EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Classes in glass-art in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Classes in glass-art in Egypt
Labibah
Member # 9742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Labibah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for a place where I can learn how to make glass-art in Egypt this summer. I am going to stay for 6 weeks in Egypt.

I would like to learn how to make jeweleries and so in glass.

Posts: 84 | From: Norway, Trondheim | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The craftman who do this for a living are not going to take the time to teach a foreigner.

Possibly the BCA, British Community Agency? Possibly the AUC has some sort of program.

But seriously unlike Norway and America the "community classes" through your municipality are not the kind of thing available in Egypt.

But I know how you feel, I'd like to learn this type of craft too. Actually "Bead Shops" are extremely popular here, paying like $30 for a single crystal glass bead drizzled with sterling silver in a shape of a fairy isn't uncommon.

Occasionally Al-Jezzeraz has a "lifestyle and fashion" segment covering Arab fashions. I quick get out my digital camera and cover the flash with my finger and take snap shots. I know the Al-Jezzeraz english website doesn't post summations of these segments. And then I look and see if I can recreate some of these jewelry items here in Minnesota instead of paying $400-$600 for the same in Beriut or Dubai.

So look in your local community for these classes, take books out of your local library, talk to local artists who can consult you on learning this skill.

In Egypt foreigners are supposed to spend money on these items, not learn it and take away from the local economy.

Even so, I'd like to recreat some of these awesome fashions. But Arab fashions can be a bit too gaudy, chintzy and flashy for my tastes, so I will recreate what I have seen and make them to match a future wardrobe fit for local expectations in Egypt.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvis.
Member # 10836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvis.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The glass breaks too fast in Egypt, do you have any better idea ??? [Frown]
Posts: 260 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvin.:
The glass breaks too fast in Egypt, do you have any better idea ??? [Frown]

Dude, you have no idea how much us foreigners love the glass blowing arts in Cairo.

I think its the old Islamic quarter that has these craftsmen guilds.

So what if it breaks, its why people don't allow men and children to touch or handle valuables like blown glass and jewelry. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvis.
Member # 10836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvis.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to hold those works and touch the lines unbelieving the delicacy of that talent but then whoops it falls off my hands when someone run into my shoulder and it is on the floor endless fragments [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 260 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com