EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » How many spiders do we eat when we are sleeping?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many spiders do we eat when we are sleeping?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 3 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually through some research they have found that the average person swallows three spiders while sleeping in a lifetime. But you must take a few things into perspective to figure this out:

1. Your location. If the place where you sleep regularly is in a woodsy area, you'll probably have more spiders there than someone in a place where there's no dark corners for spiders to lurk.

2. The places where you sleep. If you sleep in a hotel one night, and you happen to swallow a spider there, and then at home you swallow four spiders throughout your entire life, that's five spiders. Whereas, if you never went to that hotel that night, and you only swallowed the spiders in your house, you'll have swallowed a sum of four spiders.

3. The way you sleep. If your mouth doesn't hang open one night (which is unlikely to happen), and a spider happens to swing by, they can't enter your mouth.

The bottom line is, it all depends on these factors, as well as other factors, and probability. One person can swallow ten spiders during their lifetime, while another person can swallow none.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen a spider here in Cairo, perhaps I swallow them all
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wouldnt you wake up and feeling it crawling in your throat ,i have had a ear wig get into my ear thats was scruciationg noise and pain ,horrible ,never never i want that again ..
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Actually through some research they have found that the average person swallows three spiders while sleeping in a lifetime. But you must take a few things into perspective to figure this out:

1. Your location. If the place where you sleep regularly is in a woodsy area, you'll probably have more spiders there than someone in a place where there's no dark corners for spiders to lurk.

2. The places where you sleep. If you sleep in a hotel one night, and you happen to swallow a spider there, and then at home you swallow four spiders throughout your entire life, that's five spiders. Whereas, if you never went to that hotel that night, and you only swallowed the spiders in your house, you'll have swallowed a sum of four spiders.

3. The way you sleep. If your mouth doesn't hang open one night (which is unlikely to happen), and a spider happens to swing by, they can't enter your mouth.

The bottom line is, it all depends on these factors, as well as other factors, and probability. One person can swallow ten spiders during their lifetime, while another person can swallow none.

i don't understand it.

what reasons should these spiders have to crawl into our throats?!

the warm breath, the moisture.... do spiders feel attracted by all these things?!

Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r.i.p.R:
wouldnt you wake up and feeling it crawling in your throat ,i have had a ear wig get into my ear thats was scruciationg noise and pain ,horrible ,never never i want that again ..

what is an ear wig ????
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a beetle type thing, not good especially when in your ear!!! [Eek!]
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r.i.p.R:

Ok this is my big fear!!!! My mother used to tell me a story of my great grandmother who had an ear wig but the doctor didn't know what was wrong with her so he stuck a needle behind her ear and caused her to go deaf in it. But I was told it was a old wives tale. That ear wigs only bother animals not humans. That truely freaks me out. LOL
Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know to be honest, it is my biggest phobia too. I have heard stories of spiders and/or bugs getting into the ear while you sleep and getting trapped but staying alive ! I hear the pain is AWFUL and a medical professional has to remove it...OMGG after I heard this, i slept with cotton in my ears for months!
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Smuckers. Recently I was in my room on the phone with the lights out. I felt something in my hair and it was huge and black, I screamed and didn't sleep in my room for 3 days. I thought it was a spider but come to find out it was a cricket. I'm not afraid of them when I see them but to find one actually ON me let alone INSIDE?????? Ohhhh no no noooooo.
Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
recently my boy had a pig in his ear (meaning wood louse )thats what we call them here ,not nice in the ear ,but yes i had a ear wig and bloody hell i caught head lice once from working with kids ergh shite they r and one got in my ear and they make ahell of a noise had to go hopsital to get swilled out ,not nice makes my back crawl..
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

omg that's it, I'm back to sleeping with cotton in my ears! My worst fears come to life through ES members! Aahhh ! [Eek!]
Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaahhhh i got a yuckistory...
while my cousin slept a spider was on his belly on the way to his mouth...i guess,(he slept without shirt) so when it reached his chin he felt it and scratched, so next day i woke him up and found a dead spider on his chin it was all over his belly everywhere legs and stuff [Frown] it was so ....gross! he killed the spider while sleepin from that day on i believe that we eat them!

--------------------
~InsHallAh~

Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

OMGGGGGGGGG disgusting! I hear spiders like warm moist places, maybe that is where they're going.
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
OMGGGGGGGGG disgusting! I hear spiders like warm moist places,

OMG... i sleep naked! [Eek!]

BTW... ive only been gone a week... what happened here.... great to see new posters but what happened to Hore?

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

OMG sleep naked, but please close legs [Wink]

nothing much happening Charm, some nice new posters, Hor is puttering around the Politics room as usual,, but he's 8 hours later than us, it was the weekend, he only posts monday through Friday. [Wink]

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no.. hes been banned. i searched last night for sonomod... gone... and when i did i noticed my name on the top poster board, even though ive not posted for a week.... someone had to have been banned above me.... its hore.. look...

