EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Egypt
Halima
Member # 11322

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Halima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys!

I've just graduated from university and am planning to move to Hurghada later this year - and yes, it is because of a guy but the plan is not to move out there, move in and get married straight away - so I was wondering if there's anything I should be really careful about! I have sorted out health insurance stuff and the residence visa but there's things like renting as a foreigner, bank accounts etc that I have no idea about. So if you guys have any tips or warnings I'll appreciate every response!!!

See you later
halima

Posts: 9 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susy
Member # 11321

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for susy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
salam alekom we rahmatoallah we barakaatoo

inshaa allah u are well

the thing you have to be careful about is the people think because you are comming from another country, you have much money. so in things like taxis and other daily needs u may find yourself paying more than usual. i have some friends there who speak english so if you want to establish some kind of foundation i think they could help or give advice more than me. let me know please

take care

Posts: 26 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nocluecairo
Member # 10718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nocluecairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurghada guys should really come with a warning tattooed on their foreheads. I try and see the best in everybody, but when it comes to bazaar boys and the guys working in tourism, well, they are all just low life sleazy snakes, especially in Hurghada. There have to be some decent ones out there, just haven't met any yet.

My advice is, let your guy be the guy. He should be the one to find you an apartment and pay for it. HANG ONTO YOUR CASH. If you are not married, you may have problems finding an apartment where he is able to come and visit you.

Hurghada is an ok place to visit for a few days, but what happens when the novelty wears off and you are stuck living in a 'tourist town' and can't even shop for groceries without being sexually harrassed ?

You mentioned you have organized a residency visa. How did you do that ?

I really wish you the best of luck, please do as much research as you can though.

Posts: 20 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halima
Member # 11322

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Halima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!

Thank you for your replies!

Having visited Hurghada a few times not staying in Hotels but with my man and his friends I found that just not giving the taxi drivers or anybody the opportunity to charge more (by asking my man how much it should be)tends to work quite well!
So far I've had no problems going shopping and going out in the streets alone so am not so worried about that!
In terms of hanging on to my cash my boyfriend, his friends and family know that I just finished uni and don't have much of it and he/they have not once asked for any!
I really just want to find a small apartment or room somewhere that I could go to should something go wrong with my boyfriend. Most of the time I will be staying with him (which is no problem at his place) but I just want to make sure I have a place to go if things go pear shaped!
The residence visa can be optained from the Egyptian embassy - not really a visa as such but it allows you to stay in the country as a non tourist for up to six years and can be renewed after that time is up (might be different with other nationalities though)!
I know there is not much to do in Hurghada other than go out and work with tourists but I figuered I could spend some time getting to know my man better and learning arabic, also I've just finished university so if things do go wrong I am not leaving a established life and job!

It would be nice to get to know some English speaking peps before I move out there so if your friends are ok with getting in touch that would be great!

Thank you guys

Posts: 9 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com