EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Krispy Kreme in Egypt!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Krispy Kreme in Egypt!
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krispy Kreme awards doughnut franchise to Hong Kong group
By EMERY P. DALESIO
AP Business Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. — Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc., recovering from internal accounting problems that led to investigations and the ouster of its longtime CEO, said Tuesday it was again looking abroad to reach new markets.

The Winston-Salem-based snack-maker said it has awarded rights to Krispy Kreme Hong Kong Ltd. to establish sales outlets on the prosperous islands of Hong Kong and Macau. The owners of the franchise already operate other restaurants in Hong Kong and Vietnam.

"This development agreement represents another step forward in the company's turnaround," Krispy Kreme president and chief executive officer Daryl Brewster said in a prepared statement.

The first store is expected to open in Hong Kong this fall, according to Krispy Kreme.

Last month, Krispy Kreme said it awarded Middle East development rights to a group that would open 100 locations in the next five years in Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. In both China and the Middle East, Krispy Kreme will have no ownership position in the franchisee.

Krispy Kreme also has stores in Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico and South Korea.

While Krispy Kreme said it sees international markets as a growth opportunity, the company has been selling off its ownership stake in its ventures with foreign partners.

In November, Krispy Kreme sold its 35 percent equity in the partner developing markets in Australia and New Zealand. A month later, the company agreed to sell its 35 percent stake to its partner in the United Kingdom.

But in April 2005, Krispy Kreme was forced to take over its Canadian developer's approximately 60 percent share when KremeKo Inc. filed for bankruptcy protection.

As of January, 68 Krispy Kreme stores operated internationally, up from 37 the previous January.

Krispy Kreme continues to be under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission and federal prosecutors.

A special committee of independent directors blamed much of Krispy Kreme's financial problems squarely on the shoulders of former chief executive officer Scott Livengood and another executive.

Krispy Kreme shares fell 17 cents, or 2 percent, to $8.62 in early afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

___

June 6, 2006 - 11:33 a.m. CDT

http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/content/gen/ap/NC_Krispy_Kreme_Hong_Kong.html

Don't get me wrong, but I haven't seen many bakeries in Egypt that have the comfort food of home.

My family doesn't do desert often, but pasteries in the morning before family effort on a home project is a must!

I wonder if Krispy Kreme does apple turn overs?

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If not, it could be arranged?

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWEET!!!!!!!! Let me tell you guys...krispy kreme is the effing bomb!!!!! but I dont know if the taste will be the same here in Egypt....In Canada and the US, you get to see how the workers make the donuts through windows and how the whole process is done!

House of Dounuts....better try and sell as much as u can because Krispy Kreme will burn u!!!!!!

hehehehehehe....I buy 2 dozen of the original glazed donut...it melts in ur mouth!!!!! mmmmmm!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another expensive imported carbohydrate high [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim Hortons is much better than Krispy Creme. At least the ones in Canada don't offer much competition.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to work at Tim Hortons when I was 15!!! and back then when we used to make the donuts from scratch it was awesome! now the frozen one is disgusting! tastes crap!

Krispy is way better zaph! big time!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim Horton's donuts are heavy. I'm not a donut eater but if I were to eat one I prefer Dunkin Donuts.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Dunkin Donuts is amazing too...Too bad it is not available in Canada...When I used to live in Dubai, I used to eat it 24x7 and whenever I go now to the US I eat it there....
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a little girl my favorite was the donut with the pink strawberry frosting. [Smile] They have really good coffee also. I buy a bag of it for the house sometimes.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Yet another expensive imported carbohydrate high [Roll Eyes]

Absolutely right ... If I was the minister of health i would ban all fast food franchises. No exceptions.
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Masrawi...you will get the boot if you do that. First of all...I dont know if you know this but the ONLY!!!!! business that is profitable 1000000% is Coffe Shops and Food! so if you ban fast food...then there goes the economy! plus the fact that you WILL NEVER be able to shut down MCD because it is owned by Mansour and you cant shut down KFC because one big big big big hotshot (i think u know who I am talking about) owns shares in it!

point made!

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it would be a good idea if those hotshots invested their profits in improving the health services here; the current system can't cope with all the endemic health problems as it is, never mind with those that will be attributed to more haute junk cuisine coming into the country! Want a deputy Masrawi? [Smile]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
newcomer...lets not start with what the hotshots need to do....it will be useless talk! nothing will be done!...

but look at how much business is owned by Saweris! how many are owned by Mansour! look at how many stores the Tabe3i (Fool Resturant) have! look at Nabil De3bes the owner of MTI in Maadi villa in Stella Di Marri! AN EFFING MANSSION INFRONT OF THE BEACH!!!

