutes.
Bon Appetite
[Wink]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
Oldbag!!! LOL
Why no cooker??
Oh my dear lord.LOL.....

I possess a cooker. However, without going into details, I did not wish to purchase the cooker, I was forced to do so about 5 years ago. It has been used precisely twice in its life. It stands in my kitchen reminding me of 3 years of abject pain and misery in my life and will not be used.
Bet you wish you hadn't asked now... [Frown]
I will however try the roastabag things - that sounds more like me. [Big Grin]

ninky
Member # 10736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could simply put the chops in a microwavable dish with a some water salt and pepper to taste cover with cling film and use the same coooking toimes as tootifrooti

--------------------
Do you think I look like George Clooney!!!

Posts: 155 | From: Eeeegggyyypppttt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tootie, cook me dinner some time please!!!!!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you must be living on tv dinners if you just can't bother with doing some real cooking and would rather just dump eveything in the microwave.

why won't you just do it the traditional way? it's always much more delicious, especially meat, unless you're way too important a person and have no time whatsoever

besides, u wanna prove to the bf you're a good woman, so as they say: the closest way to a man's heart....

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by focus683:
you must be living on tv dinners if you just can't bother with doing some real cooking and would rather just dump eveything in the microwave.

why won't you just do it the traditional way? it's always much more delicious, especially meat, unless you're way too important a person and have no time whatsoever

besides, u wanna prove to the bf you're a good woman, so as they say: the closest way to a man's heart....

Mainly I live on 'Upper Crust' baguettes from the train station which I buy on the way home!

I'm gonna try the recipes the girls above left later if I ever get out of this office today.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oldbag, you can also cook chops or steaks in a frying pan, cast iron is best.
Does the stoveTOP qualify as real cooking?
Mutton or lamb can get dried out more easily than most steak cuts. So good luck, I hope it comes out good.
Hellraiser - its Worcestershire sauce, pronounced "Whats-this-heah-sauce?" I just sank my fangs into a T-Bone drenched in that fine jus this evening. Mmmmm, yummy. You know what's good in a thick cut of steak? Take a knife and make cuts through the slab, then stuff slivered garlic down into the meat.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mish-mish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
microwaves suck for cooking meats everytime I have tried they turn out hard or rubbery. You are better off buying the cooked stuff from a Halal deli and heating it. Or cook on low on the stove top. you may try crock pot, but I dont see how micro can be tender ever.

Lamb takes a long time to cook stove or oven usually to be tender. So if you are going to precook, do it on the stove low,for a few hours 2-4 until tender.

My lamb which is the best according to my Egyptian friends is lemon juice 1 lemon, orange juice 1 orange, diced carrots,celery, onions,and mushrooms, salt and pepper and a little water on the bottom and I bake at 350 for 3-4 hours or you can put on the stove top.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, crock pot might be a good alternative for her since she doesn't want to use her stove.
And from what I can tell, they're simple as pie to use.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charm and oldbag..........
oldbag you use micro and 1 tin tomatoes, 5mins rest for 5 mins, cook 5 mins, rest 5 mins, cook 5 mins again. Cook total 15 mins rest 10 mins.
Take 2 aubergines, slice half inch thick into cubes, put in pan.
Add 4 dessert spoons olive oil, half teasp salt, tablespoon dried chillies, half teasp pepper, one finely chopped onion, dessertspoon cumin powder, juice of one lemon,2 tins chopped tomatoes. Stir through and simmer for half and hour or until reduced by half.
Eat with hot pitta and slices of feta and cucumber.
Yum
Easy and tasty snack.
[Wink]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
Actually, crock pot might be a good alternative for her since she doesn't want to use her stove.
And from what I can tell, they're simple as pie to use.
[Smile]

Amazing - yesterday I invested £9.99 in a crock pot - now all I need is a recipe book - I tried all the ways of doing it in the microwave and it is either too chewy or charcoal, with or without the addition of water, roastabags the lot.
LovedOne
Member # 10222

I haven't tried any of these of course, but here's a bunch of sites that have recipes. Good luck!!! [Smile]

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/feature/rbe/SlowCookers.htm

http://www.ebicom.net/kitchen/page/cpidx.htm

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

http://www.cookingcache.com/cat/crockpot_recipes

http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/crockpot/crkpot-coll-2.html

http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/crockpot.htm

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Good luck Oldbag!!!
[Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com