Top Posters
rasol - 7564 posts
Snoozin - 6497 posts
ausar - 6128 posts
Djehuti - 4792 posts
charm el feikh? - 4654 posts

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ohhh wow ! I have hor's email, I'll check on him to see !!! [Eek!] why was he banned??? [Confused]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

i tried to email hor but the email came back undeliverable, perhaps he's having some problems?? [Frown]
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
i dont know. ive got some info that he wanted... smucks, youve got my email.. give it to him if you can.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I'll try to get it to him, but all of his emails are coming back undeliverable...
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
he spoke with me 2days ago ,AS USUAL INSULTS ,and sono is ok has well got a pm ,
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
I know several people bitten by the recluse spiders in the states. Do they have them here in Egypt??? Or any other poisonous spiders???
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all spiders are poisonous, but most have such small fangs, they can't inject venom into humans well. The recluse bite can cause some serious problems for the victim - I'm sorry to hear about that.

Some people say that you will not get bitten by a venomous spider in Egypt, but for more information, you might like to check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_pallidus

http://groups.msn.com/Egyptiansocietyofnaturaltoxins/venomousspidersofegypt.msnw

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

i see a lot of spiders in Egypt
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
yeah, I ask because I was told by my hubby that they (egypt) hardly ever get spiders in the home. Yet, I have found 5 in the last 4 months, 2 of them on me LOL. One of them reminded me of the recluse spider.
DamselInDistress
Member # 7061

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamselInDistress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very rarely see spiders in Egypt but it is the thought of those cockroaches crawling into my ears when I'm asleep that has me freaked out. I shudder to think what wildlife is visiting me when the lights are out.

Bed bugs can actually tell when you are asleep by the amount of carbon monoxide you exhale. As soon as they know you are off to dream land, out them come and start munching. Yuck.

Posts: 70 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I've seen a few spiders around, too. They're little, nothing to really be afraid of but i'll chase them around with shipship really fast. alhamdullilah no cockroaches around, THAT would send me into a tissy!!!
Btw what IS a tissy ?? [Big Grin]

DamselinDistress, bedbugs, YUKKKKK !!!! I'm getting plastic for everything now~

AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Ohhhh we had a roach sneak in from the balcony one night. I was so terrified that I couldn't scream. They are HUGE!!!!!!! The size of my thumb!!!!!!!! They fly too lol. I woke my husband up from deep sleep and told him to get it w/ a ship-ship. LOL Horrible creatures!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I was really embarrassed, I was with an Egyptian friend here, I went with her to feed her mothers' cat (her mother was not able to be home to do so). When we walked into the mothers' flat and turned on the light, there was a cockroach really big like you described running past us, I screamed and almost jumped up on the furniture, she laughed so much, and I was embarrassed a bit....she asked, 'do you have these in america' and i replied, 'of course but I rarely saw them, i hate those things!!' lol
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
.....another time I was taking a pregnancy test and sitting on the toilie. Along came the sarsoora between my feet. All I could think of doing was to scream and lift my legs up. Hubby came to see what was wrong, finding me with legs stiff in the air and the bug running in the opposite direction. LOL That was pretty embarrassing as well.
Sweet Pea
Member # 10993

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We live for Citronella candles on this island! I dare you try and find a household here that doesnt have at least three. The bugs hate the smell of these candles so its great for keeping them away. Living on an island we get every type of bug imaginable!! Flying roaches I must admit are yucky! I hate the water rats they are the WORST though. The totally freak me out!! [Eek!]
Posts: 87 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamselInDistress
Member # 7061

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamselInDistress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sweet Pea

It sounds like you are living in the Amazon !

Do those citronella candles smell bad to humans as well ? Where can you buy them in Egypt ? Water rats, I am shuddering at the thought. I have heard stories about rats coming out of the toilet here and always shut the bathroom door at night.

I have heard that there are certain plants you can plant that keep bugs away but what are they and are they available in Egypt ?

Posts: 70 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet Pea
Member # 10993

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Citronella has a lemon smell to humans so its not bad but the bugs hate them. They are usually yellow in colour. We get them at any outdoor center here but in Egypt I dont know on that one.

Havent had them come up my toilet yet thank goodness. The worst is when you are on the dock fishing in the dark and you can hear them running behind you but you cant see them until you hear the splash in the water where they have jumped off of the dock! Freaks me out! I hate them!!

Posts: 87 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

OMG YOU GUYS ARE FREAKING ME OUT!! Sorry to type in cappies but seriously!! Now going to the bathroom at night will be a completely new experience for me! omgggg !
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
sweet pea... ive asked you this before... and i havnt been here that regularly lately (a life knocked on my door believe it or not) so i dont know if you answered or not.....

where do you live?????

seabreeze
Member # 10289

OK TO REPEL the following:

GNATS AND MOSQUITOES:
mix one tabelspoon of vanilla extract to one cup of water. Apply to the exposed skin with a cotton ball. This is safe for everyone including babies

ANTS:
talcum powder

COCKROACHES:
We sprinkled boric acid inside the refrigerator motor, inside the stove, under the linoleum, around the edges of room. The roaches disappeared and have not been seen since.

Sweet Pea
Member # 10993

Rate Member
Yeah Charm I answered you on the craving for mushrooms thread but anyway I live in Bermuda. You guess right the last time. [Big Grin]
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
oh! lol... i was being sarcastic when i typed it but then i couldnt think of anywhere else it could be!

youre sooooo lucky to live there... ive never been but i hear its really nice.

AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Rats from the toilets??????? Oh God help me!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Pea:
Yeah Charm I answered you on the craving for mushrooms thread but anyway I live in Bermuda. You guess right the last time. [Big Grin]

I took vacation in Bermuda once, beautiful beautiful place! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com