EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » body piercing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: body piercing
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone have any?

im getting my tattoo this weekend and im gonna get some piercings while im at it!

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charm el feikh?:
anyone have any?

im getting my tattoo this weekend and im gonna get some piercings while im at it!

WOW! you want to get some piercings while you get tattooed? don't you think that's too much pain at once?
Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thats a hard day, it will be full of blood and pain [Smile]

good luck, what piercing do u think about?

- when i was 13 i had my nose pierced after one year i took it off
- 16 tongue
- 17 belly but after half year it wasnt gettin better so i took it off, too much pain
- 20 my ear (not those normal earpiercing) this one infront of the ear! cant really explain good [Big Grin]

Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:
- 20 my ear (not those normal earpiercing) this one infront of the ear! cant really explain good [Big Grin]

this one?
http://www.juwel.claranet.de/pix/tra.jpg

Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germanjulia:
quote:

this one?

OUCH [Eek!]
Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germanjulia:
quote:

this one?

OUCH [Eek!]
Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
charm, where ya gettin pierced? i love piercings. Is it ur lower lip or eyebrow? Don't tell me its ur tongue! My friend once- amale- had TWO piercings in his (one) tongue..big ouch..
Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's her after picture>

http://kate.zed1.net/blog/wp-content/images/ugly3_01.jpg

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
navel navel navel ...

i am a fool for navel piercings.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charm, I still wanna see a pic of your tattoo!!
I think most of us that have tattoo's probably have at least one piercing. My ears are pierced several times. I also have my naval pierced.
Do you know it is one of the places that take the longest time to heal? I also have one other piercing but I don't think I will say where that one is!!!

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:

OMG this picture is horrible [Eek!]
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
quote:

Moahahaha!
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a few piercings.. i was looking at some new stuff... im thinking of getting a web piercing on my right hand.. and a dermal anchor.. not sure yet though.. i want to incorporate a piercing into the tattoo... the tattoo is just writing, lots of it.. i'll have to show you when its done.. i want one on my back, wrist, and nape. i had a temporary one done on my nape and i love it.. its an ambigram, it reads time is a concept one way, and age is an attitude the other.

i have another temporary one ribboned over my feet.. it says 'not all who wander are lost'.

the one im having done is a quote from alice in wonderland.. i might get two.. i wont tell you the one im definitely getting, but the one im thinking about is having the words 'curiouser and curiouser' on my right hip.. on the pelvic bone.

alice has always been a part of my life!!

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah exactly this is what i have but i dont wear a ring in it just a stick with that little bowl in the front, and i forgot last time, i got another one on the top of my ear! [Big Grin] have a nice weekend and keep me uptdated with ur piercingnews

--------------------
~InsHallAh~

Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I wish I had the courage to do it. I went with my korean neighbour and the minute the guy started to do it, she fainted!! So i took her home and never looked back.

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by germanjulia:
WOW! you want to get some piercings while you get tattooed? don't you think that's too much pain at once? [/QB][/QUOT]

Making tattoo doesn't hurt.Piercing is worse.

Posts: 979 | From: Another world | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marcella,
My friends told me tattoos hurt immensely too. May be it differs from a person to another. But I accompanied a guy who cried! Yes tears and weeping and all...

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was too sensitive but I haven't found it painful.
Posts: 979 | From: Another world | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had the courage for piercings (except for my ears) - you are a brave girl. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zohny
Member # 10050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zohny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my naval and something else pierced, but I took them out. It's sort of silly to be sporting piercings past the age of 19, in my opinion...

--------------------
Dip it. Pop it. T'work it. Stop it.

Posts: 38 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that I would have have liked a nose stud if I have been younger and braver.

--------------------

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you guys have to go through all this pain only to end up looking cheap and low class?

I regret Henna tattoos the second day I get them!!

If you so much feel like it at a point of time, get temporary stuff done, or those studs that stick to the skin.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

quote:
Why do you guys have to go through all this pain only to end up looking cheap and low class?
[/QOUTE]
Excuse me?!Cheap and low class???Who thinks so?Muslims who can make only some cheap Henna tattoos because it's forbidden for you?
I'm just fine with my REAL tatoo.

