EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » can I drive on EU driving licence in egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can I drive on EU driving licence in egypt?
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am moving to egypt this friday!! hurrah!!!
I have the standard UK driving licence/EU. Does anyone know if this covers me to drive in egypt?. It works for america etc too.
I know I am mad even thinking about driving but need that independance!!!
Thanks for any help.

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Congrats, please look me up when you arrive! We should meet up once you get settled in or if you get out to Cairo.
As far as the drivers' license, I'm not sure. I've never had to use mine and never thought about it.

p.s. did the house sell?

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake poison
Member # 10674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake poison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
toot, u'll need in int'l driving license, about driving I think you should SEE how Egyptians drive before u decide to get a car or so.
Posts: 517 | From: snake city | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
I have the standard UK driving licence/EU. Does anyone know if this covers me to drive in egypt?. It works for america etc too.
Thanks for any help.

You really don't want to drive in Cairo, unless your car is equipped with a 30mm Machine-gun Turret on the roof, rocket launcher behind the grill, and James-Bondian Tire Slashers.

I'd love to drive here.

If they'd let me have an Apache AH64 Attack Helicopter.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even then I couldn't do it.....I was almost hit walking at least a dozen times, was involved in a car accident within 3 weeks of arriving in Egypt, and still can't cross Cairo streets alone. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckssssss
Yep all sorted and flights for friday. We are having a holiday in hurghada first. Back to see where we first met. See old sights. Seeing a few friends and the lovely samakwish. Then onto Luxor for flying visit. Then onto cairo to family. Renting for a month and using that month to look around the city and alex, before buying out house.
Yipeeeeee!!!!!

Snake poison cheers for that. I know they are all kamikazi drivers, been loads of times, but hell, I need my wheels.............xx

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
even then I couldn't do it.....I was almost hit walking at least a dozen times, was involved in a car accident within 3 weeks of arriving in Egypt, and still can't cross Cairo streets alone. [Roll Eyes]

Crossing the streets here is like playing Frogger, except you don't get 3 lives.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Did I give you my number here? If not, let me know and I'll PM it to you. Take care...xoxoxoxo
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
hellraiser ..............all advice noted. Tell me where can I get the apache helicopter? That sounds even more fun than driving!!! x
I love you guys......this forum is so much nicer now...............xxx
Smucks I will keep in touch and we must meet up.
xx

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need an international license.. I don't know how the one in the UK looks, but the one issued in Egypt and US looks the same...it's a little 2-4 page paper booklet same size as a passport, has about 4 lines of info, your photo and it's only valid with the dr licence you currently have. It's good for a year only.

I did hear that you can drive on your home license for the first 3 months (but you won't be able to rent a car with it.)

However, you can obtain an egyptian dr license for up to 10 years very easily (either with a lot of patience and time on your hands, with about $100 or a compromise of the two. You'll just need a notarized letter from your embassy in English/Arabic verifying that you live permanently at such and such residency in Egypt - even on a tourist visa. Your embassy already has a standard form letter for this. It takes anywhere btw 20min to 2hrs, depending on how busy your embassy is at the time for them to notarize it for you.)

Oh and while I agree that driving takes nerves of steel, it's more of unlearning really. Plenty of women drivers everywhere so I don't see why not you too. If you're going to live in Cairo, it is a great escape...once you get on the ring road that surrounds the outside of Cairo, you can be in the middle of nowhwere in 15 min, watching the sun set over the sand.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by _hellraiser:
quote:

Crossing the streets here is like playing Frogger, except you don't get 3 lives.
Yea not to mention if you don't get out of the way in time the drivers look at you as if you have MAJORLY inconvenienced them! What's up with that???
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
hellraiser ..............all advice noted. Tell me where can I get the apache helicopter? That sounds even more fun than driving!!! x
I love you guys......this forum is so much nicer now...............xxx
Smucks I will keep in touch and we must meet up.
xx

On a more serious note toots, I advise you not to go anywhere alone, whether on foot, or in your car, you will harassed to no end.

Remember to activate your Bitch-Shield if you are out alone.

Shields up, Scotty.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
Yea not to mention if you don't get out of the way in time the drivers look at you as if you have MAJORLY inconvenienced them! What's up with that???

Same kinda thing as people blatantly cutting in line anywhere.

I was at a supermarket buying some groceries the other day, and a lady wanted to cut in line because she only had 2 items, she kind of grimaced and said "law samaht..." and just cut in front of me without even waiting for my permission.

She had a little stuffed toy. I wanted to stuff it down her throat.

Common courtesy & basic manners are non-existant here.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
quote:

I was at a supermarket buying some groceries the other day, and a lady wanted to cut in line because she only had 2 items, she kind of grimaced and said "law samaht..." and just cut in front of me without even waiting for my permission.

omgggggggggggg! I hate that crap!! What about people pushing you in line to get first? I started pushing people back and staring them down....which my husband found amusing.
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey toots! so your off on friday?!! good luck hun. when you get settled i hope youl be staying on ES... missed ya lately!!!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninky
Member # 10736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
were are you moving to?

--------------------
Do you think I look like George Clooney!!!

Posts: 155 | From: Eeeegggyyypppttt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Thanks exptin for all that. Girls and boys you are a riot!!!
We will be in cairo and then decide whether cairo or alex in the first month.
I will still be on ES as soon as my life is unpacked from the shipping!!!! LOL
I will give you all the review on the shipping and customs. I know anneke has posted too on this subject.
If you come from Uk try 1st move international, cheap.......I have 18x 6 cub feet boxes and it costs around 750 quid. They also provide free packing boxes up to 40 quid if you ship 3 cub metres.
Insurance if you dont let them pack all your items is not really worth the bother, as you are not covered for breakages etc.
1st move palletise, estimate volume not weight,cling wrap, then put black heat seal like a concrete casing to ensure protection. They then take to warehouse in Cairo for pick up, after alex customs.
I will let you all know how the move went.
A bientot
xxx

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
omgggggggggggg! I hate that crap!! What about people pushing you in line to get first? I started pushing people back and staring them down....which my husband found amusing.