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

The problem with fast food is that some ppl have no will power and eat it way too much. If they ate it once in awhile it wouldn't be a problem. It's the ppl not the food. Come on now a donut isn't exactly heroin.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian Mafia:
Masrawi...you will get the boot if you do that. First of all...I dont know if you know this but the ONLY!!!!! business that is profitable 1000000% is Coffe Shops and Food! so if you ban fast food...then there goes the economy! plus the fact that you WILL NEVER be able to shut down MCD because it is owned by Mansour and you cant shut down KFC because one big big big big hotshot (i think u know who I am talking about) owns shares in it!

point made!

Nothing wrong with coffee shops and restaurants. But with the obesity issues that have been associated with fast food places, we need to think twice. Not everything Westerner is a form of modernization ...

As for who owns this and who owns that, i would never accept a post as a Minister of Health under a corrupt government to start with ... what's the point? You'd be a puppet to the whims of the corrupt ....

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Want a deputy Masrawi? [Smile]

When can u start?
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
The problem with fast food is that some ppl have no will power and eat it way too much. If they ate it once in awhile it wouldn't be a problem. It's the ppl not the food. Come on now a donut isn't exactly heroin.

Car-bo-hy-drate Ad-dic-tion:

* A compelling hunger, craving, or desire for carbohydrate-rich foods; an escalating, recurring need or drive for starches, snack foods, junk food, or sweets.
* Carbohydrate-rich foods include, but are not limited to: breads, bagels, cakes, cereal, chocolate, cookies, crackers, danish, fruit and fruit juice, ice cream, potato chips, pasta, potatoes, pretzels, rice, pie, popcorn, and sugar-sweetened beverages.
* In addition, carbohydrate act-alikes (sugar substitutes, alcoholic beverages, and monosodium glutamate) may trigger intense or recurring carbohydrate cravings and/or weight gain.

As many as seventy-five percent of those who are overweight, and many normal-weight individuals as well, are carbohydrate addicted. Though many people may suspect there is a physical imbalance that makes them crave carbohydrates and put weight on easily, the underlying cause of their cravings and weight struggles often goes undiagnosed and untreated.

Carbohydrate addiction is caused by an imbalance - an over release of the hormone, insulin, when carbohydrate-rich foods are eaten. Among its many jobs, insulin signals the body to take in food (it has been called the "hunger hormone") and, once the food is consumed, signals the body to store the food energy in the form of fat.

Too much insulin results in too strong an impulse to eat, too often, and a body that too readily stores food in the form of fat.

The scientific term for this condition is post-prandial reactive hyperinsulinemia which means too much insulin is released after eating. Over time, people who are hyperinsulinemic become insulin resistant, that is, the cells in their muscles, nervous systems, and organs start to close down to the high levels of insulin in their blood. Insulin is no longer able to open the doors to these cells and allow food energy (blood sugar or glucose) to enter. At this point, one may experience symptoms of low-blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) including irritability, shakiness, tiredness, intense cravings, confusion, and headaches. Since the blood sugar cannot easily enter the muscles, nervous system, or organs, much of the food energy gets channeled into the fat cells and weight gain comes easily. Over time, however, as high insulin levels continue, even the fat cells can shut down and the blood glucose gets trapped in the blood stream bringing on the condition known as adult-onset diabetes...
http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/cadfnd.html

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
quote:
Want a deputy Masrawi? [Smile]

When can u start?
Yesterday?
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Ok..so then that means we need to get rid of all carbs? People just need to learn to have a little self discipline.

quote:
quote:

Car-bo-hy-drate Ad-dic-tion:

* A compelling hunger, craving, or desire for carbohydrate-rich foods; an escalating, recurring need or drive for starches, snack foods, junk food, or sweets.
* Carbohydrate-rich foods include, but are not limited to: breads, bagels, cakes, cereal, chocolate, cookies, crackers, danish, fruit and fruit juice, ice cream, potato chips, pasta, potatoes, pretzels, rice, pie, popcorn, and sugar-sweetened beverages.
* In addition, carbohydrate act-alikes (sugar substitutes, alcoholic beverages, and monosodium glutamate) may trigger intense or recurring carbohydrate cravings and/or weight gain.

As many as seventy-five percent of those who are overweight, and many normal-weight individuals as well, are carbohydrate addicted. Though many people may suspect there is a physical imbalance that makes them crave carbohydrates and put weight on easily, the underlying cause of their cravings and weight struggles often goes undiagnosed and untreated.