I regret Henna tattoos the second day I get them!! [/QB]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Marcella:
Excuse me?!Cheap and low class???Who thinks so?Muslims who can make only some cheap Henna tattoos because it's forbidden for you?

How do you do that Marcella?

How do you manage to shove Islam into any conversation? [Confused]

What makes you so frustrated about it?

If I want a tattoo I will get one and I don't feel religiously obliged in any way not to do it.

And I do get henna drawings done on my breasts, belly or back every once in a while because I just find them very sexy and that is part of my culture. I do not do anything that is foreign or strange.

As I said before, my only reason not to get tattooed and pierced in all those strange places is that they look cheap and low class to me. As simple as that. [Smile]

Marcella
Member # 10978

quote:
quote:

How do you do that Marcella?

How do you manage to shove Islam into any conversation? :confused:

What makes you so frustrated about it?

If I want a tattoo I will get one and I don't feel religiously obliged in any way not to do it.

And I do get henna drawings done on my breasts, belly or back every once in a while because I just find them very sexy and that is part of my culture. I do not do anything that is foreign or strange.

As I said before, my only reason not to get tattooed and pierced in all those strange places is that they look cheap and low class to me. As simple as that. :)

Why do you think that real tattoo looks cheap?
So someone who get tattoo looks cheap in your eyes?Because of what?Because it's forever?Well they wanted forever.Not just for a while.To me henna is for a child,they like to do a lots of things.And this is one of them.
BTW muslims shouldn't have a REAL tattoo.

inkslinger
Member # 10459

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkslinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its the same all the time,,,any topic about tattoos,,theres always some idiot bringing religion into it,,,,if u like tattoos,,,get one,,,if u dont,,or cant get one,,,dont!!
people will always have different views to each to each other,,,so why label people?,,having a tattoo doesnt make u a bad person,,,its the person that makes the bad person,,,,ive been tattooing in egypt for nearly 2 years now,,,ive had all sorts of people come in for tattoos,,young,old,,christians,,muslims,,,jews,,veiled women,,ive even had people travel from all over the middle east just for tattoos,,,so i think that trying to label someone who has tattoos is cheap and lowerclass,,,it just shows how educated you really are!!!,,

Posts: 12 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by inkslinger:
its the same all the time,,,any topic about tattoos,,theres always some idiot bringing religion into it,,,,if u like tattoos,,,get one,,,if u dont,,or cant get one,,,dont!!
people will always have different views to each to each other,,,so why label people?,,having a tattoo doesnt make u a bad person,,,its the person that makes the bad person,,,,ive been tattooing in egypt for nearly 2 years now,,,ive had all sorts of people come in for tattoos,,young,old,,christians,,muslims,,,jews,,veiled women,,ive even had people travel from all over the middle east just for tattoos,,,so i think that trying to label someone who has tattoos is cheap and lowerclass,,,it just shows how educated you really are!!!,,

Of course you're ticked off because it's directly related to your job. I can understand that.

And being a tattoo maker shows how educated YOU are!!!

And you yourself stated that everyone is entitled to have their own opinion, so I think people should be free to get tattoos if they want to, and I should be free to think it's cheap and low class.

What's in there that's difficult to understand?

And which school taught you it was okay to write COMMA COMMA COMMA after each and every sentence?!!

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
the same one that says its ok to put two exclamation marks at the end of yours.

inkslinger, i have to say i dont think MK was labeling anyone as cheap or lower class.. she said thats how it looks to her, and thats fine, everyone has their own tastes.

i personally cant stand the tattoos that my friends have, i think they look cheap... i dont like the term lower class but i know what she means.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Why do you think that real tattoo looks cheap?
So someone who get tattoo looks cheap in your eyes?Because of what?Because it's forever?Well they wanted forever.Not just for a while.To me henna is for a child,they like to do a lots of things.And this is one of them.
BTW muslims shouldn't have a REAL tattoo.

Yes when people get tattoos I tend to stereotype them in a certain way. Like they believe they have nothing special about their bodies so they go out and get permanently stamped in the hope to look interesting.

