EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » how can the Egyptians endure this EXTREME HEAT??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: how can the Egyptians endure this EXTREME HEAT???
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian-guy:
Heat is taking over. This is just the beginning .
But, lets see what shall we do (in the near future) when the temperature reaches 50 degrees centigrade celsius.
I 'll apply for an immigration to Alaska or maybe Russia .
What about you ?

sorry for the late answer, i've just returned from holiday.
i went to finland and latvia,at least finland is a very nice country with very good temperatures, even in summer. it was always about 25°C, and the people are so nice and intelligent, i guess if i would immigrate, then to finland! [Smile] russia- i don't know.

as for the 50°C, i still don't want to believe in that theory to be honest...it's getting hotter, alright, but 50°C??? that would be horrible! [Frown]

Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Egypt in 04-05, we constantly had cockroaches in our flat although it was clean and we never let food out. But the roaches were usually very small; baby ones, not the fat disgusting one like on the picture you posted the link for.

Then I moved to Washington DC in 05-06 and although our flat was also very clean (my roommate was a total nut clean freak), the building was old and there were LOTS of FAT cockroaches. Disgusting. They also run all over the sidewalks at night. Ive never seen so many fat cockroaches than when I was in DC and rats as well, lots of them in the streets. I guess DC picks up all the cats!

Thank God, now I am moving back to Cairo!

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for concernedforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys talk about the heat in Egypt, well, what about the heat in Iraq? I heard that one day it got up to 146 degrees Farenheit there last summer when the soldiers were fighting. Can you imagine being in that heat?
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by germanjulia:
hi!

i was just sitting in my attic apartment and thought i had to throw up or die or both.
it's 35°C in hannover and that is SO not my cup of tea. Thank god i'll be off to finland on saturday. Thank god!

[Big Grin] This one brought a smile on my face. The humidity is awful here in my city I live in, of course this is located by the sea. So when it's over +25C I just hate it. Sure it was hot in Luxor too in June but it was ok because of the dry climate.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Finland [Smile] This is the perfect place to visit summertime.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the people in any place are adjusted to its weather. i remember going to luxor in january, it was very hot for us and we walked around in shorts and short sleeves. for the locals this was one of the coldest winters they experienced n they were walking around so heavily dressed.

I guess no one should be surprised then that Egyptians are able to deal with the heat, cos that's the normal weather for them

The issue is about living with something for so long you no longer take notice of it, perhaps u never do if you are born with it. This reminds about talking to someone about that certain smell i get from any African I'm standing close to (no offense), and it turns out they also say that white people emmit a certain smell. I never knew I had one until then, ann they probably never knew they have it.

Now something tells me when I go to the states in a few days packing tropical it'll be cold for me even though it's the middle of the summer. But i guess the definition of summer for locals is different than ours

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:

Then I moved to Washington DC in 05-06 and although our flat was also very clean (my roommate was a total nut clean freak), the building was old and there were LOTS of FAT cockroaches. Disgusting.

I think thats the "American Cockroach" the smaller ones are the ones you get from having an unclean home (at least in the USA).

The American Cockroach comes up from the sewer and often its when there is foundation problems or the sewer system is overwhelmed.

I don't know what the heck species of roach is in the Delta region but they are loud and large. I couldn't sleep for the first few days on my first trip because I had seen a handful of them in the second floor apartment's bathroom.

Eventually I did sleep but not for long periods.

Didn't see a roach in my apartment until I moved to downtown and the sewer system here is overwhelmed so I got to see my first roach in the flesh. Which is good because if I saw my first roach in Egypt I would've rescheduled my flight home 10 days early. [Big Grin]

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just got back from new york and i'll take egypt's dry heat over that wet mid-atlantic crap any day of the week!

and ahhh, cockroaches...had those huge flying ones in florida and lots in thailand...gotta love all God's creatures! hee hee

--------------------
"It's very important to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel." ~Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best ways to endure heat is to drink a lot of water. It somehow lowers the body temperature and coolens. When I walked in the streets in Cairo I tried to walk slowly and it worked, I could endure the heat and my sweat was less. Also wear light and loose clothes made of cotton or linen and with light colours, like the Egyptians do.
About the cockroaches, I guess it is not a matter of a dirty or a clean house, they can be everywhere. They are in such amounts in Cairo and Alex because so many people live there and the sewage system is a hell. Living in the upper floors also helps. Use insecticides and disinfect the place you live and most of them will disappear.

Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com