Carbohydrate addiction is caused by an imbalance - an over release of the hormone, insulin, when carbohydrate-rich foods are eaten. Among its many jobs, insulin signals the body to take in food (it has been called the "hunger hormone") and, once the food is consumed, signals the body to store the food energy in the form of fat.

Too much insulin results in too strong an impulse to eat, too often, and a body that too readily stores food in the form of fat.

The scientific term for this condition is post-prandial reactive hyperinsulinemia which means too much insulin is released after eating. Over time, people who are hyperinsulinemic become insulin resistant, that is, the cells in their muscles, nervous systems, and organs start to close down to the high levels of insulin in their blood. Insulin is no longer able to open the doors to these cells and allow food energy (blood sugar or glucose) to enter. At this point, one may experience symptoms of low-blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) including irritability, shakiness, tiredness, intense cravings, confusion, and headaches. Since the blood sugar cannot easily enter the muscles, nervous system, or organs, much of the food energy gets channeled into the fat cells and weight gain comes easily. Over time, however, as high insulin levels continue, even the fat cells can shut down and the blood glucose gets trapped in the blood stream bringing on the condition known as adult-onset diabetes...
http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/cadfnd.html

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Ok..so then that means we need to get rid of all carbs? People just need to learn to have a little self discipline.

The problem is that many people either don't know about, or choose not to think about, carbohydrate addiction and just fill up with white flour and white sugar products, without realizing how harmful they are.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

This is true. But my point is we'll never get rid of fast food establishments and we need to hold ourselves accountable for what we put in our mouths.

People do need to be educated on alternatives to refined carbs like sugar and flour. I try to avoid these myself but every once in awhile I get a craving for something "bad". I keep myself in check and can control the amount of the bad stuff I eat. I use whole wheat pastas, brown rice, lentils, etc. when I want to eat carbs.

newcomer
Member # 1056

LOL! You read my mind when you edited your post! I had written:

That is only true because the investors and governments care more about filling their own pockets than where the money comes from...sadly moral investment is sadly lacking, which is why we need more health and dietary education at a grassroots level.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Unfortunately this is true.

You live in the carb capital of the world. I've never seen ppl eat as many carbs as the Egyptians. Egyptians will eat rice, macarona, potatoes, and bread all at one meal.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Looks like we've got your first job lined up Masrawi...all we need to do now is to work out how to get round the corruption thing you were talking about [Wink]
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unfortunately this is true.

You live in the carb capital of the world. I've never seen ppl eat as many carbs as the Egyptians. Egyptians will eat rice, macarona, potatoes, and bread all at one meal.

True, everyone sits there and complains about fast food. Those are the people who eat it for lunch everyday.

I don't eat fast food more than several times a year so I have nothing to complain about.

And this westernization BS being blamed for carb overload. [Roll Eyes] What a bunch of BS, lots of cultures rely exclusively on carbs. So it isn't a western invention. Get real people.

And it isn't just modern foods, going back a few centuries doesn't mean people ate healthier, they just worked harder, not behind a desk but out in the fields as a laborer.

I am so sorry to usernames here, but blaming food, particularly western fast food just implicates you as a person who doesn't see many viable options for meals besides fast food. It also characterizes you as a person who doesn't work on being physically active, sits behind a PC too much (for entertainment purposes) or watches way too much TV.

We often criticize other heavily for the things we cannot admit to being own our faults.

Right now I am engaging in learning how to cook Egyptian foods, and how to cook Scandinavian-American foods. I am shocked at the recipees fat content and carb content. But if I lay off the junk food these recipees are healthy. Its a matter of balance.

If you don't have balance you end up blaming the wrong source.

Personally I look forward to a nice Krispy Kreme once in a while for homesickness. Not for a daily fix. Food is supposed to draw up loads of emotional memories, that is healthy. Its part of any culture. Denying that is just idiotacy. Food isn't an enemy, lack of balance is.

You can tell I grew up in a sea of bulimics and anorexics, I totally wasn't the normal burb girl. [Razz]

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:

And this westernization BS being blamed for carb overload. [Roll Eyes] What a bunch of BS, lots of cultures rely exclusively on carbs. So it isn't a western invention. Get real people.

I did a find on the word "western" on this page and came up with 4 results. Three are in your "article" above and the fourth was mine:

quote:
... Not everything Westerner is a form of modernization ...

Where do you see me linking carbohydrates with modernization? That's right ... u don't.
_Khalid_
Member # 10998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Khalid_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why must every country be made the same? All around europe there are english 'theme' pubs, fry-ups on offer and cheap beer.
Now, in Egypt and beyond, countries are bringing-in mc donalds, burger king, kfc and now krispy creme.