We pass through so many different stages in our lives, our looks and tastes differ, and it seems so dumb to me that one would get something done at a certain stage that might or might not be suitable for a future stage.

I was once at the pool of ISIS hotel in Luxor, where I saw a dumb English tourist lying to bake in the sun, and on his right thigh there was this very old tattoo saying: "Jane forever", and on the left thigh, a newer and bigger tattoo saying: "Until Sarah came along".

[Roll Eyes]

And you can think Henna is for a child. You can think henna is for anything or anybody. I don't care what you think. It's a very cultural practice in the Middle and Far East, and it's related to celebrations and looks beautiful when done properly. Like in her case for example.

Today I saw an old woman in her 70s dressed in almost nothing (hot day) and full of tattoos on the back, both arms, legs, chest, etc.. Couldn't help but think that that woman was looking really low class.

But then again and again, she is free to do whatever she wants with her body.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
the same one that says its ok to put two exclamation marks at the end of yours.

What a typically lame response.
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
[Roll Eyes]
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I don't think that my tattoos look cheap and neither of them are anywhere that anyone would see them anyway. I had each of them done for a reason and those reasons were positive ones.

--------------------

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
I was trying to figure out why I have that stereotype about people with tattoos.

Maybe because of the old Egyptian saying: "Enta fakerny eeh, da22a 3asafeer?" (What do you think I am, having tattoos of birds on me?)
Implying one is primitive and not-educated, since people from the remote villages in Egypt have those tribal tattoos on the glabella, chin and/or hands.

Couldn't find a picture on Google, but I would appreciate it if someone would post a link!

Everything we believe in has a reason you know!

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have u ever heard the terms "my body my temple" and "never judge a book by its cover" im sure an educated person like urself has MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari dont be such a gobshite
Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about this kind of tattoo?

http://spectare.com/gallery/magi/images/bedouin-woman.jpg

I've also seen women with a three lined tattoo on their chin that is supposed to prevent jinn from going up their nose.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by pablowablo:
have u ever heard the terms "my body my temple" and "never judge a book by its cover" im sure an educated person like urself has MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari dont be such a gobshite

hehe, why is everyone getting so offended by what I'm saying?

Am I the only onw who's not stamped on the butt here or what?!

I love this my body my temple stuff.

I am so thankful I'm stuck into this tight temple of mine. [Cool]

Gaza
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are so funny , Koshari

--------------------
HandsUpHandsDown is that american woman who used to be known as "ana huna" in ES! Strange but true.

Posts: 1123 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
Are you talking about this kind of tattoo?

http://spectare.com/gallery/magi/images/bedouin-woman.jpg

I've also seen women with a three lined tattoo on their chin that is supposed to prevent jinn from going up their nose.

Yessss, excellent, thanks MM.

That one on the chin is also what I mean. But I didn't know this jinn story.

But many have real bird tattoos and I don't know why birds in particular.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian-guy:
you are so funny , Koshari

Tarya2a sa7?
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

hehe, why is everyone getting so offended by what I'm saying?

Am I the only onw who's not stamped on the butt here or what?!

I love this my body my temple stuff.

I am so thankful I'm stuck into this tight temple of mine. [Cool]

i dont know about other people but im not offended just extreemly annoyed at people talking out of their asses like urself
Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inkslinger
Member # 10459

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkslinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well here is a brief history on tattooing for those who would like to read it...

It is arguably claimed that tattooing has existed since 12,000 years BC. The purpose of tattooing has varies from culture to culture and its place on the time line. But there are commonalties that prevail form the earliest known tattoos to those being done on college students on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley.

Tattoos have always had an important role in ritual and tradition. In Borneo, women tattooed their symbols on their forearm indicating their particular skill. If a woman wore a symbol indicating she was a skilled weaver, her status as prime marriageable material was increased. Tattoos around the wrist and fingers were believed to ward away illness. Throughout history tattoos have signified membership in a clan or society. Even today groups like the Hells Angels tattoo their particular group symbol. TV and movies have used the idea of a tattoo indication membership in a secret society numerous times. It has been believed that the wearer of an image calls the spirit of that image. The ferocity of a tiger would belong to the tattooed person. That tradition holds true today shown by the proliferation of images of tigers, snakes, and bird of prey.

