EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » ATMs in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ATMs in Egypt?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend coming to Egypt from the states, she wants to know if ATMS are readily available for use for her. I've never been here as a traveler and always just converted my US dollars into LE so I'm not really sure, can anyone help with advice? Thanks [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were ATMs in Alfa Market stores and all the hotels... [Smile] I used them all the time, no problem. (Oh this was Cairo, I don't know about anywhere else).
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they are very readily available especially in big cities like Alex and Cairo. Just like in the states. It's nice because the ATM gives you LE so you don't have to worry about converting it.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visa cards & mastercards work well for me in here ...i also had a CIB ATM card but it was shi-t...sum times there r errors and sum times it didnt work ...but in Cairo u will find alot of ATM's
Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was actually cheaper for me to use ATMs in Egypt than to use a *foreign* ATM here in the States...the fees are lower! [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me...I have a Canadian ATM Card...what it will do is...give me LE but then it will convert it to US first and then to Canadian! so it is a bit expensive! and for every intl ATM usage it is like $3 or $4
Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ohhh that's great [Smile] do they exchange money in the hotels as well?
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are banks and currency excahge kiosk in hotels!
Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

so the money comes from the ATM in LE ?
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? They don't just give you LE? That's weird! I have a US ATM card from my bank and the ATMs wouldn't give me US$ even if I wanted it.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
so the money comes from the ATM in LE ?

Yes, it's Egyptian money. On your bank statement, it will have been deducted in U.S. dollars, but what comes out of the machine, and what is on the receipt, is Egyptian pounds.

In the Sheraton Heliopolis and the Sonesta in Helioplis, there are money exchange counters as well. I think the ATMs are the easiest though, although I tried getting 800 pounds out once and the machine didn't have it, so if you want large amounts, an exchange counter might be necessary.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Thanks so much ! The information has been great and I think will help her so much! [Big Grin]
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whatever she does advise her NOT to take the new american express travellers cheque CARD... its not accepted anywhere... the American Egyptian Bank took it twice, then refused it! even the thomas cook (which is where i bought it under their recommendation) wouldnt take it!!!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Hurghada there's an ATM on almost every street corner!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charm El Feikh?:
whatever she does advise her NOT to take the new american express travellers cheque CARD... its not accepted anywhere... the American Egyptian Bank took it twice, then refused it! even the thomas cook (which is where i bought it under their recommendation) wouldnt take it!!!

Thanks for that piece of info, I have been thinking about getting one of those - could you use it in the ATM?

I've found my Barclaycard works in all the ATMs but as someone else said, if you need a lot, you might have to take it out in parts from different machines. My Lloyds Bank debit card also worked in the ATMs but the maximum I could take out on that was a lot lower than on the Barclaycard.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope.... NO ONE accepted it. my bank cards were fine... i could use them in all banks/atms/hotels/restaurants etc... but the AE travchek card was a joke...

when i came home i complained, and they said "sorry, you should never have been recommended that for egypt"

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
oh... and i wasnt the only one in the hotel complaining about it... i met a few people who were all having the same problem.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ATM's I have used give out a maximum of LE500, you can keep putting your card in but of course you get charged each time.

Has anyone tried these new currecy exchange machines? I have not been brave enough yet.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
The ATM's I have used give out a maximum of LE500, you can keep putting your card in but of course you get charged each time.

Has anyone tried these new currecy exchange machines? I have not been brave enough yet.

I think I managed to get 4000LE out of one ATM in Luxor!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ael_husseiny
Member # 10201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ael_husseiny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELLO

BEST ATMS HERE ARE THE HSBC BANK ATMS

THEY HAVE ALOT OF BRANCHES IN STATES CALLED MARINE MIDDLAND
U COULD WITHDRAW FROM HERE AND DEPOSIT THERE AND VICE VERSA
ITS THE MOST POPULAR HERE IN EGYPT TOO AND EASILY FOUND AT ANY PLACE

--------------------
samir

Posts: 150 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
HELLO

HSBC HAS BRANCHES IN US AND CANADA. YOU CAN EVEN OPEN AN ACCOUNT HERE AND PUT MONEY IN IT WHILE YOU ARE IN US OR CANADA. ITS POPULAR TOO OUTSIDE!

HEY, DID I MENTION THAT HSBC STANDS FOR:

HONGKONG SHANGHAY BANK OF CHINA!

PS: DO NOT WRITE IN CAPS AGAIN!

Luxorlife
Member # 9763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luxorlife   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The set amounts in Egyptian ATMs go up to 500LE, but there is a button called Other Amount, where you can type in the amount you want, up to the daily limit on your card.
Posts: 26 | From: Luxor | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com