Why do we need this?! When I go on holiday I want to escape the country I just came from and be somewhere utterly different.
What is the point in going to, say, vietnam, if the streets are filled with the same shops and outlets as I see at home on a daily-basis?!

It's bad-enough that most streets in england now looking the same, at least leave Egypt alone.

Posts: 61 | From: England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I did a find on the word "western" on this page and came up with 4 results. Three are in your "article" above and the fourth was mine:

quote:
... Not everything Westerner is a form of modernization ...

Where do you see me linking carbohydrates with modernization? That's right ... u don't.

Other posters had, I didn't repost every post stating that, but in the future maybe I should.
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by _Khalid_:
Why must every country be made the same? All around europe there are english 'theme' pubs, fry-ups on offer and cheap beer.
Now, in Egypt and beyond, countries are bringing-in mc donalds, burger king, kfc and now krispy creme.

Why do we need this?! When I go on holiday I want to escape the country I just came from and be somewhere utterly different.
What is the point in going to, say, vietnam, if the streets are filled with the same shops and outlets as I see at home on a daily-basis?!

It's bad-enough that most streets in england now looking the same, at least leave Egypt alone.

Ever notice a McDonalds, KFC or anything else in a Baladi neighborhood?

No these franchises are in hoods where either foreigners live, or Egyptians who have resided in the west.

Its not like we are dragging in "pure" "unsoiled" "pious" Baladi people, ripping their rent money our of their pockets and forcing the fast food down their throats.

Its not like the Chinese, Italians and Mexicans went into WASP suburbs, forcibly removed our mortage payments from "saving and loans" then dragged our arses into their restuarants to eat their food.

Its not a military or imperial conspiracy, its called "supply and demand". [Roll Eyes]

You think WASPs aren't eating in Arab or Afghan resturants here? Yeah they are, and they aren't being forced to.

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You think WASPs aren't eating in Arab or Afghan resturants here? Yeah they are, and they aren't being forced to.

yum, I love Afghan food. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolce Vita
Member # 11146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dolce Vita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americans create the most sugary, greasy, and fatty food that meets the needs of human nature. There are plenty of overweight people around the world but overweight Americans are just unbelievably fat.

still remember when the american brand krispy kreme's spokeswoman tried to convince europeans: "doughnuts are a normal part of a healthy, balanced diet."

based on my last trip to england, some have certainly been convinced by that statement.

Posts: 12 | From: zanzibar | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Dolce Vita:
Americans create the most sugary, greasy, and fatty food that meets the needs of human nature. There are plenty of overweight people around the world but overweight Americans are just unbelievably fat.

still remember when the american brand krispy kreme's spokeswoman tried to convince europeans: "doughnuts are a normal part of a healthy, balanced diet."

based on my last trip to england, some have certainly been convinced by that statement.

You are new here aren't you?

Your profile says zanibar? are you sure?

First off all countries have a side to their cuisine that is fat-laden and unhealthy. Not all fat is unhealthy.

but overweight Americans are just unbelievably fat. That is a statement from a person who can't stand the fact that Americans are diverse and readily becoming genetically mixed and more and more non-white.

Anti-Americanism is becoming synomonous with a preference for European ethnicities.

There are plenty of fat people in Europe. European governments chose not to address obessity as the American government has, Americans are just more honest about our societal ills and are more aggressive to address them.

You are just relying on American's ignorance of European eating. I know European eating habits can be just as bad.

Especially insightful since you just posted this thread:

Topic: European cakes
Dolce Vita

Member # 11146

Rate Member posted 09 June, 2006 08:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The EU's Institute of the Regions has published a new website called Cafe Europe. One of the pages has a list of the most representative kind of sweet for each EU country. What would you choose as the cake of Egypt?
http://www.cafeeurope.at/sweet.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4755659.stm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 5 | From: zanzibar | Registered: Jun 2006 | IP: Logged |

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010153

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think we Americans have more a problem with sugar than anything else. And I don't really think we're that creative concocting *the most sugary, greasy, and fatty food.*

I'd give that to the Scots and their Mars bars deep-fried in beef-lard. [Wink]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

I'd give that to the Scots and their Mars bars deep-fried in beef-lard. [Wink]

We had that at the Minnesota State fair last year. Naturally it was a Brit (heavy freaking accent, couldn't escape noticing that). A woman walked up to him to complain that with all the really fatty and unhealthy food at the state fair why on earth would he up the ante? His remark is that Americans only want the most unhealthy food possible, the only way to make a buck! Might explain why he was so grossly overweight and was missing a number of teeth. lol

Might explain why the "Whole Foods" exhibit in the food and rides section of the fair was thee most visited attraction at the fair.

Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have krispy kreme here- never liked the way they spell their name. Its VERY sweet oh my god.They use it a lot for school fundraisers. The coffee is quite ok, but the donuts give you such a sugar rush the comedown is quite noticable-my son went a bit crazy!! LOL.
I had one that had some sort of fruit filling, and the fruit was very sugared but still tasted sourish next to the dough.It was nice but definitely quite indulgent!!
But Sono is right here-balance is the key. And adding chilli and green veges to carbs seems to help too LOL.
The inescapable fact is we eat more calories than we expend, and move less than we should.
We need to eat more fruit and veg, drink more water and move more and we will be fine.
Diabetes is on the rise in kids here as is obesity.And the fast food and packaged snack ads on telly are all aimed at kids and their pester power, so its just down to turning it off and all that.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Everyone raves about Krispy Kreme doughnuts, but I don't like them. [Frown] Now that you talk about how sweet they are....maybe that's what bugs me.

Ugh, but our boss brings doughnuts in each Friday...from some little place down the street, and they are to-die-for delicious! It's really difficult to say no to those things, sitting underneath the sign-in board. I wish he'd bring in the Krispy Kreme ones and I wouldn't be tempted! [Big Grin]

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Everyone raves about Krispy Kreme doughnuts, but I don't like them. [Frown] Now that you talk about how sweet they are....maybe that's what bugs me.

Ugh, but our boss brings doughnuts in each Friday...from some little place down the street, and they are to-die-for delicious! It's really difficult to say no to those things, sitting underneath the sign-in board. I wish he'd bring in the Krispy Kreme ones and I wouldn't be tempted! [Big Grin]

I have them a few times a year. But it makes a huge difference when there are so few bakeries in Egypt and the ones I have been to don't have the pastries I am used to.

There's a bakery in St. Louis Park called "Palm's Bakery" the main baker/owner died and many of this workers/family members all went through health problems for over a year. Palms bakery shut down, the entire SW suburb went nuts. They reopened. So those pastries are there as a treat when I come over to mom's to clean her house and do gardening.

I know for a fact that only 2 possibly 4 bakeries in Cairo have apple turn overs.

I am sorry but leaving home is hard, an occasional donut will be paradise.

And many of the deserts eaten at birthday parties are so loaded with sugar and fat, a Krispy Kreme will seem bitter. I am not joking.

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Melati:

The inescapable fact is we eat more calories than we expend, and move less than we should.
We need to eat more fruit and veg, drink more water and move more and we will be fine.

I am not averse to Egyptian foods, but after being sick with stomach ailments every time I visit I am very weary of eating over there.

Meat seems to be the food that gives me so much trouble.

Vegies and fruits, in addition to grains will probably be my mainstay until I get over my fear.

balance is important, but I think many expats go through a "diet" shock when arriving. Its extreme work to make food choices. In the end balance becomes key and helps plan out how to get enough calories into your system.

I am still scared shitless to visit family and friends, I don't know what they will feed me and I try my best to hide my anxiety.

God am I scared.

daria1975
Member # 6244

I agree - I like Egyptian food for the most part, but seriously end up craving something American after about 5 days. [Smile] Although veggies and fruit over there are so delicious!

I'm afraid I don't really like Egyptian desserts, though. Om Ali is interesting and I'll eat it, but it's so incredibly heavy...although my mother in law makes really good rice pudding. [Smile]

Don't get me started on the Turkish Delight *Penis on a String*, either. [Roll Eyes]

[Wink]

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

But the cakes they provide for birthdays? Man are those dense. Chocolate is now being sold as "70% Cocoa" here in the USA. These cakes here I have been told are 80% cocoa and a major delicacy.

My daughter goes to 2 b-day parties a month, and normally these deserts are only for family, but they send desert home with her anyways or demand that she stay for desert. I have gone with for these events. The cocoa is so strong I can't sleep until the next evening, I am not kidding.

And being an American they demand I eat alot, even if it is desert.

I go home to the USA and can only eat those "Lean Cuisine" deserts for a while, I mean months. I don't even crave sweets after these b-day parties.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

CoffeeAddict&Not looking for a cure
Member # 11183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoffeeAddict&Not looking for a cure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am so excited, thank you so so so so so much for posting this article. Krispy Kreme beats any donut shop anytime of the day or night lol! Im also excited because in the next couple of years i will probably spend most of my time in saudi arabia and egypt inshallah, so to know that in either country i will have those mouth watering donuts close by, that thought has just made my day!

--------------------
Drinkin Coffee Like the Lunatic I am.

Posts: 173 | From: In you're coffee pot | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHHHHHHHHH I am NOT going to miss the cake here. Every event its the same cake over and over!
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com