In recorded history, the earliest tattoos can be found in Egypt during the time of the construction of the great pyramids (It undoubtedly started much earlier). When the Egyptians expanded their empire, the art of tattooing spread as well. The civilizations of Crete, Greece, Persia, and Arabia picked up and expanded the art form. Around 2000 BC tattooing spread to China.

The Greeks used tattooing for communication among spies. Markings identified the spies and showed their rank. Romans marked criminals and slaves. This practice is still carried on today. The Ainu people of western Asia used tattooing to show social status. Girls coming of age were marked to announce their place in society, as were the married women. The Ainu are noted for introducing tattoos to Japan where it developed into a religious and ceremonial rite. In Borneo, women were the tattooists. It was a cultural tradition. They produced designs indicating the owners station in life and the tribe he belonged to. Kayan women had delicate arm tattoos which looked like lacy gloves. Dayak warriors who had "taken a head" had tattoos on their hands. The tattoos garnered respect and assured the owners status for life. Polynesians developed tattoos to mark tribal communities, families, and rank. They brought their art to New Zealand and developed a facial style of tattooing called Moko which is still being used today. There is evidence that the Mayan, Incas, and Aztecs used tattooing in the rituals. Even the isolated tribes in Alaska practiced tattooing, their style indicating it was learned from the Ainu.

In the west, early Britons used tattoos in ceremonies. The Danes, Norse, and Saxons tattooed family crests (a tradition still practiced today). In 787 AD, Pope Hadrian banned tattooing. It still thrived in Britain until the Norman Invasion of 1066. The Normans disdained tattooing. It disappeared from Western culture from the 12th to the 16th centuries.

While tattooing diminished in the west, it thrived in Japan. At first, tattoos were used to mark criminals. First offenses were marked with a line across the forehead. A second crime was marked by adding an arch. A third offense was marked by another line. Together these marks formed the Japanese character for "dog". It appears this was the original "Three strikes your out" law. In time, the Japanese escalated the tattoo to an aesthetic art form. The Japanese body suit originated around 1700 as a reaction to strict laws concerning conspicuous consumption. Only royalty were allowed to wear ornate clothing. As a result of this, the middle class adorned themselves with elaborate full body tattoos. A highly tattooed person wearing only a loin cloth was considered well dressed, but only in the privacy of their own home.

William Dampher is responsible for re-introducing tattooing to the west. He was a sailor and explorer who traveled the South Seas. In 1691 he brought to London a heavily tattooed Polynesian named Prince Giolo, Known as the Painted Prince. He was put on exhibition , a money making attraction, and became the rage of London. It had been 600 years since tattoos had been seen in Europe and it would be another 100 years before tattooing would make it mark in the West.

In the late 1700s, Captain Cook made several trips to the South Pacific. The people of London welcomed his stories and were anxious to see the art and artifacts he brought back. Returning form one of this trips, he brought a heavily tattooed Polynesian named Omai. He was a sensation in London. Soon, the upper- class were getting small tattoos in discreet places. For a short time tattooing became a fad.

What kept tattooing from becoming more widespread was its slow and painstaking procedure. Each puncture of the skin was done by hand the ink was applied. In 1891, Samuel O'Rtiely patented the first electric tattooing machine. It was based on Edison's electric pen which punctured paper with a needle point. The basic design with moving coils, a tube and a needle bar, are the components of today's tattoo gun. The electric tattoo machine allowed anyone to obtain a reasonably priced, and readily available tattoo. As the average person could easily get a tattoo, the upper classes turned away from it.

By the turn of the century, tattooing had lost a great deal of credibility. Tattooists worked the sleazier sections of town. Heavily tattooed people traveled with circuses and "freak Shows." Betty Brodbent traveled with Ringling Brothers Circus in the 1930s and was a star attraction for years.