When people do that I accidentally spit in their faces, thank god I'm a smoker and can produce big gobs of sticky green phlegm.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

[Eek!]
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Frogger?!

You were around then? You're ancient dude. [Smile]

Oh wait ... i recognized the name too. Nevermind, disregard this message.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheers masrawi... i laughed out loud when i read 'frogger' i remember it well!!! (although it conjured up images of logs coming down cairo high street)

i almost wore the tape out on my commodore 64!!!

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charm El Feikh?:
cheers masrawi... i laughed out loud when i read 'frogger' i remember it well!!! (although it conjured up images of logs coming down cairo high street)

i almost wore the tape out on my commodore 64!!!

commodore 64?!

dudette ... u're ancient too.

i feel uncomfortable around u guys. i am only 13.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah I noticed common courtesy goes out the window there. If you cut in line here in the states there's a war. In Egypt it's pretty much the norm. I hate cutters!!!!

quote:
quote:

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wow, Tooti, wish you an easy and safe move to Egypt. Please keep in touch with us. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
about the driverlicence...i got an international one from germany, u get it for 15 € they just write down which classes (several cars, motorcicle, busses etc.)) u can drive and a pic and thats it, but this one is just for 2 years. it looks like a passport with just 3 pages...pretty ugly [Smile] but cheap... but ask me...they never asked for yet, just when ur in hotels and park there in the garage u got to give them ur car-id and ur licence.

take care have fun while drivin- be careful and enjoy

--------------------
~InsHallAh~

Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Tooti! Best of luck to you and your hubby. [Smile]

Are ya sure you really want to drive in Egypt..esp. Cairo? That's a death wish.

quote:
Thanks for any help.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
Oh yeah I noticed common courtesy goes out the window there. If you cut in line here in the states there's a war. In Egypt it's pretty much the norm. I hate cutters!!!!

quote:
quote:

I wonder what would happen in Egypt if somebody cut in front of me in line, if I just took a step forward, put my hands on their shoulders and pushed them back in a forceful way? What do you guys think would happen?
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

I wonder what would happen in Egypt if somebody cut in front of me in line, if I just took a step forward, put my hands on their shoulders and pushed them back in a forceful way? What do you guys think would happen?
He'd fall? [Confused]
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

We have a tendancy not to say anything to them for the most part.

We assume that they weren't born in Minnesota.

People not born here have a tendancy to get nasty about it.

They cut in line they are bound to do something stupid later and pay the consequences.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Thanks folks! I will keep in touch. I will miss the banter but will be back as soon as I can find a modem.
Mwah to you all.
Even you sono!!!! No hard feelings........life is short enough.
xxx [Wink]

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Hence the term "Minnesota Nice"?

quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:
quote:

They cut in line they are bound to do something stupid later and pay the consequences.

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hence the term "Minnesota Nice"?

quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:
quote:

Yeah, live and let live. Its more important to focus on the really bad things and change those.

Don't sweat the small stuff, teach them while they are young. If adults misbehave is more important to focus on teaching children not to misbehave. Prevention instead of future consequences.

Possibly that outlook will serve me well in Cairo, but at the same time alot of that "adult misbehavior" will be a shock.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Oh God there's PLENTY of adult misbehavior in Egypt. You've got your work cut out for you if you're gonna live there full time, I believe. I love Egypt and the ppl for the most part..don't get me wrong...but some ppl there need a lesson in manners.
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Oh God there's PLENTY of adult misbehavior in Egypt. You've got your work cut out for you if you're gonna live there full time, I believe. I love Egypt and the ppl for the most part..don't get me wrong...but some ppl there need a lesson in manners.

If it doesn't hurt me, only agitate me then I'll live.

I can't as a visitor I can't put expectations out there on Cairenes. In order to get rude behavior directed at you you are either a bystander or an instigator yourself. I am sure that it will take me some time to figure out how to interact without irritating the heck out of the locals.

Interaction is mutual, a two way street.

And yes, I am a gullible focking idiot. [Big Grin]

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
Frogger?!

Sometimes I wish I had a Chain-Gun ala Quake 4, and I could frag everybody that tried to run me over. And frag all the fugly chicks too. And stray dogs & cats. And people who are always asking me for directions. And people who stare.

Frag-fest baby!

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
Frogger?!

Sometimes I wish I had a Chain-Gun ala Quake 4, and I could frag everybody that tried to run me over. And frag all the fugly chicks too. And stray dogs & cats. And people who are always asking me for directions. And people who stare.

Frag-fest baby!

i believe u forgot to mention beggars. Especially the ones with borrowed babies.
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
i believe u forgot to mention beggars. Especially the ones with borrowed babies.

Yes, YES!

Good god, they're annoying beyond belief.

For beggars I'm partial to fragging them with the Rocket Launcher.

*SPLAT!*

TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for any help.

yes you can

when we were in cairo, my friend showed his card, and gave his passport to rent a car.

and was told if police stop you, give them 20 LE.

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What about people pushing you in line to get first? I started pushing people back and staring them down....which my husband found amusing.

If that happens I tell them "7assib shwaya, lau samaht" ("7assibi shwaya, lau samahti" to a female) accompanied by my dirtiest look.
That usually helps.
[Wink]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I hope Tooti is having a safe trip, prayers are with her....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com