EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Useful Phrases to get someone to back off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Useful Phrases to get someone to back off
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been warned that some men in Egypt might try to get a little too close for comfort. What are some useful Arabic phrases if I find myself in that situation. I'm planning to dress modestly and I'm not a beauty queen, but my employer thought I might back out of the contract over it, so someone in Alexandria has had some bad experiences. I'm thinking along the lines of "Is that how you would touch your sister".
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zaphirelee:
What are some useful Arabic phrases if I find myself in that situation. I'm thinking along the lines of "Is that how you would touch your sister".

- "Yeaaaaahhhhhh" [Big Grin]

[Roll Eyes]

This is gonna be a great thread. Thanks zaphirelee!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just say....

Haseeb Ya Rooh Omak

Eedak Lak-sar-halak

Emshy Yala

and there are tons more...but there are not appropiate!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is all up to you're ability of creative solutions. Sometimes I would yell at them, in my own language, caus it makes me feel more powerfull. Or just change their manners as if you show them how you would do it, get acqainted in a right way. Or make them emberrass themselves.
I would signal thumbs down to someone. Or go sit next to someone else. Make it public by chatting with bystanders pointing at the man yelling at you. Ignoring is just great if you can.
I know there are this incidents but I also know that the flip of the coin is that they are very accesable when you need a direction or something, there is always a man or a boy at you're service.
With some precautions Egypt is a very safe country. At least it does feel that way to me.
Consider them you're brother or brothers friends misbehaving and you might find an agreeable response. In general it is not ment to be harmfull, but to give themselves some kick, they don't perceive you're annoyment with it in a right way. To them it is just some schoolboyteasery. Weird, coming from grown men.

Demiana

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and you can of course always point at you're hubby, in real or imagined. They seem to respect that sometimes.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Labibah
Member # 9742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Labibah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian Mafia:
Just say....

Haseeb Ya Rooh Omak

Eedak Lak-sar-halak

Emshy Yala

and there are tons more...but there are not appropiate!

Can you pleace transetale?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 84 | From: Norway, Trondheim | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies. When I got my interview call the only question he had was whether I, as a single woman would be able to deal with the "harrassment"on the streets. He said that many of his single teachers were afraid to go out alone.
I've got another three months to chew on that before I finally get to find out for myself so it's good to know that I don't have to worry too much.

Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Useful come backs...from Monica's wisdom:

He says:
"Esmik eih?" - "What's your name?"
You say:
"Wenta mal omak!" - "How's it any of your ma's bussiness."

He says:
"Momken net3araf?" - "Can we get to know each other?"
You say:
"Roo7 ya wala el3ab be3eed." - "Go play in the backyard little boy."

He says:
"Sada2eeny ana 7a3gebik aktar men sa7bik." -"Believe me, you'll like me more than your boyfriend."
You say:
"Hayshakhram weshak law shafak odamoh" - "He will bruise your face if he sees you in front of him."

And if he's really sticky just say:
"Ana ragel 3amel 3amaleyya!" - "I am a man who's had an operation!"

Essential additions:

"Hasawat wallem 3alek el-nass" - "I am gonna scream and gather people around."
"Eb3ed 3anni" - "Stay away of me!"
"Ghour fi dahya!" - "Beat it! (Go to hell!)"

If you need to dismiss someone badly you can say:

"Warrena ard ketafak"- "Show us how wide your shoulders are?"
"Faragna khatwetak" - "Show us how you walk?"

Anyway, always try to act like a lady...

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you say....

"yes! i would love to date you... its so hard to find a man who accepts the risks an HIV+ partner can bring... what were the chances of me contracting that disease during my sex change operation? geez.... anyway heres my number....

where did you go?"

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ana bakhod khamsatalaf gineh fil sa3ah, el daf3 mo'dam, olt eh?

I take 5000LE/hour. Payment in advance, what do you say?

Good luck he will probably run away but if he says ok, you're still lucky!

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Don't underestimate the attention you will get from any Egyptian, women and children included. As a foreigner you stick out in the crowd and there is always someone that will try their English on you, in a friendly way.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lazeez:
Ana bakhod khamsatalaf gineh fil sa3ah, el daf3 mo'dam, olt eh?

Deal!

Would you babysit till next week Friday?

Thanks

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How good looking is the mother?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zaphirelee:
Thank you for your replies. When I got my interview call the only question he had was whether I, as a single woman would be able to deal with the "harrassment"on the streets. He said that many of his single teachers were afraid to go out alone.
I've got another three months to chew on that before I finally get to find out for myself so it's good to know that I don't have to worry too much.

What a 'great' boss you have..... making sure to bring up the *harassment issue* by the locals - just be careful because the guy probably wants to hit on you himself.

Anyway don't pay too much attention to it, don't give yourself a headache. It's not like that these guys would grab you, drag you to the next corner and assault you. Really you will have good days and you will have bad days, days where you will feel freaked out and other days where you really will not care at all, you will even laugh about certain situations, how men try to get your attention and make fools out of themselves. It also depends on the area where you are going to move around. AND NOT EVERY MAN WILL HARRASS YOU - you will meet decent and respectful Egyptians too. Just dress modest, don't be too friendly to everyone, don't hold eye contact with ANY male (best thing is you get used to wear sunglasses) and if you feel someone gets to close to you just scream very loud at him "Ayb!". This will let him stop his indecent behaviour and people are going to look at him so don't worry.

Upon arrival the country itself will give you a culture shock - more or less - and you will need some time adjusting. And yes, in the beginning go out in groups together until you are more used to your surroundings, situations and believe me there will come a time where you will just hop in the taxi all by yourself to do things - and you will not mind at all.

Good luck with your move. An interesting and exciting time lays ahead of you because Egypt has so much to offer. And who knows you might find love in Egypt? All the best to you and after you settled it would be great to hear from you again to tell us how you adjusted - and what's going on in Alex. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
How good looking is the mother?

Ugly as sin. Profile attached.
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Too bad, I would do babysit& babywalk & babyshit for free if she was good looking, but now, I need big TV, Playstation, magazines and popcorn to use after I beat up the kids and put them in bed by 12pm everyday.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
I would babyshit for free if she was good looking.

Then you're the perfect candidate for us.

Yours sincerely,

Constipation Nation

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com