The cultural view of tattooing was so poor for most of the century that tattooing went underground. Few were accepted into the secret society of artists and there were no schools to study the craft. There were no magazines or associations. Tattoo suppliers rarely advertised their products. One had to learn through the scuttlebutt where to go and who to see for quality tattoos.

The birthplace of the American style tattoo was Chatham Square in New York City. At the turn of the century it was a seaport and entertainment center attracting working-class people with money. Samuel O'Riely cam from Boston and set up shop there. He took on an apprentice named Charlie Wagner. After O'Reily's death in 1908, Wagner opened a supply business with Lew Alberts. Alberts had trained as a wallpaper designer and he transferred those skills to the design of tattoos. He is noted for redesigning a large portion of early tattoo flash art.

While tattooing was declining in popularity across the country, in Chatham Square in flourished. Husbands tattooed their wives with examples of their best work. They played the role of walking advertisements for their husbands' work. At this time, cosmetic tattooing became popular, blush for cheeks, coloured lips, and eyeliner. With world war I, the flash art images changed to those of bravery and wartime icons.

In the 1920s, with prohibition and then the depression, Chathma Square lost its appeal. The center for tattoo art moved to Coney Island. Across the country, tattooists opened shops in areas that would support them, namely cities with military bases close by, particularly naval bases. Tattoos were know as travel markers. You could tell where a person had been by their tattoos.

After world war II, tattoos became further denigrated by their associations with Marlon Brando type bikers and Juvenile delinquents. Tattooing had little respect in American culture. Then, in 1961 there was an outbreak of hepatitis and tattooing was sent reeling on its heels.

Though most tattoo shops had sterilization machines, few used them. Newspapers reported stories of blood poisoning, hepatitis, and other diseases. The general population held tattoo parlors in disrepute. At first, the New York City government gave the tattoos an opportunity to form an association and self- regulate, but tattooists are independent and they were not able to organize themselves. A health code violation went into effect and the tattoo shops at Times Square and Coney Island were shut down. For a time, it was difficult to get a tattoo in New York. It was illegal and tattoos had a terrible reputation. Few people wanted a tattoo. The better shops moved to Philadelphia and New Jersey where it was still legal.

In the late 1960s, the attitude towards tattooing changed. Much credit can be given to Lyle Tuttle. He is a handsome, charming, interesting and knows how to use the media. He tattooed celebrities, particularly women. Magazines and television went to Lyle to get information about this ancient art form.

Toady, tattooing is making a strong comeback. It is more popular and accepted than it has ever been. All classes of people seek the best tattoo artists. This rise in popularity has placed tattoists in the category of "fine artist". The tattooist has garnered a respect not seen for over 100 years. Current artists combine the tr5adition of tattooing with their personal style creating unique and phenomenal body art. With the addition of new inks, tattooing has certainly reached a new plateau.

Posts: 12 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by inkslinger:
well here is a brief history on tattooing for those who would like to read it...

It is arguably claimed that tattooing has existed since 12,000 years BC. The purpose of tattooing has varies from culture to culture and its place on the time line. But there are commonalties that prevail form the earliest known tattoos to those being done on college students on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley.

Tattoos have always had an important role in ritual and tradition. In Borneo, women tattooed their symbols on their forearm indicating their particular skill. If a woman wore a symbol indicating she was a skilled weaver, her status as prime marriageable material was increased. Tattoos around the wrist and fingers were believed to ward away illness. Throughout history tattoos have signified membership in a clan or society. Even today groups like the Hells Angels tattoo their particular group symbol. TV and movies have used the idea of a tattoo indication membership in a secret society numerous times. It has been believed that the wearer of an image calls the spirit of that image. The ferocity of a tiger would belong to the tattooed person. That tradition holds true today shown by the proliferation of images of tigers, snakes, and bird of prey.

In recorded history, the earliest tattoos can be found in Egypt during the time of the construction of the great pyramids (It undoubtedly started much earlier). When the Egyptians expanded their empire, the art of tattooing spread as well. The civilizations of Crete, Greece, Persia, and Arabia picked up and expanded the art form. Around 2000 BC tattooing spread to China.

The Greeks used tattooing for communication among spies. Markings identified the spies and showed their rank. Romans marked criminals and slaves. This practice is still carried on today. The Ainu people of western Asia used tattooing to show social status. Girls coming of age were marked to announce their place in society, as were the married women. The Ainu are noted for introducing tattoos to Japan where it developed into a religious and ceremonial rite. In Borneo, women were the tattooists. It was a cultural tradition. They produced designs indicating the owners station in life and the tribe he belonged to. Kayan women had delicate arm tattoos which looked like lacy gloves. Dayak warriors who had "taken a head" had tattoos on their hands. The tattoos garnered respect and assured the owners status for life. Polynesians developed tattoos to mark tribal communities, families, and rank. They brought their art to New Zealand and developed a facial style of tattooing called Moko which is still being used today. There is evidence that the Mayan, Incas, and Aztecs used tattooing in the rituals. Even the isolated tribes in Alaska practiced tattooing, their style indicating it was learned from the Ainu.

In the west, early Britons used tattoos in ceremonies. The Danes, Norse, and Saxons tattooed family crests (a tradition still practiced today). In 787 AD, Pope Hadrian banned tattooing. It still thrived in Britain until the Norman Invasion of 1066. The Normans disdained tattooing. It disappeared from Western culture from the 12th to the 16th centuries.

While tattooing diminished in the west, it thrived in Japan. At first, tattoos were used to mark criminals. First offenses were marked with a line across the forehead. A second crime was marked by adding an arch. A third offense was marked by another line. Together these marks formed the Japanese character for "dog". It appears this was the original "Three strikes your out" law. In time, the Japanese escalated the tattoo to an aesthetic art form. The Japanese body suit originated around 1700 as a reaction to strict laws concerning conspicuous consumption. Only royalty were allowed to wear ornate clothing. As a result of this, the middle class adorned themselves with elaborate full body tattoos. A highly tattooed person wearing only a loin cloth was considered well dressed, but only in the privacy of their own home.

William Dampher is responsible for re-introducing tattooing to the west. He was a sailor and explorer who traveled the South Seas. In 1691 he brought to London a heavily tattooed Polynesian named Prince Giolo, Known as the Painted Prince. He was put on exhibition , a money making attraction, and became the rage of London. It had been 600 years since tattoos had been seen in Europe and it would be another 100 years before tattooing would make it mark in the West.

In the late 1700s, Captain Cook made several trips to the South Pacific. The people of London welcomed his stories and were anxious to see the art and artifacts he brought back. Returning form one of this trips, he brought a heavily tattooed Polynesian named Omai. He was a sensation in London. Soon, the upper- class were getting small tattoos in discreet places. For a short time tattooing became a fad.

What kept tattooing from becoming more widespread was its slow and painstaking procedure. Each puncture of the skin was done by hand the ink was applied. In 1891, Samuel O'Rtiely patented the first electric tattooing machine. It was based on Edison's electric pen which punctured paper with a needle point. The basic design with moving coils, a tube and a needle bar, are the components of today's tattoo gun. The electric tattoo machine allowed anyone to obtain a reasonably priced, and readily available tattoo. As the average person could easily get a tattoo, the upper classes turned away from it.

By the turn of the century, tattooing had lost a great deal of credibility. Tattooists worked the sleazier sections of town. Heavily tattooed people traveled with circuses and "freak Shows." Betty Brodbent traveled with Ringling Brothers Circus in the 1930s and was a star attraction for years.

The cultural view of tattooing was so poor for most of the century that tattooing went underground. Few were accepted into the secret society of artists and there were no schools to study the craft. There were no magazines or associations. Tattoo suppliers rarely advertised their products. One had to learn through the scuttlebutt where to go and who to see for quality tattoos.

The birthplace of the American style tattoo was Chatham Square in New York City. At the turn of the century it was a seaport and entertainment center attracting working-class people with money. Samuel O'Riely cam from Boston and set up shop there. He took on an apprentice named Charlie Wagner. After O'Reily's death in 1908, Wagner opened a supply business with Lew Alberts. Alberts had trained as a wallpaper designer and he transferred those skills to the design of tattoos. He is noted for redesigning a large portion of early tattoo flash art.

While tattooing was declining in popularity across the country, in Chatham Square in flourished. Husbands tattooed their wives with examples of their best work. They played the role of walking advertisements for their husbands' work. At this time, cosmetic tattooing became popular, blush for cheeks, coloured lips, and eyeliner. With world war I, the flash art images changed to those of bravery and wartime icons.

In the 1920s, with prohibition and then the depression, Chathma Square lost its appeal. The center for tattoo art moved to Coney Island. Across the country, tattooists opened shops in areas that would support them, namely cities with military bases close by, particularly naval bases. Tattoos were know as travel markers. You could tell where a person had been by their tattoos.

After world war II, tattoos became further denigrated by their associations with Marlon Brando type bikers and Juvenile delinquents. Tattooing had little respect in American culture. Then, in 1961 there was an outbreak of hepatitis and tattooing was sent reeling on its heels.

Though most tattoo shops had sterilization machines, few used them. Newspapers reported stories of blood poisoning, hepatitis, and other diseases. The general population held tattoo parlors in disrepute. At first, the New York City government gave the tattoos an opportunity to form an association and self- regulate, but tattooists are independent and they were not able to organize themselves. A health code violation went into effect and the tattoo shops at Times Square and Coney Island were shut down. For a time, it was difficult to get a tattoo in New York. It was illegal and tattoos had a terrible reputation. Few people wanted a tattoo. The better shops moved to Philadelphia and New Jersey where it was still legal.

In the late 1960s, the attitude towards tattooing changed. Much credit can be given to Lyle Tuttle. He is a handsome, charming, interesting and knows how to use the media. He tattooed celebrities, particularly women. Magazines and television went to Lyle to get information about this ancient art form.

Toady, tattooing is making a strong comeback. It is more popular and accepted than it has ever been. All classes of people seek the best tattoo artists. This rise in popularity has placed tattoists in the category of "fine artist". The tattooist has garnered a respect not seen for over 100 years. Current artists combine the tr5adition of tattooing with their personal style creating unique and phenomenal body art. With the addition of new inks, tattooing has certainly reached a new plateau.

brief?!
Marcella
Member # 10978

quote:
Originally posted by charm el feikh?

i personally cant stand the tattoos that my friends have, i think they look cheap... i dont like the term lower class but i know what she means. [/QB]

Your friends look cheap in your eyes and you going to get one?
I don't understand that.

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

i personally cant stand the tattoos that my friends have, i think they look cheap... i dont like the term lower class but i know what she means.

I don't understand that. [/QB]

Maybe her friends just got tacky tattoos....like the green ink ones prisoners get or something. Not the more artistic types that perhaps Inkslinger does.

I think tattoos vary as much as artistic tastes...design, size, and placement matter. [Wink]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my personal opinion tattoos are classless (no matter what they display) and hence many people who get them done regret it later on and go for painful removals. Skin is skin, it's precious, don't disfigure yourself, you are beautiful without them, say 'no' to tattoos! [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and body piercings are totally unnecessary too, people doing it because it's 'hip' right now to have it here and there and everywhere, let your natural beauty shine, you don't need these holes in your skin and anyway you might get problems going through x-ray machines at the airport ("Please, Ms., take off all your piercings right now and here!" [Big Grin] )
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
i dont know about other people but im not offended just extreemly annoyed at people talking out of their asses like urself

Well mission accomplished then [Razz]

I would have used any other opening if the subject was worth it [Big Grin]

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I don't understand that. [/QB]

i didnt mean my friends look cheap.. just the tatoos. they didnt think about what they wanted, just walked into a parlour and chose a picture.

ive spent a long time thinking about mine... and its words.

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Well mission accomplished then [Razz]

I would have used any other opening if the subject was worth it [Big Grin]

You sure knows how to get members fore you fanclub............ [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't understand that.

i didnt mean my friends look cheap.. just the tatoos. they didnt think about what they wanted, just walked into a parlour and chose a picture.

ive spent a long time thinking about mine... and its words. [/QB]

I got you.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com